ArriveCAN app required for Canada

Arizona Wildcat

If I remember correctly, we just filled it out using the first port we are visiting on our upcoming Summit cruise, the Halifax Marine Terminal; although we later stop at St John’s before heading to Greenland. It was pretty simple, but having our cruise confirmation sheet nearby helped us to finish the itinerary portion of the form relatively quickly.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If I remember correctly, we just filled it out using the first port we are visiting on our upcoming Summit cruise, the Halifax Marine Terminal; although we later stop at St John’s before heading to Greenland. It was pretty simple, but having our cruise confirmation sheet nearby helped us to finish the itinerary portion of the form relatively quickly.

Thanks. That was my thinking but wanted tp make sure. Our first Canada port will be Saint John. I  always have the entire itinerary for all our cruises, but a good idea for those that don't.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Purplsmurf said:

We just got off of Millennium today in Vancouver. When we boarded the ship we didn’t need ArriveCAN nor did we need it when we got off. All we needed was the customs declaration that we got in our cabin. 🤷🏻‍♀️

You were supposed to have filled it out within 72 hours of boarding in Alaska. Matter of enforcement or not by Canadian authorities.

1 hour ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Did you fill it out and they never looked at it?  I presumed that they would be checking in Seward.  I am on the 8/12 sailing and have completed it as far I can for now.  

From my recent experience flying to and cruising RT from Vancouver, they do not look at your ArriveCAN. For example, when I landed in Vancouver I did not show my ArriveCAN at immigration. Was told that since I had submitted it, it was electronically tied to my passport such that some sort of alarm would have gone off in the system if I had entered my passport into the computer with no ArriveCAN electronically linked to it. Not sure how sophisticated the tracking for cruisers is, however.

Edited by edgee
clarity
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Purplsmurf said:

We just got off of Millennium today in Vancouver. When we boarded the ship we didn’t need ArriveCAN nor did we need it when we got off. All we needed was the customs declaration that we got in our cabin. 🤷🏻‍♀️

To be clear, did you never download, or fill in the app?

If you did complete the app information, no one would ask to look at it because, as stated by others, it is tied in with your passport information.

Edited by sippican
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, davekathy said:

Is the requirement to fill out the ArriveCAN for each port visiting in Canada or just the first port? 

It is required when entering Canada from another country. Depends on the itinerary. If Canada to Canada ports,  my understanding is no.

37 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

It is required when entering Canada from another country. Depends on the itinerary. If Canada to Canada ports,  my understanding is no.

Yep. I've got the AriveCAN app down loaded and have started filling it out. That's my understanding also. But I wanted to hear it from others. 

I think it is somewhat confusing but liked to passport makes sense.

I downloaded App today and  filled out all info I could.  We do not fly to Vancouver until Sat. 8/20.  So will complete 72 hrs before - I was never good with the math for 2 day testing before a cruise LOL.  So plane lands in Vancouver on 8/20 - I fill out form on Wednesday the 17th or would that be 18th???

Thanks

4 minutes ago, gardenbunny said:

I think it is somewhat confusing but liked to passport makes sense.

I downloaded App today and  filled out all info I could.  We do not fly to Vancouver until Sat. 8/20.  So will complete 72 hrs before - I was never good with the math for 2 day testing before a cruise LOL.  So plane lands in Vancouver on 8/20 - I fill out form on Wednesday the 17th or would that be 18th???

Thanks

No experience yet, but I would complete the requirement on the 17th. 

Just boarded the Summit for our cruise to Canada, Greenland and Iceland. We did not need to show our ArriveCan QR code at checkin, just our passport, CDC card and negative antigen test. But as others have mentioned, the crosschecking is probably done behind the scenes and we would probably have heard something different when we checked in if we hadn’t already filled out the ArriveCan information, to include the itinerary section.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/7/2022 at 4:28 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Just boarded the Summit for our cruise to Canada, Greenland and Iceland. We did not need to show our ArriveCan QR code at checkin, just our passport, CDC card and negative antigen test. But as others have mentioned, the crosschecking is probably done behind the scenes and we would probably have heard something different when we checked in if we hadn’t already filled out the ArriveCan information, to include the itinerary section.

Just to follow up as we just docked in Halifax this morning and since there was no line at Guest Services, I thought I’d stop by and ask about ArriveCan just to see how it works.

First off, as I mentioned above, they did not check for our QR code at the pier on embarkation day in NJ to see if we had filled out the ArriveCan information.

However, when the ship arrived in Halifax this morning, the Canadian Customs folks came onboard with access to their ArriveCan database in hand. They then proceeded to cross reference it with the passport numbers of the registered passengers onboard. If there were mismatches and/or it seemed pertinent to interview some of the passengers, they would then perform any necessary interviews before clearing the ship.

And, no, the GS person I talked with did not have any counts of how many passengers hadn’t filled out the ArriveCan forms prior to arriving in Halifax nor how many were interviewed. But I’m sure there were a few.

Help please.  What am I missing?  On the arriveCan it asks where I will be for the next 14 days in Canada?  I will be on the dang ship.  It wants an address.  Use Canada Place????  p.s.  I am on a one way from Seward.

Edited by Dancing Shoes

56 minutes ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Help please.  What am I missing?  On the arriveCan it asks where I will be for the next 14 days in Canada?  I will be on the dang ship.  It wants an address.  Use Canada Place????  p.s.  I am on a one way from Seward.

That is what I would do. When I used ArriveCan a few weeks ago it refused to offer Canada Place as a port of entry..it offered "Vancouver Cruise Ship Operations" which had the same address as Canada Place. They don't make it easy.

What an app.  Geeze.  I had to look the address up, as it wants the zip code.  The address is listed as, 999 Canda Place.  I'm sure One Canada Place would work.  Yes, I had to use Vancouver Cruise Ship Operations at the beginning of the process.  

Edited by Dancing Shoes