Bottle of wine for the room?

DAllenTCY

@DAllenTCY  The above answer is one good option!

Another option is to order 2 glasses of your selection of wine and carry 1 or 2 (per person) to your stateroom for consumption there.  To "keep" for later, we have used previously emptied (clean) "Rum Runners", OR, we utilize an empty wine bottle (we had ordered and had already consumed onboard).

7 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

How does NCL manage this?

Do you have to pay extra if you have free drinks?

Thanks.

David

You'll want to read the T/C's of the promo drink package.  

https://www.ncl.com/terms/premium-beverage-package

And here is the link to ALL drink packages including the upgraded package:

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/beverage-packages

Edited by ColeThornton

If you have the upgraded drink package, then select bottles of wine are included for free. You can 'buy' at dinner or the bars and take it back to your room. Any bottle you purchase can be brought back to the room if you don't finish it.

But in terms of outright buying a bottle to be delivered to the room, there's a cost for that even with the drink package. They have some options where you can request to have your room stocked with a bottle or 2 upon embarkation, but there's a fee for that service.

Best thing to do is order a bottle with your meal, and take the leftover back with you.

8 hours ago, DAllenTCY said:

How does NCL manage this?

Do you have to pay extra if you have free drinks?

Thanks.

David

If you have the Upgraded drink package then order a bottle or two (you might both like a different type) with dinner then take them back to the cabin. When we are sailing with just the standard drink package, all of the bars will let us walk away with two glasses of wine each. We carry them (carefully) back to the cabin and store them in the fridge for late at night when we like to relax on our balcony and enjoy a couple! Last cruise I remembered to pack a bit of Saran Wrap to top them in the fridge as to not make a mess in rough seas 😊

Also, on a couple of past cruises (prior to us having any drink package) just after boarding in the Atrium there was a table set up where they were selling wine bottle packages that they delivered to our cabin, that was handy!

Edited by mjcatlvr
added detail

8 hours ago, casofilia said:

@DAllenTCY

I think you will find that "Free Drinks" does NOT include free bottles.   If you want a bottle for your room you will have to take it on board and pay the $15 or buy it on board.

If you carry bottles on board you have to pay $15 per bottle?

3 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

If you carry bottles on board you have to pay $15 per bottle?

FAQ's on NCL.com:

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

Edited by ColeThornton

3 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Thank you. So if we bring 2 bottles and they some how miss seeing them while embarking , the room steward will report seeing them in the cabin?  Or if we elect to bring 3 bottles we simply pay $45 and have charged to our account on board? We haven't sailed on Norwegian in a long time so this is different for us. 

9 hours ago, casofilia said:

@DAllenTCY

I think you will find that "Free Drinks" does NOT include free bottles.   If you want a bottle for your room you will have to take it on board and pay the $15 or buy it on board.

ACTUALLY they do NOT charge the corkage fee if you have the beverage package:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/can-i-bring-alcohol-board

"Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package."

Edited by KKB
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, KKB said:

ACTUALLY they do NOT charge the corkage fee if you have the beverage package:

https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/cruise-faq/can-i-bring-alcohol-board

"Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package."

I saw that myself but I think it's poorly worded.   I don't think it means that people who have a beverage package get the corkage fee waived bringing bottles on board but rather if they get wine with their package there is no corkage fee charged for that.  Does that make sense?

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

I saw that myself but I think it's poorly worded.   I don't think it means that people who have a beverage package get the corkage fee waived bringing bottles on board but rather if they get wine with their package there is no corkage fee charged for that.  Does that make sense?

We don't have the beverage package. 

14 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Not at all how I read it.

The whole paragraph is regarding the brining on of wine, not once is there any mention of wine gotten onboard.

That statement about no corkage for people with a beverage package does sounds pretty unambiguous, I've never spotted that before. 
I wonder if they meant to specify the premium plus package maybe? Just thinking that the $15 corkage fee is equal to the max price of a drink on the standard package (which may very well be a coincidence!).
Is that a new addition to the corkage policy?

9 minutes ago, KKB said:

The whole paragraph is regarding the brining on of wine, not once is there any mention of wine gotten onboard.

