Where would you live to cruise ?

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will butt in since we have often taken long cruises (measured in months) often with pre-post cruise independent land travel.  If you think in terms of typical 7-10 day cruises it might be difficult to think about how to cruise for months.  But there are many long itineraries marketed by some cruise lines such as HAL, Oceania, Cunard, etc.  Just consider that Oceania markets a 180 day round the world cruise which quickly sells out.  But many cruisers on those long cruises only book certain segments so you might find somebody on a ship for 60 days even though the entire cruise is much longer.  While some cruisers think in terms of putting a few cruises together (i.e. back to backs) there are other lines (and cruisers) that think in terms of "segments."  

I will give you a simple example.  Last year we booked a 27 day cruise which was actually 13 days from Miami to Lisbon and then 14 days from Lisbon to Monte Carlo.  Our booking was for a single 27 day cruise but we could have booked either of those segments as separate bookings.  Booking the long cruises can involve some various strategies as pricing can vary depending on how and where it is booked.

Hank

Thank you for this. I've read that booking early gives one advantages, when considering world cruises.

It's a skill I"ll have to learn, as I tend to book at least 75% of cruises within 1-2 months before the date and some even closer to departure date. 

I'll start looking at the world cruises for 2024,  intriguing at best, and, once plans are in place, there's time to research what else if available. 

6 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will butt in since we have often taken long cruises (measured in months) often with pre-post cruise independent land travel.  If you think in terms of typical 7-10 day cruises it might be difficult to think about how to cruise for months.  But there are many long itineraries marketed by some cruise lines such as HAL, Oceania, Cunard, etc.  Just consider that Oceania markets a 180 day round the world cruise which quickly sells out.  But many cruisers on those long cruises only book certain segments so you might find somebody on a ship for 60 days even though the entire cruise is much longer.  While some cruisers think in terms of putting a few cruises together (i.e. back to backs) there are other lines (and cruisers) that think in terms of "segments."  

I will give you a simple example.  Last year we booked a 27 day cruise which was actually 13 days from Miami to Lisbon and then 14 days from Lisbon to Monte Carlo.  Our booking was for a single 27 day cruise but we could have booked either of those segments as separate bookings.  Booking the long cruises can involve some various strategies as pricing can vary depending on how and where it is booked.

Hank

With rare exceptions, all we do is multisegment OW cruises with land stays in favorite or new/interesting ports at each end. 
We’re on one right now: Stockholm- Lisbon-NYC (5 weeks). In the autumn, it will be Barcelona-Rome-Miami. In fact, the only one of five current future bookings that is a single segment (and less than 3 weeks) is San Francisco-New York in summer 2023.

Of course, work/school can mean putting multisegments off until later in life. But, once they are possible, at least do the math compared to taking several 10+\- RT cruises annually: With multisegment OWs, there are far fewer ground transfers, air tix, land arrangements, etc.

But, one caveat: Pick a cruise line that specializes in OW multi segments. It’s one of the reasons that Oceania is our preferred line. When you’re on a ship for 1-2 months (or more), things like a small ship with excellent crew and space ratios, high quality of food (and better non-repetitive menus), heavenly sleep experience and the right mix of ports (including select overnights) and sea days (with excellent enrichment lectures) and occasional local talent of cultural interest are critical elements that assure your enjoyment! Add to that a well-traveled passenger demographic and THAT is (IMO) what makes cruising enjoyable.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:00 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Wouldn’t move just to cruise (though we can see the occasional cruise ship from our deck facing south across SF Bay).

But, living next to the Pacific Ocean is a must for us. That said, SF (and SFO) is ideal for cruising embarkation to spots throughout the Pacific Rim.

I know some folks think the world of South Florida. But, it does zip for us. The weather (particularly in summer), the geography, the dominant politics,  the list goes on...

Might I suggest an alternative (on the US east coast if you don’t want to move west)? NYC!!!

