Haven worth it for a solo?

KKB

I am considering bidding on a Haven room.

But I will be solo this cruise (DH  only will take ONE cruise during golf league...)

Wondering if anyone has sailed Haven solo.

Pros/cons?

14 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

If the price is right...

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money solo.

Got a heck of a deal on a balcony to start. No solo supplement.

And the min bid is about what I paid for the cruise.

No, no guarantees & I am perfectly happy with my room. 

But seems like a potential good deal to try it once.

More concerned if as a solo it is alienating somewhat.

Edited by KKB

I don't do the Haven but it's got nothing to do with being a solo.   I say go for it.   You'll have wonderful amenities and surroundings but it's not like you have to stay within the Haven confines.  There are solo meetups (outside of the Haven) where people can get together for meals, shows, etc.

I'm sure you'll meet some fun folks in the Haven also if you are outgoing. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KKB said:

I personally wouldn't.  But I'm not one that wants anyone else in "my" space.

And just to clarify, your bid will be double - I'd rather spend my money on a balcony on another cruise!

• Like 2

i've traveled solo in the haven... no stigma associated with it whatsoever and full service is provided... there's no lesser treatment because you're dining alone or have a cabin for one.  nobody looks upon you as an outcast.

as for whether it's alienating... only to the degree you choose not to interact with others. you're in control of your experience and can choose to talk to whomever you wish or make new friends or dine alone or dine with those new friends (assuming they are also in the haven).

• Like 5

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

i've traveled solo in the haven... no stigma associated with it whatsoever and full service is provided... there's no lesser treatment because you're dining alone or have a cabin for one.  nobody looks upon you as an outcast.

as for whether it's alienating... only to the degree you choose not to interact with others. you're in control of your experience and can choose to talk to whomever you wish or make new friends or dine alone or dine with those new friends (assuming they are also in the haven).

I'm VERY social.

Figured the Haven is more family/couples...I'm happy to make friends with anyone. 

I also don't mind doing things alone.

Much to ponder...

If you can upgrade at a price that works for you... than the upgrade only increases your options on board, and personally, whether single or not, More options is always a good thing!   Good Luck

I have cruised solo in the Haven a few times, and have enjoyed it a great deal. The private sundeck alone for me is worth the price of admission. Many early mornings I was up there alone with my thoughts, my coffee, and the sea. Incredible. If you can afford it, I say do it! As others have said, you can be as social as you want just by leaving the Haven area. 

• Like 1

Have sailed on the Haven solo a couple of times.  Unique experience (in a very good way).

Overall, I think solo cruising is more and more of a “thing”.  I used to hesitate going solo on ANY cruise.  Now?  I do it in a heartbeat.  My SO sometimes can’t, and sometimes won’t cruise.  That’s OK.  I can and I do.

Advantages?  Planning is much, much easier.  

As @KateQ22003 points out, the private sun deck really is a nice space to spend time, overlooking the water, without a gaggle of people around or the noise associated with other parts of the ship.

While I do bemoan the lack of variety in the Haven Restaurant, the quality of the food and service is exceptional.  Plus, no waiting around or worrying about reservations.

Turning all of my requests and issues over to the Concierges to work through is a luxury in and of itself.

Plus, there’s the social camaraderie of the Haven Bar, where it’s easier to get served and to meet.  Made friends there that I still keep in touch with.

Doing all of that solo, if the price is right, is worth the price of admission, especially now when service is, at best, strained on all the ships.

Sailed Royal’s Ovation of the Seas to Alaska at the beginning of the Alaska season.  For the first time in my cruising experience, there was a line I had to wait in to get into the Buffet.  It wasn’t short, either.  That doesn’t even address the line to get into any of the MDRs, which were quite long and took quite some time.  Frustrating whether you’re solo or sailing with anyone else.

In the Haven?  All that goes away!

Haven prices right now for the summer are appealing, too.

• Like 1

@GraphicGuy, a little OT here but on Escape they were offering a daily lunch special, daily dinner special and 2 dinner desserts in addition to the new upgraded Havenmenus.  However, I heard that's only on longer cruises (Greek Isles) and not for a 7 day run.  I didn't stay there so someone else would have more info + know about other ships.  

Happy Sails!

• Like 1

Just don't forget that even though you're solo, your upgrade bids get charged twice as if there were 2 people. 

No alienating at all, we've met tons of people who weren't sailing solo but would hang out in the lounge/bar on their own while their SO was either at the pool, napping, etc. 

If you're open to making friends, there will always be someone willing to chat with you.

