MSC Seashore Jun 18 to July 2 ramblings

frank808

Hi there everyone. As title says, I will be rambling on our Seashore cruise foe the next 2 weeks.

Some background. It is myself, DW, DS and wife's mom. We are from Hawaii and flew East last week with a 6 night stop to visit the mouse house.

No problems and left Anaheim for our early morning flight to get into Miami on Friday evening. Made it to LAX with much time to spare. Rather uneventful flight, until we had to sit on the tarmac at EWR for almost 90 minutes waiting for gate to open. Obviously missed our connection to Miami. Scrambled to customer service counter to get rebooted. Checked and Sai we can standby on another flight. So we took that. Of course that flight eventually got cancelled. Back to United counter and got confirmed seats for the first flight to MIA Saturday morning. Now to get lodging for 6 hours which United graciously offered. Took hotel shuttle to hotel and got our rooms and confirmed first shuttle to EWR for 5am. Woke up at 430am to a text message from United that the first morning flight was cancelled due to flight crew timing out . That can happen but how ca. The first flight of that morning to MIA have a timed out flight crew?

Make matters worse went to lobby and was informed that shuttle does not leave at 5am but 10am. Front desk offered those of us in lobby to call and order a taxi for us.  We said sure since it would be quicker than waiting for Uber. Wait 15 minutes and instead of 3 taxis arriving just one arrived so I called for an Uber instead. Now all this time on hold with United trying to get a flight for us to MIA.

Uber gets there and we hop in. During the drive phone agent informs me there is no open seat to MIA from EWR at all and we can get in on Sunday instead. Not acceptable for me. So Uber dropped us off and son and I ran to customer service counter(thank god for TSA pre check and Clear membership). While wife got her mom through the regular security. Tom at the service counter was awesome and got us 2 confirmed seats to west palm beach and the other 2 on standby. At the airside gate, since we only had 2 confirmed seats,, gave wife here passport, cruise docs, negative tests and GPS system to make the drive south to cruise port with her mom so they could at least do the cruise. Told her I made a reservation for a vehicle to drive down to Hertz MIA cruise port location and return the car there. Hertz also provides shuttle to cruise port. Son and I would meet them next week Saturday for the second half if it came down to that.

Well we got lucky and there were 8 no shows and we both got on same flight! Can now start to feel relieved that we will be in PBI by 10am on Saturday. After an uneventful flight we got off and went to lugguage counter to see of our lugguage made it. Of course it did not and after filling out located form was told we would get an update personally from the United rep. Surprised to get a call (as pulling into Walmart parking lot) from same United rep that our luggage will be arriving to MIA Airport at 2:48 pm. United have luggage will sent to cruise dock.

Whirlwind 15 minutes at Walmart to buy clothing, toiletries and a suitcase. Drove the last 20 minutes to Hertz and returned vehicle. Then was informed that the shuttle was not running. Told us to order an Uber and he will rovide credit for the ride. Surprised there was an Uber within a block. Got to cruise port by 1:20pm and having a drink by 1:35 at the poolside grill. 

We have made it so that is great. Only negative is we only have what we had on our backs and what we bought at Walmart to wear for this week.

Will be updating this post when I am able to. 

If you have any Seashore questions, post away and I will try to answer.

If you made it this far, thanks for following along.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, frank808 said:

Hi there everyone. As title says, I will be rambling on our Seashore cruise foe the next 2 weeks.

Some background. It is myself, DW, DS and wife's mom. We are from Hawaii and flew East last week with a 6 night stop to visit the mouse house.

No problems and left Anaheim for our early morning flight to get into Miami on Friday evening. Made it to LAX with much time to spare. Rather uneventful flight, until we had to sit on the tarmac at EWR for almost 90 minutes waiting for gate to open. Obviously missed our connection to Miami. Scrambled to customer service counter to get rebooked. Checked and told us we can standby on another flight, so we took that. Of course that flight eventually gets cancelled. Back to United counter and got confirmed seats for the first flight to MIA next morning (Saturday). Now to get lodging for 6 hours, which United graciously offered. Took hotel shuttle and got our rooms and confirmed for the first shuttle back to EWR for 5am. Woke up at 430am to a text message from United that the our morning flight to MIA was cancelled due to flight crew timing out . That can happen but how can the first flight of that morning to MIA have a timed out flight crew?

To make matters worse, went to lobby and was informed that shuttle does not start until 10am. Front desk offered the people in lobby to order a taxi for all of us.  We said sure, since it would be quicker than waiting for Uber. 15 minutes later and instead of 3 taxis arriving, just one arrived. So I called for an Uber instead. During this whole time, I am on hold with United trying to get rebooked on a flight to MIA.

Uber gets there and we hop in.

During the uber drive to MIA, United phone agent informs me there is no open seat to MIA from EWR at all. Earliest we can get in is on Sunday. That is not acceptable since Seashore would be gone.