Anything you could ever want/need in culture/arts/etc and a great base for cruising the Atlantic et al. (Even if you have to occasionally do the short hop to/from MIA)

Like you I might not move to cruise.  Living near SFO, cruising out of San Francisco is easy.   I too would not want to move to Florida ref weather, tropical storms yearly would concern me. I like the politics in FLorida more than California and the cost of living in California is getting more and more difficult so some folks leaving here.   Hear taxes are sky high in NYC too, maybe living somewhere else along east coast where one could get an easy  get a flight or train to nearby ports.  Possibly someone from east coast might have some ideas.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pris993 said:

Like you I might not move to cruise.  Living near SFO, cruising out of San Francisco is easy.   I too would not want to move to Florida ref weather, tropical storms yearly would concern me. I like the politics in FLorida more than California and the cost of living in California is getting more and more difficult so some folks leaving here.   Hear taxes are sky high in NYC too, maybe living somewhere else along east coast where one could get an easy  get a flight or train to nearby ports.  Possibly someone from east coast might have some ideas.  

FWIW: we have friends who have relocated to the “Research Triangle” (can’t remember the exact city) in North Carolina to be closer to their kids/grandkids. They like where they live (the sale of their modest Marin County home got them a mansion in NC (plus a new car!). But, they do miss the SF Bay Area.

In all honesty, there are some historically/culturally rich Eastern/Southern locations I love to visit (New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, DC, Boston and, of course hometown NYC). But, as a home base, nothing can top the package of weather, natural beauty, recreation, culture et al. (albeit at a $$$ cost) in NorCal. 

This reminds me of an oft repeated scenario when I was working in higher ed. I hired a lot of newly minted PhDs who aspired to work in LA or SF. For example, on one occasion, our top candidate at our  L.A. campus  (who was coming from Indiana) was very concerned that a SoCal apartment would be three times more expensive than her current one - to which I answered. “Yes. But, when you walk out the door of your current apartment, you’re still in Bloomington.” She accepted our job offer.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

FWIW: we have friends who have relocated to the “Research Triangle” (can’t remember the exact city) in North Carolina to be closer to their kids/grandkids. They like where they live (the sale of their modest Marin County home got them a mansion in NC (plus a new car!). But, they do miss the SF Bay Area.

In all honesty, there are some historically/culturally rich Eastern/Southern locations I love to visit (New Orleans, Charleston, Savannah, DC, Boston and, of course hometown NYC). But, as a home base, nothing can top the package of weather, natural beauty, recreation, culture et al. (albeit at a $$$ cost) in NorCal. 

This reminds me of an oft repeated scenario when I was working in higher ed. I hired a lot of newly minted PhDs who aspired to work in LA or SF. For example, on one occasion, our top candidate at our  L.A. campus  (who was coming from Indiana) was very concerned that a SoCal apartment would be three times more expensive than her current one - to which I answered. “Yes. But, when you walk out the door of your current apartment, you’re still in Bloomington.” She accepted our job offer.

Too back north California was not as good as is use to be, I was born in SF 75 years ago, still live on Peninsula.   I long for better times and more affordability.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pris993 said:

Too back north California was not as good as is use to be, I was born in SF 75 years ago, still live on Peninsula.   I long for better times and more affordability.

Amen. 

I arrived in Sacramento in 1973 and spent more than two decades there. It was pre-urban sprawl and quite the “cowboy town” (bar on every block). Even enjoyed occasional knocking back a few with Governor Brown at the Virgin Sturgeon down on the Sacramento River. 

Not unlike upstate/downstate NY, NorCal/SoCal are vastly different animals. But both have seen many changes - not all for the best. Yet, where else do you move to after California???

As for affordability, I am reminded of how often we check the cost of real estate here and, in conversations with visitors, hear the comment “Just think of how much you’d get if you sold your place” to which I answer “not enough to buy a replacement.”👀😳

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Of course, what you haven’t mentioned is the surprise all those who move away from California face when they’ve had enough of Texas or Florida and want to go back to California where they are now priced out of the housing market.

Gotta ask what you think “California has become.”

