ArriveCAN app required for Canada

Arizona Wildcat

As others said it is the passengers to know the travel requirements.   The Summit Cruise to Greenland and Back as well as the New England Canada cruises are unique and may not be printed out in a easy to find location -   We should all agree Celebrity is not the best at messaging as I was sent a message that we require a Bermuda Travel Authorization for the Greenland Cruise.

It is posted as a requirement on the Alaska area but is real clear (at least in my mind) that CANADA REQUIRES -   and doesn't say if arriving from any specific port or location.  The link sends you to the ArriveCAN website where it will spell in detail  in more detail than any of us would wish to read, that you have to fill it out if ARRIVING INTO CANADA.

Canada requires arriving travelers to complete an entry form prior to arrival. The form can be found here.

It takes less than 5 minutes to fill out and much easier using the App because you just scan your passport and it imports all the passport details.

3 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was sent a message that we require a Bermuda Travel Authorization for the Greenland Cruise.

Didn't you hear? Bermuda just bought Greenland from Denmark. They traded the Triangle for it. 😁

4 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

Didn't you hear? Bermuda just bought Greenland from Denmark. They traded the Triangle for it. 😁

It is still showing on Cruise Planner on Day 3

Never knew Greenland had palm trees and beaches. 

F2947F03-D56E-43AF-A9FA-D4DAC057A15B.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

10 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

It is still showing on Cruise Planner on Day 3

Never knew Greenland had palm trees and beaches. 

F2947F03-D56E-43AF-A9FA-D4DAC057A15B.png

"Never knew Greenland had palm trees and beaches."

Course it does, why else would it be called Greenland? 🙂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, davekathy said:

I used one ArriveCAN app for both of us. Gives you the option to add additional travelers. 

Glad to hear this as we are set up to do the same. 

Purplsmurf- where is the information you posted from? I worried when I saw it and did a serious search and all I could find was the information I posted from the Canadian government website for ArriveCAN for cruising. 

16 hours ago, 5waldos said:

According to the Canadian website- groups do not need to use more than one ArriveCAN. 

"

c) Select travellers for this trip

If you’re travelling to Canada in a group and intend to stay together for the duration of your quarantine period, you do NOT need to create separate ArriveCAN accounts for each member. You can add up to eight travellers to your trip for the purpose of your ArriveCAN receipt. In order to do so, you need to share travel document information and COVID-19 proof of vaccination for each traveller within your account.

"

Unfortunately, this information is incorrect!

The website you have quoted (https://arrivein.com/immigration/how-to-use-arrivecan-to-enter-canada/) is not a Government of Canada website and should not be used as a guide for using ArriveCAN. The information on groups is only partially correct, as those included in a group submission must be family members and/or reside together. The factual information can be found on the GOC website https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html#travel-with-others. The details are as follows:

Families

As the primary traveller, you may provide travel information for yourself and for:

• your spouse or common law partner
  • your children (or children for whom you have legal guardianship), aged 18 years or younger
  • any other adult in your residence with the same travel destination in Canada

You can provide information for up to 8 travellers, including yourself, in a single submission.

Use this when:

• you'll all stay together at the same address for the entire quarantine or isolation period, if required and
  • you have their permission to collect and share this information

Include unvaccinated children or dependent adults in your submission regardless of their vaccination status.

• Like 1

On 7/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, Purplsmurf said:

I downloaded the app and have all of our information loaded. We sail from Seward to Vancouver and I was under the impression that we had to have everything filled out before we board the ship, but the earliest is 72 hours so It will have to be done on the ship. Am I understanding this correctly? We will enter by “marine” and “other” or “discretionary/optional travel”. Just want to get this right!

I think it will depend on the Itinerary.    On our Greenland 8/7 cruise our first Canadian port is day 3 so can file in advance.   On the 8/19 return it will be late in cruise so will have to fill out on ship.

