Cruise director non factor

ThaNectar

I have been on somewhere between 20-25 cruises.  Not once have I ever known who the director was or what their name was.

They have never done anything to make my cruise LESS enjoyable or done anything to make my cruise MORE enjoyable.

They have no impact on my cruise either good or bad.

I personally don't get all the "list of cruise directors for each ship" or asking what ship is so and so on.

Or so and so made our trip so fun.  

What am I missing?

• Like 5

How could you not know their names when they make multiple announcements every day and never fail to tell you who they are?

But I agree in that for me they are largely a non-factor. Cruise Directors are mostly irrelevant unless you take part in the deck parties and games. 

• Like 4

You are missing nothing, if it matters nought to you.

Some people find that specific CDs make the fun, well, more fun.  Their particular brand of antics, humor/sarcasm, or other schtick that makes the whole cruise more enjoyable.

I will admit that while I appreciate some of the uniqueness that each CD brings, I am not a "fan" of any particular one, I think they all have done a great job in promoting activities and being goofballs.

Very much a YMMV, IMHO, etc situation.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Loopdan said:

How could you not know their names when they make multiple announcements every day and never fail to tell you who they are?

But I agree in that for me they are largely a non-factor. Cruise Directors are mostly irrelevant unless you take part in the deck parties and games. 

Ha ha.. i guess I tune them out...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bhern05 said:

I had the same attitude until we had Mike Pack on Horizon. He made every event he went to more enjoyable, especially the 80s trivia in the lobby!

I agree that Mike does a great job in his hosting duties.  But I don't base cruises on who the cruise director is or isn't.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bhern05 said:

I had the same attitude until we had Mike Pack on Horizon. He made every event he went to more enjoyable, especially the 80s trivia in the lobby!

And this may be where some folks don't grok the uniqueness of certain CDs: if you never go to such events, you will never be exposed to their characters, instead you will just hear their announcements over the PA and wonder why they even exist.

It would be like asking "why is the Steakhouse so special?  I never go there.  I've never been, don't even look inside as I walk by."  Well, if you never go, you never get to experience why it is so special.

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
  • Like 4

I totally agree with you, with one exception - we were on the Breeze's first sailing after the shutdown with "Cookie" as the cruise director and I couldn't help but notice him.  He is a total character with an incredible sense of humor.  He was so happy to be back on the ship working again, and told some really touching stories about what he (and some of the other crew members) did during the shutdown and how tough it was for them.  His parents happened to be on that sailing as well.  For the first time ever, I went to the question/answer session with the cruise director and really enjoyed some of his stories (he was CD on Glory when it collided w/Legend). 

Then more recently we were on Mardi Gras and Cookie happened to be filling in for its cruise director (likely because he will be assigned to the new sister ship Jubilee I believe) and it was a really nice surprise to see/hear him again.  It's not just a job for him, he is a true performer.

Aside from that, I don't pay attention to the CD at all (I'm usually on the ship to rest/relax and avoid most group activities).

• Like 7

For us, also, the CD is basically a non-factor.  Having said that, we notice if they are really bad or annoying or absolutely fantastic.  Chris Williams (the Flying Scotsman) really made one cruise great for us and we have had a couple who we wondered how they ever got their position.  In general, though, we just simply don't notice.

• Like 4

I used to feel the same until I paid attention.  A lame CD vs a great CD can absolutely change a cruise.  Maybe not for you (or me) personally but the vibe and energy on the ship and the 3k+ other passengers can change and impact me (and you) easily when you are sharing the same ship, events, and activities.

• Like 3

I pay attention and have enjoyed some, but I will agree with @cmukid87  The whole vibe of the ship depends on at least a decent CD. I’ve been on sailings where the events really brought everyone together and made it feel like a floating family for a week. A good CD can make you completely forget about the issues in the world and soak in the fun even if you aren’t participating in the cha cha slides or playing an air instrument to Journey’s Don’t Stop Believing. 
I’ve never booked a cruise based on the CD schedule, but I can totally see why some do. Now bar crew… that’s who I follow. 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I honestly hate the "social" part of cruising (no thanks to the activities, no thanks to the shows, etc etc), so cruise directors are meaningless to me. Couldn't tell you a single name of any cruise I have been on. There have been a few that have annoyed the hell out of me, but I just block them out. They have added absolutely nothing to any of my cruises, so I am in agreement with you. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, csm5986142 said:

I totally agree with you, with one exception - we were on the Breeze's first sailing after the shutdown with "Cookie" as the cruise director and I couldn't help but notice him.  He is a total character with an incredible sense of humor.  He was so happy to be back on the ship working again, and told some really touching stories about what he (and some of the other crew members) did during the shutdown and how tough it was for them.  His parents happened to be on that sailing as well.  For the first time ever, I went to the question/answer session with the cruise director and really enjoyed some of his stories (he was CD on Glory when it collided w/Legend). 