9 minutes ago, KKB said:

We get the UDP and have always paid corkage.

23 minutes ago, thedarklord said:

That statement about no corkage for people with a beverage package does sounds pretty unambiguous, I've never spotted that before. 
I wonder if they meant to specify the premium plus package maybe? Just thinking that the $15 corkage fee is equal to the max price of a drink on the standard package (which may very well be a coincidence!).
Is that a new addition to the corkage policy?

Someone posted it today on another site & said it was a new addition, but I cannot confirm that it is new

21 minutes ago, KKB said:

Someone posted it today on another site & said it was a new addition, but I cannot confirm that it is new

Absolutely new.  First time I've ever noticed it when I've been posting that info for someone.

10 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

Absolutely new.  First time I've ever noticed it when I've been posting that info for someone.

I might have to give it a test in 2 week time leaving Venice 😃

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, JTBCruiser said:

Is there a limit on number of bottles of wine as long as we pay the corkage fee? Only talking about 3 bottles. 

There is not a limit.  But you need to carry the wine with you during checkin/boarding.  It can't be in checked luggage.  As you pass thru security with it, they will see it and are supposed to send you and your wine to a desk that has been set up off to the side.  A person at that table will inspect your wine supply to make sure it is actually wine or champagne since stronger liquor is prohibited to be carried on.  Assuming your wine passes inspection, they tag it with a sticker.  They fill out a form with your name and cabin number and have you sign it.  This will result in a $15 per bottle charge being added to your onboard account.  It usually shows up about day 2 and will usually be a charge from one of the bars or one of the restaurants.  In my experience, it does NOT show up as "corkage fee" or something like that.  Once you have your bottles on board, you are free to consume them anywhere you want including in any dining location.  

There have been reports that in some instance, they don't always get the inspection table set up in time to catch early arrivers.  Or they don't have personnel to man it.  If you aren't told by security to proceed to the table, feel free to move along with your bottles and take them onboard. 

In theory, once on the ship, if your bottle does not have a sticker on it, they could attempt to charge you a corkage fee.  In reality, I don't think that ever happens. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

There is not a limit.  But you need to carry the wine with you during checkin/boarding.  It can't be in checked luggage.  As you pass thru security with it, they will see it and are supposed to send you and your wine to a desk that has been set up off to the side.  A person at that table will inspect your wine supply to make sure it is actually wine or champagne since stronger liquor is prohibited to be carried on.  Assuming your wine passes inspection, they tag it with a sticker.  They fill out a form with your name and cabin number and have you sign it.  This will result in a $15 per bottle charge being added to your onboard account.  It usually shows up about day 2 and will usually be a charge from one of the bars or one of the restaurants.  In my experience, it does NOT show up as "corkage fee" or something like that.  Once you have your bottles on board, you are free to consume them anywhere you want including in any dining location.  

There have been reports that in some instance, they don't always get the inspection table set up in time to catch early arrivers.  Or they don't have personnel to man it.  If you aren't told by security to proceed to the table, feel free to move along with your bottles and take them onboard. 

In theory, once on the ship, if your bottle does not have a sticker on it, they could attempt to charge you a corkage fee.  In reality, I don't think that ever happens. 

Thanks for your detailed answer. This was very helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

52 minutes ago, ColeThornton said:

It's so poorly written (using the singular "guest") it almost looks as if it was the work of someone whose native language definitely isn't English. Perhaps a Russian hacker at work. 🤣

Edited by njhorseman
  • Haha 1

I have never come across it before so I would assume it is "new".

Wine & Champagne Policy 

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

Corkage Fee is not applicable to guest with beverage package.

I disagree that the wording is NOT clear.   It is absolutely clear; read the two bolded sections.

However the wording is the usual terrible English (no proof reading as is usual with NCL documents) and I imagine what is stated is NOT what NCL intended.

It will be interesting to see what happens at some port some time in the future.

32 minutes ago, casofilia said:

It will be interesting to see what happens at some port some time in the future.

Just for fun I will be testing it in 2 week time and will report back.
I don't want the wine on the ship so they can look after it if they won't allow it.

• Like 1