ArriveCAN app required for Canada

Arizona Wildcat

21 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Thanks for mentioning it. Like I said it will be interesting to see what Celebrity will do. Just from over here in the peanut gallery, you would think they could resolve this "information sharing" issue by just adding "& Canada" to the title of their existing "Alaska & Pacific Coastal & Canada Travel Requirements as of July 12, 2022" section. But that would be too easy. 😂

Travel Requirements for Alaska Cruises | Celebrity Cruises

Celebrity does not understand "easy."

Do not understand what information would be shared by Celebrity to Canada? 

Celebrity agreed that they would verify that each passenger complied with the testing (etc.) rule from Canada.  Which is pretty close to Celebrity's own rule with small differences on a COR that someone else found.

Passport info is on both.  You certify you are fully vaccinated to both.  

FWIW each time you present your passport to Canada that crossing info is shared with USA CBP and vice versa.

• Like 1

BTW I just did my edocs for Quantum OTS (RCI) and no mention of ARRive Can.

Oh boy wonder how boarding at the end of August will go.

And I still think ARRiveCan is bunch of nonsense unless they do not trust the cruise lines information that is provided.  

1 hour ago, Oceansaway17 said:

And I still think ARRiveCan is bunch of nonsense unless they do not trust the cruise lines information that is provided.  

I think you misunderstand.  ArriveCAN is required for anyone entering Canada via anything from walking to flying.  It has nothing to do with cruising.   It preclears you with Canada customs by providing required info to enter.  We lived for a while near the border and filled out an update every time we crossed.  Only took 5 minutes to set up and 1 mi use to update 

Also the cruiselines cannot legally share personal covid and passport data with Canada.

The PROBLEM - There is no mention of it by Celebrity.  Agree some Alaska boarding in Seward and Seattle have not been good.  Any confusion is the fault of Celebrity. 

For example the Celebrity website gives no info on my upcoming Iceland cruise.  Zero.  Nothing about any requirements.

Why?  Several have email the CEOs office.  No reply yet 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I think you misunderstand.  ArriveCAN is required for anyone entering Canada via anything from walking to flying.  It has nothing to do with cruising.   It preclears you with Canada customs by providing required info to enter.  We lived for a while near the border and filled out an update every time we crossed.  Only took 5 minutes to set up and 1 mi use to update 

I have not misunderstood at all.

I believe the app has to be done before you board the ship since ship stops in Victoria.

They will not let you board without it.

then again rules changing so much how can we keep up

On 7/29/2022 at 8:38 PM, edgee said:

In theory at least information you have posted is not accurate. We just boarded an AK cruise in Vancouver. Was told you DO need to have ArrivCan completed to board the ship but do not have to show it because it is linked to your passport. So supposedly the government of Canada will know which pasengers trying to board the ship have not completed ArrivCan and they will be prevented from boarding.

Yes this is what I thought too.

my RCI cruise out of Seattle has nothing in the Eric’s about needing to app completed

What a mess it needs to end IMHO

3 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

Yes this is what I thought too.

my RCI cruise out of Seattle has nothing in the Eric’s about needing to app completed

What a mess it needs to end IMHO

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but does it not state in the T&Cs that pax are required to have all of the necessary docs required for their sailing in order to board? And it is up to the pax to find out what those docs include? In other words, it's YOUR responsibility. Not the cruise lines. And where do you get off telling the federal government of another country what their entry requirements should be and when or if they should end? All you had to do, since you would be entering Canada, was to go to the website on Canadian entry requirements and you would have found all the info you needed.

Edited by mom says
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 4:39 PM, mom says said:

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but does it not state in the T&Cs that pax are required to have all of the necessary docs required for their sailing in order to board? And it is up to the pax to find out what those docs include? In other words, it's YOUR responsibility. Not the cruise lines. And where do you get off telling the federal government of another country what their entry requirements should be and when or if they should end? All you had to do, since you would be entering Canada, was to go to the website on Canadian entry requirements and you would have found all the info you needed.

I think they need to add words for Alaska and New England cruises that specifically TELLS about ArriveCan.

I mean standard language after a while is skipped over.  I think people feel responsibility is ab out stuff related to vaccine and tests.   Only some cruises need additional information like Canada and Bermuda and so I feel they should make an effort to highlight it as I feel there could be anxious moments at the pier.  Afterall, it does effect the cruiselines for boarding for these cruises.

On 7/30/2022 at 3:42 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

But what you feel about ArriveCAN does not matter in the slightest. Just like what I think about the U.S.'s various entry rules for foreigners does not matter in the least to the rule makers in your government. When in Rome ...

• Like 2

So I am familiar with the ArriveCan app because I’ve used it several times to cross the border by land. However, we received an email from Celebrity - Before arriving to the pier, all guests will need to complete an entry form with specific information regarding your visit to Canada. 
I’m thinking we don’t need to do this because we are Canadian and we’re flying within Canada, but can someone confirm this?
We are on the Eclipse that leaves/returns from/to Vancouver.

