Sister that I'm cruising with in three months just now told me her passport is expired

I'm so frustrated considering she had two years to get it renewed. But that's a different subject ofr a different time.

I'm not getting my hopes up that she will have it renewed in time. Is it possible to go on a carnival cruise with your birth certificate instead or some other form of ID? I assume she most likely won't be allowed to go off on the ports, but will she at least be allowed to be on the ship?

We are going on Carnival Mardi Gras October 1st.

2 minutes ago, jamie717 said:

Yes, you can use birth certificate and state issued identification.

We are going to the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, and Grand Turk. Would she be allowed on those ports without a passport or will she be made to stay on the ship?

5 minutes ago, NuggetTheChicken said:

We are going to the Bahamas, Dominican Republic, and Grand Turk. Would she be allowed on those ports without a passport or will she be made to stay on the ship?

Yes, she will be allowed to disembark without a passport.  we sailed on the Mardi Gras in February and our whole party used Birth Certificates.  Just a side note, if you can get her to get on it, we just had an 8 week turnaround time on our passports.  Mailed on 4/19/22 and received them 6/17/22.  When renewing you have to send the expired passport, not your birth certificate, so it won't be an issue if it's not back before the cruise. 

• Like 3

Just make sure it is a state issued birth certificate, not a hospital one. (DW found that out the hard way when applying for a passport and finding out her mother had sent her the hospital one and thrown out the real one. She had to apply in the township of her birth to get a duplicate before she could get a passport issued.) 

Cruise lines also will not accept non-state issued birth certificats. If @Ferry_Watcher sees this thread, you can get the official story of what will or will not be accepted from someone whose job is to approve (or send for a supervisor) when you present your documentation.

• Like 2

Also keep in mind that in addition to paying for expedited processing you can also pay a little more for express shipping back to you. I had to have my passport renewed last spring and I did both those things and had my new passport in my hands about a month later.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NuggetTheChicken said:

I'm so frustrated considering she had two years to get it renewed. But that's a different subject ofr a different time.

I'm not getting my hopes up that she will have it renewed in time. Is it possible to go on a carnival cruise with your birth certificate instead or some other form of ID? I assume she most likely won't be allowed to go off on the ports, but will she at least be allowed to be on the ship?

We are going on Carnival Mardi Gras October 1st.

There is an extra charge for a rush put on the passport. 4-8 weeks max to get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Just make sure it is a state issued birth certificate, not a hospital one. (DW found that out the hard way when applying for a passport and finding out her mother had sent her the hospital one and thrown out the real one. She had to apply in the township of her birth to get a duplicate before she could get a passport issued.) 

Cruise lines also will not accept non-state issued birth certificats. If @Ferry_Watcher sees this thread, you can get the official story of what will or will not be accepted from someone whose job is to approve (or send for a supervisor) when you present your documentation.

How do I know if a birth certificate is state issue or hospital?

1 hour ago, Joe817 said:

Just Google "state issued birth certificate", and you will get plenty of hits. 

Also, the hospital ones often have the baby’s footprints on them, and they have the name of the hospital prominently on the document.  It’s really more like a keepsake/souvenir.

3 hours ago, NuggetTheChicken said:

Thank you all for the answers, everyone! Sadly I don't think I can rely on passports being done quickly like you all said as there's a delay on passports right now, but I'm sure we'll be fine if we do expedited.

The 5-7 weeks is what on the website currently.  I know because mine is in the process of being renewed.

1 hour ago, ladychater said:

Your birth certificate MUST have a RAISED SEAL.  Please be sure it does.  Anything else isn't considered official.

That might be true to get a passport (I can't remember to say for sure) but Carnival will accept a photocopy of a birth certificate no problem.

• Like 2

I would personally encourage her to place an application for a passport. It makes traveling easier especially if something happened that you would need to leave the ship and go home. It may or may not come in time. But as long as she has an official birth certificate issued by the government not the hospital, (may or may not have a raised seal, every state is different)  and a government issued ID, you’ll be ok to board. 

If she travels with a Birth Certificate, make sure she is back onboard well before sail time. if she misses the boat, BIG Problem. She won't be able to fly home from international port without a Passport!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yogibear said:

If she travels with a Birth Certificate, make sure she is back onboard well before sail time. if she misses the boat, BIG Problem. She won't be able to fly home from international port without a Passport!!

Well you are correct about a big problem.  The person will eventually will be allowed to get back to the US.  It may take several days to get it ironed out and perhaps going to another city that has an US embassy/consulate.

2 hours ago, purpleally said:

Where do you live?  I would drive to closest passport place. However, our renewals came in five weeks. Sent them in April. She has three months. I think it can be done 

Indiana.

We got the application and she will take a picture at a Walgreens and mail in her application asap 🙂

• Like 3