Am I just a grumpy old man?

As I read post after post here, I have to ask a question - am I just a grumpy old man or what?

We're coming off of a global pandemic where for all intents and purposes the ENTIRE DAMN WORLD WAS SHUT DOWN FOR A FEW YEARS...and we have people endlessly griping about a) Regent Air sucks, b) Regent's wine sucks, c) Regent's service used to be good...now it sucks, d) Regent's shore excursions suck, e) fill in the blank sucks...

For the love of Pete, people, NCLH somehow managed to survive a complete shutdown of their core business for close to two years...and then had to ramp a global operation back up amid a looming global recession, worldwide supply chain issues, a vastly changed workforce, and numerous challenges that we probably don't even know exist - and we STILL have people on here whining about having to wait on hold longer than before, not getting the flights they want (an airline problem across the globe but somehow now Regent's fault), can't get the specific bottled water they just HAVE to have or they'll just die, I had to wear a mask on a bus in Bulgaria...

I, for one, am very happy that Regent didn't go the way of Crystal and all things considered is almost miraculously back to very close to their pre-pandemic levels of service.  My advice to people who aren't happy with the current state of affairs:  Either take a chill pill until things smooth out, choose another cruise line, or find another way to spend your vacation time and money.  All of this carping is really starting to get old...

Okay, sorry for the rant.  It's just so frustrating seeing everyone think global businesses like this can just flip a switch and make everything normal...now, where did I put MY chill pills?!?

• Like 66
  • Thanks 5

UUNetBill:

Before the deluge descends--

Thank you for being "Point" on expressing an opinion.  Sure, every Poster has his/her "story" of aspect(s) of a cruise that did not live up to pre-COVID standards; or dealing with a series of cruise cancelations. 

I have tried, sometimes without success, to put similar frustrations into context.  Fortunately, have been able to take one Post-shutdown Regent cruise; and eagerly anticipate another one in a few months. 

My chill pills will be at the ready.

Take care, and hope to see you in the near future. 

GOARMY!

We have loved our 337 Regent nights. We now have 2 recent (Spring 2022) Regent cruises under our belt. We have recognized the "world situation" and have given Regent a pass on some underperformance compared to our previous 17 Regent cruises. BUT, I have just made substantial final payments on 3 cruise. For these sums, I expect performance commensurate with that advertised.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

All valid points.  However, are we as passengers expected to still pay tens of thousands of dollars for cruises with sub standard service, sub standard food preparation and quality, sub standard wine selection (i.e. serving six year old Chardonnay 😳)?  Why are we the ones that are supposed to absorb the lack of trained personnel, chain supply problems, etc. etc. rather than the commercial entity.  Is Regent now a charity case that we are all expected to feel sorry for and support?   I can forgive many, many shortcomings but don’t ask me to pay pre-Covid prices for far less value.  A fool and his money are soon parted.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

We've had two cruises on Regent so far this year.  Splendor in March was indistinguishable from our pre-pandemic experience.  Navigator in June was not quite as good, but still at a level we found to be more than good enough.  We'll be on Voyager next month and we expect to have a great time.

• Like 1

Everyone wants good value for their money.  I remember during the early days of the pandemic many of the crew weren't able to go ashore so they couldn't fly home.  They were stuck on the cruise ships for months and I am sure many of them decided to take other jobs   I found the Regent crew members to be smart and capable so they would have the easiest time finding other work..  Regent clearly had some issues early in their restart, but I am happy that the reports have improved dramatically. We have several upcoming cruises, but we are also realistic that everything won't be perfect.  It never is.  We can't wait to get back to cruising on Regent.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I hope the people complaining here have taken the time to call Corporate first.....otherwise its mostly wasted effort.

I seriously don’t see anyone ‘complaining’ here, except for the people complaining about people complaining.  Other than that I only see people offering observations and opinions.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

As I read post after post here, I have to ask a question - am I just a grumpy old man or what?

