Saint Greg's Splendor - Seattle to Alaska - Live - May 24-31

Saint Greg

1 hour ago, BasicSailor said:

Perhaps retitle the thread, how to catch covid in ________________-😶

I couldn’t tell you how to do that. I didn’t do anything different than my other three cruises where I didn’t catch covid…except for eating that Indian food buffet…..

Closing brunch at noon and no burritos means more buffet. Their bbq is buffet as well which is weird. They have people behind the counter just standing there. On other ships they serve splendor they just stand there.

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

My guess is they were born the same year.

Maybe. Then I would not be surprised if they were both 1984 next year...

Edited by icft

Sorry to hear you are sick Greg. I'm glad this happened after you got home.

My cousin (American) returned from an Alaska Vancouver cruise on May 25th , tested positive at the airport and is still unable to fly home.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Funsince1983 said:

I will have you know - I single-handedly brought down the median age on my Alaska cruise. 🤣

LOL!!  I went on my first Alaskan cruise in my early 30s (2005), with two of my girlfriends, back when we were all single. Ahead of time, it sounded so adventurous and exciting. Imagine our surprise to find the ship filled with more scooters and oxygen tanks than I'd ever seen in one place in my life. I had no idea that Alaskan cruises had that stereotype/demographic. It was September, so there were virtually no young families with kids. And we were the only singles we encountered on board. So funny. Still had a fantastic time.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

So sorry Greg...but at least you're at home....also classic symptoms....food yucky...no smell...fatigue...cough and headache....second time around for me was much worse than first...but then  I had the antibodies the first time....hope you don't feel too bad...lots of liquids...rest....take care!

• Like 6

On 5/31/2022 at 10:24 PM, Saint Greg said:

Then I board Carnival Magic for a 5-day overnight Bermuda cruise.

I’m looking forward to this! I’ve been eyeing the Magic cruise to Bermuda, though I am leaning towards going out of Norfolk. I was on another cruise at same time as this review but enjoyed catching up! Alaska cruise is definitely on my bucket list someday (though I spent 2 weeks there in the winter about 25 years ago). Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

Guest BasicSailor
10 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I couldn’t tell you how to do that. I didn’t do anything different than my other three cruises where I didn’t catch covid…except for eating that Indian food buffet…..

Closing brunch at noon and no burritos means more buffet. Their bbq is buffet as well which is weird. They have people behind the counter just standing there. On other ships they serve splendor they just stand there.

Well, you crossed all the T's and dotted all the i's and still caught Covid.  Not much else you could have done other than not get on the ship. Or perhaps wear a mask all over the ship and beyond. Most ships are showing up in the orange these days according to the CDC charts anyways. I suspect we are missing quite a few reports where as a person caught Covid on a cruise ship.  Hoping this is only a bug and you recover quickly, as you have a few more booked I'm sure.

I feel pretty good today. Working from home but I feel like I could go to work honestly. I just have a little bit of of cough. Not continuously. Like one cough every half hour or something. The headache is gone but if I moved my eyes like to look up, it feels sore. Bacon and eggs tastes normal but any kind of sauce I smell still smells like the food tasted yesterday.

• Like 12

14 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

I developed a bit of a cough yesterday. Didn’t think much of it. Some other people in my department are out sick this week. It was mentioned by my boss today that something non-covid is going around. 

I had a sandwich for lunch and it tasted nasty. I just threw it away thinking it was bad. On my way home from work I started to get a bit of a headache. Then tonight dinner tasted just as bad as lunch did. That’s when I knew I needed to test. The headache is much worse now.

I also came home from Alaska with Covid.  We got back to San Francisco on Thursday and Friday night in SF I had a scratchy throat at dinner.  I said to my husband I hope I'm not getting sick.  Flew home on the red eye Saturday night, tested positive on Sunday morning.  Was miserable for a week.

Hope you feel better!

Edited by hapytobehr
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Could've easily been from the flight home and not from the cruise. 😉  Glad to hear you are feeling better.

26 minutes ago, smwg said:

Could've easily been from the flight home and not from the cruise. 😉  Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Maybe but doubt it. I was in the front row of the plane. Nobody seemed sick. I’m not the only one.  A lot of people from my cruise have it. It’s hanging right around 30% of people who have responded. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

I feel pretty good today. Working from home but I feel like I could go to work honestly. I just have a little bit of of cough. Not continuously. Like one cough every half hour or something. The headache is gone but if I moved my eyes like to look up, it feels sore. Bacon and eggs tastes normal but any kind of sauce I smell still smells like the food tasted yesterday.

What kind of sauces are we smelling? 

• Haha 1

Guest BasicSailor
8 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

What kind of sauces are we smelling? 

I'm not touching that, I'm old and dirty and I haven't had a bath since last Tuesday🤣. For those that just missed the ship on my warped humor, just kidding people.

Edited by BasicSailor