Sydney Hotels

Hi we will be in Sydney for 3 night pre cruise and for 5 night between cruises. We are looking for a decent hotel for these nights. We don’t need anything too fancy but still a nice clean place near decent pubs and restaurants. We will be there in late February and March 2023. Thanks any recommendations would be appreciated.

My favourite place to stay in Sydney is Potts Point.  I stay at the basic De Vere Motel, but there are a lot of choices of accommodation and restaurants.  If you enjoy walking, you can walk to the city via the Botanical Gardens or walk to the Harbour. Buses run two routes to Central Station or  to the City and theatres on the harbour.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve H said:

Hi we will be in Sydney for 3 night pre cruise and for 5 night between cruises. We are looking for a decent hotel for these nights. We don’t need anything too fancy but still a nice clean place near decent pubs and restaurants. We will be there in late February and March 2023. Thanks any recommendations would be appreciated.

I’d split your stay ,get a service apartment for the second stay.

I don’t know if they will be open but for your 3 night stay try this place.

https://www.therussell.com.au

First question? Are you a member of any loyalty schemes.

second question? Where are you sailing from, ie which terminal White Bay or OPT.

Third question? What do you hope to see and do.

Fourth question? Your budget

For the 5 nights I certainly support the suggestion of serviced appartments.

For Hotels we really like The Grace it is fairly central, reasonably priced and the staff are great. We also like the Old Holiday Inn right at the OPT, but that is more a one night before our cruise spot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve H said:

Check out Meriton Apartments, they have a couple of location in CBD, Pitt St one would be best for you.

• Like 2

I will throw this one up - Haven Inn, Glebe. I haven't stayed here for a few years, but it is pretty good on a budget and is on Glebe Point Rd, one of Sydney's original eat streets.

I would also agree with above, if cruising out of the main passenger terminal, the Rydges Sydney Harbour (formerly Old Sydney Holiday Inn) is just across the road. Endless dining/bar options at walking distance in the Rocks, Circular Quay, City, or just a ferry ride to a heap of other options in Manly or Darling Harbour.

For what it is worth, wherever I stay in the world I always stay somewhere unique, somewhere I'd like to live, not a "cookie cutter" hotel chain the same throughout the world.  If I'm going to have time to cook,  I buy fresh food from markets, I love a kitchen.  If I'm not going to have time, I stay near somewhere I can buy take away home cooking.  

On 6/7/2022 at 2:38 PM, Steve H said:

Looking at the Lord Nelson brewery. Anyone know it?

Lord Nelson , I know it well ,a very unique hotel with a local feel.

I would definitely put it on your list but it’s a bit to far to walk to the ship or public transport. A taxi or Uber would fix that problem.
If you are looking for a historical pub in the rocks .

The Russell ( it should be open by February) Definitely the best.

Lord Nelson

Harbour rocks hotel is another to have a look at.

But as others have said the Rydges is central and does a good job.

https://www.harbourrocks.com.au/?merchantid=ppc-mga-mar-goo-au-en-sear&sourceid=au-loc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc-mga-mar-goo-au-en-hrh-mix-sear-a&utm_term=mar&utm_content=au-en-AU-V5577&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78rVoeue-AIVI5JmAh0GewWbEAAYAiAAEgLbUvD_BwE

On 6/9/2022 at 7:56 AM, Chiliburn said:

Lord Nelson , I know it well ,a very unique hotel with a local feel.

I would definitely put it on your list but it’s a bit to far to walk to the ship or public transport. A taxi or Uber would fix that problem.
If you are looking for a historical pub in the rocks .

The Russell ( it should be open by February) Definitely the best.

Lord Nelson

Harbour rocks hotel is another to have a look at.

But as others have said the Rydges is central and does a good job.

https://www.harbourrocks.com.au/?merchantid=ppc-mga-mar-goo-au-en-sear&sourceid=au-loc&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc-mga-mar-goo-au-en-hrh-mix-sear-a&utm_term=mar&utm_content=au-en-AU-V5577&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI78rVoeue-AIVI5JmAh0GewWbEAAYAiAAEgLbUvD_BwE

Some years ago Lord Nelson Hotel in the Rocks had a dark beer, a porter called 'Nelsons Blood.' By all accounts it was a good brew. Some good pubs in that end of ye olde Sydney Town.

Nothing wrong with Rydges chain of hotels, stayed in a few of them. Join their Loyalty club, get a couple of free drinks, members rates and good discounts on meals.

• Like 1

You could also look at the NAPOLEON ON KENT.

Studio apartments around $180 p/n, or a 1 bedroom apartment for around $220 p/n.

The 1 bedrooms have a functional kitchen.

There is a good pub across the road for meals as well, called the Sussex Hotel.

We found them excellent when we stayed pre-cruise there a couple of times.

You can walk the Rocks area and the Barangaroo sea front area.

7 hours ago, Steve H said:

Thanks for the reply’s. We have booked the Adina Apartment Hotel Darling Harbour, and the Lord Nelson. 

Good choice.

The adina is just near Wynyard train station and a supermarket. Also a ferry wharf just steps away. Pretty touristy lots of restaurants and not far to the lord Nelson if you want to revisit it for a beer.

On 6/7/2022 at 12:57 AM, Steve H said:

We have noticed Princess have a deal with Four Seasons and the Hyatt that includes transfers etc so are looking into that atm with our travel agent. Although the first night is a bit pricey , the cheaper second night plus transfers would actually make it reasonable for us.

Screenshot_20220613-131447_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220613-131415_Chrome.jpg

8 hours ago, Eddnar said:

We have noticed Princess have a deal with Four Seasons and the Hyatt that includes transfers etc so are looking into that atm with our travel agent. Although the first night is a bit pricey , the cheaper second night plus transfers would actually make it reasonable for us.

Screenshot_20220613-131447_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20220613-131415_Chrome.jpg

Four Seasons is a very nice hotel, and the transfer from the airport would make it easy. I would be curious what sort of transfer they do from the hotel to the pier though, as it is barely a 400 metre (yard) walk along a level concrete walkway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Better off booking your precruise and post cruise hotels yourself direct with hotel or one of the big hotel booking sites. Princess hotels are a bit over the top in pricing. Likewise transfers, hotels like 4 seasons would probably transfer you for no charge, most good hotels have a van or small bus.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Better off booking your precruise and post cruise hotels yourself direct with hotel or one of the big hotel booking sites. Princess hotels are a bit over the top in pricing. Likewise transfers, hotels like 4 seasons would probably transfer you for no charge, most good hotels have a van or small bus.

Even presuming $US prices above, the prices for Four Seasons are really competitive to what I can book myself. The proviso in that though, is the above prices might still need taxes added, where we see an inclusive price.

No free shuttle for the Four Seasons. They have their own anymore, so it would be a generic Sydney hotel shuttle for whatever the going rate is.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:49 AM, arxcards said:

Four Seasons is a very nice hotel, and the transfer from the airport would make it easy. I would be curious what sort of transfer they do from the hotel to the pier though, as it is barely a 400 metre (yard) walk along a level concrete walkway.

My thoughts as well. Perhaps the bell boy pushes the luggage cart down the road. :-)

• Haha 1