The state of California that my family moved to in 1977 is not the same state that my mother and I escaped from at the beginning of 2019, even giving up a home that we lived in since 1977 and the low property tax rate. It all comes down to the policies that have contributed to prohibitively high cost of living, anti-business attitude that is causing business to move out of the state, and the fact that the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had not only 33.6% of the state's population, but also more people than most states except for Texas, New York, and Florida. Los Angeles practically treats the rest of the state as one big straw.

I was extremely lucky in being able to purchase a nice modest home at the beginning of 2019 that is across the street from work, and which I walk to every day... something that really helps with the current record high gas prices. Try saying that in California where you must drive to work, and I know of folks who lived in Sacramento, Tracy, Stockton, Auburn, and even Placerville who super-commuted each day to the SF Bay Area. I had a friend of mine from Sacramento gripe that the cost of gas was $6.09. 

What's the point of living in "paradise" when you must work like crazy to afford to live there? I'm much happier living in the DFW area. I just got incredibly lucky in purchasing a home before prices shot through the roof. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Z'Loth said:

The state of California that my family moved to in 1977 is not the same state that my mother and I escaped from at the beginning of 2019, even giving up a home that we lived in since 1977 and the low property tax rate. It all comes down to the policies that have contributed to prohibitively high cost of living, anti-business attitude that is causing business to move out of the state, and the fact that the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA) had not only 33.6% of the state's population, but also more people than most states except for Texas, New York, and Florida. Los Angeles practically treats the rest of the state as one big straw.

I was extremely lucky in being able to purchase a nice modest home at the beginning of 2019 that is across the street from work, and which I walk to every day... something that really helps with the current record high gas prices. Try saying that in California where you must drive to work, and I know of folks who lived in Sacramento, Tracy, Stockton, Auburn, and even Placerville who super-commuted each day to the SF Bay Area. I had a friend of mine from Sacramento gripe that the cost of gas was $6.09. 

What's the point of living in "paradise" when you must work like crazy to afford to live there? I'm much happier living in the DFW area. I just got incredibly lucky in purchasing a home before prices shot through the roof. 

I understand your points except that they are a touch overgeneralized.

Not everyone here has to drive to work. When we lived in Sacramento (well into the ‘90s), we both could walk to work (in different locations!). Had we stayed there, we’d still be able to walk. 

The supposed “exodus” of people is primarily among those whose income would equally be problematic in highly desirable locations like NYC, Boston, etc. After all, notice where they’re moving to....

Moreover, environmentally/socially responsible companies are staying right here. Texas can have the ones that care only about the almighty $.  BTW: interesting how many of their workers don’t relocate. 

And, as consumptive as is LA County, there’s still plenty for the rest of us as California remains within the top 10 economies in the world. 

Of course, California is not for everyone. But just like any other relatively “expensive” location, “where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Not everyone here has to drive to work. When we lived in Sacramento (well into the ‘90s), we both could walk to work (in different locations!). Had we stayed there, we’d still be able to walk. 

The supposed “exodus” of people is primarily among those whose income would equally be problematic in highly desirable locations like NYC, Boston, etc. After all, notice where they’re moving to....

Since you lived in Sacramento, you are familiar with the suburb of Citrus Heights/Roseville. That's was an affordable suburb, but that meant you had to drive to work/leisure/social events/etc. Most of the time, you had to cross the notorious Sunrise Blvd bridge. During commute hours, it would turn a 20 minute commute into a hour-long slog, and contributed to my decision to make sure I was close to work and avoiding as much of the DFW traffic as possible.

Yes, I realize that my comments are "a touch overgeneralized". My comments were painted with a very generalized brushstroke. This is for the fun of cruising, not political debate, and my comments would not only take up multiple paragraphs but would cause this thread to go severely off-topic and get locked. That isn't my desire.

The world is starting to open up again after being locked down for two years due to Covid. The hub airports such as DFW, Houston, Atlanta, Chicago, and New York city are good launching points for international travel. That is something I look forward to doing more once my home is paid off. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Moreover, environmentally/socially responsible companies are staying right here. Texas can have the ones that care only about the almighty $.  BTW: interesting how many of their workers don’t relocate. 