On 6/2/2022 at 1:02 PM, KKB said:

I'd def go for it.  I do it when I sail on Celebrity in the Retreat

On 6/2/2022 at 11:37 AM, KKB said:

I am considering bidding on a Haven room.

But I will be solo this cruise (DH  only will take ONE cruise during golf league...)

Wondering if anyone has sailed Haven solo.

Pros/cons?

@KKBHello and I just went through the same decision as you are asking for advice.  Allow me to give you some background so my answer to your inquiry makes sense.  I wrote three very popular Op-Ed's on CruiseCritic.com.  The first two were all about "The Secrets of the Haven VIP Luxury Experience" the second was same topic but revised for 2022.  The third Op-Ed was just as popular on why to consider the Premium Plus Beverage Package upgrade.  This gives you some foundation.

For the first time in my 43 years of cruising, I just did a Solo cruise on the NCL Joy.  I booked a Club Suite because I only had to pay for a single rate.  Usually, you have to pay both fares.  My hope was to be able to upgrade to the Haven which is the way I like to cruise which my writings support.  When you do a upgrade bid, you have to pay the upgrade twice.  So it your bid is $500.00, you pay $1000.00.  I was hoping to sneak in on the low side.  Little did I know, one of NCL ships would go a ground and the passengers filled up the Joy for my sailing.  There went any chance of upgrade out the port hole.

I was a little disappointed buy had a plan.  What if I did a Haven Lite cruise.  Do everything I could do to make as close to the Haven as possible.  I bought the "Vibe Beach Club" for $200.00; Premium Plus Beverage Package for $250.00; Three extra Nights of Specialty Restaurants for $100.00.  My total/total was about $1,500.00 for a Solo.  Unless I was upgraded at a low bid, this was far, far less then doing Solo in the Haven at retail.  I did this because I wanted to see how much I would miss. Sound close to your situation?

I had a GREAT time.  The Vibe Beach Club was unbelievable for me.  The staff treated me like a king.  The extra nights of Specialty Restaurants was perfect.  I eat in Cagney's three nights out of the seven on board.  I met another solo traveler who ate at Cagney's every night so we had a meal together.  My bar of choice for the kind of upper end drinks I do on a cruise usually would be the Haven Bar.  Since I could not use it, my bar of choice was the "A" list bar.  Again, they treated me like a king.  

My personal conclusion was if I am a Solo, I would do the Haven if I could win a lower cost bid.  If not, I would approach it as Haven Lite.  Allow me to add, my wife and I are cruising on the Breakaway in December 2022.  We are going Haven Lite unless we can bid up.  Read every ones comments, lots of great comments.  Be open to all options.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cruise Well

• Like 1

I work hard - so when I cruise, my choice will always be in the Haven. My upcoming cruise will be my second solo in the Haven. Was it expensive? Sure! But I only cruise once a year and my other time away from work is always staycations. I just feel that I’m worth the pampering once a year!

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, NayRN said:

I work hard - so when I cruise, my choice will always be in the Haven. My upcoming cruise will be my second solo in the Haven. Was it expensive? Sure! But I only cruise once a year and my other time away from work is always staycations. I just feel that I’m worth the pampering once a year!

@NayRNFirst and foremost, thank you for what you do as a RN.  You don't just work hard, you save lives and that is so very important.  You deserve the Haven more most including myself.  

If we ever cruise on the same ship, a bottle of champagne is on its way to you.  I wish that NCL would have a policy the rewards first responders, military, doctors and nurses.  

Cruise well.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@KKBHello and I just went through the same decision as you are asking for advice.  Allow me to give you some background so my answer to your inquiry makes sense.  I wrote three very popular Op-Ed's on CruiseCritic.com.  The first two were all about "The Secrets of the Haven VIP Luxury Experience" the second was same topic but revised for 2022.  The third Op-Ed was just as popular on why to consider the Premium Plus Beverage Package upgrade.  This gives you some foundation.

For the first time in my 43 years of cruising, I just did a Solo cruise on the NCL Joy.  I booked a Club Suite because I only had to pay for a single rate.  Usually, you have to pay both fares.  My hope was to be able to upgrade to the Haven which is the way I like to cruise which my writings support.  When you do a upgrade bid, you have to pay the upgrade twice.  So it your bid is $500.00, you pay $1000.00.  I was hoping to sneak in on the low side.  Little did I know, one of NCL ships would go a ground and the passengers filled up the Joy for my sailing.  There went any chance of upgrade out the port hole.

