Wonder of the seas Mediterranean live blog! 22nd May - 29th May 2022. Come cruise with us!

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thanks for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! (Note: will promo on 5/22/22)"

Cruisingcouple22 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."'

Hi fellow cruisers!

Hope everyone is doing well. I’m here to introduce you to my semi-live blog from aboard the newest of the newness, Wonder of the Seas! We are so excited to be going on this cruise. Much like a lot of people, we were originally booked on Allure (an already great ship in our opinion) but when we were moved to Wonder we were over the moon. We love a new ship and exploring all the new features. We are lucky enough to be booked in a one bedroom aqua theatre suite, thanks to a number of future cruise certificates gained during lockdown. We have a bid in on a two bedroom aqua theatre, hoping for that Genie, but know it is likely not to happen.

Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself. First off we have to pass the dreaded LFTs and get out to Barcelona. We are travelling from the UK, so flying out Saturday afternoon and staying overnight in Barcelona. Then it’s off bright and early Sunday morning to try and be among the first on the boat. We’ve booked the unlimited/ultimate dining package (can’t remember what its called now) and have a list of reservations we want to make! That and I want to make the most of every minute on the ship.

We haven’t booked any excursions yet, but are planning the following:

Palma de Mallorca – Caves of Drach through RCL as we have some on-board credit to do

Marseille – Stay on ship as we’ve been there a number of times

La Spezia – Cinque Terra via train

Civitavecchia – Train to Rome and wander around

Naples – underground tour and walk around the shops

Plans may change so you’ll have to follow along and see what we end up doing 🙂 

Please feel free to post any questions, comments and suggestions and I look forward to chatting with you all!

• Like 6

My friends and I are sailing in October and although some of us have gone on a cruise before, it will be the first time we are going by ourselves without our parents. We are trying to figure out how Flex Dining works and whether it might interfere with possible shows. Do let us know what shows were onboard?

Also could you give us some tips as to booking excursions? Is it better to book with Royal Caribbean or better to go elsewhere?

Have the loveliest time! Looking forward to your updates!

5 hours ago, Cruisingcouple22 said:

Hi fellow cruisers!

Hope everyone is doing well. I’m here to introduce you to my semi-live blog from aboard the newest of the newness, Wonder of the Seas! We are so excited to be going on this cruise. Much like a lot of people, we were originally booked on Allure (an already great ship in our opinion) but when we were moved to Wonder we were over the moon. We love a new ship and exploring all the new features. We are lucky enough to be booked in a one bedroom aqua theatre suite, thanks to a number of future cruise certificates gained during lockdown. We have a bid in on a two bedroom aqua theatre, hoping for that Genie, but know it is likely not to happen.

Anyway, I’m getting ahead of myself. First off we have to pass the dreaded LFTs and get out to Barcelona. We are travelling from the UK, so flying out Saturday afternoon and staying overnight in Barcelona. Then it’s off bright and early Sunday morning to try and be among the first on the boat. We’ve booked the unlimited/ultimate dining package (can’t remember what its called now) and have a list of reservations we want to make! That and I want to make the most of every minute on the ship.

We haven’t booked any excursions yet, but are planning the following:

Palma de Mallorca – Caves of Drach through RCL as we have some on-board credit to do

Marseille – Stay on ship as we’ve been there a number of times

La Spezia – Cinque Terra via train

Civitavecchia – Train to Rome and wander around

Naples – underground tour and walk around the shops

Plans may change so you’ll have to follow along and see what we end up doing 🙂 

Please feel free to post any questions, comments and suggestions and I look forward to chatting with you all!

Looking forward to your blog. We wanted to book a last minute cruise on Wonder but the flights were really expensive so ended up doing a Southampton sailing instead.

We did the Caves in Palma a few years ago and they are well worth doing. 

Have a great time 

Edited by sgmn

5 hours ago, lovesickmelodyx said:

Wonderful! Hope you have a great trip. I look forward to reading your updates. Could you keep your cruise compasses and upload them after your trip? I would love to see them, we’re sailing in July.

Yes absolutely. I’ll try to upload them as we go along! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CubedTofu said:

We are trying to figure out how Flex Dining works and whether it might interfere with possible shows. Do let us know what shows were onboard?

Welcome to CC.

Install and look in the RCI app for the current sailing of the ship you are going on. That should give you an idea of shows and their timing. Then book My Time Dining (MTD) around that for your sailing.

The Roll Call thread may give you some excursion ideas.

1 hour ago, CubedTofu said:

My friends and I are sailing in October and although some of us have gone on a cruise before, it will be the first time we are going by ourselves without our parents. We are trying to figure out how Flex Dining works and whether it might interfere with possible shows. Do let us know what shows were onboard?

