The Daily for Sunday 06/12/2022

richwmn

4 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@Sharon in AZ Sharon, thank you for the information about the yacht rescue.  I was wondering if the passengers were allowed to ask their questions during Ask The Captain, or did they have to submit written questions before hand with the Cruise Director reading the questions during the event.  Last fall on Koningsdam, the audience told one of the Entertainment Team their question, which she then asked the Captain.  This spring, the CD read the written questions, and we thought he edited out the unusual questions which always make the Ask The Captain interesting.  Instead, it turned into a rather dull session with tame, predictable questions.

Passengers asked their own questions. Two Crew members walked around and then waited turns with questions. It wasn’t dull. However, I’m still irritated that I missed the first half because this Captain is so fun and entertaining and interesting. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

1 minute ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Passengers asked their own questions. Two Crew members walked around and then waited turns with questions. It wasn’t dull. However, I’m still irritated that I missed the first half because this Captain is so fun and entertaining and interesting. 

Thanks for the answer.  It is always more interesting when the questions are "live".  I always like it when someone asks a question that throws the Captain a curve.

Lenda

• Like 14

Our flights from San Diego-JFK- Lisbon on 6/10 - 6/11/22 were uneventful. Sold out flight from JFK to Lisbon. Landed at 8:00 Lisbon time, stood in line for immigration until 10:19. Passport stamping and glance at my face took < one second. Not the best way to be welcomed to beautiful Portugal. Grrr. Perhaps the immigration department has a staff shortage!? Pleased that we have a few days to adjust to a new time zone, enjoy the beauty (and heat, 91 F today!) of Lisbon before boarding Oceania Insignia on 6/14/22. So happy to be traveling, prayers for so many Daily-ites, thanks for the updates, news and pictures. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to on Friday, because when I got back from the grocery, an uproar with my digestion started and I was hors d'combat for the rest of the day. On Saturday it was calmer but I was exhausted. So I've just stopped mowing -- not finished, but the mower is out of charge and by the time the battery recharges it will probably be raining. The faucet has mysteriously stopped dripping, but I wouldn't work on it on the weekend anyway, in case it turns out to require a plumber.

I should be thinking about excursions for a Denmark-Norway cruise at the end of the summer but instead I'm thinking about New Orleans hotels for the end of January, before and after a western Caribbean cruise.

254665977_Robertcat.thumb.gif.0864583a8e71c32efe6c88dd8195fe7d.gif

• Like 19
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Norseh2o said:

Not the best way to be welcomed to beautiful Portugal.

Hey, it's better than what I've experienced at the London airports, where Her Majesty's inspectors of immigration and customs try to talk me out of staying. "Why would you want to come here, with the terrible weather and the strikes?" was one example.

• Like 9
  • Haha 13

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. 🥳 for all BHB's back in service!

A salute to children, Little League girls baseball and magic!

Can't agree with the quote.

I'll pass on the meal, drink and wine. I haven't been to Longyearbyen. Thanks for the pictures.

It's raining alternating with sunshine today. I did a little yard cleanup earlier, before the first rain shower.

@grapau27 Thank you for Father David's timely sermon.

@kazu Thinking of you.

@Heartgrove Continued prayers for your family during this difficult time.

@marshhawk Happy Birthday to DH!

@Sharon in AZ Congrats to Craig on 4*. Sorry he's still coughing and fatigued.

@Lady Hudson Fingers crossed your traveling companion tests negative!

@Norseh2o Enjoy Portugal and your cruise!

Prayers for the Care List and Ukraine. Cheers for the Celebration List.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

6 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Didn't we have Children's Day just a short time ago?  I played girls softball when I was a child and enjoyed it even though I wasn't very good.  Magic is fun to watch and try to figure out how it's done.

Well we just woke up a bunch of the neighbours.  DH's SUV started honking like crazy even though there wasn't anyone around it.  Although we both got out there as quickly as we could, many of the neighbours came out to see if it was their vehicle making all the noise.  Great apologies to all.  LOL  I think there's something wrong with the wiring, as he had replaced the batteries in the remote start just a few weeks ago.  That'll likely be expensive.  

@marshhawkHappy Birthday to your DH!

@Heartgrovethoughts for you, and prayers for your sister's peaceful passing, and for your brother's comfort.

Not a lot going on here today, just making sure the plants all have enough water (even with the rain, some are in protected areas and don't get wet), and enjoying the warm weather.  I think DH has plans of filling the propane tank for the BBQ and that's about all.  Oh, a bit of success - I've been able to make 2 cute little angel wings out of yarn, but haven't mastered  the technique using crochet cotton.  It seems the yarn is a lot more forgiving of mistakes.  

