Wake up call with phone?

BuckeyeMark

Someone in our group that will be traveling on Princess soon wants to know if they need to bring an alarm clock or can they do a wake-up call with the phone? I've never done that so I'm not even sure what they're talking about.  Is this something you can call and "program" in yourself or do you have to talk to another human being, maybe in customer service, and they program something for you?

What say ye? Can Princess be your alarm clock?

6 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Someone in our group that will be traveling on Princess soon wants to know if they need to bring an alarm clock or can they do a wake-up call with the phone? I've never done that so I'm not even sure what they're talking about.  Is this something you can call and "program" in yourself or do you have to talk to another human being, maybe in customer service, and they program something for you?

What say ye? Can Princess be your alarm clock?

Yes. It’s very easy on the phone in your cabin. It’s a phone program and have used it many times.  No worries 

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Don't know about Princess, but if they have their own Smartphone it is relatively simple to set-up the alarm clock function.

Ah but that's the thing: they want to turn their phones off and put them in the safe so as to avoid unexpected cell phone charges.  Maybe a little paranoid about it and they could prolly be taught about airplane mode but they are not inclined to that ... so ... how about Princess waking them up?

4 minutes ago, PacnGoNow said:

Yes. It’s very easy on the phone in your cabin. It’s a phone program and have used it many times.  No worries 

No human involved it’s easy on the cabin of hone, if they don’t want to bring a cell phone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Ah but that's the thing: they want to turn their phones off and put them in the safe so as to avoid unexpected cell phone charges.  Maybe a little paranoid about it and they could prolly be taught about airplane mode but they are not inclined to that ... so ... how about Princess waking them up?

With the phone on airplane mode they are not going to get any calls.  We have used our personal phones for several years with absolutely no issues.  (To make certain that we don't get any *other* type of sounds from the phone we set the "Do not disturb" on.  You will *still* get the alarm...at least on Android.  (Test this at home before you leave.)

Might worry that mobile phones may not synch with ship’s time..especially where ports have different time zones.

You could always use the old fashioned way of taking a travel clock if not happy to use cabin phone and wake up call.

We use alarm feature on mobile and hope time zones align.

• Like 1

Yes, you can use the phone in your cabin to set up a "wakeup" call. Unless you are in cabin C742 on the Caribbean Princess and that option didn't work. I would press "wakeup" call and would get a message stating that that menu didn't exist. After going to "Passenger Services" 3 times to see if they would send someone to fix the phone (they never did) I was given a "work around". 

Sooooooo if you find yourself in that situation here is the "work around". Dial 130 and then when prompted dial your time in that you want to be woke up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the help everyone.  They'll do the dial in thing... as for the phone, you can set it up, you can do this, you can do that ... nope, nope, and NO.  They have no interest in that.  They aren't going to use their phones as an alarm clock and they won't be using their phone as an alarm clock.  Not my choice, not my decision but that's where it is.  So they'll be using the wake up call service. Again, thanks.

2 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

Might worry that mobile phones may not synch with ship’s time..especially where ports have different time zones.

I forgot to cover that little item!  I NEVER rely on auto-time sync when on a ship.  I always set for manual until I get home.  That way you can at least have assurance that your alarm will go off when you expect it.

• Like 2

I will use the wakeup call feature on the phone when I need to get up early for some reason. If I'm going to lie down for a quick nap, I'll use the timer on my phone--setting it for 60 or 90 minutes. It's quicker.

21 hours ago, BuckeyeMark said:

That's what we total disconnect. Have always used the room phone without any issues.

• Like 1

I always bring a small cheap battery operated alarm clock that has the push bottom on top so you can see the time in the middle of the night.

We used the stateroom phone for wake up on the final morning - along with my alarm clock

on the ship phone, hit the "wake up" button and it will tell you to put in the time for the alarm. then it will say press 1 to change, press 2 to cancel - no pressing to say if your time is correct, but it worked and the alarm went off as scheduled

• Like 1