Princess and covid cases

floridababa

If you are overly worried about the consequences of catching Covid my advice would be to give a cruising a miss (as some people still are). 

We need to be honest here and admit that a cruise ship is probably the worst place to be for any kind of virus or bug that's surface or air transmittable.

We're now in that grey area where catching the virus is considered part of life but cruise companies are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Guess what? I cruised on Emerald a few weeks ago, had a great cruise, got in crowded lifts and tenders, and didn't catch Covid. No news there. 

My story was similar with the Majestic, except I didn't use the elevators at all.

It's not important that our stories are heard; they should be assumed.  But it is important that the exceptions be noted, IMHO.

• Like 2

I wonder what the positivity rate for the pre-cruise, during cruise, and post cruise covid test is?

Locally, our positivity rate is running around 12 percent and there has been only 1 ICU case in the last five weeks.

The vaccines and therapeutics are doing their job and the covid virus is mutating into a more easily spread and less serious form - much like the seasonal flu.

30-50 Americans die every year from the flu, but the medit doesn't sensationalize it because we have learned to live with it as we will with covid.

54 minutes ago, dog said:

Nice to hear you did well.

7 bus loads off a Princess ship recently did not. they are in quarantine near London airport due to testing positive for Covid.

Not funny.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

30-50 Americans die every year from the flu, but the medit doesn't sensationalize it because we have learned to live with it as we will with covid.

Wouldn't it be higher than that?  Australia with about a tenth of your population had 800 flu deaths in 2019.

Edited by leck57

1 hour ago, dog said:

Nice to hear you did well.

7 bus loads off a Princess ship recently did not. they are in quarantine near London airport due to testing positive for Covid.

Can you clarify? There's no quarantine in the UK, are these folk who've tested positive prior to return to US / Canada and are simply staying at hotels until they test negative so they can return home. 

Edited by doog442

18 minutes ago, doog442 said:

Can you clarify? There's no quarantine in the UK, are these folk who've tested positive prior to return to US / Canada and are simply staying at hotels until they test negative so they can return home. 

Dockman post 85 on Emerald thread. He was on that sailing that had 7 bus loads in Southampton going to quarantine.

8 minutes ago, dog said:

Dockman post 85 on Emerald thread. He was on that sailing that had 7 bus loads in Southampton going to quarantine.

Was that prior to the US dropping their negative COVID test to fly? If so, does that mean that now those 7 bus loads would just get on the flight home, with or without COVID?

If your local supermarket tested every customer at the checkout counters and reported that 75 people tested positive in a week's testing, does that mean 75 people caught Covid in the canned food aisle?  Or, does it mean 75 people caught Covid somewhere else and brought it into the market?  When you have a venue that is conducting testing you are likely to find higher numbers of positives cases than what you see in the general population.

Not everybody who tests positive somewhere means they contracted Covid at the testing location.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, villauk said:

Was that prior to the US dropping their negative COVID test to fly? If so, does that mean that now those 7 bus loads would just get on the flight home, with or without COVID?

Do you think they will quarantine?  Who’s going to pay for it?  Will Princess? Will insurance cover it?  So many variables.

40 minutes ago, villauk said:

Very good question. Knowing that Princess covers a post-cruise isolation hotel and new flight home is the safety net I'd want to give me the confidence to not infect others, regardless of any government dropping their negative COVID test to fly. This happened to friends who sailed with Celebrity this winter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

I wonder what the positivity rate for the pre-cruise, during cruise, and post cruise covid test is?

Locally, our positivity rate is running around 12 percent and there has been only 1 ICU case in the last five weeks.

The vaccines and therapeutics are doing their job and the covid virus is mutating into a more easily spread and less serious form - much like the seasonal flu.

keep in mind that positivity rate is not by any means the same as incidence rate.  After all positivity is based on the set of people that has a reason to test (symptoms, close contacts, etc).  You can have an incidence rate well below 1% and have a test positivity rate of 12%.

Edited by ldtr

55 minutes ago, villauk said:

On the Emerald British isles thread  I have asked dockman who posted this.

since US just lifted testing it was prior to today.

12 minutes ago, dog said:

On the Emerald British isles thread  I have asked dockman who posted this.

since US just lifted testing it was prior to today.

Right.  So can those in quarantine or isolation now in the UK just rebook and fly home now, covid positive?

8 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Right.  So can those in quarantine or isolation now in the UK just rebook and fly home now, covid positive?

I don’t know.

however if Princess is expected to help with arrangements & reimburse them they have to follow their rules.

Hope positive people do not get on planes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If your local supermarket tested every customer at the checkout counters and reported that 75 people tested positive in a week's testing, does that mean 75 people caught Covid in the canned food aisle?  Or, does it mean 75 people caught Covid somewhere else and brought it into the market?  When you have a venue that is conducting testing you are likely to find higher numbers of positives cases than what you see in the general population.