We bought some pork loins on sale the other day, so I cut them in large chunks to put in the freezer.  Today one is coming out and will be cut up into chops that DH will cook on the BBQ along with a coffee/apricot glaze and we'll have them with corn on the cob and salad for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra for the people of Ukraine and for the families of the victims of gun violence.  We

will raise the glasses to celebrate all on the happy list, especially the return of the Westerdam to service!  Stay safe, get your boosters, wear masks when you need to, and be well.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

That glaze sounds delicious...would you mind sharing your recipe? 

• Like 16

Happy Sunday!  We went to church, afterwards there was a reception for our assistant pastor who is leaving to go to her first church as their one and only minister!  

I am happy to see all of the HAL ships in service!  Best wishes to all!

• Like 21

Good afternoon, and thanks, everyone, for the Sunday Daily News!  A big day today!  I emailed DD to tell her that it was Father's Day, and she raced out and bought him two bottles of wine, and then I read the Daily, and it didn't say Father's Day, so I googled it and it isn't until next week...  oh, well.  The wine won't go bad if he waits a week.

I have been doing some experimenting - I find the "multi-quotes" rather confusing, and my memory isn't good enough to be able to write down all the comments I want to make after the fact, so I tried clipping some remarks to cut and paste into my post.  So here goes:

HURRAY, all the HAL ships are now in service!  That's something to celebrate!

@Heartgrovethoughts for you, and prayers for your sister's peaceful passing, and for your brother's comfort.
   @grapau  Thanks for the sermon from Father David.
@marshhawk  Ann, I hope you and DH enjoy his birthday lunch with friends and the play tonight.

So two of the three names did show up in blue!  I wonder why Graham was left out?  

We went to church today, and our pastor said he had been exposed to Covid last week at the diocesan retreat, so he kept his distance and did not distribute Communion.  He is pastor/administrator of two parishes now, and said he has just been appointed vicar general of the diocese.  What a lot of work for one man.  I had to ask Mr. Google about vicar general, too, I thought the position had something to do with a religious order, but no!

A vicar general is appointed by the bishop as the highest administrative officer of the diocese, with most of the powers of the bishop

Thanks for the pictures of the frozen North!  I guess the polar bears keep the populations of birds and wildlife down.  Not like the Southern polar area!  Can you imagine what a polar bear would make of this smorgasbord?

P1010080.thumb.JPG.eb25e4d5eb3f93006843375ec77274c8.JPG

P1010064.thumb.JPG.0a0ee5020ba951493df29836b0911b18.JPG

P1020988.thumb.JPG.2dccde5e0184a1f1984b2acda42fdf8e.JPG

P1030062.thumb.JPG.608233486f4fb49250777cb5b89bdb2a.JPG

• Like 25
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Norseh2o said:

Our flights from San Diego-JFK- Lisbon on 6/10 - 6/11/22 were uneventful. Sold out flight from JFK to Lisbon. Landed at 8:00 Lisbon time, stood in line for immigration until 10:19. Passport stamping and glance at my face took < one second. Not the best way to be welcomed to beautiful Portugal. Grrr. Perhaps the immigration department has a staff shortage!? Pleased that we have a few days to adjust to a new time zone, enjoy the beauty (and heat, 91 F today!) of Lisbon before boarding Oceania Insignia on 6/14/22. So happy to be traveling, prayers for so many Daily-ites, thanks for the updates, news and pictures. 

Best wishes for an awesome cruise.

Graham.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon, and thanks, everyone, for the Sunday Daily News!  A big day today!  I emailed DD to tell her that it was Father's Day, and she raced out and bought him two bottles of wine, and then I read the Daily, and it didn't say Father's Day, so I googled it and it isn't until next week...  oh, well.  The wine won't go bad if he waits a week.

I have been doing some experimenting - I find the "multi-quotes" rather confusing, and my memory isn't good enough to be able to write down all the comments I want to make after the fact, so I tried clipping some remarks to cut and paste into my post.  So here goes:

HURRAY, all the HAL ships are now in service!  That's something to celebrate!

@grapau  Thanks for the sermon from Father David.
@marshhawk  Ann, I hope you and DH enjoy his birthday lunch with friends and the play tonight.

So two of the three names did show up in blue!  I wonder why Graham was left out?  

We went to church today, and our pastor said he had been exposed to Covid last week at the diocesan retreat, so he kept his distance and did not distribute Communion.  He is pastor/administrator of two parishes now, and said he has just been appointed vicar general of the diocese.  What a lot of work for one man.  I had to ask Mr. Google about vicar general, too, I thought the position had something to do with a religious order, but no!

A vicar general is appointed by the bishop as the highest administrative officer of the diocese, with most of the powers of the bishop

Thanks for the pictures of the frozen North!  I guess the polar bears keep the populations of birds and wildlife down.  Not like the Southern polar area!  Can you imagine what a polar bear would make of this smorgasbord?