Okay, sorry for the rant.  It's just so frustrating seeing everyone think global businesses like this can just flip a switch and make everything normal...now, where did I put MY chill pills?!?

I can see that if all this complaining doesn't stop, the next thing you know, people will be complaining about the internet speed on Regent's ships! Or people hogging chairs around the pool!  Or a dysfunctional web site! 😇  😉

There has been a lot of praise of Regent's service posted on CC during this pandemic, but when things don't go as expected I would like to know about that too.  I don't see a change in Regent's marketing materials now as opposed to pre-Covid.  So I wouldn't blame guests who pay high prices for having high expectations. 

• Like 4

I had a long reply in my head about the silliness of acting like advertising hype is a legally binding specification and a few other things but I decided to just say that I agree with Bill.

I'll be getting on Splendor tomorrow and I'll be prepared to ask twice for mixed nuts in my room, or return a bottle of corked wine.  I doubt if that will ruin my cruise though.  I will also expect the internet to suck.  It sucked my previous two cruises and I still paid for this one, so that's on me.

But, if they run out of Dover Sole in Compass Rose... OMG!

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

Regents wine sucked in 2019 so..

I know Regent has this faithful following that think they do no wrong but to some how say some of the described experiences are acceptable given the price they charge just doesn't hunt. 

Edited by RetiredandTravel
  • Like 1

CruiseCritic is one thing, but what we really object to is those passengers who we occasionally encounter on board who decide to unburden themselves incessantly, when we are simply interested in some stimulating conversation over drinks or dinner . 

That type of whiner normally includes one of the following phrases:

"We didn't encounter this on xxx line"

"Regent was so much better in the past"

"I can't understand why they don't ............"

When we politely raise the question as to who from Regent they have raised the specific issue(s) with, we are often met with a blank look or the phrase "Well I am sure they are already aware, so I am not wasting my time

During our Christmas cruise, which we thoroughly enjoyed, there were a number of issues. The Regent officers & crew tried their best to address the problems; many of which were a result of the pandemic and/or impositions from the countries/ports that the ship was trying to visit.

A minority of guests could not accept the situation and were very vocal. This included one particularly obnoxious man who, as well as being suddenly very active on a well known social media site, also loudly held court in the middle of the pool and around the loungers. He took every opportunity to publicly berate the Captain and others. The Captain was very patient ............... we would have locked the individual in the brig for the duration 🤨.

There is no excuse for rudeness or for airing your complaints in such a way that it disrupts others and spoils their enjoyment. Simply book an appointment to see the relevant Manager and calmly raise the issues that you would like resolved.

Fortunately the vast majority of other guests we meet on board Regent ships are excellent company and we have made many very good friends over the years.

........ and Bill, you do not appear to be either grumpy or old 😎

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

It has often been said that Regent monitors Cruise Critic so I think mentioning problems might be more beneficial than just telling the GM.  Some of the carping is annoying but I, for one, am glad to read all the posts.  I have not been able to cruise as I am now a single cruiser and the single supplements can be steep but when I can it will be with Regent no matter the hiccups.

• Like 2

If somebody else is cooking my meals, doing my laundry, making my bed, cleaning the bathroom and keeping my glass full of champagne, I'm happy as a clam.  On Regent, those things are done with class, elegance, and style.  You won't hear me complain.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

21 hours ago, GOARMY said:

I have tried, sometimes without success, to put similar frustrations into context.  Fortunately, have been able to take one Post-shutdown Regent cruise; and eagerly anticipate another one in a few months. 

My chill pills will be at the ready.

Take care, and hope to see you in the near future. 

GOARMY!

