Reporting Smoking

JFontaine

I was in a Penthouse on the Summit a couple of weeks ago. Nearby someone was smoking pot, every day, throughout the dsy, from before 9 am until after 7 pm - followed by cigarette smoking (perfect weather, I rarely left balcony, didn't go ashore). I reported it to butler, it continued. Next day, thinking if someone came right away they might see the person, I called the front desk. By the time someone came the person had stopped, but the officer went into a cabin above me to look around.  It continued throughout the cruise, but I tried to ignore it. 

Throughout the week I found garbage on my balcony - french fries, napkins, and then bigger things, a lighter, a water can, a magazine.  Not stuff you usually see flying on to the balcony from above. I've been in this cabin many times before.

As we are pulling out of Bermuda two couples above me were talking to each other loud enough for me to hear: 'Yeah, the woman in the Penthouse has been complaining about the smoking, what a b___,'  kind of in an aggressive, loud tone, looking at me. Then they walked out of view, lit up, laughing their heads off.  Very uncomfortable.  They smoked openly the last day all the way back to NY.  

And while I'm at it, one more cruise story. We were the last ones in Luminae on the final morning when a couple were seated across from me. I watched as the husband handed out envelopes to the waiter and the restaurant manager. He thanked the restaurant manager profusely for allowing them to eat in Luminae, and named all of his upcoming cruises (not that many compared to what i read here).  The manager said that they always try to make room for their frequent cruisers. I never had to wait for a table, so this did not impact me. I just wonder how much of this goes on. 

3 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

So sorry this happened to you.  I wonder if ship security would have been more responsive/proactive than someone from the hospitality side of the ship.

I asked for Security when I called the front desk. The officer that they sent did have access to cabins. Whoever spread the word that it was the Penthouse who complained was very unprofessional. 

On the  day after i heard the cruisers discuss me  I did try to reach the head of guest relations who I had met and who told me to call him for anything,  big or small. He never returned my call. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JFontaine said:

I asked for Security when I called the front desk. The officer that they sent did have access to cabins. Whoever spread the word that it was the Penthouse who complained was very unprofessional. 

On the  day after i heard the cruisers discuss me  I did try to reach the head of guest relations who I had met and who told me to call him for anything,  big or small. He never returned my call. 

Based on the behavior you reported, the way you were treated and basically dismissed, I think it is very  appropriate  to escalate this in writing to Celebrity higher management.  You paid for a Penthouse suite with the expectations you would very much enjoy your accommodations.  You did not expect your cruise experience to be ruined by passengers who behaved like trash!!! 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry you had that issue. We had the same thing on the Eclipse in June, with someone on the balcony below us. The first time I called Guest Relations and waited on hold for almost 10 minutes. They said they would look into it. When it happened a second time and again I called, same thing, they would look into it. I got the sense they needed proof, possibly housekeeping finding butts when made up the room? It never stopped.

It had not occurred to me before to take a photo, but this is him on disembarkation day while we were at the pier in Vancouver, enjoying a final coffee and cigarette.

20220611_144916.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Shameful that this went on. 

For current readers who might encounter this type of behavior in the future - Call security directly, have photo evidence on your cell phone of the trash on the balcony over days, and describe the trash as retaliation.  This might spur ship staff to respond more vigorously.  I do appreciate that you, OP did everything right, and the ship staff let you down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Please write LLP; she needs to know ASAP.  That is totally unacceptable.  Unfortunately, these things do happen, but hopefully not as often as one make think.  I hope you have more details then you are sharing on Cruise Critic.

Thank you for sharing.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

Curious, was the couple in Luminae the same people in the cabin above you? Could they have been Zenith level CC members? 

No, the Luminae couple was not the same.  I don't know if they were Zenith.  He named his upcoming cruises over the coming year (twice) to prove what a good customer he is, and I laughed to myself thinking some people here do that in a month. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Sorry you went through this, especially in the PH. While the M-class PH is truly stunning, it is easy to feel a bit exposed on that verandah and I'd be very uncomfortable after hearing that. I really should have reported my next door neighbor on a Panama Canal cruise. I always suspected it as the smell (just "regular" smoking) often permeated into my cabin. But one morning towards the end of the cruise, very early, I had set up on my lounger to take advantage of morning sun. I was already out there and enjoying peace and quiet when I heard the adjacent balcony door open, and then the characteristic click of a lighter then the smell. At that point I didn't want to make waves with not long left, there were already a variety of issues with housekeeping, but in reality really should have as it could have resulted in a terrible fire. 

• Like 1

If I smell smoke, I don’t stop with guest relations.  I call security directly, or higher.  There is absolutely no reason for ANYONE to smoke on their balcony.  
If I don’t get results on the ship, an email to the Exec Suite on shore side will do amazing things. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, wrk2cruise said:

Zeniths are not allowed to dine in Luminae if they are not in a suite.   I wonder if it was some other VIP but even still I'm surprised if they were not accompanied by an officer.

That might be the policy, and I have no idea if this couple were Zeniths. But I heard the entire conversation. The restaurant manager said how many people he could accommodate per night (I think he said 120), how many Luminae (he did not say "suite") guests were on board (106, I think) how many people usually go to a specialty restaurant and otherwise don't eat in Luminae. It was an interesting conversation.   (I might not recall the numbers correctly, but it's close).  

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Please write LLP; she needs to know ASAP.  That is totally unacceptable.  Unfortunately, these things do happen, but hopefully not as often as one make think.  I hope you have more details then you are sharing on Cruise Critic.

Thank you for sharing.

Yes, I agree, please write to LLP.

X advertises that their ships are non-smoking. All guests are reminded of that at embarkation. Supposedly, offenders can be put off the ship by the Captain. How many would continue to sail with X if they could not rely on them to enforce their own policies.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Loracpin2 said:

Based on the behavior you reported, the way you were treated and basically dismissed, I think it is very  appropriate  to escalate this in writing to Celebrity higher management.  You paid for a Penthouse suite with the expectations you would very much enjoy your accommodations.  You did not expect your cruise experience to be ruined by passengers who behaved like trash!!! 

Agreed.. Write a letter on white stationery. Have it sent to main Celebrity management. Signature required.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JFontaine said:

That might be the policy, and I have no idea if this couple were Zeniths. But I heard the entire conversation. The restaurant manager said how many people he could accommodate per night (I think he said 120), how many Luminae (he did not say "suite") guests were on board (106, I think) how many people usually go to a specialty restaurant and otherwise don't eat in Luminae. It was an interesting conversation.   (I might not recall the numbers correctly, but it's close).  

Call me skeptical but, since Luminae can accommodate 120 and 106 Luminae guests were on board, it has been my experience to notice on countless cruises...that tipping can go a very long way to get what you want whether your are or aren't entitled to it!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2