And, as consumptive as is LA County, there’s still plenty for the rest of us as California remains within the top 10 economies in the world. 

Of course, California is not for everyone. But just like any other relatively “expensive” location, “where there’s a will, there’s a way.”

We really liked where we lived in Texas but moved to Florida to be closer to my son.  We moved just before/during the pandemic.  Super happy here it is all that and a bag of chips for us.  It sounds like you have found the place that is just right for you too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Can I Cruise said:

Thank you for this. I've read that booking early gives one advantages, when considering world cruises.

It's a skill I"ll have to learn, as I tend to book at least 75% of cruises within 1-2 months before the date and some even closer to departure date. 

I'll start looking at the world cruises for 2024,  intriguing at best, and, once plans are in place, there's time to research what else if available. 

I would advise finding a travel agent who is a cruise expert.  I have always booked travel independently, but got to know a TA specializing in cruises.  So 4 or 5 years ago had her book a cruise for us.  She just knows 'everything' about cruising, absolutely loves it all, and puts together some really good perks.  I'm in San Francisco, she's in Charleston, so distance is no issue in these days of electronic communication.  I still do tons of research by choice ... she is a terrific source of opinions and details when it comes to making a decision. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Can I Cruise said:

We do a combination of both booking long term and last minute.   It is always easy to grab a last minute Caribbean or Alaskan cruise but when you are looking at longer more exotic itineraries things can sell out more than a year in advance.  Flatbush Flyer could certainly give you lots of example of O cruises where one must get on a waiting list and then hope for cancelations.   Prior to COVID there were many cruises and lines that waiting meant either a wait list or no cruise :(.  And there are some lines that seldom to never lower prices for last minute bookings and often increase prices (sometimes dramatically).  So once you expand your horizons to lots of cruise lines and more exotic itineraries there is a new learning process.  Finding a really good cruise agent/agency can be helpful but this is not always easy in this market where many experienced agents have left the travel industry.

This brings up another point about how to book.  There are still many folks that prefer to book direct with a cruise line but that is not always a good idea, especially when you deal with many different cruise lines.  Using the right agency can yield thousands of dollars of On Board Credits on some cruises vs booking direct.  And having an agent who is familiar with all the cruise lines is also advantageous.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

And fill the bathtub with water---just in case?  

We have a 100 gallon tank in the garage with ro/di water that is used for our reef aquarium and we could always rely on that if needed. We actually have 2. One is for the fresh ro/di and the other is for mixed salt water. Also on solar, impact windows and a generator so we are set for hurricanes. When we lived in California it was the earthquakes that scared me. There really isn't a warning like with hurricanes. We lived in Silicone Valley in 1989 when the big one hit. Before moving to CA I was from the coast of Texas so I was used to hurricanes anyway. Wherever we move it definitely won't be where they have big earthquakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:43 AM, Can I Cruise said:

I'm starting on a 2-year plan (of research) to move closer to a cruise port, so I can spend at least half the year cruising. Florida appeals to me because of the number of ports, though the weather is a worry, unless I'm sitting in a pool, lol.. 

Has anyone moved for that reason or have any thoughts on what might or what might not work ?

Thank you,

Aunt Lydia

Florida, specifically South Florida.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Too bad those who are running this California don't understand where there is a will there is a way except for enriching themselves.    Some of us who were born here do remember when this state was much better for the average working person, and we do try to vote to make changes.  If I was younger would move out too because it is an uphill battle.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As I have read others responses, while I said--and still think I would try to do if PCH made me a visit--I'm happy where I live.  I have friends whom I would loose contact if I uprooted myself.  I live where there are two major interstates intersect, three international airports are within a 2 hour or less drive, the cost of living is reasonable, ample intellectual and arts events to attend, traffic that continues to increase but is not like a major urban area, and a state-wise political climate that has changed more than once in the decades in which I have lived here.  

