Views in Discovery dining rooms/ restaurants

Goddessinjapan

Hello, all! I'm headed on a solo Alaska cruise on Discovery Princess and am wondering about view tables in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants. Which ones have the best views (or the most windows...I suppose the actual view depends on what's going by at the time!). Do I ask ahead for a table near the window?

Also, do the specialty restaurants offer lunch on any days? Is there a discount? How should I reserve?

Any other new Discovery advice? I took a Princess cruise 10 years ago, but I'm sure that much has changed!

Is there anything else I should be reserving ahead? The Medallion app is driving me nuts right here on dry land!!

Edited by Goddessinjapan

Well, it's dark out whenever I eat dinner so I can't help you there.  I rarely eat breakfast or lunch in a MDR.  The view would be the ocean going by which you can see most anywhere.  

Except for Gigi's pizza, specialty dining does not offer lunch.  They and La Mer are supposed to offer Al Fresco dining but they did not the 2 weeks that I was on.  Except for a couple of nights, it was chilly.  

There is only so much you can reserve ahead of time.  Specialty dining on the app.  Spa on the website.  

She's a beautiful ship.  

MDR windows are both on port and starboard side.  Most often (generic ship), dining room on deck 6/starboard side is reserved for Club Class dining.  That will reduce the number of available windows for that dining room.  Both other dining rooms will have about the same amount of window tables.

Depending on time of day and direction of ship, the sun can be so bright that passengers/staff close the curtains.  This is not only to benefit the people nearest the window, but sometimes a table or two

in.  As the post above mentions, once it gets dark, there is very little to see outside from the MDR.

Crown Grill has booths with windows.  the Assistant Manager usually sits parties of 3 or 4 at those tables, but you can always ask.  

Sabatini's has very limited tables near the window.  One booth and one large table.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Most often (generic ship), dining room on deck 6/starboard side is reserved for Club Class dining. 

Not that it matters much to the topic of window views, but I would say all of the CC sections I have seen are on the Port side of the Deck 6 DR.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

Not that it matters much to the topic of window views, but I would say all of the CC sections I have seen are on the Port side of the Deck 6 DR.

You are probably correct.  I have not been on the Royal Class ships.

On 6/5/2022 at 7:51 PM, Goddessinjapan said:

Hello, all! I'm headed on a solo Alaska cruise on Discovery Princess and am wondering about view tables in the main dining rooms and specialty restaurants. Which ones have the best views (or the most windows...I suppose the actual view depends on what's going by at the time!). Do I ask ahead for a table near the window?

Also, do the specialty restaurants offer lunch on any days? Is there a discount? How should I reserve?

Any other new Discovery advice? I took a Princess cruise 10 years ago, but I'm sure that much has changed!

Is there anything else I should be reserving ahead? The Medallion app is driving me nuts right here on dry land!!

At dinner time, you will see absolutely nothing.  The ocean and sky are both dark, so whatever views you were hoping for will not be there.  You should have better luck at breakfast and/or lunch.

Specialty restaurants are not open for lunch.  No discounts on specialty restaurants.

If a view is important to you, which we like too, best option is the buffet area.  We have 30+ cruises with Princess, about 10 years ago, we stopped going to MDR for dinner most nights.   We go to the buffet usually around 4:30 or 5:00 pm, find a table with the best view and enjoy what the view offers over our meal.  Doing so we discovered buffet area is generally not crowded early on, so we have a peaceful meal with a view to boot.  Buffet meal offerings are more than adequate for us.  Being served does not rate as high as a view, even just a sea view for us.   There really is not a lot of difference between the food in the buffet and the MDR from our perspective.   If we are looking for a better meal, we go to the Crown Grill.   Depending on the ship, some Grown Grill's have a table near a window as well.   But best view is at the buffet.

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I've only done CC once and it was on Regal and we were indeed on Port side of Concerto on Deck 6. 

As for answering the question of the OP, window tables in the dining rooms for dinner are vastly overrated.  If you can grab a table by the window at lunch that might be nice, either in the MDR that serves lunch or Gigi's.  The location of Gigi's on Discovery is particularly intriguing as it appears that outdoor dining will be an option.  I'd love to give that a go.   And the best views will be from the World Fresh Marketplace area in the mornings and afternoons.  But the views in the evening from the MDRs and Specialty Restaurants aren't worth worrying about.  While I do like the solitude of having a wall behind me so that I am not surrounded by other tables, that is really the only benefit.  The view does not add to the experience at all.  

35 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

But the views in the evening from the MDRs and Specialty Restaurants aren't worth worrying about.  While I do like the solitude of having a wall behind me so that I am not surrounded by other tables, that is really the only benefit.  The view does not add to the experience at all.  