I know, I know...I shouldn't play into the chatter, but good Lord, it just hit me the other day...we should be thankful that we even have the opportunity to sail on a line like this and pamper ourselves a little bit after a lifetime of hard work.  In the grand scheme of things, the little foibles on board are just that - foibles.  At the end of the day, you're still on an amazing ship with an amazing crew going to amazing places.  You can wait another 3 or 4 minutes for a refill on your marginally acceptable wine at dinner.  🙂

21 hours ago, DeepFreeze63 said:

We have loved our 337 Regent nights. We now have 2 recent (Spring 2022) Regent cruises under our belt. We have recognized the "world situation" and have given Regent a pass on some underperformance compared to our previous 17 Regent cruises. BUT, I have just made substantial final payments on 3 cruise. For these sums, I expect performance commensurate with that advertised.

@DeepFreeze63 we met briefly on one cruise several years back and although we didn't spend a lot of time together you guys didn't strike me as the types to complain.  I'm sure after that many nights on board you've seen some changes - some for the better, some maybe not so much.  But the fact that you keep coming back to Regent speaks volumes to me.  I hope your upcoming cruises are all you anticipate - and more!

21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I agree with you Bill, but people are people. And..., the fares haven't gone down, have they? If they offered a 10% discount in recognition of the logistical difficulties of the post-pandemic hospitality industry, people would respond, I'm betting.

@Wendy The Wanderer no, fares haven't gone down.  And in some cases have gone up.  Some quite a bit.  And as much as I'd love a 10% rollback on my upcoming cruises, looking at it from a business angle I sure don't see that happening.  Fact is, we booked our cruise last January knowing that there'd be some hiccups - amazingly, there were very few.  We have two more booked - at whatever prices were current at the time.  But with prices climbing on almost everything all over the world, I don't see any price cuts on the horizon.

21 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

All valid points.  However, are we as passengers expected to still pay tens of thousands of dollars for cruises with sub standard service, sub standard food preparation and quality, sub standard wine selection (i.e. serving six year old Chardonnay 😳)?  Why are we the ones that are supposed to absorb the lack of trained personnel, chain supply problems, etc. etc. rather than the commercial entity.  Is Regent now a charity case that we are all expected to feel sorry for and support?   I can forgive many, many shortcomings but don’t ask me to pay pre-Covid prices for far less value.  A fool and his money are soon parted.

I think that everything is a matter of expectations.  I'd venture a guess that you'll hear more complaints from more seasoned Regent cruisers than you will from newer Regent cruisers...just because we have a wider frame of reference.  As I said, we had a few hiccups on our last cruise in January but nothing 'deal-breaking'.  Was the cruise 'substandard'?  Not to us, no.  Have there been problems with substandard experiences post-Covid?  Sure have according to some of the threads on here.  But I remember hearing rants about terrible cruises pre-Covid, too.  Makes me think that although Regent strives for excellence, sometimes it just doesn't come together.  It's just more annoying on a cruise because of the cost involved.  I honestly believe that service and amenities will reliably climb back up to pre-Covid levels...but I don't see any fare reductions in the cards.  Hell, EVERYTHING is more expensive than it was in 2019, and it's getting worse.  I just hope we can kind of hold the line on cruise fares...

20 hours ago, nonu731 said:

People on this forum definitely know how to complain BUT if you're paying the high prices, I definitely think it's fair to expect a high standard of service. 

I haven't looked lately, but it seems to me that prices have held steady on Silversea and Seabourn, and we all know what happened to Crystal (we'll see if the 'new' Crystal is able to regain the goodwill they had before).  There seem to be a lot of other options popping up in the premium and luxury cruise offerings - it'll be interesting to see how the pricing and service play out on some of these newcomers...

19 hours ago, Portolan said:

We've had two cruises on Regent so far this year.  Splendor in March was indistinguishable from our pre-pandemic experience.  Navigator in June was not quite as good, but still at a level we found to be more than good enough.  We'll be on Voyager next month and we expect to have a great time.

