Entire Group Got Sick on Celebrity

buckeyedonna

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I'm not in healthcare, but I don't think the booster does this.

I asked my doctor about getting Vaxed  just before testing for a cruise.  He said don't worry the shots are not live virus and the test are for live virus so should have no affect on your test.

• Like 2

Is it just me or are you tired of seeing "I/We got covid after a cruise."?

Covid is here to stay, we will either get it or not. The best we can hope for after getting all shots and boosters is for a mild case. It is a risk we take whether cruising or shopping, etc. Some things we have to do, cruising is not one of them, so it is a personal decision to cruise.

Please feel free to report this post. 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1

The vaccines and boosters were developed to combat the very early COVID infections. They did a fine job until the virus began mutating and the vaccines (and boosters) became less effective to the point we are at now that they DO NOT prevent contracting the new variants.  I suspect that the new variant are not anywhere as lethal as the original strains and thus people are usually having very mild symptoms.  Therefore, it seems plausible that the vaccines are not really doing anything at this point. I know many non-vaccinated people that contracted COVID recently that had symptoms similar to vaccinated people.

My doctor said to not get the 4th booster but instead wait until the fall when a new vaccine should be available to combat the most recent COVID variants.

I know, there will always be exceptions but in general, I feel this is the case.

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

get that second booster to close to the cruise either and risk a positive pre-cruise covid test due to the booster.

Hmmm.  Should I join the chorus that sez, "It don't work that way"?

15 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I can't even get a second 😞

Here only over 60's can get a second booster

Without a second close to my cruise date I wouldn’t even go. The 3rd here in the US will be a new omicron specific booster.

33 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Covid is here to stay, we will either get it or not. The best we can hope for after getting all shots and boosters is for a mild case. It is a risk we take whether cruising or shopping, etc. Some things we have to do, cruising is not one of them, so it is a personal decision to cruise.

This!!!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, blackshirt said:

I guess that would mean 37 days is too early. Both my wife and I got our 2nd booster May 4. We sailed June 11, 14 day cruise. We tested positive after returning home June 25th. I guess you also wouldn’t want to get that second booster to close to the cruise either and risk a positive pre-cruise covid test due to the booster.

That isn’t how it works.  You can’t get a positive test result from the vaccine or a booster

1 minute ago, cruisestitch said:

That isn’t how it works.  You can’t get a positive test result from the vaccine or a booster.  And it doesn’t follow that just because you were on a cruise you got the virus on the ship.  On the bus, on a cab, on a shore excursion, on a plane at the t shirt store, at the beach, there is simply no way to tell

We just got off Solstice last week and so far 4 out of 11 of us tested positive. Also heard from people we met onboard about being positive. This was our 5th cruise since the restart and all other cruises we were fine. We could have caught it on the plane, hotel, ports or the ship. Can't blame the cruise line as it's a risk we take traveling or even leaving the house. We will keep cruising and have many already booked for the future. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Exactly this. 

As other threads involving people pointing this out and telling others to stop moaning about covid have been reported by the covid police and shut down, for fairness (to the 98% of people who just don't care anymore and/or are trying to get excited about an upcoming holiday) can we please shut down all the threads with people moaning they caught covid on a ship. A couple million people in the uk had covid last week, including me. 99.99% of us caught it somewhere other than on a ship. Tbh I'd have rather caught it on a ship than down the supermarket, at least I'd have had some fun beforehand! 

Oh and I'm sorry OP, but you're being unreasonable expecting Celebrity to go against their policies and refund your money simply because you suddenly got scared about covid. If it was the rule that anyone could cancel any cruise at any time for absolutely any reason and just say "oh but covid" to get a full refund, Celebrity wouldn't be around for much longer. Businesses cannot operate like that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OysterD said:

Exactly this. 

As other threads involving people pointing this out and telling others to stop moaning about covid have been reported by the covid police and shut down, for fairness (to the 98% of people who just don't care anymore and/or are trying to get excited about an upcoming holiday) can we please shut down all the threads with people moaning they caught covid on a ship. A couple million people in the uk had covid last week, including me. 99.99% of us caught it somewhere other than on a ship. Tbh I'd have rather caught it on a ship than down the supermarket, at least I'd have had some fun beforehand! 

Oh and I'm sorry OP, but you're being unreasonable expecting Celebrity to go against their policies and refund your money simply because you suddenly got scared about covid. If it was the rule that anyone could cancel any cruise at any time for absolutely any reason and just say "oh but covid" to get a full refund, Celebrity wouldn't be around for much longer. Businesses cannot operate like that. 

