JamieLogical's 5/29 Equinox Semi-Live Review

JamieLogical

41 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Hope you have smooth travels back home.  Will you need to diet after your cruise, or are you able to stay on course with your weight because of your metabolism?  Thanks so much for taking us with your through your photos, words and Internet.

Definitely will need to diet. I had a rule for a while that any weight I gained on a cruise I would have to lose before the next cruise, but I have been cruising do much in the past 10 months, that hasn't been realistic. My next cruise now isn't until September, so hopefully I can get back down to where I was before the restart.

• Like 3

Are those Barisean cocktails pretty sweet? I like my drinks to have a little sweetness. Also, thanks so much for your daily recaps--you have a lovely storytelling-type style.

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Definitely will need to diet. I had a rule for a while that any weight I gained on a cruise I would have to lose before the next cruise, but I have been cruising do much in the past 10 months, that hasn't been realistic. My next cruise now isn't until September, so hopefully I can get back down to where I was before the restart.

LOL - I was wondering the same thing. I am struggling with losing the weight I gained earlier this year on my Equinox B2B. Way too many delicious meals, wine and WCB drinks for this 66 year old metabolism to handle!

One thing I’ll add for those who on to geek out on ship propulsion was during the capt Q&A, capt Matt said there was one forecast where the wind was at 70 knots, therefore something like they turned on third engine and now will use another $120k in fuel.  He said ocean conditions aren’t necessarily a problem but the wind is.

it was a down pour when getting out of the terminal.  As Jamie said, they handed out umbrellas at the terminal exit and employees collected them at either the taxi stand or the ride share area.

20 hours ago, killsport said:

@RobertybobUK does it leave from England? If so, my belief is that includes gratuity. The premium limit would be adjusted to include this, if that is the reason ($15 -> $18)

After a bit more research through the forums, I think you’re correct @killsport. The cruise originates from Southampton in the UK. A $12 drink would come out at $15.60 with the 20% gratuity and guess they have rounded to show it as “$15.5” in the App. Many thanks for clarifying and clearing up my confusion and concern. 🍹🙂

25 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

@JamieLogical Great travel journal as usual. Any sense of what, if any, covid or isolation incidence there was?

I didn't hear a word about COVID all week. No announcements about cases onboard, no mysteriously missing guests or staff, no line of black SUVs to pick up quarantined people at the dock.

Just wanted to let everyone know I got home on schedule yesterday evening. First non-delayed flights for me in a long time. I didn't even know what to do with myself. I had assumed I wouldn't be home before midnight. It was lovely to get to have dinner with my husband!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, dgoz said:

Are those Barisean cocktails pretty sweet? I like my drinks to have a little sweetness. Also, thanks so much for your daily recaps--you have a lovely storytelling-type style.

It depends on the drink. The ones that are supposed to be sweet are sweet and the ones that aren't aren't.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I didn't hear a word about COVID all week. No announcements about cases onboard, no mysteriously missing guests or staff, no line of black SUVs to pick up quarantined people at the dock.

Just wanted to let everyone know I got home on schedule yesterday evening. First non-delayed flights for me in a long time. I didn't even know what to do with myself. I had assumed I wouldn't be home before midnight. It was lovely to get to have dinner with my husband!

The black SUVs were there, you could see them from the ship to the terminal gangway during disembarkation.  I'd guess we were around the 40th-50th people to self carry off.  One pax shared she knew five people who tested positive and were isolated; I obviously take those reports with a grain of salt however I would be SHOCKED if no one was in isolation.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Capt or X decided NOT to announce positives since everyone was a little "down" due to the weather.

20 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The black SUVs were there, you could see them from the ship to the terminal gangway during disembarkation.  I'd guess we were around the 40th-50th people to self carry off.  One pax shared she knew five people who tested positive and were isolated; I obviously take those reports with a grain of salt however I would be SHOCKED if no one was in isolation.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Capt or X decided NOT to announce positives since everyone was a little "down" due to the weather.

How many would you say there were? I was off pretty early and first walked down to where the cabs/shuttles were and didn't see them and then back to where the Uber/Lyft drivers do pick-ups and didn't see them over there either.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

How many would you say there were? I was off pretty early and first walked down to where the cabs/shuttles were and didn't see them and then back to where the Uber/Lyft drivers do pick-ups and didn't see them over there either.

