Muster Drill Question

krufrank

9 minutes ago, krufrank said:

In light of COVID concerns, are Princess Ships still gathering the entire ship for Muster Drill on first day of cruise? Or is in on video now in our rooms?? 

Video coupled with a physical “tap in” at your actual muster station at your convenience, but prior to departure. 

• Like 2

You can even watch the video from your mobile device (if you prefer) while you have a drink in your favorite bar (and then wander through your muster station to check in).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Wonder if / how they know you watched the video or just went to the check in location. Not that many paid attention when it was in person in large groups. 

They do know.   On recent cruise, Captain would announce percentage of people who had not watched the video

14 minutes ago, negn said:

They do know.   On recent cruise, Captain would announce percentage of people who had not watched the video

Is the video interactive requiring you to respond to prompts or questions as it plays?  If not, how do they know that you actually paid attention to the video?  You could go out onto the balcony for cocktails while it played, or left your phone in the safe while you went up to the buffet.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

More accurately, they know that you accessed the video on your TV or phone.  But they don't know if you went out onto the balcony for cocktails while it played, or left your phone in the safe while you went up to the buffet.  

That is correct we ran it on our phones while having a Prosecco at a bar waiting for staterooms to be ready. We did have to push a button or 2 to keep it running but did not really have to pay a lot of attention. Of course in the old days most folks didn’t pay any attention while crammed into a lounge

• Like 1

They know who's watching based on the medallion.

You have to have it with you, and you have to be near the device playing the video. (phone or tv).

You can close your eyes, or not pay attention, but then you might not know what to do in case of an emergency.

May I suggest that folks act responsibly for the sake of everyone else on the ship, and watch the video instead of trying to figure out how to beat the system.

• Like 16

We watched the video whilst sitting having a drink by the pool and then went to Muster area and had our Medallion bleeped. We had green ticks on both Medallion App to say we had done both. Next day we had a letter saying we hadnt completed the embarkation muster process when we had so just put it in the bin. Never heard nothing else so came to one conclusion that Princess currently dont have a clue what they are doing and this was confirmed by the end of the cruise.

• Like 1

They don't always know if you've watched the video. Last cruise on the Royal - June 4, we were both in the cabin, had our medallions and watched the video while unpacking. Went down to the muster station and checked in there. We were told there we hadn't watched the video. So, we watched it again in the cabin and still received a letter from the captain saying we hadn't watched the video! In the letter was a summary of all the information from the video as well. That was the end of it. I suppose their delivery of the letter was enough to satisfy their requirements.

1 hour ago, negn said:

On recent cruise, Captain would announce percentage of people who had not watched the video

This is my least favorite part of the new safety procedure, IMHO - the constant nagging to watch the video and check in.  I've experienced it on three different cruise lines (Princess, Royal, Celebrity) and heard that it's done on a fourth (Carnival).

"XXX of you haven't done the muster drill yet" - Yeah, yeah, I'm unpacking, give me a break

"X% of you still haven't checked in yet" - I'm on my way down 8 flights of stairs to get to my muster station

"We're about ready to leave, but we can't go until everyone watches the safety briefing" - Come on you lazy laggards, it's easy, it's quick, just do it already

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to spare us this whining and just go back to the old briefings.  Then I remember those muggy Miami afternoons, in the hot sun, stacked on top of each other like we were trying for last place in the Social Distancing Olympics...

Edited by Honolulu Blue
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

They know who's watching based on the medallion.

You have to have it with you, and you have to be near the device playing the video. (phone or tv).

You can close your eyes, or not pay attention, but then you might not know what to do in case of an emergency.

May I suggest that folks act responsibly for the sake of everyone else on the ship, and watch the video instead of trying to figure out how to beat the system.

Agree.  It's not a big ask compared to the old days.  My first muster drill was in 1976 on the QE2 and they did it after the ship had departed on its TransAtlantic passage.  It was more like a fire drill from your grammar school days where they blasted the alarm and you had to scramble to get your life jacket on and head outside to your life boat boarding area and hang out outside irrespective of the weather until all instructions had been delivered.  It really was a "drill" and not an information session. Now I can watch the video in the comfort of my Mini-Suite whilst savoring the lovely and fragrant glass of complimentary "Champagne" (or is it "Champale"?)  

4 hours ago, negn said:

Is that what the announcement was about?  I never can understand a word of the Captain's announcements, due to a heavy accent and lousy quality PA system! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, majortom10 said:

We watched the video whilst sitting having a drink by the pool and then went to Muster area and had our Medallion bleeped. We had green ticks on both Medallion App to say we had done both. Next day we had a letter saying we hadnt completed the embarkation muster process when we had so just put it in the bin. Never heard nothing else so came to one conclusion that Princess currently dont have a clue what they are doing and this was confirmed by the end of the cruise.

It's hit or miss.  On a B2B we were told we didn't have to watch it a second time.  Sure enough, we got a letter saying we didn't watch.   Threw the letter out.
Earlier this year, we checked in at our muster station and then later on, we watched it.

Edited by suzyed

40 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Is that what the announcement was about?  I never can understand a word of the Captain's announcements,

And, they are all named "Captain Speaking".

Who ever manages all the ships must have a really hard time with this...

• Haha 5

Considering the flakey Medallion app, people who use their phones to watch it won't be bothered my anyone to check in again.

We just started it up on the phone & proceeded to lunch, stopping by our check in area afterwards. 

I love this new system as I've heard the spiel so many times I could repeat it from memory. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Tonsoffun44 said:

Wonder if / how they know you watched the video or just went to the check in location. Not that many paid attention when it was in person in large groups. 

Cruise before last, we started the video and then absent mindedly left the cabin with it playing. The fact that our medallions weren't in the cabin seemed to have busted us. We had to restart the video and stay in the cabin while it played.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Is that what the announcement was about?  I never can understand a word of the Captain's announcements, due to a heavy accent and lousy quality PA system! 

This gets to be really funny sometimes. On one of our cruises last year, after we'd given up trying to understand the announcements, we spent the time they were on speculating on what the heck the accent was. 

So how close is close enough to the device?  Remembering the old days when parents said "you sit that close to the TV you'll hurt your eyes".  Should just make it interactive to be sure people watch if they really care - No letters need to be sent or staff telling people they didn't watch it. Sure didn't care how many were paying attention when it was large groups like the old days. Remember it was mostly - "think how many people blow the whistles and we don't clean them" then people stop doing it and it's over- go back to cabin put the vest away enjoy the cruise. 

I can guarantee you that with the new system a large percentage of passengers will have no idea how to correctly put on a life jacket. In case of a real emergency, they will be ill-prepared.

The old system (go to a muster station for the drill) at least (originally) had everyone put on their life jacket with staff to assist to be sure it was done correctly.

• Like 3

On one of our first cruises on the way to the drill I made a comment " what good is it, if the ship is sinking the crew will be the first off" I turned around and there were to crew members behind us smiling 🤣

19 hours ago, negn said:

Definition of "watched" please. We had it on while we unpacked.

I'll now wait for the takedown by the outraged, condemning my lack of attention.

The cabin TV video may get linked to the current location of the medallion.

Be surprised if they can track the location of your phone accurate enough

The ships wi-fi has quite a reach get connected if there is any wait time in the terminal and watch it there. 

NCL send links in the days before you board so you can get that out the way before getting on the ship.