I tend to agree - certainly with the first part.  I'm happy with a quieter area in the DR, but often those are near windows.  Since we tend to eat in the earlier hours, there is usually a sunset on the water and looks nice.  But after a glance or two, I am more focused on tablemates, the wine, conversation, the wine, the food, more wine.  LOL.  

We often sail with friends and we rotate our seats every night so everyone has a different viewpoint and so you may see the wall one night, out the window another, across the DR another.  I like having my back to the wall so I can see who is coming.  LOL.

I am going to support the opinion that best views are in the buffet area.  To add to that opinion, though, consider the outside area aft of the buffet.  If you look at a deck plan you can see it is near the Wake Bar.  There are tables and some servers out there, although you can also avail yourself of the self-service coffee machine.  A couple years ago on an Alaska cruise on the Royal Princess (sister ship of the Discovery Princess), I would grab breakfast at the buffet, walk out there and to enjoy my meal.  The area is wind-protected.  So, it was not uncomfortable, at all, to sit out there.

• Like 2

Great advice about the buffet, thanks! There are a couple of nights where my reserved times are just over an hour before thenight's entertainment, so maybe I will opt for the buffet those nights.

Sunset in Alaska is around 10:30 at night, and I am still hoping for some dinnertime views.

Since I'm on my own, it's fun to look out the window.

I really appreciate any advice, especially since it's a new ship and there aren't a ton of reviews.

I've been to Alaska before,  but it'll be my first time in Skagway. This is a bit of a last-minute trip, but I should probably get serious about figuring out excursions...or at least one!

Edited by Goddessinjapan

Go to https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/visitorcenter.htm

They offer a free walking tour of the town. BUT...you must pre-order your free tickets.  I love Skagway and have done many independent tours here. Too bad Dyea Dave tour company is temporarily closed.  Google him and check out the details.  

Many have chosen to take the train ride.  I love trains, but the thought of being with a large crowd is more than I would be comfortable with at this time.  

Enjoy your solo cruise.  

We just returned from an Alaska cruise on Discovery, and found that Sabatini's and the main dining rooms had the best views.  Crown Grill is obstructed by lifeboats, and Gigi's and Sur la Mer have decks outside.  Keep in mind that in summer in Alaska it will still be light outside for dinner (and well into the night).  Enjoy your cruise!

On 6/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, Steelers36 said:

On the three ships I've had Club Class the entrance and seating was on the Starboard side of deck six. On the Caribbean and Grand Princess they are on the same side as the window suites which is my usual choice of cabins on starboard side. 

On one of my visits to Skagway, I rented a bike. It was a great ride along Dyea Road. Last time, I hiked a little bit to Yakutania Point. There's a pedestrian bridge over the water near the airport that leads to trails. You could also walk to the Gold Rush Cemetery and Lower Reid Falls. There's a scenic overlook on Dyea Road not far from them. I enjoyed a tasting flight at the Skagway Brewing Company after my hike last time

• Like 2

If you go on a port day, you can get a view table by Gigi's, otherwise it gets packed on sea days. I go to the international cafe in the morning and sit by a window in one of the closed bars, very close to the waves--Salty Dog and Good Spirits would be the ones on Discovery. Otherwise the best views will be on deck 7, since both Gigi's and Bistro have outdoor seating (not sure if they have it out on Alaska, since the weather doesn't make it pleasant). There are outdoor seating areas midships on deck 7, curved outward to match the seawalk overhead, but the secret special spot is the outdoor areas at the aft of the ship, to the left and right of the Vista lounge. The starboard side has a smoking area, so on a Mexico trip I spend my days and evenings on loungers on the port side, which is close to the water, great for sunsets, great for spotting whales and dolphins (black/white Dall's porpoises in Alaska), and there's a restroom right inside. That's where I'd go for Endicott Arm and glacier viewing also, since you can go from side to side easily and get close-up views of the amazing blue ice in the water, depending on what's coming up. Another good option is the wake view area, since it's more sheltered from the wind and usually is less crowded. In Mexico I ate buffet food out there (I brought a plastic tray), for distancing and to see the sea better. The buffet will have better views than the dining rooms, but it might be difficult to score a window table if you eat at peak times--on the Majestic, at 40% occupancy, I would take my food to deserted parts of the buffet, so it was easy to get a window seat (it also meant an unattended drinks station, so I wouldn't get nagged for pouring my own drinks).  

On 6/7/2022 at 8:34 AM, toofewcruises said:

At dinner time, you will see absolutely nothing.  The ocean and sky are both dark, so whatever views you were hoping for will not be there.  You should have better luck at breakfast and/or lunch.

Specialty restaurants are not open for lunch.  No discounts on specialty restaurants.

Today the sun is going to set from 9:30 PM to around 10:20 PM in Alaska (depending on which town you are in) so you would definitely have a view at dinner time.