I'd say 5.  They're all basically backed maybe 20' from the ship, midship; they take people off a service door and skip the terminal.  You can see them by either looking down from the ship and see them mid ship port side or while walking down the glass gangway from ship to terminal.

We were on the May 21 cruise.  There were six black SUVs lined up next to the ship…on the dock where the fuel truck etc are.  I said I bet there were a lot more than those…six were all that fit in that area.  I think those were just the first round.  

I think whether a Captain announces cases is an option…no announcement would not make me think there were no cases.  It seems everyone will eventually get the virus but as everyone on the ship is vaccinated, hopefully the cases will be mild.  

• Like 3

I was on the same Equinox cruise as JamieLogical and in a suite. We lost our waiters 3 days into our 6 night cruise. I know that a retreat concierge had Covid and was missing also. When we left the ship there were 3 black suvs parked. Yes, we did have Covid on board.

My recent experience has been that they do not announce until the percentage goes over 1% and then only that "we have has some cases on-board" 

The West Coast is just now having the Omicron Surge that the East Coast had about 3 weeks ago with some counties re-instituting indoor mask requirements.   I would expect as infectious as this variant is that most if not all cruises will have some level of infection as well as every port you visit.   

It's a safe bet to assume they'll be several pax and crew testing positive on every sailing.  On this sailing:

1) I witnessed many crew members NOT wearing their N95 masks correctly or in some cases at all.

2) Crew such as cabin stewards would often have the top of their mask on the bottom of their nose which creates gaps and when they see a pax approach they'll move the mask into the correct position.  3)  Witness many crew members, mostly officers, on the stairs talking on phone/radios maskless.

4)  Generally the crew who deals directly pax like guest services, restaurant host, etc did where them correctly.

5)  Worst offenders were the crew who didn't interact with pax like the crew who set up the loungers

One should assume the worst and hope for the best yet there will be many testing positive on every sailing

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's a safe bet to assume they'll be several pax and crew testing positive on every sailing.  On this sailing:

1) I witnessed many crew members NOT wearing their N95 masks correctly or in some cases at all.

Interesting because I have taken two RCI cruises this year and I never saw any crew members not wearing their masks correctly except one dude out on deck storing chairs at the end of the day be no one was near him.

On 6/3/2022 at 7:36 AM, JamieLogical said:

We do have two cats who are somewhere in the 3-5 year-old range with only 12 years to go until I am 55. When people tell me stories of their cats living until 21 or 22, I worry a bit. But I love our cats. If we retire a couple of years later than planned because they are living long lives, worse things have happened.

By then they'll have world feline cruises. Get all of the paws at sea benefits!

1 hour ago, citruscruiser said:

At the beginning of the 7 pm and 9 pm shows on Friday Captain Matt announced there were 5 guests positive and 3 crew had tested positive while in Grand Cayman during the weekly testing.  Some crew were missing due to contact tracing also.

Announcements like this don't do much good for those who don't attend the shows. 🤬

P.S.  This wasn't meant in any way as a swipe at you.  In fact, I thank you for bringing this to light.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Announcements like this don't do much good for those who don't attend the shows. 🤬

P.S.  This wasn't meant in any way as a swipe at you.  In fact, I thank you for bringing this to light.

Furthermore, there are people like us who show up a few minutes late because the shows never start right at 7 or 9.  lol

• Like 1

On 6/1/2022 at 11:50 AM, Dar & Bob said:

.  Whether it is just a simple eye exam or annual check up (which I would never do after a cruise LOL)  finding doctors along the way would be nearly impossible.  Also, as nice as a cruise cabin is, I would go stir crazy.  It would be nice to live near a cruise port such as FLL and just cruise once a month.  We are in Tampa but the cruises are so limited.

This is simple--you get all those appointments out of the way before you go!

I JUST retired the end of May. DH retired last year. 

We are blessed to be able to retire young (DH did at 58, me at 56) & we intend to take FULL advantage of that!

Viking world cruise is my bucket list too.

But I think I need to ease DH into it. 10 days this Nov., 2 wks in Jan....looking to a 30ish S Pacific cruise for our next push...

Cabin fever? I pretty much only sleep & shower there...

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2