Not everybody who tests positive somewhere means they contracted Covid at the testing location.

Not the best analogy ever unless people are staying days and days and days and days at that local supermarket.

• Like 4

In the current situation everyone onboard Emerald is at the moment with reimposing of mask wearing due to increase in COVID it proves that proving negative by test prior to embarkation is a pointless exercise. The only worrying thing is if majority are prepared to take the risk of catching COVID as it is supposedly only like flu symptoms why does Princess insist on isolating everyone with COVID in cabins and ruining their holiday.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Daniel A said:

People just don't jump on CC or other forms of social media to report that nothing happened to them.  This is not to minimize what has happened to those who got Covid, but it does seem that the very vocal minority is making the issue appear to be worse than it is.  If things were really, really bad and out of control, there would be any number of ships coded red by the CDC.

a lot of people are testing positive AFTER the cruise, so, of course, it will not make the ship code a different color.

We developed symptoms and tested positive a day after the cruise (RCI, ended June 5th). So did other people from my cruise.

Other people on the RCI board are proudly saying that they have refused staff members' requests to get tested, after their child tested positive on the cruise (the test for unvaxxed kids before coming back to the US).  The rest of the family also refused to quarantine (the positive child was quarantined).

One can't code a ship red if cruisers don't report symptoms and refuse to test or quarantine.

8 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

a lot of people are testing positive AFTER the cruise, so, of course, it will not make the ship code a different color.

We developed symptoms and tested positive a day after the cruise (RCI, ended June 5th). So did other people from my cruise.

Other people on the RCI board are proudly saying that they have refused staff members' requests to get tested, after their child tested positive on the cruise (the test for unvaxxed kids before coming back to the US).  The rest of the family also refused to quarantine (the positive child was quarantined).

One can't code a ship red if cruisers don't report symptoms and refuse to test or quarantine.

The 'numbers' aren't the only thing required  to code a ship Red. It is unlikely any ships will be Red unless varients start making people sicker.  Also, ships like the Emerald aren't sailing from the US, so aren't included in the CDC realm.

This is what maks a ship Red:

More than 0.3% of total passengers and/or crew plus

• Sustained transmission,
  • Multiple factors that overwhelm onboard medical and/or public health resources, or
  • Variants of concern are identified among on board cases.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html#faq-1

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

But when people are on a cruise with 4-5 sea days and they get covid on day 5 and beyond, where could they have gotten it if the incubation period is 2-4 days(with omicron)?  Being in the grocery store, a restaurant or places like that are no comparison to being on a ship for days on end.

I do agree that we can't really say where people got it most times, but on a ship there is no other place if there have only been sea days.  And the most cases have been on ships with many sea days (Hawaii, TA, etc)  *sidenote* there are probably as many cases on shorter cruises but passengers are already off the ship when they get sick. Just my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

First of all, I'm sorry you tested positive and I wish you all a speedy recovery. 🙏

On the other paragraph that I quoted, I have a couple of thoughts.  I guess all suggestions to test are really just suggestions after all.  What's the penalty for continuing to refuse?  Keelhauling, walking the plank, and being thrown overboard are quite illegal. 🙃  Cutting off their sail & sign privileges would probably help the passenger's account more than it would hurt.  And this isn't a society that sneaks nasal samples in the middle of the night.  I guess I'm glad that the vast majority of people, if flagged as a close contact, don't refuse reasonable requests like this.

Also, I hope that at least one of the parents or guardians isolated with the child, assuming he/she is under 18.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

32 minutes ago, Level six said:

But when people are on a cruise with 4-5 sea days and they get covid on day 5 and beyond, where could they have gotten it if the incubation period is 2-4 days(with omicron)?  Being in the grocery store, a restaurant or places like that are no comparison to being on a ship for days on end.

I do agree that we can't really say where people got it most times, but on a ship there is no other place if there have only been sea days.  And the most cases have been on ships with many sea days (Hawaii, TA, etc)  *sidenote* there are probably as many cases on shorter cruises but passengers are already off the ship when they get sick. Just my opinion.

And if there have been 4 or 5 sea days then someone must have had it before they got on the ship (and tested negative on their 3-day prior pre-test) or at a port stop before those days as you can’t catch COVID from just being on a ship. It will have been brought on by someone initially, and it’s quite possible that they don’t know they’ve got it if they are asymptomatic.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villauk said:

And if there have been 4 or 5 sea days then someone must have had it before they got on the ship (and tested negative on their 3-day prior pre-test) or at a port stop before those days as you can’t catch COVID from just being on a ship. It will have been brought on by someone initially, and it’s quite possible that they don’t know they’ve got it if they are asymptomatic.

Agree that someone brought it onboard.  I never said you can get covid just being on a ship, only if someone you are in contact with on the ship has covid.  I also stated if there had been no ports, only sea days.  Reread my post. 

Edited by Level six
  • Like 1