Uber dropped us off at EWR curbside. Son and I run to customer service counter(thank god for TSA pre check and Clear membership).

While wige gets hmom and her mom through the regular security line. United agent (Tom) at the service counter was awesome and got us 2 confirmed seats to west palm beach and the other 2 on standby. Run to the gate and gate agent informs us we only have 2 confirmed seats instead of 4.

Gave wife here passport, cruise docs, negative tests and GPS system to make the drive south from PBI to cruise port with her mom so they could at least be on the cruisr.

Informed her I made a reservation for a vehicle to drive down from PBI to MIA cruise port location to return rental car. Hertz on 2nd St. MIAMI provides shuttle to cruise port. Worse comes to worse, they go and son and I would meet them next week Saturday for the second half of our cruise.

Well we got lucky and there were 8 no shows. So son and I both got on the flight! Once in my seat on the flight to PBI can now start to feel relieved that we will there by 10am. After an uneventful flight we got off and went to lugguage counter to see of our lugguage made it. Of course it did not and after filling out location form, was told we would get an update personally from the United rep. Surprised to get a call (as pulling into Walmart parking lot) from same United rep that our luggage will be arriving to MIA Airport at 2:48 pm. United will have luggage sent to cruise dock.

Whirlwind 15 minutes at Walmart to buy clothing, toiletries and a suitcase. Drove the last 20 minutes to Hertz and returned vehicle. Then was informed that the shuttle was not running. Agent told us to order an Uber and he will provide credit for the ride. Surprised there was an Uber within a block. Got to cruise port by 1:20pm and having a drink by 1:35 at the poolside grill. 

We have made it so that is great. Only negative is the only clothing we have is what is on our backs and what we bought at Walmart to wear.

Trying to make it clearer.

7 hours ago, mafig said:

All I can say is "oh, geez."

Things will get better.

How's the ship.  ???  Recognize any faces?  Wasn't there originally supposed to be two grandmas?

Ship is beautiful and only seems half full. I like some of the changes from her sister Seaside. No more mirrors in that hallway that you run into. There is no bowling alley and the bar with the car is gone on Seashore. Love the expanded YC pool deck. Bigger with another whirlpool where the aurea area was located. Can't remember what else there is but that is off the top of my head.

The only crew member that we recognized was Daniel. He was the Seaside pool manager when we were on her. He got promoted and is now a butler for almost 4 years. The great Arthur, is now the restaurant manager on Virtuosa (sailing around Dubai).  

Yes both grandma's where supposed to be on cruise, but one tested positive for covid. She did not know and showed no symptoms. She was sad but was very lucky to be able to get her to my brother in Seattle.

Edited by frank808

9 hours ago, frank808 said:

No problems and left Anaheim for our early morning flight to get into Miami on Friday evening. Made it to LAX with much time to spare. Rather uneventful flight, until we had to sit on the tarmac at EWR for almost 90 minutes waiting for gate to open. Obviously missed our connection to Miami. Scrambled to customer service counter to get rebooted. Checked and Sai we can standby on another flight. So we took that. Of course that flight eventually got cancelled. Back to United counter and got confirmed seats for the first flight to MIA Saturday morning. Now to get lodging for 6 hours which United graciously offered. Took hotel shuttle to hotel and got our rooms and confirmed first shuttle to EWR for 5am. Woke up at 430am to a text message from United that the first morning flight was cancelled due to flight crew timing out . That can happen but how ca. The first flight of that morning to MIA have a timed out flight crew?

Make matters worse went to lobby and was informed that shuttle does not leave at 5am but 10am. Front desk offered those of us in lobby to call and order a taxi for us.  We said sure since it would be quicker than waiting for Uber. Wait 15 minutes and instead of 3 taxis arriving just one arrived so I called for an Uber instead. Now all this time on hold with United trying to get a flight for us to MIA.

Uber gets there and we hop in. During the drive phone agent informs me there is no open seat to MIA from EWR at all and we can get in on Sunday instead. Not acceptable for me. So Uber dropped us off and son and I ran to customer service counter(thank god for TSA pre check and Clear membership). While wife got her mom through the regular security. Tom at the service counter was awesome and got us 2 confirmed seats to west palm beach and the other 2 on standby. At the airside gate, since we only had 2 confirmed seats,, gave wife here passport, cruise docs, negative tests and GPS system to make the drive south to cruise port with her mom so they could at least do the cruise. Told her I made a reservation for a vehicle to drive down to Hertz MIA cruise port location and return the car there. Hertz also provides shuttle to cruise port. Son and I would meet them next week Saturday for the second half if it came down to that.