@Portolan keep us posted on your next cruise, please.  We don't sail again until January so hopefully things have smoothed out by then.  Of course, we're on Splendor again, so that's already a good sign.  🙂

19 hours ago, SC Retired Cruiser said:

Everyone wants good value for their money.  I remember during the early days of the pandemic many of the crew weren't able to go ashore so they couldn't fly home.  They were stuck on the cruise ships for months and I am sure many of them decided to take other jobs   I found the Regent crew members to be smart and capable so they would have the easiest time finding other work..  Regent clearly had some issues early in their restart, but I am happy that the reports have improved dramatically. We have several upcoming cruises, but we are also realistic that everything won't be perfect.  It never is.  We can't wait to get back to cruising on Regent.

Good attitude!  My feeling is that a bad day on board a Regent ship is much better a good day in the office.

18 hours ago, FengShui@Sea said:

I seriously don’t see anyone ‘complaining’ here, except for the people complaining about people complaining.  Other than that I only see people offering observations and opinions.

Maybe we're just offering our observations and opinions too?   🤣

17 hours ago, CruisetheCs said:

I can see that if all this complaining doesn't stop, the next thing you know, people will be complaining about the internet speed on Regent's ships! Or people hogging chairs around the pool!  Or a dysfunctional web site! 😇  😉

There has been a lot of praise of Regent's service posted on CC during this pandemic, but when things don't go as expected I would like to know about that too.  I don't see a change in Regent's marketing materials now as opposed to pre-Covid.  So I wouldn't blame guests who pay high prices for having high expectations. 

Slow internet?  Chair hogs?  Clunky web site?  That's it...I'm off to sail Carnival...

11 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

I had a long reply in my head about the silliness of acting like advertising hype is a legally binding specification and a few other things but I decided to just say that I agree with Bill.

I'll be getting on Splendor tomorrow and I'll be prepared to ask twice for mixed nuts in my room, or return a bottle of corked wine.  I doubt if that will ruin my cruise though.  I will also expect the internet to suck.  It sucked my previous two cruises and I still paid for this one, so that's on me.

But, if they run out of Dover Sole in Compass Rose... OMG!

Ha!  I always tell people not to expect to get any work done onboard...kind of sucks for those of us still working who need to be able to get some work done while we're gone.  I'd much rather be gone for 14-20 days with a few hours of work scattered in than resign myself to week long vacations completely unplugged...but that's just me.

Now about that Dover Sole shortage...horrors!!

8 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Regents wine sucked in 2019 so..

I know Regent has this faithful following that think they do no wrong but to some how say some of the described experiences are acceptable given the price they charge just doesn't hunt. 

You're not wrong about the wine in '19.  Ten years ago it was definitely better at the 'entry' or 'included' level - but the last few years we've found more OBC being throws our way that we used to spend on laundry, but now that laundry is included we can throw that money at better wine.  It seems to even out.

And as to the 'faithful following' - I think we're more realistic than say, oh, the Crystal crowd.  Or at least on par with any of the other lines cheerleaders.  I'd venture a guess that apples-to-apples, Regent is on the same price point as Seabourn, Silversea, and Crystal (both dead and resurrected) - and if the others offer more for less, well, there's your option.  We vote with our wallets, and I know that every few years I'll do a comparison with the other options and every time I land on Regent.  As always, your mileage may vary - but if you can find a line that suits you better for a better price, have at it.

2 hours ago, flossie009 said:

CruiseCritic is one thing, but what we really object to is those passengers who we occasionally encounter on board who decide to unburden themselves incessantly, when we are simply interested in some stimulating conversation over drinks or dinner . 

That type of whiner normally includes one of the following phrases:

"We didn't encounter this on xxx line"

"Regent was so much better in the past"

"I can't understand why they don't ............"

When we politely raise the question as to who from Regent they have raised the specific issue(s) with, we are often met with a blank look or the phrase "Well I am sure they are already aware, so I am not wasting my time

During our Christmas cruise, which we thoroughly enjoyed, there were a number of issues. The Regent officers & crew tried their best to address the problems; many of which were a result of the pandemic and/or impositions from the countries/ports that the ship was trying to visit.