I think these threads would stop and never appear if the cruise lines were transparent about the number of cases reported on each voyage and was made public. For ships in Europe the CDC color code which is minimal information doesn’t even exist. As an example, I go on the Reflection out of Rome on August 26. I would like to know on all the previous European sailings of Reflection to date how many cases were reported just to get some idea of the risk I face. Right now I haven’t a clue, I’m flying blind. Unacceptable for a cruise line in these days not to supply this data. The only transparency I see is the threads disappear without a trace at some point.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

I think these threads would stop and never appear if the cruise lines were transparent about the number of cases reported on each voyage and was made public. For ships in Europe the CDC color code which is minimal information doesn’t even exist. As an example, I go on the Reflection out of Rome on August 26. I would like to know on all the previous European sailings of Reflection to date how many cases were reported just to get some idea of the risk I face. Right now I haven’t a clue, I’m flying blind. Unacceptable for a cruise line in these days not to supply this data. The only transparency I see is the threads disappear without a trace at some point.

So you’re staying home then, right.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

The vast majority of people in Europe probably have no idea what the CDC is and/or don't care. If the majority of cruises in Europe seem to be back up at or near capacity without that information being available then I'd hypothesise that the majority of people cruising couldn't care less about it lol. 

PS I'll be on Reflection a month later, take care of her for us! 🙂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OysterD said:

The vast majority of people in Europe probably have no idea what the CDC is and/or don't care. If the majority of cruises in Europe seem to be back up at or near capacity without that information being available then I'd hypothesise that the majority of people cruising couldn't care less about it lol. 

PS I'll be on Reflection a month later, take care of her for us! 🙂

Hope you have a great cruise!  In case you have not noticed yet, I’ve got a news flash, Americans can be just a tad dramatic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Virginia100 said:

No. But prefer to see real data to see how I should adjust my approach on board. Ignorance is never a good option. 

I'm not sure even the cruise lines have accurate data as so many people are choosing not to report symptoms anymore because they don't want to have to quarantine.  And people who don't test positive until they get home don't report back to the cruise line.  With less testing happening (beyond the pre-cruise test), the cruise lines aren't going to have much data.

I just assume that when case numbers are high on land, they are likely high on a cruise ship.  Anyone who isn't comfortable hanging out at a restaurant/bar/concert at home, probably shouldn't go on a cruise.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Hope you have a great cruise!  In case you have not noticed yet, I’ve got a news flash, Americans can be just a tad dramatic. 

I worked for a Uk corporation ‘s US HQ and there is a different attitude and personality between the people for sure, I’m not sure The right word is dramatic. Just more detailed.

4 minutes ago, prmssk said:

I'm not sure even the cruise lines have accurate data as so many people are choosing not to report symptoms anymore because they don't want to have to quarantine.  And people who don't test positive until they get home don't report back to the cruise line.  With less testing happening (beyond the pre-cruise test), the cruise lines aren't going to have much data.

I just assume that when case numbers are high on land, they are likely high on a cruise ship.  Anyone who isn't comfortable hanging out at a restaurant/bar/concert at home, probably shouldn't go on a cruise.

I go out to restaurants 4x a week and my fitness center 6x a week. Sorry, no concerts on my agenda. The difference is one is at home, the other out the country. That does change my approach.

Sorry you all got sick. We were on the same cruise and my sweetie (64 year old grandma) got sick and tested positive for Covid on the last morning. We did everything together and I did not get it.... I left the comedian magician show (from Las Vegas where Mary was the participant from the audience) early.... it had 150 people crammed into the small poorly ventilated room .... my sweetie stayed and came down with Covid 4 days later. Did you go to that show? Just wondering? The cruise was great but we won’t be cruising anytime soon!

4 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

I can't even get a second 😞

Here only over 60's can get a second booster

Over 75s here, happy to wait till Oct/Nov to have the second booster along with flu vaccine as we go into the Winter.

Had Omicron in Feb and my online NHS covid info says I have protection for 180 days , though with the new Omicron variants B.4 and 5 I'm not sure if that still holds true. 

A lot of younger people seem to be testing negative after 5 days with the new variants 

To the OP, hope you all feel better soon and make a full recovery 

Edited by sgmn

13 hours ago, Gia2cats said:

I’m curious (since we have a land tour followed by a cruise on July 15). Did your party have the 2nd booster? The reason I ask is because I will be 15 days post booster and my husband will be 30 days. I’m wondering if getting the booster provides any added protection.

We just got off the Solstice the week before this cruise.  We all had the second booster 30 days before this cruise.  We all were very cautious wore our masks when around other people and sat away from others in one of the balconies  in the theatre.   We did do one group excursion when we offloaded and went closer on a smaller boat to Dawes Glacier.  We all tested NEGATIVE three days after the cruise.  Very few we’re wearing masks.   

4 hours ago, Virginia100 said:

What for? There is no benefit for anyone to publish this information. If you're not satisfied with the situation then don't cruise, it's as simple as that.

• Like 3

Reading all these threads on people getting COVID, you could be forgiven for thinking that pretty much everyone on the cruise must have contracted the virus.

The reality is that considering how many people are on each cruise, the likelihood of getting it is still very low. 

Take sensible precautions and accept the risk. 

• Like 5