Milk in suitcase or carryon?

I’m cruising with a toddler who absolutely wakes up asking for milk so I need milk ready for them each morning. I picked up shelf stable milk to bring in case the room fridge isn’t cold enough to store milk.  Since milk is a free drink item and not alcohol, do I still need to pack it in my carryon aka diaper bag or can it go in the luggage?  I initially thought luggage but then I wondered if it would get flagged and I would have to go to the naughty luggage room since on x-ray it would appear as a liquid and they wouldn’t think milk versus booze/soda..

Thoughts?

3 minutes ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

I’m cruising with a toddler who absolutely wakes up asking for milk so I need milk ready for them each morning. I picked up shelf stable milk to bring in case the room fridge isn’t cold enough to store milk.  Since milk is a free drink item and not alcohol, do I still need to pack it in my carryon aka diaper bag or can it go in the luggage?  I initially thought luggage but then I wondered if it would get flagged and I would have to go to the naughty luggage room since on x-ray it would appear as a liquid and they wouldn’t think milk versus booze/soda..

Thoughts?

Carry it on.  Also, none of the "fridges" are actually fridges.  They're really drink coolers.  Also, on some ships, some categories such as insides don't even have them.  Shelf stable is the best for that reason.   Will your toddler drink it?   I know it tastes different.  You can go get some in the WJ first thing in the morning and bring it back also.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

A few thoughts-

If your child has not had shelf stable milk ,I would introduce it to him /her before the cruise. Taste and consistency may differ from the milk the child has been drinking. 

Consider powdered milk to avoid a problem with a liquid in a carry on.

I would put the child’s bottle or sippy cup full of milk in an ice bucket so it would be chilled to drink.

You could order milk room service breakfast very early in the day ,or has been suggested, get milk from the buffet or other place onboard that serves coffee.

• Like 2

I’d personally just run up to Buffett each morning and grab a milk.  Shelf stable is not something mine would drink.

that said - put in carryon.  If it sprang a leak in main luggage what a mess.

• Like 2

Ideally I could run to windjammer or do continental room service. But when I saw the kiddo loves milk, he wants milk shortly after waking. I’m trying to do all I can to mitigate any toddler meltdowns to wake up other cabins.  
Room service would be hard to time just right with him waking up and not either waiting for the milk or being woken by room service. 
Going down to windjammer would also risk meltdown as it will take time to get him and myself semi-presentable.  
I figured the shelf stable would be the insurance plan for morning meltdown avoidance.   He has had it before and by trial/error found he will only drink the whole milk not 2% or any other variation.

2 hours ago, BND said:

Carry it on.  Also, none of the "fridges" are actually fridges.  They're really drink coolers.  Also, on some ships, some categories such as insides don't even have them.  Shelf stable is the best for that reason.   Will your toddler drink it?   I know it tastes different.  You can go get some in the WJ first thing in the morning and bring it back also.

Truly not being argumentative, but some really are refrigerators. Look inside for a tag. If it lists refrigerant, it has a compressor and is a true fridge. The 'coolers' generally have a large aluminum plate on back wall

• Like 5

We have cruised with toddlers for several years now and still have one.  

Don’t bring milk.  Go to the windjammer and grab several and put them in your cabin fridge.  We have never had one that isn’t a refrigerator, but that could vary depending on your ship.  Put a water in on day one and test it that night to see if it is refrigerator cold.  If it isn’t cold enough use (obviously bring it just in case) a small collapsible cooler and have your room attendant refresh the ice water each time they clean your room.  Your toddler will then have fresh regular whole milk they will enjoy.  If you grab a few on a visit you will only have to do this 2-3 times per cruise.  Very easy.  Don’t over think it and just enjoy your trip.  

Maybe bring disposable sippy cups (you can get them at Walmart) and these can be hand washed easily in the cabin for several uses.  If they get left behind no worries.  Also disposable bibs at Walmart.  They even have the flip up part at the bottom.  Great for travel and they were very reasonably priced.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Truly not being argumentative, but some really are refrigerators. Look inside for a tag. If it lists refrigerant, it has a compressor and is a true fridge. The 'coolers' generally have a large aluminum plate on back wall

Pretty sure they are all refrigerators on the new ships?  

4 minutes ago, topnole said:

Pretty sure they are all refrigerators on the new ships?  

