NCL Breakaway 07-17-22 HAVEN SUITE NO TOILET

wsb225

Hi,

I am currently sailing on the Breakaway in a Haven Suite.   During our cruise, we did not have a working suite/stateroom toilet for 3 days/nights.   It was very frustrating to have to use the general toilet but more so to have to get dressed to use the public toilet in the middle of the night.  It was finally fixed yesterday.   TThe Guest Services Manager said the problem was caused by other guest who disposed of items in the toilet that clogged the system.  This effected approximately 30 staterooms and suites.   The last of empathy from management was awe full.  

My question for everyone is what would feel is appropriate consideration for this very large inconvenience?  A future cruise credit?  A credit against your current shipboard charges?  A rebate on the current cruise fare?   

I would appreciate feedback on what everyone believes is fair and reasonable.    Thanks 

• Like 2

How long is your cruise?

7 night? Divide cost by 7 and multiply by 4 good toilet days.

How you want it is up to you. Get it right away before they offer you $100 or something or say to contact corporate.  Call your credit card right away and put them on notice.

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply’s.  NCL on board management has provided us a letter that they have contacted the Corporate Office in Miami and Corp is offering us Future Cruise Credit (FCC) that only equals approximately 12% +\-  of the fare we paid for this current cruise.  I have expressed my dissatisfaction to the GM and he stated Corporate will only authorize the FCC and that Corporate would be “in touch” and contacting with us in the near future.  No credit against on board charges or partial refund of this cruise will be offered on board or at all. 

I am very disappointed in this position.  I understand that things happen but it’s how you deal with it from a customer service standpoint that keeps Brand Loyalty.   The way this has been handled by NCL is not acceptable to me.   

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

How exactly do you "put them on notice?"

I call Amex and inform them of a possible charge back situation and they create a file. I also find out what my time frames are and how to go about it.

I had a situation 2 days ago.

Cruise cancelled and I had refundable air on Singapore airlines. Two billing cycles no refund. AMEX told me dates I needed to follow and on Friday I called and they already had it in my file and did the dispute. I got my 10k back the next day.

Another issue with MSC cruises

Cruise came with a pair of massages. Had concierge book it after showing him paperwork.

After massage we were charged for it. 2 weeks on board and no credit. Called AMEX, told them on day 3 what was happening and they told me what to do.

At end of cruise was told 2 free massages were not part of my booking despite it in writing on their confirmation.

Dispute filed when I got home. 2 weeks later a decision was found in my favor.

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

How long is your cruise?

7 night? Divide cost by 7 and multiply by 4 good toilet days.

How you want it is up to you. Get it right away before they offer you $100 or something or say to contact corporate.  Call your credit card right away and put them on notice.

3 minutes ago, mscdivina2016 said:

I call Amex and inform them of a possible charge back situation and they create a file. I also find out what my time frames are and how to go about it.

I had a situation 2 days ago.

Cruise cancelled and I had refundable air on Singapore airlines. Two billing cycles no refund. AMEX told me dates I needed to follow and on Friday I called and they already had it in my file and did the dispute. I got my 10k back the next day.

Another issue with MSC cruises

Cruise came with a pair of massages. Had concierge book it after showing him paperwork.

After massage we were charged for it. 2 weeks on board and no credit. Called AMEX, told them on day 3 what was happening and they told me what to do.

At end of cruise was told 2 free massages were not part of my booking despite it in writing on their confirmation.

Dispute filed when I got home. 2 weeks later a decision was found in my favor.

I use Amex as well and will definitely be contacting them about this.   Hopefully they can help us with this.   

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wsb225 said:

Thanks for the reply’s.  NCL on board management has provided us a letter that they have contacted the Corporate Office in Miami and Corp is offering us Future Cruise Credit (FCC) that only equals approximately 12% +\-  of the fare we paid for this current cruise.  I have expressed my dissatisfaction to the GM and he stated Corporate will only authorize the FCC and that Corporate would be “in touch” and contacting with us in the near future.  No credit against on board charges or partial refund of this cruise will be offered on board or at all. 

I am very disappointed in this position.  I understand that things happen but it’s how you deal with it from a customer service standpoint that keeps Brand Loyalty.   The way this has been handled by NCL is not acceptable to me.   

I have gone down a similar road which is why I knew the corporate excuse was coming.

Keep escalating onboard and the next thing they will tell you is they will remove the DSC.

OP, sorry this happened to you (and others).   

There are some things that go wrong on cruises for which some amount of FCC or OBC might be acceptable.  Not having a working toilet for several days is NOT one of them.  That's a truly major thing.  I personally think a cash refund (not FCC) is in order.   If it's a one-week cruise, they should refund it all.  If it's a long cruise, maybe a partial cash refund.

Good luck!  Please let us know what happens.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, wsb225 said:

Hi,

I am currently sailing on the Breakaway in a Haven Suite.   During our cruise, we did not have a working suite/stateroom toilet for 3 days/nights.   It was very frustrating to have to use the general toilet but more so to have to get dressed to use the public toilet in the middle of the night.  It was finally fixed yesterday.   TThe Guest Services Manager said the problem was caused by other guest who disposed of items in the toilet that clogged the system.  This effected approximately 30 staterooms and suites.   The last of empathy from management was awe full.  

