What are your thoughts on the RC app while on a cruise?

On 6/15/2022 at 12:56 PM, 2chiefs said:

Just out of curiosity, can you get the printed Compass and compare it to the app and let us know what you find??

We were just on the Mariner and got the printed Compass every day and found out that the printed compass was updated and different from the app for the daily activities. The Compass was accurate, and the app was not. I did like the app for checking menus and the account activity otherwise we didn't trust it.

The stateroom steward will get you a part copy if you ask them.

The app was updated continuously.

1 hour ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

The stateroom steward will get you a part copy if you ask them.

The app was updated continuously.

This was not the case on our Mariner Cruise a few weeks ago. The app account info was updated continuously but the scheduled events were not. The printed cruise compass was more accurate. It seems as with everything else with RCI, it varies from ship to ship. I would recommend you look at both the printed Compass and the app till some point in the future that you feel comfortable with the app.

1 minute ago, 2chiefs said:

This was not the case on our Mariner Cruise a few weeks ago. The app account info was updated continuously but the scheduled events were not. The printed cruise compass was more accurate. It seems as with everything else with RCI, it varies from ship to ship. I would recommend you look at both the printed Compass and the app till some point in the future that you feel comfortable with the app.

Good reasoning.

We must have lucky on Navigator.

But it really was first class always being updated,

No idea as to who was keeping it updated I should have asked.

Just now, Norwich Cruiser said:

Good reasoning.

We must have lucky on Navigator.

But it really was first class always being updated,

No idea as to who was keeping it updated I should have asked.

I liked that the account info was updated almost instantaneously. Never had any mistakes which would have caused us to visit Guest Services. This is really unusual as it seems we always had to visit Guest Services. Hope this is a sign of the future......

The only time I used the app on our March Explorer cruise was to check out our onboard account for OBC balance. Don't want any surprises at the end of the cruise that I could have had fixed at that time.

Edited by davekathy

Only used it to upload vax card and to check nightly events. Never use it for reservations or checking onboard account. I do carry my phone for work so the app does come in handy.

Was also on Mariner just a few weeks ago (Bahamas then Bermuda cruise).  We had to leave Bermuda early to avoid the tropical storm...

The App was updated decently when our itinerary had to change.  As we were sailing into bad weather, the CD staff had to plan new events as the outdoor decks where closed.  It was then that it clicked (that I should have known earlier) - the events on the app are controlled by the on-board staff.  They are the ones that need to update it.  

Also, knowing Royal's IT department to take an educated guess - I think that the printed Compass and the Royal App are not populated by the same database.  My guess is that someone on board has to manually enter the events into two locations to print the compass / update the app.

Our cruise had a pretty well updated schedule in the App, but it is true that you need to hit the update button inside the app to get the most current activities.

Edited by Rewind

I HATED using the RCCL app on Mariner last week.  Our family of 11 had seven adults using the chat feature and the notifications were hit or miss.  (Mostly non-existent.) Scanning the dining room QR codes often times did not open up to the correct menus, and the price listed on the app was incorrect for Johnny Rockets.   We did try to use the app for the events calendars, but none of us were fans of the layouts or the functionality.

14 hours ago, davekathy said:

The only time I used the app on our March Explorer cruise was to check out our onboard account for OBC balance. Don't want any surprises at the end of the cruise that I could have had fixed at that time.

I liked checking the menu.  😉 

I'm not a fan for a few reasons:

1.) Not everyone who has a smartphone has the app

2.) Not everyone who has the app knows how to navigate it

3.) Not all activities are listed. This is a HUGE DEAL to this Activity Director! If I miss putting an Activity on my Daily Annoucement that goes out to my residents, they're down my throat!

4.) Even if you make reservations, they're not always honored. I made reservations for "Spectra's Caberet" as instructed on Anthem, showed up to the lounge as instructed and was turned away until about 5 min. before the show. I even had the app open to the event thank they still wouldn't let me sit!

15 hours ago, Big_G said:

Only used it to upload vax card and to check nightly events. Never use it for reservations or checking onboard account. I do carry my phone for work so the app does come in handy.

We could not do this on Liberty in March. The app always seemed to be missing events or showed them happening at the wrong time. 

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

I'm not a fan for a few reasons:

1.) Not everyone who has a smartphone has the app

2.) Not everyone who has the app knows how to navigate it

3.) Not all activities are listed. This is a HUGE DEAL to this Activity Director! If I miss putting an Activity on my Daily Annoucement that goes out to my residents, they're down my throat!

4.) Even if you make reservations, they're not always honored. I made reservations for "Spectra's Caberet" as instructed on Anthem, showed up to the lounge as instructed and was turned away until about 5 min. before the show. I even had the app open to the event thank they still wouldn't let me sit!

We had this problem also. We made reservations for four for the ice show, the only event on Liberty that required reservations. When we got there, they told us our reservation was only for two. We showed them on our app that the reservation was for four. Their answer was "nope, you'll have to wait. If there ends up being enough seats, all four of you can go in". 

12 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

We had this problem also. We made reservations for four for the ice show, the only event on Liberty that required reservations. When we got there, they told us our reservation was only for two. We showed them on our app that the reservation was for four. Their answer was "nope, you'll have to wait. If there ends up being enough seats, all four of you can go in". 

We had another situation on Anthem too with reservations.  We reserved four spots on "The North Star" one day while in Port Canaveral.  We had been there several times so decided to stay on the ship.  We got up early and made the reservations for 4PM.  We were almost bumped off because a group who missed their appointment time tried to get the staff to bump us off so they could go on.  Luckily, the staff said "Ummm...no sorry, they were here first, made reservations properly (which the other party didn't), and have been waiting patiently.  Why should we take you over them?"  I had my app open and ready if needed.  Because of that debacle, we almost missed our appointment time too.