Are US dollars accepted in Canada?

vivienne-j

1 hour ago, vivienne-j said:

Hi - what a lot of replies!  Many thanks to everyone.

Yes, it's the east coast, so St Johns NF, Gaspe, Quebec (two whole days!), Saguenay, Charlottetown, Iles de la Madelaine, Halifax, Sydney NS.  Not stopping in the US - just Canada.

The suggestion to tip on board in US$ is a good one.  Will convert some US$ to CAD before we sail.

Again, many thanks, everyone 🙂

Is this  a cruise  or land trip?

What cruise line  does all Canada ports? 

Sounds  good to me

You  have so many stops in Canada.  You should be getting our Canadian currency.  

I understand when you visit a country for a few hours and may spent  a few dollars. 

But you are probably spending 7 to 10 days here. Get cad.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Cruise: https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/R214/R214

And yes, it sounds good to me too!

That looks like a fantastic cruise! 

@vivienne-j when you are in St. John's you HAVE TO KISS THE COD! 💋 🐡

You will become a real Newfoundlander when you do! It's like being almost a God! 😉

But, and it's a BIG BUT,  the COD only accepts Canadian cash for the smooch. 

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 5

On 7/17/2022 at 3:26 AM, vivienne-j said:

Hi folks

We are on a cruise to Canada in September/October, and fine-tuning our needs now.  We have lots of US dollars left over from previous US holidays, but no Canadian dollars.  We won't need much - enough for tour guide tips, the odd coffee, etc.  Are we able to use US dollars in Canada?  I realise there's a difference in the exchange rate (about 1 Canadian to .77 US)  but just looking at it at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

Vivienne

Looks like a fantastic cruise. 

I will toss my 5 cents in  (since we don't cent coins in Canada anymore).

I live in Canada, very rarely use cash these day. I use credit cards everywhere I go.  That includes to pickup a coffee.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, em-sk said:

I live in Canada, very rarely use cash these day. I use credit cards everywhere I go.  That includes to pickup a coffee.  

I guess you should be able to throw your hat into the ring for free; two cents ought to be rounded down!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, d9704011 said:

I guess you should be able to throw your hat into the ring for free; two cents ought to be rounded down!

Ohhhh.  We should probably explain that to the OP.  @vivienne-j, since Canada no longer has pennies, your purchase will be rounded up or down to the closest 5 cents/nickel.  So, for example, if it rings up as $5.13, you will be required to pay $5.15, even if they tell you it is $5.13.  Sorry.  🤷‍♀️

19 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Ohhhh.  We should probably explain that to the OP.  @vivienne-j, since Canada no longer has pennies, your purchase will be rounded up or down to the closest 5 cents/nickel.  So, for example, if it rings up as $5.13, you will be required to pay $5.15, even if they tell you it is $5.13.  Sorry.  🤷‍♀️

True, for cash purchases, but if you pay by debit or credit card there's no rounding, you'd only pay $5.13.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

True, for cash purchases, but if you pay by debit or credit card there's no rounding, you'd only pay $5.13.

Yes.  And, also, you won’t pay the price that you see advertised like you do in the UK because… taxes.  Don’t try and figure it out; it’s not worth the aggravation.  But Here’s a link if want to be annoyed.  Sorry.  🤷‍♀️ Again.

• Haha 2

That's OK - if we're shelling out stupid money for the cruise, I think we can cope with a bit of rounding.  Especially as this was the cruise booked for 2020, and for some strange reason got postponed... twice... 😉

20 hours ago, em-sk said:

So true , when in Timmy`s , i order a coffee and declare i will pay with credit card.

The server inputs the amount and i tap while they make the coffee .

Gone in 30 seconds . Very quick and convenient .

And i get 2 % back from the credit card ( Tangerine ) Bonus 😁

• Like 1

On 7/19/2022 at 4:48 PM, vivienne-j said:

Hmmmm.  Think I might pass on that!! 🙂

Don't pass up becoming an honorary Newfoundlander! That would be like me turning down being Knighted by Lilibet!

Wait 'till you meet some Newfoundlanders, you'll want to be an honorary one after about 5 minutes. 

😉 Can you tell I have lots of friends from 'the rock'? The nicest, funniest folks on the entire planet!

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4

@Dirty Dog is not wrong, the people from The Rock (anywhere in the Maritimes really) are about the best you could every wish to meet. Friendly, polite, enthusiastic about everything, would share their last smoke with you if you asked 😉 Getting Screeched in - a must!🤪 

For spending, your bank card will work in Canada just the same as at home - tap and go. If you want some actual cash, just think ATM instead of cashpoint - just avoid the "White Label / No Name" atm's, use the ones associated with the big 5 banks for the lowest fees.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Brian V said:

@Dirty Dog is not wrong, the people from The Rock (anywhere in the Maritimes really) are about the best you could every wish to meet. Friendly, polite, enthusiastic about everything, would share their last smoke with you if you asked 😉 Getting Screeched in - a must!🤪 

For spending, your bank card will work in Canada just the same as at home - tap and go. If you want some actual cash, just think ATM instead of cashpoint - just avoid the "White Label / No Name" atm's, use the ones associated with the big 5 banks for the lowest fees.

My brother moved West years ago and says I'm not wrong about things too. Never I'm right about things, just I'm not wrong. Is that a Western phrase for everybody or just for us Ontarians? 😉

1 minute ago, DirtyDawg said:

Is that a Western phrase for everybody or just for us Ontarians? 😉

LOL, now that you mention it...we do seem to say that a lot around here.

Truth be told, I was born in Ontario but my folks fled west 59 years ago - guess you could call me a naturalized Albertan now 🤠

The OP asked:  "Are we able to use US dollars in Canada?" which is a broader question than can we tip using US dollars.

Yes, tip in US dollars, but in my opinion, don't calculate any exchange - tip the 18% or 20% that a restaurant server expects against the CDN total... don't tip less because you are tipping in USD.

Can you "use" US dollars in Canada.  There is no general rule yes or no.  Depends on the port, how far you are from where American tourists commonly travel, and every store or merchant will have their own policy.  Some will and some will not.

On 7/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, d9704011 said:

Find a Canadian onboard and ask them whether they'd trade some currency.  Me, I'd take 85USD for 100CAD.

When I worked in offshore oil in Canada, I would get my Canadian co-workers to trade my paper Canadian money for Canadian coins.  The paper money was widely accepted in Maine, but at a discount, while the coins would be used as equal to US coins, even in vending machines and tolls.

On 7/17/2022 at 1:36 PM, d9704011 said:

Find a Canadian onboard and ask them whether they'd trade some currency.  Me, I'd take 85USD for 100CAD.

You think my wife would let me have that much cash on me 🤣

I mostly just use my phone to tap , there is only a couple place I use cash 

39 minutes ago, ALKID said:

Canadian coins will not work in us vending machines.  The vending machine manufacturers are smarter than that.  The coin accepters are calibrated for the country they are in.

Not in the "good old days".