Also could you give us some tips as to booking excursions? Is it better to book with Royal Caribbean or better to go elsewhere?

Have the loveliest time! Looking forward to your updates!

Someone posted this in a Facebook group. It’s the schedule from the current week. When we get on I’ll check if they have one for our week to see any differences. 

19BB0A40-1ADD-4F70-BE5F-989229EEAFC7.jpeg

• Like 3

Looking forward to hearing of your experience.  We are booked on Wonder in September (also from a re-booked Allure cruise), on the same itinerary from Barcelona.  It feels like a long way off, but very interested in what you have to say about the ship and the various ports.

Thankyou for sharing your thoughts on the Wonder, we will be getting on her on the 27th for a b2b we were also originally booked on Allure! 

Hi all, 

Thanks for all the support already! Hopefully you’ll all still like it when I start posting properly 😁

So we got our greeting from the concierge today, having not stayed in a suite before I wasn’t expecting it! I thought I’d be cheeky and see if they could help us out before the cruise and boy have they been helpful. All our dining and show reservations are now booked. Going to have to say a BIG thank you when I meet them on Sunday. 

Anyway, we are busy packing, and repacking when we find out we’ve still got too much stuff! Then it’s lateral flows tomorrow morning. Would have done them today but our provider didn’t have any that fit in with our work schedules unfortunately. I’m still pretty nervous till I get that negative test! 🤞 

Not long now!! 

• Like 4

On 5/18/2022 at 4:15 PM, Cruisingcouple22 said:

Someone posted this in a Facebook group. It’s the schedule from the current week. When we get on I’ll check if they have one for our week to see any differences. 

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!!!!! Your blog makes me so happy, thank you for doing this!!! I'll be boarding the ship after you disembark on May 29, so I'm really looking forward to hearing all about your cruise. Hope you have a WONDERful time and safe travels!!

Edited by AUgirl

19 hours ago, Cruisingcouple22 said:

Hi all, 

Thanks for all the support already! Hopefully you’ll all still like it when I start posting properly 😁

So we got our greeting from the concierge today, having not stayed in a suite before I wasn’t expecting it! I thought I’d be cheeky and see if they could help us out before the cruise and boy have they been helpful. All our dining and show reservations are now booked. Going to have to say a BIG thank you when I meet them on Sunday. 

Anyway, we are busy packing, and repacking when we find out we’ve still got too much stuff! Then it’s lateral flows tomorrow morning. Would have done them today but our provider didn’t have any that fit in with our work schedules unfortunately. I’m still pretty nervous till I get that negative test! 🤞 

Not long now!! 

Hi,

We are on the same sailing in a suite also for the first time and just passed our antigen test!

We also had FCC to use so splashing out in our 30th wedding year.

Have been on the MSC Seaview and the Vision just before this and looking forward to trying our first Oasis class ship. Got a few things booked ahead with the concierge which saves on running about when we get on.

• Like 1

Phew! That was nerve wracking but the tests came back negative! We are going on a cruise!! Could have been the shortest live blog ever otherwise 😁

So, with tests completed we finished packing a realised we STILL had too much stuff so had to buy an extra small bag for the plane. Better than paying at the airport at least. Then a short drive up the road to Stansted airport. No traffic fortunately so we made it with plenty of time to spare. Check in and security were a breeze but then there were not too many places to sit down and eat airside and the seating area was packed! Managed to get some nachos in Camden, came very quick but pretty expensive even by airport standards. 

I’m just writing this whilst waiting to board our plane, they seem to be taking quite a long time about it but we’ve got nothing to do when we arrive in Barcelona so no rush

Oh, got to run, looks like we are boarding now so speak to you all soon!

I will also be boarding tomorrow so will be travelling along. I may chip in with a few comments if you don’t mind? 
We are flying out first thing tomorrow on first EJ from LGW. Always adds a frisson of excitement flying out the day of….

Edited by little britain

On Wonder now,     

no announcements from captain for the last  week or more.
Staff  captain  making  all announcements
Asked why,  informed Captain is resting
Alot of  other crew members  are resting as well ??

1 hour ago, sowhat said:

On Wonder now,     

sorry to hear about Capt Henrik.  Then again I have heard a cases on TA so hoping the officers stay safe.  I guess no Captain Corner?   They did it on Wonder but not on Symphony.

hope you get to enjoy Cinque Terre which is my main reason for wanting to do this itinerary some day.

1 hour ago, sowhat said:

On Wonder now,     

Resting, wt? does that mean? Siesta?

Maybe running errands on shore? Or

Sounds like Pirates have taken over the ship...........

Edited by Jimbo
  • Haha 2