Removing the balcony divider

If we have connecting balcony cabins will they still remove the divider on the balcony. We are on Liberty if it makes a difference. I know this was something they did years ago and hoping it is still a thing. If so how do we go about having this done? Also do we just let the room steward know we want the beds in one room separated into 2 or do we request this in advance?

Just ask you cabin steward he will slide back the divider if you are in a cabin that makes it possible and the captain is allowing it. We've never had a problem having this done.... and as recently as in April between our GS & extended family in the 2 bdrm GS next door on Harmony.

As far as the bedding goes ask your steward and it will be done at turn down on your first night...no problem.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 1

They don't "remove" the divider -- they just open it.  You won't have one big balcony, you'll still have a half-divider between the two, but you'll be able to walk from one to the other.

And just mention it to the room steward about separating the beds in one room, and they'll get it done before bedtime.  Depending on the language barrier, maybe make it clear that you want two beds in one room and one bed in the other room.  I always just leave a note on the bed, because sometimes you don't see the room attendant.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, exm said:

Liberty is a Freedom Class ship and it is possible on those. It's not possible on Voyager Class and older ships.

Navigator and Mariner are the exception with balcony dividers that open in the voyager class.  

51 minutes ago, exm said:

Liberty is a Freedom Class ship and it is possible on those. It's not possible on Voyager Class and older ships.

First generation Voyager class, Explorer, Adventure & Voyager are part of the hull so they can't open.

Second generation Navigator & Mariner open as they are outside the hull.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

First generation Voyager class, Explorer, Adventure & Voyager are part of the hull so they can't open.

You learn something new every day. I was on Adventure last year, so that's what I based my opinion on. Good to know!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Our last cruise was on Liberty, and the steward opened our three consecutive balcony cabins into one looong balcony.  We asked him to do it the first time we met him, and he had to go ask for "a key" to open the dividers -- he couldn't just do it.  It was done within 3-4 hours of boarding.  This was extra work for him, so we did give him a good tip right away.  

We LOVED the balconies being open.  We left the glass doors unlocked, so we could go between the family cabins without going "out in public".  We figured no one could possibly get onto our balconies, so we felt perfectly safe.  

As for bedding, you check "king or twins" when you book, but -- in my experience -- you may not get what you requested.  If not, it's easy to ask the steward to change it.  

• Like 1

I carry a magnetic pad of paper with me & I write my requests on there & stick it on the door.  The beds are separated when I come back later.  I also write any other requests like distilled water.  Sometimes I carry on a nice conversation with my steward on that pad of paper.

I saw many open balconies on the Oasis last week.   

21 hours ago, Ashland said:

Agree big Difference, was on Voyager 22+ yrs ago, Explorer 21 and Nav 18. Actually enjoyed the Privacy on First Gen Voyager, was our last Cruise w/o the Kiddies

On 6/27/2022 at 2:26 PM, scubaslayer said:

If we have connecting balcony cabins will they still remove the divider on the balcony. We are on Liberty if it makes a difference. I know this was something they did years ago and hoping it is still a thing. If so how do we go about having this done? Also do we just let the room steward know we want the beds in one room separated into 2 or do we request this in advance?

We were just on the Symphony and had 3 connecting cabins.  Our room steward removed the dividers as soon as we requested. NP at all.  Hope yours will do the same

17 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Just curious .. under what conditions would the captain not allow it? Rough seas causing the doors to swing open and closed perhaps?

Our cabin attendant stated the Captain wouldn't allow them to be opened last September on Mariner - likely due to Covid. But have since had them opened on other ships (more recently).

On 6/27/2022 at 6:54 PM, Ashland said:

Interesting that these two ships have openable dividers, as typically ships built before the Star Princess fire in 2006 don't have them.

17 hours ago, publicpersona said:

Just curious .. under what conditions would the captain not allow it? Rough seas causing the doors to swing open and closed perhaps?

In most cases, it is at the Captain's discretion as to whether to allow dividers open or not.  This depends on the Captain's personal risk tolerance, as the dividers provide fire protection.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Interesting that these two ships have openable dividers, as typically ships built before the Star Princess fire in 2006 don't have them.

45 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In most cases, it is at the Captain's discretion as to whether to allow dividers open or not.  This depends on the Captain's personal risk tolerance, as the dividers provide fire protection.

The previous MS Rotterdam (1997, now MS Borealis) had them, too. We were on deck 6. On deck 7 cabins were simply twice as big so it was similar to deck 6 with every other divider open. 

Just remembered one disembarkation morning several years ago that had crew opening ALL the dividers on our deck/side of ship and looking all the way fore/aft of our balcony through the others. May find a picture somewhere. Not sure what they were doing. Guess some railing maintenance or something.

3 hours ago, GJustice said:

Just remembered one disembarkation morning several years ago that had crew opening ALL the dividers on our deck/side of ship and looking all the way fore/aft of our balcony through the others. May find a picture somewhere. Not sure what they were doing. Guess some railing maintenance or something.

Fairly common on turn around day, they are washing the balconies, and drag a hose from one end to the other.  That way, they don't have to tromp through each cabin to get to the balcony, and upset the cabin stewards' routine.

Edited by chengkp75