P1010080.thumb.JPG.eb25e4d5eb3f93006843375ec77274c8.JPG

P1010064.thumb.JPG.0a0ee5020ba951493df29836b0911b18.JPG

P1020988.thumb.JPG.2dccde5e0184a1f1984b2acda42fdf8e.JPG

P1030062.thumb.JPG.608233486f4fb49250777cb5b89bdb2a.JPG

Hi Ann.

I think you missed the 27 out.

Gra------ Graham.

Pau------Pauline.

27 my birthdate.

Nice pictures.

Graham.

Grapau27.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Hi Ann.

I think you missed the 27 out.

Gra------ Graham.

Pau------Pauline.

27 my birthdate.

Nice pictures.

Graham.

Grapau27.

Right - I cut and pasted from other comments on this thread.  I should have noticed the 27 was missing!  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, JAM37 said:

That glaze sounds delicious...would you mind sharing your recipe? 

It's super simple;  1/2 cup each of brewed coffee and apricot jam,  1/4 cup ketchup, 1 Tbsp each of grated onion, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and sugar.  Combine all in a saucepan and simmer together for 10 minutes.  If it's too thin, thicken with a bit of cornstarch and water before using to baste pork chops or chicken pieces.    BTW, you can also use peach jam - yummy!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 4

Good evening.  I really planned to post this morning and again it never happened.

i like the days.  Children’s day, Little League Girls Day, Magic Day—all to be celebrated.

I am finally got the TV to stream our Mass without constant buffering.  it only took a few weeks and a number of phone calls to our ISP.  

I am doing better with the increased Prednisone dosage.  Beginning next Sunday I start to wean off again and hope that the pains don’t start again.  Hopefully this increased dosage will lower the inflammation level and I will be able to feel well with the lower dosage.

It is so hot here.  Over 90 degrees.  We just stayed inside and watched a movie

DH and I are looking for a Baltic Cruise for next summer.  I hope we will be able to do it.  DH is really excited about it.  Will call the TA tomorrow to put a deposit down.

Thank you for all the great photos of the destination.

Prayers for all that need them.  @Heartgrovespecial prayers for your sister and brother and your family and you go through this difficult time.  

Hope everyone had a good day.

God Bless,

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

172f4d82e9c0703f5795233386c91903.jpg

By the way, the play was top notch.  Kenny Leon directed it, the stars were from Broadway, the language was, well a bit vulgar, but if you remember the Movie Trading Places, the Musical was even funnier, a few changes to the characters, the Eddie Murphy character was a black woman, and the Jamie Lee Curtis Prostitute character was a drag queen.  Very funny.  Great music, and the lead COULD sing, and an up point for this as a musical, there were stand alone songs, which most new musicals don't have.  To me a stand alone song is, regardless of the musical story line, you could walk out and sing that song and it stands on it's own.  No explanation needed.  A good song!  Well all were good, but some i wouldn't have sung in front of my parents.

Edited by marshhawk
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

@Sharon in AZI must have missed it -- what is the reason given for no sea day lunches in the MDR and Pinnacle Grill?  I love the PG lunches and would be very disappointed.

Carolyn, no reason was given, however my thoughts are twofold. Originally I thought it was due to the low number of passengers. I never heard an actual passenger count, I was told 1200 from a server and another guest, but it feels like less than that, more like half full. Then, after we took on the new crew members while in the Bay of Kotor, I found out that they were kitchen crew.  So I wonder if they just didn’t have the staff to have PG & MDR lunch.  One or both or neither could be the reason, just my speculation. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Good morning from Trieste!  Passengers started disembarking at 6:00 am. This looks like a great place to visit, just gorgeous. 

D475E146-D484-460F-AA87-A03F1FF98463.thumb.jpeg.9b28273c975558fb62b64831f350d69f.jpeg

Our disembarkation time is 8:40 am to our bus to Tronchetto, from there we hope to water taxi to our hotel. We are hoping that they aren’t too busy. 

I will check in later from Venice!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Carolyn, no reason was given, however my thoughts are twofold. Originally I thought it was due to the low number of passengers. I never heard an actual passenger count, I was told 1200 from a server and another guest, but it feels like less than that, more like half full. Then, after we took on the new crew members while in the Bay of Kotor, I found out that they were kitchen crew.  So I wonder if they just didn’t have the staff to have PG & MDR lunch.  One or both or neither could be the reason, just my speculation. 

Thank you Sharon 🙂  It sounds like it's ship/cruise dependent, and your theories are valid.  Last fall our cruise on the NS was less than half full but they did have sea day lunch in the MDR and PG -- and I sure hope they will on the NS this fall. 🙂  Thanks for your response!

• Like 1