11 minutes ago, bellemiche said:

So I am familiar with the ArriveCan app because I’ve used it several times to cross the border by land. However, we received an email from Celebrity - Before arriving to the pier, all guests will need to complete an entry form with specific information regarding your visit to Canada. 
I’m thinking we don’t need to do this because we are Canadian and we’re flying within Canada, but can someone confirm this?

The information is here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

I assume Eclipse is going to Alaska which would make it an international cruise. Look under international cruises that depart from Canada.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DirtyDawg said:

The information is here: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/cruise

I assume Eclipse is going to Alaska which would make it an international cruise. Look under international cruises that depart from Canada.

Thank you! We do need to fill it out. 

All travellers are required to:

• complete ArriveCAN no more than 72 hours of initially boarding the cruise. This includes:
    • any traveller who recently submitted ArriveCAN to enter Canada via land or air
    • Canadians embarking on an international cruise from Canada that will return to Canada

13 hours ago, bellemiche said:

If you are returning to Vancouver having been out of the country (cruising to USA then back to Canada counts), you will need to complete the ArriveCan. If your trip went from home in Canada directly to Vancouver, then on to Alaska where you disembarked, you would not need the ArriveCAN for the cruise. You WOULD need to be tested for CoVid before boarding the cruise ship, where ever it went (this is a Canadian regulation- your cruiseline probably requires this too). . When you took your trip home to Canada, then you would need ArriveCan since you were coming to Canada from outside. 

Edited by 5waldos

49 minutes ago, djthird2 said:

We were on Solstice last week with a stop in Victoria BC.  We did stop in the evening. We walked right through the Canadian entrance with no one in sight checking the Arrivecan.

Exactly what happened to us when our Alaskan cruise on the Millennium ended in Vancouver - only thing we had to do was hand our customs declaration form to the Canadian official, didn't even have to stop, just slowed down, handed it to him, he glanced at it and off to the taxi we went.  From what I can gather, the "workings" of ArriveCan are all behind the scenes........so that supposedly, if someone had not done what they needed to do, there would be a flag somewhere and you'd be notified/tackled 😛.

Edited by lexmiller
spelling

I really dislike the app, it really hasn't sped anything up for me personally coming back into Canada and not to mention there have been a lot of glitches with it - oh and when Rogers cellular went out, so did the app lol

And I'll say this, I'm dreading the customs line at Pearson because the airport is slow normally and right now it's one of the worst. Add this app that doesn't work very well it's not the greatest. Next cruise I'm flying out of Detroit, I'll still have to do the app but at least less painful

Edited by Lena11033

I’ve been told there are no stupid questions - but we all know that there are - so here is one — I have filled out all of the vaccination information and then stopped when it came to the questions about current health because I thought I needed to fill that out within 72 hours of arrival in Victoria. Am I wrong? Do I have to fill out the whole thing prior to boarding in Seattle? Thank you for taking the time to answer so I can quit worrying.

2 minutes ago, techteach said:

I’ve been told there are no stupid questions - but we all know that there are - so here is one — I have filled out all of the vaccination information and then stopped when it came to the questions about current health because I thought I needed to fill that out within 72 hours of arrival in Victoria. Am I wrong? Do I have to fill out the whole thing prior to boarding in Seattle? Thank you for taking the time to answer so I can quit worrying.

Within 72 hours prior to boarding.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:01 AM, djthird2 said:

We were on Solstice last week with a stop in Victoria BC.  We did stop in the evening. We walked right through the Canadian entrance with no one in sight checking the Arrivecan.

Your ArriveCAN was confirmed when you boarded the ship. No NEED to check it when you got off the ship. Nobody was (supposed to be) allowed to board the ship without ArriveCAN. Since it is linked to your pasport, assume that is when your passport was checked 

• Like 2

On 8/2/2022 at 1:01 PM, djthird2 said:

You missed the point.  ArriveCAN provides Canada with passenger passport and covid data that Canada requires for EVERY entry.

Celebrity is required to prepare a passenger manifest with the names and passport data for everyone on board.

Thus nobody needs to check at the ports.  Already done.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, techteach said:

You download the app.  Fill out the traveller information ONCE.  Covid and passport.

Then before you board a cruise ship of otherwise enter Canada- fly, drive, walk - you enter the date and entry point as an update EVERY TIME YOU ENTER CANADA. Takes 2 minutes or less.

• Like 3

As with. any travel abroad, the traveler, YOU, are responsible for finding out what documents are required for travel by your transportation carrier and the countries you will be entering. 

We visited Canada last fall and no one held our hand and told us to complete the ArriveCAN requirements.  

But, as regular travelers, we checked the airline and the Canada requirements, just as we do for every other trip, cruise or land.,

• Like 1