If you are in the Haven and test positive for Covid?

Laszlo

I can't speak from personal experience, but there have been at least a half dozen guests of Haven who  reported that they were removed from haven and put in an ocean view room near the medical center. There was one report of a haven guest being moved to a balcony cabin closer the the medical center during the January upswell, but for the most part it appears NCL prefers to move guests down low and ocean view.

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I can't speak from personal experience, but there have been at least a half dozen guests of Haven who  reported that they were removed from haven and put in an ocean view room near the medical center. There was one report of a haven guest being moved to a balcony cabin closer the the medical center during the January upswell, but for the most part it appears NCL prefers to move guests down low and ocean view.

This is correct.  I tested positive the day before disembarcation.  Husband was negative.  I was moved to OV near medical center.  He stayed in the Haven cabin, probably since it was only 1 more night.  

Next day there were 63 of us (positives plus negative partners) not sure how many of each type.  Italy couldn't handle us (not sure why) so we stayed on board and were moved to different cabins. We stayed together, not sure about others.  We were treated very very well.  No complaints here.  Of course, we are retired and recovering while sailing while being provided excellent food sure beats having to cook for myself.  7 days later we were both negative and released from quarantine.  I should add that while I was not asymptomatic, I did not feel really bad at any time.  That made a difference in my attitude as well.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Laszlo said:

If you are in the Haven and test positive for Covid do you get stay on your cabin or are you sent to another one?

Yes I think they put you in an inside or oceanview so you can't kill yourself because you can't handle being locked in the cabin or because you are facing thousands in bills for new flights and hotel quarantine.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ace2542 said:

Yes I think they put you in an inside or oceanview so you can't kill yourself because you can't handle being locked in the cabin or because you are facing thousands in bills for new flights and hotel quarantine.

Total nonsense. I know that some passengers on other cruises lines, including NCL's corporate sibling Oceania reported they were allowed to remain in their suites...which include a balcony...during quarantine.

There may be a variety of reasons why you are moved, but your explanation isn't one of them.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Total nonsense. I know that some passengers on other cruises lines, including NCL's corporate sibling Oceania reported they were allowed to remain in their suites...which include a balcony...during quarantine.

There may be a variety of reasons why you are moved, but your explanation isn't one of them.

Don't beat around the bush now, tell us what you REALLY think...

27 minutes ago, Jacobs Ema said:

For the money I paid, and the hoops we have to jump through, they damn well better leave me in my Haven cabin. It’s not like they could put anyone else in there. Why contaminate another room?

Two reasons you will be moved. 1) They want you isolated so other passengers can't see the hazmat suits coming and going. Your trash is treated as hazmat. The food tray you put outside your door after eating is treated as hazmat, etc... and 2) They want you near the medical center (silly I know since no one is really getting sick). 

If you test positive you should expect to be moved to an ocean view cabin. That appears to be the result 99% of the time. There are a handful of reports being moved to an inside cabin and a handful being moved to a balcony, but zero reports of being able to stay in Haven. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

and 2) They want you near the medical center (silly I know since no one is really getting sick). 

We did have to turn around and return to meet the Italian coast guard so one passenger could be evacuated.

The delay caused us to miss the port of Santorini.  True I don't know for SURE that he or she was one of our 63 (positives plus partners) but it was soon after our quarantine.  Quite a coincidence if it was something else and not covid related.  

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

1) They want you isolated so other passengers can't see the hazmat suits coming and going. Your trash is treated as hazmat. The food tray you put outside your door after eating is treated as hazmat, etc.

Very true, not very "Haven like" at all.  Even our laundry was placed outside the door in a red "hazmat" bag and was returned the same way.  That said, one more time, we were very happy with the efforts made on our behalf.  No complaints here.
Also very grateful I was not the one sick enough to need evacuation.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacobs Ema said:

For the money I paid, and the hoops we have to jump through, they damn well better leave me in my Haven cabin. It’s not like they could put anyone else in there. Why contaminate another room?

When you test positive,  your cruise ends. That’s the catch. You get a prorated refund and a trip to an comfy inside room. 

5 hours ago, BklynBorn47 said:

We did have to turn around and return to meet the Italian coast guard so one passenger could be evacuated.

The delay caused us to miss the port of Santorini.  True I don't know for SURE that he or she was one of our 63 (positives plus partners) but it was soon after our quarantine.  Quite a coincidence if it was something else and not covid related.  

