Stateroom Door Decorations

ScottC4746

I used to poo-poo the idea of door decorations thinking they were tacky and cheapened the cruise experience, but as I get older, I am starting to understand the need to have them.  

I was thinking of picking up a couple of "Alaska themed" magnets.  Does anyone know of any brick-and-mortar stores to find a few for the cruise?  I am having a hard time looking on-line.  We have Michael's, Jo Anne's, and if I have to Hobby Lobby.  I try not to buy through Amazon if I can help it.

5 minutes ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

We had this made so we can find our cabin after we leave the Martini Bar.....😁😅🤣😂

May be an image of tortoise, indoor and text that says 'Sailing Through Life Dave & Deanna One Celebrity Xcruise Cruises Time! Cruise at a UNHT'

Silly me! I always find that the numbers on the cabins have served us in locating our temporary home onboard lol.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, SWFL Cruisers said:

We had this made so we can find our cabin after we leave the Martini Bar.....😁😅🤣😂

May be an image of tortoise, indoor and text that says 'Sailing Through Life Dave & Deanna One Celebrity Xcruise Cruises Time! Cruise at a UNHT'

We did the same for our recent Alaska cruise on Solstice. Amazing much easier to find room after Martini Bar!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

They're tacky!

Actually, most are magnetic.

They're also the cruising equivalent of pink flamingos and plastic garden gnomes on your front lawn.

Edited by mom says
  • Like 3
  • Haha 7

I always find it interesting to see what habits other cruisers develop from decorating their door to carrying flowers onboard.

Who am I to judge, none of my business... would I do it? No. But good to see some people are having fun. 🙂

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, mom says said:

Actually, most are magnetic.

They're also the cruising equivalent of pink flamingos and plastic garden gnomes on your front lawn.

How about a magnetic gnome?

• Haha 2

I freely admit to decorating our door with a tasteful, personalized door magnet created through Zazzle.  The name I go by is on the magnet so that our steward will call me by that name and not the legal name on my Sea Pass card.   No tacky decorations, just one or two tasteful magnets, lol! 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 12:43 PM, SWFL Cruisers said:

You still have to remember what deck and side of the ship you are on 🤗

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

AND hope that no one is playing pranks and moving magnets. I've seen that happen before too.

Much better to just take a picture of the cabin number for reference.

• Like 1

Don't put anything valuable to you on the door.  This couple had put pictures of their wedding on the door and a photo "disappeared".  It was a really old photo.  Others were moved on the door.

2 hours ago, miched said:

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We always book the starboard side so that part is easy, as for the deck, that could be tricky.

40 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Do people also decorate doors in 4 or 5 star hotels or resorts with pictures and magnets? The cabin number is on your seapass card and the deck number should not be that difficult...

This couple who decorated their door on our cruise talked about how they brought special items from their native country to give to the room attendant.  I just have to wonder...

• Like 1

Whenever the topic of door decorations come up on CC, I am reminded of the door decorating contests we had in HS.Fun then, not needed on a cruise.

I just read a good idea on this thread about taking a photo of the cabin number. We do that in the airport parking lot to find our car.We don’t decorate our car doors so we can find it in the lot- just sayin’.

Before phone cameras,we depended on our cruise cards for the cabin number and wrote down the parking lot number on a pad in my purse.

3 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

AND hope that no one is playing pranks and moving magnets. I've seen that happen before too.

Much better to just take a picture of the cabin number for reference.

Someone  did that with a do not disturb sign.    They moved one to our door from another cabin.   When we came back to our cabin after being on shore our cabin wasn’t  made up.   It wouldn’t have mattered but we wanted fresh towels after having used them a few days, but mostly  we had our laundry ready to be picked up.   

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1