A minority of guests could not accept the situation and were very vocal. This included one particularly obnoxious man who, as well as being suddenly very active on a well known social media site, also loudly held court in the middle of the pool and around the loungers. He took every opportunity to publicly berate the Captain and others. The Captain was very patient ............... we would have locked the individual in the brig for the duration 🤨.

There is no excuse for rudeness or for airing your complaints in such a way that it disrupts others and spoils their enjoyment. Simply book an appointment to see the relevant Manager and calmly raise the issues that you would like resolved.

Fortunately the vast majority of other guests we meet on board Regent ships are excellent company and we have made many very good friends over the years.

........ and Bill, you do not appear to be either grumpy or old 😎

Flossie - we seem to run into one or two of 'those people' every few cruises.  I swear, I want to walk up and slap some sense into their entitled heads.  But fortunately my mama raised me better than that.  🙂

Our last cruise, on day one, some loud obnoxious crone was unloading on this poor girl at the desk about how she 'had to get into her cabin immediately.  This delay is unacceptable!!' and many other, less polite statements and phrases, all at about a 127db screech.  After they escorted her away (presumably to her cabin, but in my mind it was a quick trip overboard) I actually went up to the girl at the desk and apologized - she was near tears, for something she had absolutely zero control over.  What the hell is wrong with people?!?

And yeah, I'm both grumpy and old.  And proud of both.

1 hour ago, Linda VH said:

It has often been said that Regent monitors Cruise Critic so I think mentioning problems might be more beneficial than just telling the GM.  Some of the carping is annoying but I, for one, am glad to read all the posts.  I have not been able to cruise as I am now a single cruiser and the single supplements can be steep but when I can it will be with Regent no matter the hiccups.

@Linda VH I agree that the single sups are too damn high, especially on the newer ships in the G and H cabins, which as I recall were originally designed to accommodate single cruisers.  But I guess if they can fill them with two guests paying full fare, why not, right?  Seems a shame to turn the single cruisers away, though.

39 minutes ago, jjs217 said:

If somebody else is cooking my meals, doing my laundry, making my bed, cleaning the bathroom and keeping my glass full of champagne, I'm happy as a clam.  On Regent, those things are done with class, elegance, and style.  You won't hear me complain.

Bam!  Mic drop.  🎤

• Like 6

UUNetBill, we could not agree with you more on all points.  We are so sick of the entitled and complainers.  People have complained about the covid testing prior to boarding and not are complaining that it is being stopped.  We are now being  pickier  what we read.

We are grateful to be retired and able to travel.

Life is to short ...........

Edited by Boats07
add comment
  • Like 3

We're fairly agnostic between the "luxury" group at this point really comes down to the itinerary.  I've been researching  a few cruises out in 23/24 and Regent quite consistently is a few grand higher than SS & SB.

Here is an example of Regent vs SS for a 14 night Australian cruise. The Explorer & Muse are fairly similar in age/style , SS now also includes excursions but SS stops at 9 ports Regent 10.   I backout the airfare and Regents Superior Suite (332 sq ft) is 26.6K and SS Deluxe Veranda (387 sq ft) is 21.8K - big difference.  Seabourn is about 19k but doesn't include excursions so add maybe 4k ~ 23K for 15 nights.

I  have found the Regent '24 prices to be very high, SS & SB don't have as much of their schedule out yet so we'll see how they compare.

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/EXP240105/summary?source=top results

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/sydney-to-auckland-sm240118014.html

https://www.seabourn.com/en_US/find-a-cruise/P4H15B/4411.html

We're all very fortunate to have such tough decisions.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

We're fairly agnostic between the "luxury" group at this point really comes down to the itinerary.  I've been researching  a few cruises out in 23/24 and Regent quite consistently is a few grand higher than SS & SB.