Well we got lucky and there were 8 no shows and we both got on same flight! Can now start to feel relieved that we will be in PBI by 10am on Saturday. After an uneventful flight we got off and went to lugguage counter to see of our lugguage made it. Of course it did not and after filling out located form was told we would get an update personally from the United rep. Surprised to get a call (as pulling into Walmart parking lot) from same United rep that our luggage will be arriving to MIA Airport at 2:48 pm. United have luggage will sent to cruise dock.

Whirlwind 15 minutes at Walmart to buy clothing, toiletries and a suitcase. Drove the last 20 minutes to Hertz and returned vehicle. Then was informed that the shuttle was not running. Told us to order an Uber and he will rovide credit for the ride. Surprised there was an Uber within a block. Got to cruise port by 1:20pm and having a drink by 1:35 at the poolside grill. 

We have made it so that is great. Only negative is we only have what we had on our backs and what we bought at Walmart to wear for this week.

This sounds like our nightmare from Spring Break!  Hopefully your cruise will be smooth from here on out!

Just now, Missbollinger said:

This sounds like our nightmare from Spring Break!  Hopefully your cruise will be smooth from here on out!

After the first few cocktails and lunch at the pool bar b que it was all good. 

This is subjective but found food at pool deck to be better than what was on Seaside. You can get a fresh grilled burger to your taste up on deck 20. Best burger I have had at sea (sorry have not sailed Carnival so have not tried Guys burger).  Definitely better than the Windjammer burger or Royal burger on RCL. Even the to go burger at the marketplace on Seashore is decent. Just don't go during lunch or dinner as they are making hundreds of them and then it is hit or miss. Late lunch or late night, burger is pretty good.

Edited by frank808
  • Like 1

They keep bumping Arthur around.  Pre shutdown he was in charge of a MDR, then back to YC now back to MDR.  Who do we have to petition to keep in YC?  Our first trip we met him in Le Muse in 2017.

5 minutes ago, dexddd said:

They keep bumping Arthur around.  Pre shutdown he was in charge of a MDR, then back to YC now back to MDR.  Who do we have to petition to keep in YC?  Our first trip we met him in Le Muse in 2017.

Isn't he still on Divina?  He's not on Seashore, now is he?

4 minutes ago, mafig said:

Do you still get your choice of newspaper?  I used to love that.

What's the deal with the mini bar?

We were asked if we wanted one, we didn't get one but we didn't really need it so we didn't push it.  The minibar is restocked daily, we did not get snacks restocked but we also felt like between the meals, snacks, and night time treats; we did not need those either.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:59 AM, frank808 said:

OMG!!!!! Following this. 

11 hours ago, mafig said:

Do you still get your choice of newspaper?  I used to love that.

What's the deal with the mini bar?

Yes you can still get a choice of newspaper. The list o choose from os actually larger than what was on Seaside.

Mini bar is not stocked with any small liquors. You are emailed a list before hand of a choice of a 750ml bottle of vodka, gin, whiskey, wine, etc.  I emailed back what I wanted. Once onboard, butler asked what liquor did I want for my bottle. She also told me everything will be restocked that is in mini fridge except for the Toberlone, Pringle and mixed nuts. Those are complimentary only the first time. Beers, soda, juices, water are restocked at least once a day. I say that because yesterday it was restocked around lunch and again in the evening. Today, mini fridge was only restocked in the evening. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

The mini bar thing may still be varying by ship as to what is included/offered by ship and region.

As pretty much everything MSC related, sadly. My "main" complain with them is exactly this, despite my generally great appreciation to their service: They're resisting to have a global thought on what their product should look like. Understand that if you're on the UAE or China, you need to adapt to some local regulations, but that's it. So, now, mini fridge offerings, drinks packages, fleet wise specialty restaurants, among others should to be harmonized, to say the least, if not for any other reason, for trademark service recognition... But again: They won't change this sort of "disorganised" puzzle!...

An abrupt Diamond gathering with a toast with senior officers and captain.

Unfortunately officers did not stay around or discussion like pre covid.

There was opera play of abbreviated Madam Butterfly. Awesome voices from the tenor, baritone and bass. And the production costumes are amazing. Will say entertainment and shows have been definitely better than our last cruise on Seaside.

21 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

As pretty much everything MSC related, sadly. My "main" complain with them is exactly this, despite my generally great appreciation to their service: They're resisting to have a global thought on what their product should look like. Understand that if you're on the UAE or China, you need to adapt to some local regulations, but that's it. So, now, mini fridge offerings, drinks packages, fleet wise specialty restaurants, among others should to be harmonized, to say the least, if not for any other reason, for trademark service recognition... But again: They won't change this sort of "disorganised" puzzle!...

We sailed last Fall out if Miami then next day out of Port Canaveral.  Quite a bit differences in how things handled including the Corona and minibar.

That said, we were thrilled to actually be on a ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dexddd said:

We sailed last Fall out if Miami then next day out of Port Canaveral.  Quite a bit differences in how things handled including the Corona and minibar.

Which did you prefer?