What exactly does "We'll get you home" Policy actually mean?

I'm interested in going on a European cruise this summer on Odyssey of the Seas

My wife is concerned that to return back to the USA that if we test POSITIVE,  the prospect of being "stranded"  in Italy for a week would be very expensive and a pain.

I was reading the policy on their "The Healthy Sail Center" and it mentions:

"We'll get you home"

Royal Caribbean will coordinate and assist with the costs of shoreside accommodations for isolation for guests who have fully complied with all Royal Caribbean International and Royal Caribbean Group COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of voyage. Please note that homeports may have different local isolation requirements and restrictions. 

Let's say you plan on promptly returning home after the cruise (no 2-3 extra days in the departure port) and you choose/pay to get tested on the boat the day prior (either by their staff or a proctored self test)

If you test positive in this scenario ON THE BOAT,   and you can't fly home to the USA,   will they cover the cost of a hotel and any flight changes?

I called today to ask and after being put on hold twice, the rep was not helpful at all.

It's kind of crazy as this is the single thing preventing me from booking,   it this policy actually helps to the concern I have,  I would book!

Any thoughts?

19 minutes ago, StangGT909 said:

Any thoughts?

If testing positive and not being able to fly home is a concern, don't book any cruises outside of the US. The policy (what RCI will do for you) is not only changing all the time but may vary by port. Don't count on RCI paying for any of your quarantine/isolation.

• Like 2

Several people have posted recently about their experiences of having to wait/quaratine to fly home due to positve tests.  It sounds like, for most at the moment, RCI is covering up to 250 usd per night for a hotel and up to 100 usd per day for food.  It is up to the covid positive person to book the hotel and order food deliveries and pay up front and then submit for reimbursement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, xxHadleyxx said:

Several people have posted recently about their experiences of having to wait/quaratine to fly home due to positve tests.  It sounds like, for most at the moment, RCI is covering up to 250 usd per night for a hotel and up to 100 usd per day for food.  It is up to the covid positive person to book the hotel and order food deliveries and pay up front and then submit for reimbursement.

If that's the case,  that would be very helpful   !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StangGT909 said:

My wife is concerned that to return back to the USA that if we test POSITIVE,  the prospect of being "stranded"  in Italy for a week would be very expensive and a pain.

"We'll get you home"

Royal Caribbean will coordinate and assist with the costs of shoreside accommodations for isolation for guests who have fully complied with all Royal Caribbean International and Royal Caribbean Group COVID-19 Policies and Procedures in effect at the time of voyage. Please note that homeports may have different local isolation requirements and restrictions. 

Let's say you plan on promptly returning home after the cruise (no 2-3 extra days in the departure port) and you choose/pay to get tested on the boat the day prior (either by their staff or a proctored self test)

If you test positive in this scenario ON THE BOAT,   and you can't fly home to the USA,   will they cover the cost of a hotel and any flight changes?

I called today to ask and after being put on hold twice, the rep was not helpful at all.

It's kind of crazy as this is the single thing preventing me from booking,   it this policy actually helps to the concern I have,  I would book!

Any thoughts?

How would your employer feel if you were delayed 10 to 14 days until you get back to work from the day you were suppose to back to work if you are delayed? That is if you are still working?

Also what people are telling you is what Royal is doing right now, there may come a time soon where Royal doesn't pay you back for anything and just tells you that you better have good vacation insurance to cover all that should you have a problem.

In the end you have to do what is comfortable for you and if it stresses you out I would plan going there another year.

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

How would your employer feel if you were delayed 10 to 14 days until you get back to work from the day you were suppose to back to work if you are delayed? That is if you are still working?

Also what people are telling you is what Royal is doing right now, there may come a time soon where Royal doesn't pay you back for anything and just tells you that you better have good vacation insurance to cover all that should you have a problem.

In the end you have to do what is comfortable for you and if it stresses you out I would plan going there another year.

I work at home so I could handle working from Italy for a week,  on a + 6 hour schedule.

I'm not looking for a zero risk plan (that doesn't exist) simply looking to understand in the event something goes wrong,  what options are available.

If they covered a hotel at the minimum,  that would be a nice piece of mind

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, StangGT909 said:

I work at home so I could handle working from Italy for a week,  on a + 6 hour schedule.

I'm not looking for a zero risk plan (that doesn't exist) simply looking to understand in the event something goes wrong,  what options are available.

For now they do, but who knows how much longer they can keep flipping the bill for something  good cruise/covid  insurance may cover.

Edited by Jimbo

Keep in mind, you cannot pay Royal to test  you once you are on the ship for travelling home.  What I am planning on doing is bringing at home kits and test my self 2 days before departure, if positive, notify Royal for them to test me again. Then on the last day do a proctored test to fly back to the US. If you wait until the last day,they may not test you, hence not paying for quarentine when you get tested to go back to usa.

