Favorite/Least favorite WJ buffet items?

13 minutes ago, joeyancho said:

I find the curries/Indian food has the right amount of spice to make it interesting.   I enjoy all the Indian offerings.  On the Oasis they have homemade Naan,  which was yummy.  IMHO the Oasis has the best buffet in the fleet.

Odyssey is impressive. I understand Wonder is the new king of the buffets

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Enchantment used to do that poolside when she was in PC. Huge pan.

Yes!  I've had Paella poolside, although I don't remember if it was Royal or Celebrity.  Regardless, I just love Paella!!!😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

Worst: grits i thinks its called that. Like porridge just awful 

From a Southerner:  Did you eat them plain?  You have to add butter and salt -- throw in a bit of bacon or country ham, and you're in heaven.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, baelor said:

Other than the doggy bag, I approve!  Shrimp is delicious and also more expensive than many other foods at the buffet.  At nice buffets, I often go through plates and plates of crab legs.

Shrimp is one of my favorite foods of all times.  

Does the WIndjammer ever serve crab legs?  My husband would be thrilled -- me, I'd eat the shrimp! 

Favorites:  

- I don't think this is a big favorite for many people, but my youngest daughter and I love the miso soup for breakfast.  You'll find it in the Asian section, and you can add goodies of your choice to it.  Nice and filling and low calorie.  

- Eggs Benedict.  

- The Tutti Salad -- okay, that's maybe in the way back machine.  Entree salads tend to be pretty good too.  

- Yakitori Chicken (Japanese) -- we loved it so much that we asked for the recipe, and we still eat it. 

- Most fish dishes.  

- Thanksgiving dinner on Mariner was excellent.  

- My husband would say Escargot.  

Least favorites: 

- Overly whipped desserts that taste like nothing.  They seem to do a lot of these -- maybe because it stretches the ingredients?  

- Pancakes and French toast that've been sitting out in the Windjammer.  If you want this kind of breakfast, go to the MDR. 

- Pizza.  Kinda like good quality frozen pizza.  Yeah, I eat it at home, but on a cruise I expect better.  

- Basic steak in the MDR.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

From a Southerner:  Did you eat them plain?  You have to add butter and salt -- throw in a bit of bacon or country ham, and you're in heaven.

I'm a Southerner - born and raised in Alabama.  I hate grits.  They are quite possibly the nastiest food ever.  No, I take that back - they aren't food.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, stinkyenglishteacher said:

Welcome to cruising- best vacation there is. 

Thanks; we are looking forward to it!  I think it will be a nice change of pace from all-inclusives.  But I also like more culture/history-based trips where I go somewhere and stay for a week (or a month).

• Like 1

This is going to sound weird, but here it goes:

1.) Least favorite: FISH! I'm not a fish person (I only like shrimp, scallops, and haddock) AT ALL! If it's staring back at me, I'm not eating it!

2.) Favorite: To my niece's dismay, PINEAPPLE! We always get the canned kind here, which isn't bad, but I prefer the fresh pineapple.

3 minutes ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

2.) Favorite: To my niece's dismay, PINEAPPLE! We always get the canned kind here, which isn't bad, but I prefer the fresh pineapple

Is that by choice or by necessity because local stores don’t sell fresh pineapple?  Glad you can get it on board!

10 hours ago, kelbell said:

Fav, bread pudding with vanilla sauce, least anything spicy.

And why is it so hard to get...or they want to add some other flavor to it.

On our recent Explorer I asked about bread pudding and they said it was sometimes served at "breakfast"...breakfast...really !!!!!

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Embarkation Day Lunch March 4, 2022

image.png.09766adb857563a2cbe7810a98036d47.png

Shrimp and Cold Lobster

image.png.24751685b2ca4040b48983d3618956b7.png

Clams, Mussels, Lobster, Ceviche, Poke 

image.png.ba6f17cfab7d3a928389cd58d029f7fa.png

Surf and Turf (Filet and Hot Lobster)

image.png.d4c27cfa16bf3d4ad059574fc6049010.png

Lobster tails...in the WJ...Well I have never seen this and I look every cruise.

11 hours ago, BND said:

I prefer "dry" eggs.  I cannot eat wet or runny eggs.  

Yeah...those containers of scrambled eggs. I just want to schoosh all the extra water out of them. Big pass for me. There's so much other stuff to eat that I can go a few days without eggs for breakfast. I don't eat them at home so I'm not missing out on much.

Actually, the worst "scrambled" eggs we ever had was on HAL. Even my husband who can eat just about anything could not choke them down. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ashland said:

Lobster tails...in the WJ...Well I have never seen this and I look every cruise.

I’ve never seen a spread like in that picture but once, and only once, I had lobster in the WJ. Not sure if there were too many left over from the MDR and they needed to get rid of them or what, but they had hot tails, sliced in half length-wise, that they kept bringing out in trays as part of a seafood night the night after 2nd formal night. Can’t remember how many half-tails I had but it was a lot.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, baelor said:

Thanks; we are looking forward to it!  I think it will be a nice change of pace from all-inclusives.  But I also like more culture/history-based trips where I go somewhere and stay for a week (or a month).

I like both, but we find cruising fits our family lifestyle better right now. My husband travels 90% of the time, so he loves cruises where he can genuinely unplug and relax. 

I don’t know if you’ve seen all the port of call boards; many places have lots of safe excursion options that aren’t tied to the cruise ship. That may give you a *little* more balance those two vacation options! 

Oh, and to steer things back on course: I don’t care if the mashed potatoes are instant or not. They add unicorn dust or something, because those suckers are GOOD. 🤣