Like you I've filled out everything except the last step of arrival port within 72 hours.    I did play around and put a date in within the 72 hour range and the final step is maybe 15 seconds and submit.

When on  Silhouette for the April TA we had to file a Spain TA and they had the computers in the Internet Cafe setup to access with no account.   When I went do to print mine I noticed they also had a link for ArriveCan with free access.  They also setup computers in the Conference area for guests to use. 

Fouremco- This appears to say that if you are traveling with others with the same vaccination status and traveling entirely together that you can include others. If the vaccination status is not the same, or if you will not be together for the entire trip, that you cannot be on the same ArriveCAN. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html#travel-with-others

The website you quote says:

Fully vaccinated travellers, families and groups

Find out if you qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption

If you're travelling with others, you can include multiple travellers in your ArriveCAN submission. However, if you do not travel together, update your travel submission with this change.

5 minutes ago, 5waldos said:

Fouremco- This appears to say that if you are traveling with others with the same vaccination status and traveling entirely together that you can include others. If the vaccination status is not the same, or if you will not be together for the entire trip, that you cannot be on the same ArriveCAN. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/services/arrivecan.html#travel-with-others

The website you quote says:

Fully vaccinated travellers, families and groups

Find out if you qualify for the fully vaccinated traveller exemption

If you're travelling with others, you can include multiple travellers in your ArriveCAN submission. However, if you do not travel together, update your travel submission with this change.

The portion of the webpage that you are quoting only provides the broad strokes. You then need to read further by clicking on "► Including multiple people in your submission" to get the full details.

In @Purplsmurf's case, what you have cited and even bolded certainly suggests that a single submission would suffice for her group of four family members travelling together. However, if you read the detailed instructions for including multiple people, her niece can not be included. To be eligible for inclusion, she must be the primary traveller's spouse or common law partner; or child aged 18 years or younger; or be an adult living in the primary traveller's residence. None of these conditions are met by the niece.

We are reading this differently. My reading of this is that if the vaccination status is not the same, the niece would need to meet the criteria you list. But if the group has the same status and will be traveling together, they can use a single ArriveCAN. 

We will find out on Thursday since I am including my sister in law on my application. She does not live with us but we are both vaccinated and will be traveling together the entire time. We will have time to complete a second ArriveCAN if needed. 

1 hour ago, 5waldos said:

We are reading this differently. My reading of this is that if the vaccination status is not the same, the niece would need to meet the criteria you list. But if the group has the same status and will be traveling together, they can use a single ArriveCAN. 

We will find out on Thursday since I am including my sister in law on my application. She does not live with us but we are both vaccinated and will be traveling together the entire time. We will have time to complete a second ArriveCAN if needed. 

Please let me know how It goes. We travel the following week 

Direct Quote on ArriveCAN application:

"People traveling together with the same purpose of travel and who plan to be at the same location for the full duration of their quarantine period can be listed below (up to 8 travellers) and can enter Canada together using the same ArriveCAN E-receipt. Exemptions will be confirmed at the time of entry. "

Also as a heads up- you are allowed to complete the ArriveCAN 72 hours in advance of travel but you need to wait until 72 hours before your actual time of arrival. I just completed it (figuring that it let me so it was okay) but then realized that it was actually timed on my receipt.  So it is times for 4:30 when I don't arrive until 15:00. Will have to go back and redo it later today but that should take about 2 minutes. 

Edited by 5waldos

On 7/17/2022 at 8:50 PM, 5waldos said:

How did this go? Did you include your SIL and was it accepted?