• Like 2

will they cover the cost of a hotel and any flight changes?

They only cover up to $400 for flight changes - a very insignificant amount given prices these days, especially if you snagged a good business class deal. Changing the dates could cost thousands.

Just now, rennyn said:

They only cover up to $400 for flight changes - a very insignificant amount given prices these days, especially if you snagged a good business class deal. Changing the dates could cost thousands.

I guess that would vary with the airline....we fly Lufthansa which is allowing fee free changes even for economy since covid (still is, as of yesterday at least)

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StangGT909 said:

Read blog from someone on the Wonder TA who tested positive. Royal did pick up most of the tab for the 5 days the wife was in a Barcelona Quarantine hotel.  Husband was out of luck, was not allowed to visit while wife was quarantined or allowed to stay in same hotel. He said traveling without insurance was the height of stupidity. 

16 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

Keep in mind, you cannot pay Royal to test  you once you are on the ship for travelling home.  What I am planning on doing is bringing at home kits and test my self 2 days before departure, if positive, notify Royal for them to test me again. Then on the last day do a proctored test to fly back to the US. If you wait until the last day,they may not test you, hence not paying for quarentine when you get tested to go back to usa.

This is the type of strategy I was looking for,    I had thought you could pay $55 to test on the ship?

Regardless,  I think I agree with your plan... basically let say:

2 Days before:   Test using basic (free type) test  (just to see)

1 Day before:   Test using a USA CDC accepted proctored test (Abbott).   

Assume this requires to pay for the internet in the cabin?   

If Positive -  Then yes you can notify the ship,  then be eligible for their lodging assistance

If Negative -  It's 1 day prior to flying to the USA,  you're good to go, period

About right?

"We'll get you home"

Based just on the part you quoted... it says they will "coordinate and ASSIST with the costs of shoreside ACCOMODATIONS".  To me, that reads as they'll help you find a hotel to quarantine at and provide part (90%? 50%? 1%?  they don't say) of the costs for the hotel.  It says nothing about helping with flights home.  

50 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

A man jumping through a hoop Stock Vector Image & Art - Alamy

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, StangGT909 said:

"We'll get you home"

Any thoughts?

Royal does not have the option for you to pay to be tested onboard for your flight home to the US.      There is also no quarantee that Royal will cover your hotel/food or any flight changes if you test positive the very last day of the cruise.      

Royal had previously announced they were discontinuing their payment of hotel/food and flight changes effective April 30th but they have extended this program for now.  

They cannot keep paying for people to stay a week or more in quarantine.     It will end up costing all of us much higher cruise fares and other items.    

There are some people on Brilliance and 1 or 2 other Royal ships sailing out of Europe now that were given the option to stay onboard in a quarantine to do their quarantine instead of going to a hotel.     Italy has their own rules for quarantine and one cruiser was saying her husband that tested negative had to go find his own hotel while she stayed in the quarantine hotel in Italy.   

I recommend you check out the insurance thread on CC and see what your options are for travel insurance that covers quarantine expenses, if needed.     

• Like 1

We got home yesterday from two days in Barcelona followed by 7 days on Wonder. I debated going due to the issues mentioned above.  But then it dawned on me that many things could happen that could delay our return home. A broken leg, heart attack, even the flu and feeling too crummy to fly. Why am I worrying about getting COVID on the ship but not all the other things that could happen. Any time I travel I need to be prepared for something to go wrong. It happens to people all of the time. At least with COVID the cruise line would provide some assistance. If I broke my leg pre-cruise, I would be on my own to deal with it, even with travel insurance. 

We had a great time and I am so glad I went instead of staying home worrying about “what if’s”. 

• Like 3

"We'll get you home"

Any thoughts?

"We'll get you home"

Any thoughts?

We are currently onboard the Odyssey of the Seas. Tomorrow will be our last sea day before arriving in Civitavecchia.

We plan on using eMed to test tomorrow for our flight back from Rome back to the U.S.

We asked the GSM, Guest Service Manager this EXACT question...what happens if we test positive?  He said:

* We will be transported and be quarantined at a designated hotel in Rome..paid for by Royal Caribbean.

* If you booked your flights with Air2Sea, they will make all the arrangements for new flights.

* If you had booked flights yourself, Royal Caribbean will pay up to $400 for change fees.

*** Last week, a number of passengers that chose to test at the airport (FCO), before their flights, waited hours just to get their test because of long queues/lines. (An unconfirmed number of passenvers missed their flights.) Those who tested positive, had to find hotels on their own. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, I'm not sure what all the worrying is about... this is what travel insurance is for.

If I come down with Covid, regardless if I'm on a cruise or at home, my employer would force to stay out for 10-14 days.  I'd much rather stay in a hotel room than at home.

58 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

We are currently onboard the Odyssey of the Seas. Tomorrow will be our last sea day before arriving in Civitavecchia.

