MDR Takeout Only

Can you get takeout from the MDR if you have ATD reservations but do not actually “show up” and eat in the MDR? I’m traveling this summer with my 87 year old mother who has suffered 2 mini strokes during the last couple of years and eating can be a messy affair.  So, she prefers not to eat in public. We do have ATD reservations, but will probably cancel those to give other guests our table. I know that we could order room service each night, but I would prefer to avoid the $7.95 charge and just pickup our food myself. She just doesn’t want WJ food every evening and would like to have some of the main dining room menu choices such as prime rib or lobster. 
This will be her first cruise since her health struggles! Thanks in advance for any advice! 

16 minutes ago, Veinless said:

I don’t know if Royal Caribbean does it, but Carnival would always give us our dessert plated and with a to-go cover on it, when we asked. 

Royal will do this too, however the OP is talking about taking appetizers, entrees, and desserts for two people back to their room.  If you've carried a covered plate back to your room, can you imagine how difficult it would be to carry SIX covered dishes at one time by one person?

• Thanks 1

Hi @blueeyescruiser. I don’t know the answer to your MDR question. Royal Caribbean has a department that assists guests with special medical needs. Here is the contact info from RC’s website. I hope they help you find a way to get your Mother the dinners she prefers. Best wishes.

Call our Access Department at (866) 592-7225,  or send an e-mail to special_needs@rccl.com, or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us. Our fax number is
(954) 628-9622.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

So when we sailed with my nieces the little stinker 2 year old fell asleep at the table a few times. The waiters always brought out her meal to go at the end in case she woke up hungry on the way back to the room. 

So it is possible. But like others said carrying more than a plate or two will be hard. 

• Thanks 1

I'm on grandeur where Mdr meals are often taking up to 2 hours. 70% staff and 90% full or more. 

I read that blogger who was talking about how hard it is for rcl to hire. They especially need dining and bar staff he says. Asking for them to give you a to go meal when they can barely cope as it is would be a huge imposition imo.

If you want to being her food go to the WJ and make her a plate and being it to her or pay for room service. Believe me my Mdr wait staff can barely refill drinks and get us our food in a timely manner. Until staffing is up to 100% I think it will be up to you to get it if you dont like room service.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm on grandeur where Mdr meals are often taking up to 2 hours. 70% staff and 90% full or more. 

I read that blogger who was talking about how hard it is for rcl to hire. They especially need dining and bar staff he says. Asking for them to give you a to go meal when they can barely cope as it is would be a huge imposition imo.

If you want to being her food go to the WJ and make her a plate and being it to her or pay for room service. Believe me my Mdr wait staff can barely refill drinks and get us our food in a timely manner. Until staffing is up to 100% I think it will be up to you to get it if you dont like room service.

Agree with WindJammer, fill a Plate & take back to Cabin, this is better way. I eat at least 1/3 my Meals from there in my Room this way

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Just remember the WJ staff can give you a cover for your plate...just ask.

And they can give you a tray to make it easier to carry.  Again, just ask the folks standing in the doorway telling you to wash your hands. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ladychater said:

And they can give you a tray to make it easier to carry.  Again, just ask the folks standing in the doorway telling you to wash your hands. 

The "Washy Washy" person, not really their job ...Just ask the upper staff (in suits) in the WJ...their the ones that can and will take care of anything you might need.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, blueeyescruiser said:

Can you get takeout from the MDR if you have ATD reservations but do not actually “show up” and eat in the MDR? I’m traveling this summer with my 87 year old mother who has suffered 2 mini strokes during the last couple of years and eating can be a messy affair.  So, she prefers not to eat in public. We do have ATD reservations, but will probably cancel those to give other guests our table. I know that we could order room service each night, but I would prefer to avoid the $7.95 charge and just pickup our food myself. She just doesn’t want WJ food every evening and would like to have some of the main dining room menu choices such as prime rib or lobster. 
This will be her first cruise since her health struggles! Thanks in advance for any advice! 

My DH and I always take full meals to go from the MDR. He works swing shift and it is hard for us to adjust for 1-3 weeks.
Talk with the waitstaff and explain it to him/her. There are times we have put the entree(s) and/or apps on one plate and there are times the waiter did. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just in case.  I'd bring a supply of plastic tupperware and just do your own To-Go.

Or better... if you don't want to deal with WASHING the tupperware in cabin..

Before cruise, go to a local restaurant supply store.  Buy a supply of foil containers with lids, or styrofoam containers for about $10.  Some of the latino groceries and Dollar stores, also have them in the housewares section. 

Bring them aboard and use them to take food from MDR.  Dispose of used containers in trash.

Just good to have as a backup.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Just in case.  I'd bring a supply of plastic tupperware and just do your own To-Go.

Or better... if you don't want to deal with WASHING the tupperware in cabin..

Before cruise, go to a local restaurant supply store.  Buy a supply of foil containers with lids, or styrofoam containers for about $10.  Some of the latino groceries and Dollar stores, also have them in the housewares section. 

Bring them aboard and use them to take food from MDR.  Dispose of used containers in trash.

Just good to have as a backup.

Why bother packing all that when you can get plates and covers with silverware from the MDR or WJ

I wouldn't want to pack all that, and we drive to the port 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My advice would be change to early dining, go to see matitre d ,before ship sails, explain ... he will probably. Agree to send up food in order to have table

Especially if you tip him a 20 on the spot

But you would have to probably go back on the nights you actually  want the food , to order with him

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, blueeyescruiser said:

You will be just fine getting a couple meals to take back to the cabin for your Mother.   If you plan on eating in the MDR yourself and simply taking a meal to her you could speak with Head Waiter for your area and they will take good care of you.

We had a member of our party get a little too much sun one day and she didn't want to get dressed for dining room.   When the head waiter was walking around and checking on everyone we asked and he put in an order and bought it out to us when we were finishing our deserts.  He did a great job with packing up a full dinner for her.

Great to her she will be cruising.  I hope you all have a great cruise🤩

• Thanks 1

Daughter loves the India food our waiter brought her in the MDR.  One night she went to CK with my son instead & the waiter put a whole dinner together for me to bring back to the room for her.  Also the night son enjoyed his drink package a little too much.  Full dinner to go for him.  It’s not hard to slap a cover on an already plated meal.

• Thanks 1