Here is an example of Regent vs SS for a 14 night Australian cruise. The Explorer & Muse are fairly similar in age/style , SS now also includes excursions but SS stops at 9 ports Regent 10.   I backout the airfare and Regents Superior Suite (332 sq ft) is 26.6K and SS Deluxe Veranda (387 sq ft) is 21.8K - big difference.  Seabourn is about 19k but doesn't include excursions so add maybe 4k ~ 23K for 15 nights.

I  have found the Regent '24 prices to be very high, SS & SB don't have as much of their schedule out yet so we'll see how they compare.

https://www.silversea.com/destinations/australia-new-zealand-cruise/sydney-to-auckland-sm240118014.html

Yeah, that's kind of my point - Regent will raise prices until they start driving people off, and then they'll adjust to stay in the sweet spot.  Business Economics 101.

I looked at the Ritz Carlton brochures, thought "Hey, these look cool" - and they are (or will be if they ever sail) but when you total it out it's quite a bit more than Regent, or at least it was the last time I looked.

The way I figure it, you can sail Royal Caribbean, you can move up to a premium line, you can move up to a luxury line, you can lease a yacht, you can buy a yacht, you can take your private A380 to the harbor to sail on your private yacht...there are levels, there are tiers, there is comfortable, there is wealthy, there is %$%& loaded, there is f%#$ you money, there is 'Elon, grab my bags, wouldya?'...we're at the point where a Regent cruise is a big spend for us, even in Cat F.  We enjoy being pampered.  Would we enjoy a 300' yacht with our own personal Michelin starred chef and unlimited massages from the Swedish Bikini Team?  Sure...but that's not realistic.

What kills me is the people on a Regent cruise who think they're at the 'Elon, grab my bags, wouldya?' level...and they're not, and never will be.  I've met people on board with a net worth over $300 million who were as down to earth as they come...my point, I guess, is that no matter what you're worth or what you're spending, you don't need to be an asshat.  

• Like 14

38 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

Sorry, I got on another side road on my last post...your comparison is valid - when everything else is equal except the price, people will vote with their wallets.  And if enough people abandon Regent to sail on one of the other lines, well, that's the market at work.  I've often considered Seabourn (still not sure about Silversea) and I've seen some interesting sailings, but when it's time to write the check we always write it to Regent.  Maybe it's a comfort level, maybe it's the feeling of family on board, maybe I just don't like change - but who knows - if Regent's prices get to high, I may try another line - and may like it more...

But you're right - we're all very, VERY fortunate to have such tough decisions.

• Like 3

According to posts on CC, no cruise line is operating with the pre-pandemic level of quality and service. And as you point out, it is not their fault if they can’t hire needed staff or get needed supplies now. All should know this, as it is likely that hospitality businesses in their own city are similarly not operating at pre-pandemic levels. So how could any cruise line operate at that level given the problems? They can’t. A knee jerk reaction is that the lines should lower prices to reflect this. But that is not an economic possibility because too many ships are sailing well below profitable occupancy. So all considering any cruise should know that in all probability, service and general quality will not be back to former levels. If people don’t accept the current reductions (at the same or higher price than before) the option is to avoid cruising. The Regent ads I get twice a week in the mail don’t help people understand the current situation. They contain the same language of luxury, service and quality as pre-pandemic.

• Like 3

Am late to this party - been traveling to our first Regent cruise in 4 years. Most everything has been said and in some cases better than I could. First to UUNetbill - bravo for putting it out there. Was past due. I will admit that I am a “glass half full person” but still find it difficult to understand the sense of entitlement displayed by some of our fellow passengers. Do we all want value for our money. Absolutely!  Do I think Regent is just trying to cut corners, save money, etc?  Absolutely not?  I will be getting on a Regent boat in a few hours - first time since 2018. I fully expect to thoroughly enjoy myself. If not, I will advise. Meanwhile, let’s all continue to expect the most out of the life we have left while at the same time being patient and tolerant of those around us. And while we are at it, let’s think good thoughts for those that have real problems. 

• Like 11