Wonder of the Seas versus other cruise ships for kids

We are planning a cruise to take our grand kids (boys ages 8, 10 and 12) and the parents for next summer.  I watched a YouTube tour of the Wonder of the Seas and it looks perfect for our grandsons - especially the ice rink, water slides, rock climbing wall and miniature golf.  However, it looks like the maximum number of people per cabin is 4 thus we would require adjoining cabins for the parents and the the 3 boys.  From looking at the RCL web site it does not appear that there are any adjoining cabins available for next summer on the WOS.  I was wondering if there are any other RCL or other cruise ships that would be good substitutes for the WOS.  If so, what would be the tradeoffs by going with an alternative ship?

23 minutes ago, rjp50 said:

We are planning a cruise to take our grand kids (boys ages 8, 10 and 12) and the parents for next summer.  I watched a YouTube tour of the Wonder of the Seas and it looks perfect for our grandsons - especially the ice rink, water slides, rock climbing wall and miniature golf.  However, it looks like the maximum number of people per cabin is 4 thus we would require adjoining cabins for the parents and the the 3 boys.  From looking at the RCL web site it does not appear that there are any adjoining cabins available for next summer on the WOS.  I was wondering if there are any other RCL or other cruise ships that would be good substitutes for the WOS.  If so, what would be the tradeoffs by going with an alternative ship?

I wouldn't rule out the WOS, have your TA check into it, there may be adjoining cabins available.  What sailing did you check?

Wonder of the Seas is the new hotness.  You'll pay a premium to sail on her so demand for her will be high.  If you want a similar experience, any of the Oasis class will have many of the same features.  It really depends on your grand kids, but my nieces (they were 15, 11 and 8 at the time) went on Grandeur in 2018 and they loved it even though that is the oldest ship in the fleet with limited amenities compared with the newer ships.  You also shouldn't discount the Quantum class as they have a couple things the Oasis class does not have (like IFLY, Bumper cars and the North Star).  Even the older Freedom and Voyager class has many things for kids like waterslides, ice rinks,  and laser tag.  I would not pigeonhole yourself to the newest and best because you think there will be nothing for kids on the older ships.  
There's plenty of activities on all the ships.

• Like 2

Our teens were 13 and 14 when we did two cruises on the Liberty and they loved all the amenities on that boat. They did rock climbing, water slides, ice skating, pools, plus shows, etc. They were never bored on that ship and it wasn't particularly new at the time we were on it (2018 and 2019).

I think older ships have tons for kids to do on them. We've always sailed by price, so we haven't even been on the newest and biggest yet (about to go on Ovation in September and looking forward to that).

Why do you need connecting cabins? We cruised with my parents, our family of 7 had connecting cabins, my parents were thrilled not to be connecting since it feels like just one cabin and they enjoyed a break from us.

2 hours ago, rjp50 said:

All other oasis class ships besides allure will give you everything you listed (allure only missing the slides).   In fact the kids may love the flowrider (surf simulator), and wonder only has one while the other oasis class ships have two.  This means wonder flowrider will always be over crowded.  Some kids will spend all day every day at the flowrider if allowed.  So for some this difference isn’t insignificant.  

7 hours ago, rjp50 said:

Definitely check out Harmony, Symphony, Oasis, and Odyssey of the Seas.  They also are fantastic ships that have tons to do.  Harmony, Symphony, and Oasis are all Oasis class.  The Odyssey has a seaplex with bumper cars instead of the ice rink.

The prices on the Wonder are INSANE right now.   

We live 45 min from Port Canaveral, but I can book the Symphony in Europe, pay for a suite, and airfare for four of us and still be less than the Wonder.  

We just did the same thing and sailed on the Anthem in Southampton and it was AMAZING!

• Like 3

My kids love the Harmony. They were 13&9 the first time we sailed on her and it had more than enough to keep them busy.  I gave them the option of the Odyssey for 6 nights or Harmony for 7 nights and we went back on the Harmony at spring break. I booked rooms next to each other but not adjoining to save some $. But my kids are now 15&11. We were able to take out the divider between the balconies which worked out perfect. We still haven’t done everything after 2 cruises. 