Boarded Millenium today. ArriveCAN wasn’t needed to board. They just asked if we had the app. I was told I wouldn’t be able to board the ship without having filled it out, but that wasn’t the case. Oh Yeah, I was able to have my niece on the same one with us.🤷🏻‍♀️

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

Boarded Millenium today. ArriveCAN wasn’t needed to board. They just asked if we had the app. I was told I wouldn’t be able to board the ship without having filled it out, but that wasn’t the case. Oh Yeah, I was able to have my niece on the same one with us.🤷🏻‍♀️

In theory at least information you have posted is not accurate. We just boarded an AK cruise in Vancouver. Was told you DO need to have ArrivCan completed to board the ship but do not have to show it because it is linked to your passport. So supposedly the government of Canada will know which pasengers trying to board the ship have not completed ArrivCan and they will be prevented from boarding.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

In theory at least information you have posted is not accurate. We just boarded an AK cruise in Vancouver. Was told you DO need to have ArrivCan completed to board the ship but do not have to show it because it is linked to your passport. So supposedly the government of Canada will know which pasengers trying to board the ship have not completed ArrivCan and they will be prevented from boarding. In addition I have been told that if you have not completed ArriveCan you could face penalties when/if your ship disembarks in Canada. I would guess, however, that enforcement is rare...so you are probably correct.

36 minutes ago, edgee said:

In theory at least information you have posted is not accurate. We just boarded an AK cruise in Vancouver. Was told you DO need to have ArrivCan completed to board the ship but do not have to show it because it is linked to your passport. So supposedly the government of Canada will know which pasengers trying to board the ship have not completed ArrivCan and they will be prevented from boarding. In addition I have been told that if you have not completed ArriveCan you could face penalties when/if your ship disembarks in Canada. I would guess, however, that enforcement is rare...so you are probably correct.

This then should be interesting to watch how Celebrity spreads the word about the ArriveCan app to all of the (non-Cruise Critic enlightened) passengers that will be boarding the 12 day Summit cruise embarking next week in NJ to Canada, Greenland and Iceland with some folks staying on for the follow-on 12 day cruise back the same route, to include the same Canadian ports, but instead disembarking in Boston.

We’ll have our ArriveCan app updated, of course, when we board plus I would imagine everyone on the Roll Call and those folks who might already know about this Canadian requirement if they’re planning to temporarily go ashore at a Canadian port along the way.

But, at the same time, we don’t board the ship until next Sunday. So Celebrity still has plenty of time to send out a procedural email to the 1,500-2,000 folks that will be embarking with us in NJ and also to those passengers boarding in Reykjavik, Iceland for the follow-on cruise back to Boston. Hopefully, for those that don’t get the word prior to boarding, they’ll be able to upload and subsequently update the ArriveCan app while onboard using, at a minimum, the Basic Internet package many folks will probably only have access to. After all, I would imagine for those folks arriving in Reykjavik, many won’t have “free” access to the internet to download the app until they board the ship.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

On 7/16/2022 at 5:52 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

Purplsmurf- I have answered multiple times.  Very politely that ArriveCAN is an app.  Celebrity is an app.  They have nothing to do with each other.  But both are required.  That is why I kept explaining you and your DW need to complete it.  Your adult son and niece each need to do it as well on their own.  You each need to show it to CBP in Canada.   Others as well sent you copies of the Government of Canada rules.

What is important is you will not be allowed to board a cruise that ports in Canada unless you ALL complete the app.

Nobody has ever done ArriveCAN before it is new.

Hope you figure this out.  Possibly your son or neice can help.

Happy cruising.

well a lot of folks are used to doing checkin for cruising on line and printing out the information

Perhaps he or she wanted to also do this for  ArriveCan but is sounds like the app is the best thing

I have to do this in later August for Alaska and then again in 3 weeks for East coast Canada.

I wonder if some information will copy over or will the 2nd trip require me to start over with covid and passport information.

sure wish Canada would stop all this crap anyways.  Pity folks who do not have a smartphone.  Then again I guess they could use a tablet.

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

well a lot of folks are used to doing checkin for cruising on line and printing out the information

Perhaps he or she wanted to also do this for  ArriveCan but is sounds like the app is the best thing

I have to do this in later August for Alaska and then again in 3 weeks for East coast Canada.

I wonder if some information will copy over or will the 2nd trip require me to start over with covid and passport information.

sure wish Canada would stop all this crap anyways.  Pity folks who do not have a smartphone.  Then again I guess they could use a tablet.