Very true, not very "Haven like" at all.  Even our laundry was placed outside the door in a red "hazmat" bag and was returned the same way.  That said, one more time, we were very happy with the efforts made on our behalf.  No complaints here.
Also very grateful I was not the one sick enough to need evacuation.  

Sounds like you were on our Escape 5/11/22 cruise with the medical emergency causing us to turn back to Civitavecchia and ultimately cancellation of Santorini.  At the "Floating Hotel" Q and A the General Manager said the woman had had heart surgery and experienced an issue such that she was now in an Italian hospital.  They received email that she made it.

I was right in the atrium just feet away when she went down for the count.  It was apparently not covid related but rather cardiac.

I ended up testing positive despite always masked, even on outdoor shorex.  Care was excellent.  Like you, grateful it could be handled right onboard and no evacuation necessary.  Everyone was disappointed at the missed port but they did save a life.  When we turned back to Civitavecchia I suspected there was no way to reach Santorini in time, especially since it was an afternoon arrival with tender.  

Glad you are OK. I had a test today after returning home- negative antigen.  We'll see what PCR says because reportedly by our CDC one can test positive on PCR weeks or even months after covid.

If you were on Escape, I had no idea there were 63 cases.  Curious how you learned that?  There were very few tables out on deck 5.  I was put in an oceanview for 7 days per Italian protocol.  I did send laundry out using the "crew slip" but got it back in regular wicker basket, not hazmat red.

Asked for extra towels, etc. and  they came in clear plastic bag.  Though my used stuff went out in orange infectious disease bags both for towels and trash.  I also learned to clean my own cabin using the disinfectant wipes, vinyl gloves and pink handiwipes I received.  Didn't change sheets but I did change my pillow cases.  No cabin steward allowed inside to clean.

9 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Two reasons you will be moved. 1) They want you isolated so other passengers can't see the hazmat suits coming and going. Your trash is treated as hazmat. The food tray you put outside your door after eating is treated as hazmat, etc... and 2) They want you near the medical center (silly I know since no one is really getting sick). 

If you test positive you should expect to be moved to an ocean view cabin. That appears to be the result 99% of the time. There are a handful of reports being moved to an inside cabin and a handful being moved to a balcony, but zero reports of being able to stay in Haven. 

Another thread mention another reason is so security can monitor the hallway to ensure you don't leave your cabin. It's easier to keep track of all infected passengers if they are in the same location. Apparently, cabin doors can't be secured in a way to lock passengers inside.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

I had a test today after returning home- negative antigen.  We'll see what PCR says because reportedly by our CDC one can test positive on PCR weeks or even months after covid.

From what I have read the PCR test picks up dead virus and that's why you can test positive months after.  The anitgen tests only pick up live virus.  That's supposed to be the reason why the cruise lines and the like accept antigen tests. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

When you test positive,  your cruise ends. That’s the catch. You get a prorated refund and a trip to an comfy inside room. 

You get a prorated refund if you test positive???

10 hours ago, snorklinbarb said:

Sounds like you were on our Escape 5/11/22 cruise with the medical emergency causing us to turn back to Civitavecchia and ultimately cancellation of Santorini.

Yes, we were on the Escape TA from NYC and unexpectedly joined its next leg with you.
We were supposed to fly to Barcelona and pick up the Star for 2 more legs but my positive test squashed that.  Our PCC cancelled Barcelona to Southampton. We booked flights & hotel to Southampton and joined the Star there on the 22nd after our "surprise" cruise ended back in Rome. Southampton to Reykjavik was wonderful and without incident.

There were 63 of us gathered in the "Supper Club" where we expected to be transferred to Italian hotels but suddenly after several hours we realized the ship was MOVING.  We were not getting off.  They took excellent care of us bringing trays of sandwiches, cookies, drinks, even "non alcoholic mojitoes"  Not sure exactly what happened - some snafu with the Italian government.  Not sure how many of our group of 63 were positive since negative partners were there also.  
Glad the evacuated lady had a good outcome.  
We also wore our masks except when eating or outdoors away from people, but I'm pretty sure I know how I got it.  Several people on excursions that involved long bus rides were obviously sick and unmasked.  One guy coughed hard continuously AND I overheard the discussion to "take tylenol to beat the daily temperature check"  How nice of them! 

Since they were flying from Italy to a country that didn't require a test he was free to spread his germs far and wide.  Yep, he beat the system all right.