Warning if your about to cruise on Coral.

Interested to hear how the current passengers are finding their cruise now that you have finally made it onboard. We are sailing in 2 weeks.

Are you noticing much in the way of curtailment of services? What is the vibe on how Princess is handling the covid in the crew issue? Are you enjoying it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NSWP said:

So after all the hype and excitement re Coral in the last few days, where are the people. Are they still asleep? Wake up and send us some reports, lol.

My friend said she didn't receive my texts sent during the last cruise until after she disembarked in Brisbane.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

My friend said she didn't receive my texts sent during the last cruise until after she disembarked in Brisbane.  

Ahh, Should have kept the carrier pidgeon's. Interestingly, my wife was chasing up our shareholder OBC last week and was advised she could FAX the paperwork thru. She did point out that in this modern age of wifi Princess Medallion, it seems odd that they still use fax. Notice the policy allows you to use email now but at your own risk.

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

The disadvantage of being in flight mode to stay connected to medallion and their internet. Messenger would work though.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, arxcards said:

The disadvantage of being in flight mode to stay connected to medallion and their internet. Messenger would work though.

Perhaps nobody has taken the wifi package.

5 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Perhaps nobody has taken the wifi package.

A significant number of the passengers have it included in their "plus" fare. I just hope they are making up for lost time and too busy having fun.

• Like 1

I had a bit of time this morning so I perused the Coral Princess reviews here on Cruise Critic.  Several scathing reviews by Aussies cruising on Coral in the past few weeks.  But then you look at the reviews prior to the ship getting here, generally very good. What is going on ? 

11 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I had a bit of time this morning so I perused the Coral Princess reviews here on Cruise Critic.  Several scathing reviews by Aussies cruising on Coral in the past few weeks.  But then you look at the reviews prior to the ship getting here, generally very good. What is going on ? 

I haven't read the reviews you mention, but maybe some of the problems are caused by COVID and also some new staff.

1 minute ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't read the reviews you mention, but maybe some of the problems are caused by COVID and also some new staff.

Have a read, partly covid and new staff but bad reports of food, entertainment, poor service.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

If she had her phone in flight mode then she wouldn't get texts until she turned flight mode off. SMS works through the phone system not the internet.

Just now, NSWP said:

Member cruise reviews top of header page.

Thanks. I'll have a look.

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago, we found service to be at its usual high standard although a couple of the waiters in the MDR appeared to be new to the job. Still OK. Our cabin steward was excellent. Food was good as usual. Entertainment - three production shows (Encore, Soul Music and On the Bayou) in seven days was pretty good, but the guest comedian was woeful. The Cruise Director wasn't happy with him either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Thanks. I'll have a look.

On our cruise a couple of weeks ago, we found service to be at its usual high standard although a couple of the waiters in the MDR appeared to be new to the job. Still OK. Our cabin steward was excellent. Food was good as usual. Entertainment - three production shows (Encore, Soul Music and On the Bayou) in seven days was pretty good, but the guest comedian was woeful. The Cruise Director wasn't happy with him either.

I concur.

Drinks service in Crooners was a bit slow on a couple of evenings when it was very crowded but, apart from the woeful Plus wine list, that was the only negative. 

Over the years of cruising on Princess I've noticed the food does vary from ship to ship. I'd rank Coral in the top three. 

• Like 3

I read the reviews. I didn't actually count the negative comments v. positive, but I feel there were more positive comments than negative and even those who had negative comments in their review, also had some positive comments in that same review.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I read the reviews. I didn't actually count the negative comments v. positive, but I feel there were more positive comments than negative and even those who had negative comments in their review, also had some positive comments in that same review.

I rarely take too much notice of reviews these days as more people will leave a review to complain than they will to praise, so the results are always skewed.

• Like 2

If I wanted to be picky, I could say that the dinner service on the first night was very slow (I believe inexperienced waiters); terrible comedian that night; on our balcony there was an area that made a 'bang' noise if we stepped on it (learned to step over that bit); I had to queue for probably 15 minutes at the service desk; (I am trying now to think of more things I could complain about); I didn't like the wine served at the Captain's Circle Club cocktail party but I had to have three glasses to make sure of my assessment 😁; what else? It is a long way to walk in the terminal to get to the ship; the decaf coffee served in the dining room is undrinkable in my opinion, whereas the decaf in the Horizon Court is OK - well not worse than the ordinary coffee.

However, I don't feel that any of those factors I mention would be worth complaining about and I only list them to show the tiny aspects of any cruise that might be only 90% of what you hope for and not 100%.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I had a giggle at the person who commented about the fares being expensive. I thought the fares for these restart cruises were very reasonable compared with cruises we've booked previously. We've been able to indulge in booking suites and mini-suites which were well out of our price range in the past.

Fares are going to go up over time. Even before the pandemic fares were higher than when we started cruising in 2014.

• Like 1

Oh, yes. I could complain that our mini bar didn't have any scotch or brandy because they didn't have any in stock. We were given extra vodka and gin. Once again, I don't feel this is a reason to complain. We all know there are supply issues with all sorts of products.

19 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I had a giggle at the person who commented about the fares being expensive. I thought the fares for these restart cruises were very reasonable compared with cruises we've booked previously. We've been able to indulge in booking suites and mini-suites which were well out of our price range in the past.

Fares are going to go up over time. Even before the pandemic fares were higher than when we started cruising in 2014.

I agree with you. I thought we got an exceptionally good price for seven nights in a mini suite - $1,150 each, twin share with a few OBCs ($210) that reduced the price even further.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

If she had her phone in flight mode then she wouldn't get texts until she turned flight mode off. SMS works through the phone system not the internet.

I doubt she had her phone on flight mode as she is a Brisbane resident.