I was a little disappointed buy had a plan.  What if I did a Haven Lite cruise.  Do everything I could do to make as close to the Haven as possible.  I bought the "Vibe Beach Club" for $200.00; Premium Plus Beverage Package for $250.00; Three extra Nights of Specialty Restaurants for $100.00.  My total/total was about $1,500.00 for a Solo.  Unless I was upgraded at a low bid, this was far, far less then doing Solo in the Haven at retail.  I did this because I wanted to see how much I would miss. Sound close to your situation?

I had a GREAT time.  The Vibe Beach Club was unbelievable for me.  The staff treated me like a king.  The extra nights of Specialty Restaurants was perfect.  I eat in Cagney's three nights out of the seven on board.  I met another solo traveler who ate at Cagney's every night so we had a meal together.  My bar of choice for the kind of upper end drinks I do on a cruise usually would be the Haven Bar.  Since I could not use it, my bar of choice was the "A" list bar.  Again, they treated me like a king.  

My personal conclusion was if I am a Solo, I would do the Haven if I could win a lower cost bid.  If not, I would approach it as Haven Lite.  Allow me to add, my wife and I are cruising on the Breakaway in December 2022.  We are going Haven Lite unless we can bid up.  Read every ones comments, lots of great comments.  Be open to all options.  Hope you enjoy your cruise.

Cruise Well

Interesting...kind of what I was considering. Min bid is $500"pp", so $1K. 

UNFORTUNATELY since this goes out of Orlando, the ONLY shuttle that I could find to the port has me arriving around noon. Unlikely I could get the Vibe pass (but I will TRY!) I was warned that taking Lyft/Uber from Orlando to the port could be VERY pricey.

I may get the specialty dining for 3 extra nights...fairly cheap add on.

Drink package...on Celebrity it is only about $10/day so a no brainer to get better wines. 

But more than $20/day...I think I would be better off just paying the difference if I find a better wine. Otherwise I prefer Tito's vodka--as I recall I had no issues getting that.

2 minutes ago, KKB said:

UNFORTUNATELY since this goes out of Orlando, the ONLY shuttle that I could find to the port has me arriving around noon.

May I recommend you post a topic on most reasonable shuttles for early arrival on this NCL Blog. I am assuming you are flying in the day off.  If not, possible consider staying in a hotel closer to the port.  When I do this, it is a super quick and cheap cab or uber ride to the port.  Not telling you what to do. Just giving some thoughts. 

Cruise well.

7 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

May I recommend you post a topic on most reasonable shuttles for early arrival on this NCL Blog. I am assuming you are flying in the day off.  If not, possible consider staying in a hotel closer to the port.  When I do this, it is a super quick and cheap cab or uber ride to the port.  Not telling you what to do. Just giving some thoughts. 

Cruise well.

I am flying in the day before.

I did find a 9AM shuttle for a bit more from the airport. My hotel has a free airport shuttle.

I am currently looking at hotels near the port & transfer costs the day before.

Thx so much.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KKB said:

I am flying in the day before.

I did find a 9AM shuttle for a bit more from the airport. My hotel has a free airport shuttle.

I am currently looking at hotels near the port & transfer costs the day before.

Thx so much.

OK, great.  Here is another strategy if you want the Vibe Beach Club.  Step one: Get the earliest arrive time at the port possible.  When you get there, even if you are early, there will be a line.  Step two: research online where the Vibe Beach Club passes are being sold on the ship.  Step three: When you get in the waiting room to board, get a set closest to the entry door.  Step four: get in and to the Vibe Table as fast as you can.  

This is the process I did and I was in a Club Suite.  I was second online.  The Vibe was a game changer if I was not in the Haven.  If the weather for the week looked bad, i would have done the Thermal Spa if the ship had it.  Both are purchased on the ship (Thermal Spa sometimes is available pre-cruise so check).  I am not suggesting doing both.  Just make a wise business decision based on weather. 

Cruise well.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@NayRNFirst and foremost, thank you for what you do as a RN.  You don't just work hard, you save lives and that is so very important.  You deserve the Haven more most including myself.  

If we ever cruise on the same ship, a bottle of champagne is on its way to you.  I wish that NCL would have a policy the rewards first responders, military, doctors and nurses.  

Cruise well.

Thank you so much for the kind words…and seriously, no champagne is necessary. I love what I do (although sometimes it does feel pretty thankless)! I also take care of myself - as does the health system I am fortunate to work for - they push self-care so much because they know that we are unable to help others if we don’t first take care of ourselves!

Edited by NayRN
Typo!
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1