App should have passport and vaccine info as well as individual family member profiles saved so 2nd ArriveCan is quick and easy. That was my experience.

7 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

All that information is stored and all you have to do is update the new trip information.

As for getting rid of 'this crap' not likely anytime soon. And if they do eventually get rid of ArriveCAN it will likely be replaced by another electronic entry app.  They may drop the vaccination requirement at some point when and if Health Canada decides that course of action is warranted (And remember, their job is to protect the health of the Canadian populace, not to make travel more convenient). But even if they do drop the vaccine requirement mobile entry apps are hear to stay so we as travellers better get used to them.

Happy Travels in the new 21st century!

14 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

When you arrived at your point of entry in Canada, you needed to show your ArriveCan receipt and also fill in the form for Canadian Immigration and Customs.

If this was at the Vancouver Airport, those kiosks that you used to scan your passport automatically pulled your ArriveCan information and the C&I form (if you filled out online before arrival) that was tied to your passport. Your photo was taken and a receipt issued with your photo to hand to the Canadian officer before exiting to the baggage claim area.

After baggage claim, you went through US Custos and Immigration who asked your travel plans.  The information that you were cruising on the Millennium was entered into the information linked to your passport.

So while you were not asked for the ArriveCan at the dock, your passport was scanned and all the information appeared.

12 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This then should be interesting to watch how Celebrity spreads the word about the ArriveCan app to all of the (non-Cruise Critic enlightened) passengers that will be boarding the 12 day Summit cruise embarking next week in NJ to Canada, Greenland and Iceland with some folks staying on for the follow-on 12 day cruise back the same route, to include the same Canadian ports, but instead disembarking in Boston.

We’ll have our ArriveCan app updated, of course, when we board plus I would imagine everyone on the Roll Call and those folks who might already know about this Canadian requirement if they’re planning to temporarily go ashore at a Canadian port along the way.

But, at the same time, we don’t board the ship until next Sunday. So Celebrity still has plenty of time to send out a procedural email to the 1,500-2,000 folks that will be embarking with us in NJ and also to those passengers boarding in Reykjavik, Iceland for the follow-on cruise back to Boston. Hopefully, for those that don’t get the word prior to boarding, they’ll be able to upload and subsequently update the ArriveCan app while onboard using, at a minimum, the Basic Internet package many folks will probably only have access to. After all, I would imagine for those folks arriving in Reykjavik, many won’t have “free” access to the internet to download the app until they board the ship.

I had a call from the Shoreside Concierge on Wednesday and part of her reminders is that we have to fill out the "Arrrrvvv Can" or however you pronounce it 72 hours prior to your first port in Canada and may be required to board if first Canadian Port is within that 72 hours. 

I told her many on CruiseCritic were confused as no official communications has come out.   She said well they should send something out next week.     I thought to my self I won't hold my breath. 

If this is still being debated- we had several non related adults on our ArriveCAN. As long as you are all vaccinated, and following the same trip plan, this is fine. Up to 8 of you in a group. Also chatted with an airline employee who has done this dozens of times. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had a call from the Shoreside Concierge on Wednesday and part of her reminders is that we have to fill out the "Arrrrvvv Can" or however you pronounce it 72 hours prior to your first port in Canada and may be required to board if first Canadian Port is within that 72 hours. 

I told her many on CruiseCritic were confused as no official communications has come out.   She said well they should send something out next week.     I thought to my self I won't hold my breath. 

Thanks for mentioning it. Like I said it will be interesting to see what Celebrity will do. Just from over here in the peanut gallery, you would think they could resolve this "information sharing" issue by just adding "& Canada" to the title of their existing "Alaska & Pacific Coastal & Canada Travel Requirements as of July 12, 2022" section. But that would be too easy. 😂

Travel Requirements for Alaska Cruises | Celebrity Cruises

• Haha 1