Passport question

We sail tomorrow on Symphony. All documents entered and negative Covid test. Just realized my youngest daughter. 16 now her passport expires in July 2022. All of our expires in 2027 so I didn’t catch hers was not the same. It’s not expired so I don’t know why it would be an issue but I read that a passport needs to be good for 6 months after sailing. When I booked the cruise and entered all the info it accepted her information. Just seeing if anyone knows if we will have any issue?  Thank you 

Shouldn't matter in any of the ports you're supposed to go to except maybe St. Maarten, and even there I don't think it will matter since she's a minor and with you.

The six month rule applies to a small handful of countries who are afraid you'll overstay a tourist visa.

• Like 2

From the RCI website it states:

Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is recommended.

• No Passport? Bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government for age 16 and older.

Only says recommended so bring the other documents and I would think you would be ok.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't sweat it. You don't even need a passport to travel on a closed loop cruise from the US. You can use a DL/government ID and birth certificate.

No one will care about a valid passport that doesn't go out 6 months.

Edited by OCSC Mike

46 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

May be an issue. Bring birth certificate. Practice your “very surprised” look. But don’t bring it to anyones attention.  

that’s my advice. 

Best answer, i say forgiveness is better than asking permission. 😌 

I am also concerned , we are doing a Boston to Montreal Canada one way cruise, and then Montreal to Boston on way.  I just read about the 6 months beyond travel date (my pp renews in Dec. 2022 but my trip is June 2022, next month with a few days short of the exact 6 months)  i called customs they said it was not a problem but that's not what it says on the HAL website. and they said to check with HAL which I'm on hold waiting for a rep.  We are on hold for 24 hours before payment.  If any one knows first hand I thought I'd ask due to time restraint.  Thanks

2 hours ago, surfone said:

I am also concerned , we are doing a Boston to Montreal Canada one way cruise, and then Montreal to Boston on way.  I just read about the 6 months beyond travel date (my pp renews in Dec. 2022 but my trip is June 2022, next month with a few days short of the exact 6 months)  i called customs they said it was not a problem but that's not what it says on the HAL website. and they said to check with HAL which I'm on hold waiting for a rep.  We are on hold for 24 hours before payment.  If any one knows first hand I thought I'd ask due to time restraint.  Thanks

You don't need six months for those sailings. Don't stress out.

I traveled on EOS in March the cruise ended on March 7th.  My PassPort expired on March 12th, 2022.  I didn't catch it until just before the cruise.  I presented my documents including the passport and said nothing.  About 5 minutes later we were on the ship looking for our muster station.  My recommendation is don't bring attention to your situation and all will be well.  I now have a new passport ready for our August cruise.

Bill

Edited by Ky Bill
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ky Bill said:

I traveled on EOS in March the cruise ended on March 7th.  My PassPort expired on March 12th, 2022.  I didn't catch it until just before the cruise.  I presented my documents including the passport and said nothing.  About 5 minutes later we were on the ship looking for our muster station.  My recommendation is don't bring attention to your situation and all will be well.  I now have a new passport ready for our August cruise.

Bill

They didn’t say anything because all you needed for that sailing was a valid passport. 

On 5/20/2022 at 4:36 PM, neverbeenhere said:

May be an issue. Bring birth certificate. Practice your “very surprised” look. But don’t bring it to anyones attention.  

that’s my advice. 

Wrong! A valid passport is all that is needed

I sailed last June with a passport that expired in July. They reminded me at the port to get it renewed but NO issues whatsoever. It was a last minute cruise and with the pandemic I just wasn't giving it any thought.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cruisinfanatic said:

Wrong! A valid passport is all that is needed

Wrong, actually the answer is correct, it maybe an issue. I didn’t claim that the individual wouldn’t get on the ship, but it may cause a port agent to try to deny embarkation… thus an issue. 

just say’n.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

Wrong, actually the answer is correct, it maybe an issue. I didn’t claim that the individual wouldn’t get on the ship, but it may cause a port agent to try to deny embarkation… thus an issue. 

just say’n.  

Stop spreading fear and misinformation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

just say’n.  

You're making stuff up now. Show me one instance where that has ever happened. If it had, it would be well documented here

Edited by cruisinfanatic

On 5/20/2022 at 4:39 PM, CaptainBazz said:

From the RCI website it states:

Passport Book or Passport Card, valid for at least six months after your cruise, is recommended.

• No Passport? Bring a state-certified U.S. Birth Certificate + a valid Driver's License or picture ID issued by the government for age 16 and older.

Only says recommended so bring the other documents and I would think you would be ok.

IF she isn't yet a driver and does not have a state issued drivers license, you can go get her a state issued ID card that is much like a license. We have one for the kids too young to drive. They have helped in so many situations. 

This has actually happened to me in the past. While the passport is the easiest and best ID to use when traveling, a closed loop cruise allows a birth certificate and drivers license to be used.

Just bring all the items so you can be ready IF/when someone notices the date on your passport. 

3 minutes ago, sandy toes said:

Just bring all the items so you can be ready IF/when someone notices the date on your passport. 

There is nothing to notice except that the passport is valid! There is no need to bring a birth certificate. Sheesh. 

Use your brains people. Why would a birth certificate be acceptable and a valid passport not be......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

There is nothing to notice except that the passport is valid! There is no need to bring a birth certificate. Sheesh. 

Use your brains people. Why would a birth certificate be acceptable and a valid passport not be......

EXACTLY

• Like 1