My question for everyone is what would feel is appropriate consideration for this very large inconvenience?  A future cruise credit?  A credit against your current shipboard charges?  A rebate on the current cruise fare?   

I would appreciate feedback on what everyone believes is fair and reasonable.    Thanks 

I would accept a 75% or 100% FCC. Work with the Concierge to set up a meeting with the General Manager (hotel director). Don't bother with anyone in between. 

• Like 5

I have been dealing with this today and I spoke directly with the General Manager of the Breakaway and he is who stated that NCL Corporate directed him offer the small FCC amount.   He stated that I must deal with NCL Corporate for any additional action or consideration.    As previously stated, this is an unacceptable outcome so far.  I will keep this post updated on any progress and final outcome.    

Thanks to all for the feedback and suggestions.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wsb225 said:

Agree the amount seems ok, but FCC is not a very reasonable offer to me.   I would demand a refund equal to that amount, as you may never cruise again.  You had to walk to a 'shared toilet' what, maybe 2 times a day for 6 trips pp?  

If there was a horrible smell, or showers and sink also not working or noises that prevented sleep, maybe more.  Did they offer to swap rooms and you refused?  Wondering what other dialog occured or if you said to them when you reported it that you would manage.  Seems you could have demanded a room change or something.

If you are diabled, I would think differently though. My wife thinks 3-6 days worth of cash credit, so I guess it is subjective.  That said, I think the 12% should be cash, not future credit.

Edited by Pizzasteve

6 minutes ago, Pizzasteve said:

Seems a very reasonable offer to me.  You had to walk to a 'shared toilet' what, maybe 2 times a day for 6 trips pp?  You want $1000 per walk or something?

Two times a day? Heck after having 5 kids I’d be thrilled getting up just twice a night, especially on vacation where my eating and drinking habits are not the norm.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Two times a day? Heck after having 5 kids I’d be thrilled getting up just twice a night, especially on vacation where my eating and drinking habits are not the norm.

I edited the response, as I realized the offer was not a refund.  My thinking is that bathrooms are not all that far and we have often stayed in hotels with shared facilities to save a bit or where that was the norm for B&B type rooms, like on rural hikes.  If one is enjoying the full facilities of a ship, eating, drinking, entertainment, one is mostly out of the room anyway.  Anyway, certainly if one has demonstratable bladder or other medical issues, then they should demand an immediate room change to one with a working toilet.

My guess is that the OP didnt want the inconvenience of a room change vs waiting for the fix, which to me signals a pricing on the 'level of inconvenience.'

Just trying to put myself in the shoes of 'both sides.' FCC is not acceptable to me, though, unless it is to OP.

Edited by Pizzasteve

Don’t lose sight…this was to be a Haven experience.  Either by upgrade or original purchase, doesn’t matter. Haven is positioned to deliver the ultimate cruise experience.  This was well below what I believe NCL brand (corporate marketing) would expect from their front line delivery (cruise ship operations).  IMO, reaching the NCL Marketing CEO (which generally has PR in their area of responsibility) would also be a good additional course of communication about your desires.  Be sure to mention your social media insights (cruise critic and FB groups) have guided you on your request for compensation.  Again, just my opinion having retired from an international hospitality company. Good luck.  Report back.  Ps…as an NCL shareholder…I, too, expect more from NCL.

• Like 10

16 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Don’t lose sight…this was to be a Haven experience.  Either by upgrade or original purchase, doesn’t matter. Haven is positioned to deliver the ultimate cruise experience.

Us peasants in steerage are generally just happy if there is any form of indoor plumbing. 😎🐀

• Haha 3

Be happy with what you were offered. On a POA cruise in 2018, my SIL and BIL had a suite with two bathrooms and both toilets repeatedly stopped working for the entire cruise. They were told that another room was flushing things that shouldn’t be flushed. Engineering and their butler repeatedly worked on their toilets. That’s definitely not in the butler’s job description, but I think he felt sorry for them. Of note, we had been in that same room in 2017 with no issues. They were in a port side suite. My in-laws and my family were in two starboard suites on the same cruise and had no plumbing issues. Despite repeated complaints to the butler and concierge, the only compensation they received was a bottle of champagne. That was their first and last NCL cruise. 

Three hours  without working toilet has happened to us, but 3 days is totally unacceptable.   Plumbers onboard, not like having to wait for one at home to respond.  Do whatever possible to get a refund to your credit card.   

• Like 5

Awful. Just awful. I don’t usually like to get involved in group outrage, but this might be an exception. For this kind of experience I would expect:

a) be relocated at least to the best possible stateroom one class down for the Duration of the outage or the whole cruise if it was more convenient not to have to move again, with full access to the haven areas

b) the cost of the haven suite refunded, minus the cost of what the relocated room would have cost. (So for example if haven was 8000 and you were moved to a balcony valued at about 2000, they should give you 6000 back)

c) one free future cruise of SOME kind (at least interior but really, it should be a balcony)

totally unacceptable and unsanitary in the current environment especially for paying haven customers, and With capacity being what it is, I don’t understand why they wouldn’t at least offer to move you to a regular stateroom with its own toilet. EWWW. 

• Like 4