11:55 a.m. flight doable after cruise (Sydney)

8 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

As you ask “can we EASILY …”

The answer is a resounding no. Is there a good chance of getting there in time, well my answer would by 50:50. Going by road? One broken down car, one minor collision and ooops, by train, one late train ooops. 

Me I hate stress when I’m on holidays, I’d either booker later or better yet stay over for an extra night in Sydney,

Bear in mind, the trains do go every 15 minutes on Saturdays, and there are multiple ways of going by road.

• Like 1

The first question you need to ask yourself is what's at stake if I miss my flight? Also there is no guarantee you will dock on time. Last Friday for instance any cruise ship would have been delayed.

Although you probably would make it, my philosophy is to expect the unexpected

Tight window, stay anight or two and enjoy Sydney. What is the big rush to fly out.

Be prepared for debark delay if there are covid outbreaks on board.

Edited by NSWP

Not really in a big rush to leave, but it is the end of a 38 day trip and we will be ready to get home. We will have a week in Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and Sydney after our Transpacific and before our NZ cruise, so will be catching the sights we want to see. No need to stay longer. There is no flight that leaves the day after and we would have to stay 2 extra nights. There is only that flight during the day, no later options. Words like “probably”, “generally”, “doable, but tight” gives me enough ease to book the 11:55 a.m. flight. We do have insurance if plans fail. To some extent there is a risk no matter what day or time we leave. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rondo said:

Not really in a big rush to leave, but it is the end of a 38 day trip and we will be ready to get home. We will have a week in Adelaide, Kangaroo Island and Sydney after our Transpacific and before our NZ cruise, so will be catching the sights we want to see. No need to stay longer. There is no flight that leaves the day after and we would have to stay 2 extra nights. There is only that flight during the day, no later options. Words like “probably”, “generally”, “doable, but tight” gives me enough ease to book the 11:55 a.m. flight. We do have insurance if plans fail. To some extent there is a risk no matter what day or time we leave. 

Suggest you check the fine print of your insurance to see if you are covered if you miss the plane.  

3 hours ago, Rondo said:

I agree,  given your parameters, and with insurance as a back up, you will be set.

1 hour ago, nermal9900 said:

No don't chance it.use an evening one if you must and if the company offers a sightseeing tour of sydney plus transfer to the airport take advantage of it.

The OP (Rondo) said that there isn't even a flight the next day. They would have to stay two nights.

As you see some say yes, others no, it comes down to how risk ave4se you are, including the terms of your insurance, will they deny cover if they deem it an unreasonable time to book

12 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

As you see some say yes, others no, it comes down to how risk ave4se you are, including the terms of your insurance, will they deny cover if they deem it an unreasonable time to book

Excellent  answer.

Another thing to consider is whether or not you need to get a covid test before your flight, whether a RAT or PCR test is needed and the time these take, whether you can get the test on board before you dock, whether your cruise ship offers RAT testing at the terminal or if you have to get it done at the airport and allow time for queues with others doing the same thing.  

We can't even check in for our flight without our covid test result so I figured a midday flight too close for comfort and have put a book aside to occupy me during my long wait for a later flight. The LATEST CHECK IN TIME is the key time here.

Of course Murphy's Law states that on the day we'll find we will have been able to catch the early flight with ease, but not sure what Murphy would do if we took the early flight gamble.

Without covid testing in the mix the midday flight would be more doable ✈

Having to have a Covid test to get back into the US entered my mind briefly.

Good news today- testing to return to the US has been dropped!! 

Now we only have to deal with Murphy’s Law. 😉

3 minutes ago, Rondo said:

When the start up of  travelling via airports there were big staff shortages in all areas due to close contact, positive test and a long lock down . Now waiting times have been drastically reduced. When you leave OPT on your left is a elevators that take you up to waiting taxis. 

15 minutes ago, Rondo said:

When the start up of  travelling via airports there were big staff shortages in all areas due to close contact, positive test and a long lock down . Now waiting times have been drastically reduced. When you leave OPT on your left is a elevators that take you up to waiting taxis. 

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Sydney-Airport-SYD/Overseas-Passenger-Terminal

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

Goodo, it's all looking positive for you, I'm pleased 🙂. For me, I need NZ to drop negative test for re-entry as I worry about testing positive, even without symptoms, and the inconvenience that will cause 🥴

3 hours ago, Hogbay said:

https://www.rome2rio.com/s/Sydney-Airport-SYD/Overseas-Passenger-Terminal

Good info to have!! Thanks!

Thanks so much for asking this question as I am on the same ship (Ovation), same flight I think (Delta??) although next March, not sooner.  I also debated but like you, it will be at the end of a long trip (34 days) and I would really like to get home with one day to decompress before going back to work.   Plus, I'm flying on points so it made a difference that way also, so decided to risk it.  But please come back and let me know how it went in case I can learn from what happened to you 😀

12 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Well, I checked and my flight is at 11:20am, so a little tougher to make. ☹️ 

How long before the flight do they require you to check in? Some airlines state a minimum of two hours and some want you there at least three hours prior.

9 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Thanks so much for asking this question as I am on the same ship (Ovation), same flight I think (Delta??) although next March, not sooner.  I also debated but like you, it will be at the end of a long trip (34 days) and I would really like to get home with one day to decompress before going back to work.   Plus, I'm flying on points so it made a difference that way also, so decided to risk it.  But please come back and let me know how it went in case I can learn from what happened to you 😀

I will certainly try to remember to come back and report on our experience!  We will be on Air New Zealand. 

7 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

How long before the flight do they require you to check in? Some airlines state a minimum of two hours and some want you there at least three hours prior.

I’m hoping to do online check in the day before our flight on the Air New Zealand webpage and then use the kiosk to get our luggage tags. 🤷‍♀️ We would also be able to use Priority Check in, if Air Zealand has that for Premium Economy.  This has worked on other cruises with American Airlines. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

Three hours for international flights. At the moment at Sydney Airport it is 4 hours, chao out there, staff shortages.

2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Three hours for international flights. At the moment at Sydney Airport it is 4 hours, chao out there, staff shortages.

It isn't always three hours for international flights, Some of ours have had a two hour deadline with the check-in desk only opening three hours before the flight.