Is it lacking?  Yes.  No one wants to dredge the Mississippi, Ohio, and Great Miami Rivers sufficiently to permit a -dam ship dock in downtown Dayton.  😀

I will stay where I am while dreaming of the "what ifs".  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

.....Before moving to CA I was from the coast of Texas so I was used to hurricanes anyway. Wherever we move it definitely won't be where they have big earthquakes.

Anyplace prone to natural disasters can be a gamble.

But, smart folks weigh the risks and can certainly reduce them with all sorts of research and rightly informed choices about where/how to live in their otherwise preferred location.

When we moved to the SF Bay Area we chose a home based on all the usual livability and desirability criteria. And, with geology being a particularly important item, we chose to live in a home that is situated on bedrock. Some other folks (including mortgage lenders) also consider that factor in making a housing decision. Our structure had experienced some very minor (and easily repaired) cosmetic damage from the Loma Prieta earthquake while, at the other end of the spectrum, many folks who chose to live in (more or less expensive) homes built on landfill couldn’t say the same.

Again, “where there’s a will, there’s a way.”. 

• Like 1

We lived in Melbourne, Florida for several years. Port Canaveral was 20 minutes away, Fort Lauderdale was under 2 hours. That's a nice part of Florida. Lots of retired people, homes aren't crazy expensive and you're far enough away from the tourist places. The Orlando airport was 45 minutes away from our house but Melbourne also has a small airport with service to a few places like Atlanta.

We used to take a lot of weekend cruises. I would take the afternoon off work on Friday afternoon and be at my office on time on Monday mornings. We would just watch for specials and go whenever there was a decent deal. 

The only thing I didn't like about living in Florida was feeing like it was Groundhog Day. Every day looked the same whether it was January or July 1. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We enjoy going on cruises, but I guess maybe we don't live to cruise.   I think our activities are diverse enough to disqualify us from being part of the "cruising lifestyle".   Still it seems we take a lot of cruises.   Just not enough to influence where we live.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Korimako said:

Not everyone who cruises lives in N America ! 😺😺😺😺

If going on cruises were your passion, what location, if any, would appeal to you to live that passion?  

BTW, we enjoyed boarding a cruise ship in Auckland.  It was a neat city to spend a few days.   I hope to do that again some day.  

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 10:43 PM, Can I Cruise said:

I'm starting on a 2-year plan (of research) to move closer to a cruise port, so I can spend at least half the year cruising. Florida appeals to me because of the number of ports, though the weather is a worry, unless I'm sitting in a pool, lol.. 

Has anyone moved for that reason or have any thoughts on what might or what might not work ?

Thank you,

Aunt Lydia

Well, Aunt Lydia, I've been reading this thread with great interest.  Just had a conversation with a good friend about something totally unrelated to your question.  Several hours later, it occurs to me that you might be reacting to the last 2+ years of the virus disaster.  You may be interested in moving just to DO something positive, to move forward with your life.  You may find that you're perfectly content as the world opens up and life gets back to normal ... ever so slowly.  Just food for thought.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

Well, Aunt Lydia, I've been reading this thread with great interest.  Just had a conversation with a good friend about something totally unrelated to your question.  Several hours later, it occurs to me that you might be reacting to the last 2+ years of the virus disaster.  You may be interested in moving just to DO something positive, to move forward with your life.  You may find that you're perfectly content as the world opens up and life gets back to normal ... ever so slowly.  Just food for thought.

Thank you so much for your post- it really hit a few major points. 

I love to travel, which I've always coined  as my  "mood alterer".

Making travel (cruising) a priority is something that I've always, in the back of my mind, thought that I'd be doing more of, when I had more time/ retirement. 

This thread has been interesting and I've been inspired at the amount of information that people have brought forward-  from living close to cruise ports vs close to airports leading to travel, locations that one wants to travel to and finally, the importance of  one's surroundings, be it new or familiar, as one reacts and adjusts to the new way & constraints of travel. 

• Like 1