I just spent two days with the exact same problem, other than my 3 grands are girls!  Being brand new to Royal, it was so frustrating not to be able to look at bookings for 2 adults and 3 children online.  There is a perfect solution that I learned after a lot of digging!  If still available on your cruise and you are ok with Ocean View, look for the ULTRA Spacious Ocean View category (Category 1K) - they are most often all the way forward, and then a few port and starboard as well, a few cabins back.  They have much more space and storage, and a little cubbyhole with two bunks tucked away, as well as a pull out sleeper, with an actual capacity of 6 people.   We had almost booked an Oceanview and an Inside to accommodate the five of them, and with 6-11 year olds, they are so much happier to be all in one room, and not splitting up the parents.   We were able to find a couple of YouTube videos for this room type, and it turned out to be perfect for us.  Good luck!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

probably because the boys are 8, 10 and 12. I'd rather keep a close eye on the kids at that age.

Heck, our 11 yo cruises in the same cabin with us.

But there will be adults since the parents are traveling with their children. Can’t get a closer eye than being in the same cabin.

7 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

But there will be adults since the parents are traveling with their children. Can’t get a closer eye than being in the same cabin.

I am afraid I don't understand you.

OP said she wanted the parents and their kids to be in adjoining cabins. You asked why they had to be in connecting cabins.

I said to keep a close eye on the kids of that age. 

Your reply didn't make any sense to me. Are you saying they should ALL be in the same cabin? Are you saying the 5 of them should be in the same cabin?

44 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

OP said she wanted the parents and their kids to be in adjoining cabins. You asked why they had to be in connecting cabins.

Your reply didn't make any sense to me. Are you saying they should ALL be in the same cabin? Are you saying the 5 of them should be in the same cabin?

I read it wrong, I thought they were only getting 2 cabins.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

Wouldn’t Royal insist that, with kids that young, 1 adult be in 1 room with 2 kids and the other adult be in room 2 with kid 3?

Even if they allow all 3 kids in one room, most people would put the parents in a balcony across from the 3 kids in an interior. I’d never allow 3 kids to be in a balcony room. 

But that’s just me. I do think it explains why there aren’t that many adjoining rooms. Disney Cruise Line is known for having many adjoining rooms. And I think they force 1 adult into each room with the kids split. Of course, at night they can’t control where everyone sleeps. 

13 minutes ago, pyrateslife4me84 said:

Wouldn’t Royal insist that, with kids that young, 1 adult be in 1 room with 2 kids and the other adult be in room 2 with kid 3?

that's what they would book it, but when it comes to sleeping the adults could be in one cabin and the three kids can sleep in the adjacent cabin.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the feedback.  As far as sleeping is concerned, it is acceptable and possibly preferred to have mom and dad in separate rooms since dad snores keeping mom awake.  We will look into some of the other ships as suggested. 

One other question I had was keeping track of the kids during the day.  With so many activities and with at least the older kids getting to be of a more independent age, how do parents keep track of them?  We just got off a Princess ship that has the medallions that allow you to keep track of the locations of the members of your party on an app.  Does Royal Caribbean have anything similar?

We have taken as many as 14 family (kids & grandkids) on cruises on Oasis (twice) and Allure (once).  We had the Harmony booked for November but they moved her and moved us to the Wonder (oh darn).  First, get a TA or call RCCL for connecting or adjoining cabins.  As old as what you have adjoining with the balcony partition open would be good.  We have done that.  Putting them across the hall in an inside wasn't even considered.  Everybody will love any Oasis class ship and probably any other one too.  

On 7/11/2022 at 10:05 AM, rjp50 said:

you need to call.  My son, his wife and three kids sailed with us on the Oasis.  They had a cabin that appeared to be a modified Junior suite suitable for 5.  It was a very large cabin, with a little room that had bunk beds- suitable for two kids.  The true Jr. SUite has a walk in closet and these cabins have bunks in what appeared to be the walk in closet with a curtain.  

The couch in the room was great for another child-  These cabins are only available by calling the cruise line- of course, some two bedroom suites work, but are expensive.  The 5 person modified jr. suite was cost effective.

Edited by Cruise a holic