Heads up on pre-cruise COVID testing if traveling soon

KKB

Yesterday HHS announced it is no longer paying for COVID tests unless you are displaying symptoms.

Some people have had a nasty surprise when Walgreens said their tests would run $128 each!

Now, no info as to whether insurance will cover these for travel purposes.

Might be incentive to order those proctored home tests for vastly less. 

• Thanks 1

So far, here in the SF Bay Area, they are still listed as ‘no cost’.  Maybe it’s a San Francisco thing.  Everything is free here … 😂!  
I realize HHS is federal .. so will have to keep my eyes peeled. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FLCruiser97 said:

CVS in my area still says that they are no charge. I just checked their website.

The change is for those on traditional Medicare and Medicaid as those are Federal programs.  If on private insurance or Medicare Advantage, the terms of your policy apply.

As of today tests can still be ordered at covid.gov/tests for free.

Agree at testing for travel is certainly elective and would guess coverage will go away as of some future date.  Proctoring is certainly cheap at as low as $25 for 2 people and many companies at $20pp.

Again this announcement came out today - June 30th - so of course the change has not gone into effect yet.

Thanks to the OP 

Edited by Arizona Wildcat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kwis29 said:

Can you provide a link to this announcement from HHS? I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything about this. Thank you

I didn't believe it either. Was reported by a person on another cruise forum.

On Google it still says free but once I clicked on Walgreens, this came up:

The blue pop up is new.

Hey if yours still covers--AWESOME.

Always better to be prepared.

On Point Testing will also virtually proctor your free home test for $15. (news to me--tucking that in my back pocket for our numerous upcoming cruises)

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.29.18 PM.png

• Thanks 1

The change started in March when HHS ran out of new money to pay for testing for the uninsured.  Thus testing as ting sites cannot bill HHS for new claim $$ once money they were awarded in used.

Does it make any sense that the government would pay for testing to pay for an elective activity?

Please do not comment on the rationality covid testing.  Cruises that visit Canada will require preboarding testing until Canada changes its policy no matter what Celebrity decides. 

I don’t believe the results they email to you change based on whether or not you designate the test “for travel” when you sign up. 

If you have had ANYTHING in the last 14 days that could be considered a symptom (literally even if you’ve coughed once), go ahead and list that symptom, so that there’s a good chance your insurance will pay for it. They don’t also need to know you’re traveling

• Like 1

I would guess that many places will stop testing.  With no testing required for air travel and tests available for anywhere from free to a few dollars an antigen test makes little sense.  If you have symptoms wouldn't you get a PCR tests after doing an antigen at home?  No reason for a written report except for travel on a ship is there?

CVS in our area stopped free travel testing months ago.  At the same time they shutdown the testing kiosk outside and significantly reduced the availability of rapid antigen testings.    Our county drive up free testing sites (PCR) are also all shutting down due to loss of federal funding.

56 minutes ago, Gracie115 said:

The proctored tests are easy to use and at $20 to $25 well worth not worrying about whether CVS or Walgreen's or whoever decides to start charging far more than that 2-3 days ahead of sailing.  

Hi! I was wondering about using these one of online proctoring companies along with unopened covid test kits that I already have on hand.

Curious if Celebrity would accept these and if you have had first hand experience of Celebrity accepting the confirmation of a negative test from one of the online companies? 

Would like to go this route for an upcoming cruise - but worried Celebrity would reject and not accept something from other than a well known proctoring service when they check the paperwork at embarkation. TIA!

14 minutes ago, bye-seaya said:

Hi! I was wondering about using these one of online proctoring companies along with unopened covid test kits that I already have on hand.

Curious if Celebrity would accept these and if you have had first hand experience of Celebrity accepting the confirmation of a negative test from one of the online companies? 

Would like to go this route for an upcoming cruise - but worried Celebrity would reject and not accept something from other than a well known proctoring service when they check the paperwork at embarkation. TIA!

The will accept as long as your test is supervised by a telehealth professional. https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/accepted-covid-tests

They also have a list of companies here https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/us-travel-requirements

Edited by RevM
To add more links
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bye-seaya said:

We used EMED tests for our sailing.  They are accepted by Celebrity/Royal all cruiselines as far as I know.  They do cost around $25 each.  Can be ordered on line.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, danv3 said:

Walgreens here is only booking appointments three days out now (instead of a week out).

Same here at Walgreen's Texas near us.  CVS still does the rapid antigen without provider visit at a location 20 miles from us, and WITH a provider visit at a location close to us.  Appts. for two days after current day.  I don't know about a charge. . .

Edited by 12cruise2

Is there any free testing option still? I guess it depends upon location. Does saying "testing for possible exposure" make it free? Do you have to say you have symptoms to make it free? Is there any drawback to saying you have symptoms when you don't? I guess testing negative resolves that concern?

There are many places that cost $150-$200 for a test. There are some places that are cheaper. There are some places that were FREE, but I guess not any more? 

I DO hope Celebrity removes the testing requirement. Nowhere else is requiring testing (eg US immigration) and because of that the number of testing sites is going down and the costs are going up. 

• Like 1

In Central Florida Walgreens is now $128 per person cash up front even with Obamacare. They said if you have no insurance it is free, they just bill the federal government !!! Got tested elsewhere, they submit a $75 per person charge to insurance. Liable if insurance does not cover it. Everywhere was free just a few weeks ago !!!

For travel here it's never been free and the free testing for counting cases they stopped some time back.
Even rapid tests were hard to get a hold of so when I was in New Orleans last year I picked up some I could use at home. Also note to go to the US I had to pay $200 to test to go and another $250 to get back into Canada (then got nailed for random testing at the airport - lucky me)