We plan on using eMed to test tomorrow for our flight back from Rome back to the U.S.

We asked the GSM, Guest Service Manager this EXACT question...what happens if we test positive?  He said:

* We will be transported and be quarantined at a designated hotel in Rome..paid for by Royal Caribbean.

* If you booked your flights with Air2Sea, they will make all the arrangements for new flights.

* If you had booked flights yourself, Royal Caribbean will pay up to $400 for change fees.

*** Last week, a number of passengers that chose to test at the airport (FCO), before their flights, waited hours just to get their test because of long queues/lines. (An unconfirmed number of passenvers missed their flights.) Those who tested positive, had to find hotels on their own. 

Thank you for the comments, this is exactly the strategy I was looking for!   And the same boat!

Keep us posted to how it goes tomorrow

2 hours ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

Based just on the part you quoted... it says they will "coordinate and ASSIST with the costs of shoreside ACCOMODATIONS".  To me, that reads as they'll help you find a hotel to quarantine at and provide part (90%? 50%? 1%?  they don't say) of the costs for the hotel.  It says nothing about helping with flights home.  

They do not find you a hotel but they do transfer you to the one you book.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, rennyn said:

Do you have a link to this?  I only see $250/day hotel and $100/day food. Are you referring to air to sea flights?

4 hours ago, StangGT909 said:

"We'll get you home"

Any thoughts?

I had similar fears (I ended my cruise in Canada last Friday).   I was not at all convinced that I could rely on this at all - the verbiage is too vague and some of the posts from ppl showed there was a possibility it would not happen or that I would have to foot the bill initially then argue for reimbursement.

I was also not convinced that the Travel insurance offered by Royal would cover me once I stepped foot off the boat - such as - I leave the boat, go to the airport to test - and test positive.

Because of that - I investigated the trip coverage that the airline offered (I happened to be using Delta) and also called Allianz with questions.      

I elected to also buy the airlines travel insurance which does covers the entire vacation - from flight start to flight end - vs. stopping with the cruise - in addition to the RCL offered travel coverage.    

Allianz said to be very sure the plan I selected included trip interruption, not just trip cancellation, and they explained their handling with regard to a positive covid test preventing re-entry to the US.

I felt much better with this decision.

I did the trick of doing the eMed proctored test the day we got into Vancouver - while I was still on the boat.....   myself, and my travelling party all tested negative - so we didn't have to deal with it - but I felt much better after researching thoroughly.

There certainly were several ppl caught by a positive test and no clue what to do next!

Edited by MichFish

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

They do not find you a hotel but they do transfer you to the one you book.

It's amazing how  everyone's experience if different how it is handled isn't it? Just never know how you will be handled until it happens to you. Good Luck, seems like you draw straws, just hope when it's your turn you don't draw the short straw.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bonsai3s said:

Last Friday - in Vancouver - several had this same experience - having to wait 1-2 hours for their test results after testing at the airport - coupled with 1-2 hour waits in security - many missed flights and grouchy people.

I am completely sold on eMed - it was so easy to do it in the morning before getting off the ship - and then heading to the airport and not having to deal with waiting on results.

One couple in the waiting area near me - after waiting a couple hours got a Negative on him and a "See the Nurse" on her - there was some pretty colorful language going on lol.

I felt bad for the Delta reps who were having to explain over and over - no, we cannot check you in until you have your test results.  Yes - we know you still have to go through security, no - we still cannot check you in.    

Note - we had also been warned about long security lines in Vancouver as well.   You are a crazy person if you think you are hitting the doors of the airport with 1 hour to spare and still needing to test.

Edited by MichFish
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, MichFish said:

I had similar fears (I ended my cruise in Canada last Friday).   I was not at all convinced that I could rely on this at all - the verbiage is too vague and some of the posts from ppl showed there was a possibility it would not happen or that I would have to foot the bill initially then argue for reimbursement.

I was also not convinced that the Travel insurance offered by Royal would cover me once I stepped foot off the boat - such as - I leave the boat, go to the airport to test - and test positive.

Because of that - I investigated the trip coverage that the airline offered (I happened to be using Delta) and also called Allianz with questions.      

I elected to also buy the airlines travel insurance which does covers the entire vacation - from flight start to flight end - vs. stopping with the cruise - in addition to the RCL offered travel coverage.    

Allianz said to be very sure the plan I selected included trip interruption, not just trip cancellation, and they explained their handling with regard to a positive covid test preventing re-entry to the US.

I felt much better with this decision.

I did the trick of doing the eMed proctored test the day we got into Vancouver - while I was still on the boat.....   myself, and my travelling party all tested negative - so we didn't have to deal with it - but I felt much better after researching thoroughly.

There certainly were several ppl caught by a positive test and no clue what to do next!

Roughly speaking,  how much was the travel insurance per person?