It seems some of the posts here are talking about the technology used for cooling the contents of the mini-bar. For the purposes of storing milk, the more important topic is the temperature. What we think of as a refrigerator cools to about 35-40 degrees F. The mini-bars typically are much higher, in the 50-60 degree range. The plan to bring ultra-pasteurized milk is a good one.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, publicpersona said:

It seems some of the posts here are talking about the technology used for cooling the contents of the mini-bar. For the purposes of storing milk, the more important topic is the temperature. What we think of as a refrigerator cools to about 35-40 degrees F. The mini-bars typically are much higher, in the 50-60 degree range. The plan to bring ultra-pasteurized milk is a good one.

I’ve always kept beverages in my “fridge” on cruises and can assure you they have never been in the 50-60 degree range.   No way I’m drinking 50- 60 degree beers all week.  I’ve maybe had one that wasn’t cold, but that was because it was broken.  Again, just bring a collapsible cooler.   No issues.  

Edited by topnole
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, topnole said:

We have cruised with toddlers for several years now and still have one.  

Don’t bring milk.  Go to the windjammer and grab several and put them in your cabin fridge.  We have never had one that isn’t a refrigerator, but that could vary depending on your ship.  Put a water in on day one and test it that night to see if it is refrigerator cold.  If it isn’t cold enough use (obviously bring it just in case) a small collapsible cooler and have your room attendant refresh the ice water each time they clean your room.  Your toddler will then have fresh regular whole milk they will enjoy.  If you grab a few on a visit you will only have to do this 2-3 times per cruise.  Very easy.  Don’t over think it and just enjoy your trip.  

Maybe bring disposable sippy cups (you can get them at Walmart) and these can be hand washed easily in the cabin for several uses.  If they get left behind no worries.  Also disposable bibs at Walmart.  They even have the flip up part at the bottom.  Great for travel and they were very reasonably priced.  

I get a paper cup with a lid from Cafe Promenade and fill it with creamer for the Lavazza machine. 

11 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Why not wake up 

Get everyone dressed and ready quickly

Then go to the windjammer and have milk & breakfast?

As the op stated, to avoid potential of a toddler melt down.  Being stuck in a tiny cabin for even a short time frame can get frustrating for a little kid so having something comforting for them can certainly help.  This seems pretty reasonable to me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, topnole said:

As the op stated, to avoid potential of a toddler melt down.  Being stuck in a tiny cabin for even a short time frame can get frustrating for a little kid so having something comforting for them can certainly help.  This seems pretty reasonable to me.  

Giving in to the toddler

Sounds reasonable...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Giving in to the toddler

Sounds reasonable...

When was the last time you had a toddler in the house?  🙂

Preparing for the child IS exceptional parenting - knowing their moods, knowing how to prevent a disruptive morning, being considerate of others.  This parent gets high praise from me!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Giving in to the toddler

Sounds reasonable...

I’m trying to prep in advance to avoid issues.  Don’t want to be the cabin with an early rising toddler who has a meltdown who then wakes up the surrounding cabins who wanted to sleep in.

Kid is mostly happy go lucky but at 6AM even a short minute of crying can feel like ages when concerned about disturbing others.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

Which ship will you be on?  
As above, newer ships have real refrigerators that get super cool. I know Symphony and Harmony have them - not just coolers like the older ships. 

I’ll be on the Harmony.  Good to know they have a real fridge that could potentially keep milk cool enough.  Picking up some milk from the Windjammer and storing in the room fridge is my first choice.   The shelf stable milk is my contingency/back-up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Honeyroastedmelnut said:

I’ll be on the Harmony.  Good to know they have a real fridge that could potentially keep milk cool enough.  Picking up some milk from the Windjammer and storing in the room fridge is my first choice.   The shelf stable milk is my contingency/back-up.

We were on Harmony in a CLS in January and the fridge kept my free Coronas ice cold. 

• Like 2

I love it when some folks around here offer parenting advice. Of course, the listening to the 'loudest' ones' advice is like listening to the Captain of the Concordia's advice about how to steer a cruise ship! 🛳️ 💥 

😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Maybe bring disposable sippy cups (you can get them at Walmart) and these can be hand washed easily in the cabin for several uses.  If they get left behind no worries.

I simply went to the Promenade cafe and got coffee cups with lids. This way we didn't have to bring them with us. I also filled them with milk right there at the promenade cafe for the before-bed night cap.

ETA: On Harmony @Honeyroastedmelnutcan also run over to the Park Cafe for a cup of milk (they have the coffee/tea station there and fancy coffees as well). Since they serve cereal as well, they may have prepackaged milk, but I didn't look last time to check.

Sorry, I only have a meme handy for a visual representation.

image.thumb.jpeg.f4a0bafbbd5785ce9a88a462eb873c9b.jpeg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Haha 2