Then more recently we were on Mardi Gras and Cookie happened to be filling in for its cruise director (likely because he will be assigned to the new sister ship Jubilee I believe) and it was a really nice surprise to see/hear him again.  It's not just a job for him, he is a true performer.

Aside from that, I don't pay attention to the CD at all (I'm usually on the ship to rest/relax and avoid most group activities).

Wow- how experiences can differ! I've never gotten really jazzed about any CD, definitely never booked a cruise because of one... but I was kinda looking forward to our Vista cruise a few years ago because Matt Mitchem was the CD... so I was surprised to find that he'd been replaced for our cruise by Cookie. But I figured, meh, whatever...

Well, all I can say is it was pretty obvious to us and all of our other cruise passengers that Mr Cookie DID NOT want to be on that sailing... he was irritable with kids (who were not doing anything wrong at the time, just patiently waiting for the ice cream machine to free up)... he excluded a bunch of folks intentionally from some of his activities on the sports deck (in spite of it being for all ages in the Fun Times he decided that anyone under 18 couldn't play basketball any time he was on the court)... he promised us a group photo from a meetup that he promised to attend, he showed up late, but at least he showed up... but he called the organizer a liar when she asked about the photo... at first he blamed the photographer, then the organizer...

To each his own, I guess... but I got tremors when I heard that he might be on Jubilee- I'm on the transatlantic sailing and unless his attitude has improved, I'm not looking forward to any interaction with our CD...

1 hour ago, mcgore83 said:

Matt Mitchem!  He was all over the place!  Very engaging and entertaining !

Matt Mitcham was the best in my opinion, always full of energy and was great to talk to. We had the pleasure of sailing with him 5 times. The best being a New Years cruise. 

First cruise in 2010 on the Conquest. All I remember of the CD was his first name was Chris. They looped the morning show on the screen on the Lido deck for hours on end at a volume that was ear splitting. I almost never cruised again just because of that. But with better ear buds I now tune that out. I will say I will never ever ever go on a ship with JH as CD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ThaNectar said:

I have been on somewhere between 20-25 cruises.  Not once have I ever known who the director was or what their name was.

They have never done anything to make my cruise LESS enjoyable or done anything to make my cruise MORE enjoyable.

I personally don't get all the "list of cruise directors for each ship" or asking what ship is so and so on.

What am I missing?

We totally agree. We have been on over 20 cruises and only remember the name of one CD, and that is because he was extremely annoying. If we want to know what is going on, we look at the schedule and don’t need someone reminding us every hour what is coming up. Unless there is something of importance - the ship is on fire / sinking, the itinerary has changed, etc., we much prefer they keep quiet. We sail primarily for the itinerary and would never book based on who the cruise director is.

Edited by JT1962
  • Like 3

If you don't go to the deck or atrium parties, or go to any of the shows in the main lounge, etc., then I don't see why you'd care who the CD is or why you'd care why other people care. And the same goes for the comedy host in Punchliners.

A good CD or fun squad member can bump those events up a few notches to say the least.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, JT1962 said:

We totally agree. We have been on over 20 cruises and only remember the name of one CD, and that is because he was extremely annoying. If we want to know what is going on, we look at the schedule and don’t need someone reminding us every hour what is coming up. Unless there is something of importance - the ship is on fire / sinking, the itinerary has changed, etc., we much prefer they keep quiet. We sail primarily for the itinerary and would never book based on who the cruise director is.

Agree 💯

2 hours ago, ThaNectar said:

What am I missing?

Agree 100%.

Never had a CD who impacted my cruise either positively or negatively.

I don't think I have ever gotten off a ship, where I could name one.

Now, the helpers who run the triivia, games, etc. have made a much bigger impact on my cruises.

I also have never understood the cults that yammer on and on about the CDs and which ship they are on and scheduling their cruises around that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1