RC still crushing luggage?

A couple years ago my son’s suitcase was crushed when they delivered it to his cabin. When the cabin attendant showed up we showed him the suitcase at which time he left and came back about 10 minutes later with a brand new suitcase for my son. It was a nice one too. I don’t remember the brand but it was a good quality suitcase. I figured they must have a stash of them somewhere for things like this. 

1 hour ago, Lane Hog said:

If you're worried about your wine bottles in a suitcase, then you're not following the rules.... Wine and other carry-on beverages are supposed to be in carry-on only.

Don't ever pack breakables.

But for flights, wine has to be packed in the checked bag.  Happens as much or more on planes than cruises.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shipgeeks said:

I'm still curious what port the OP referred to.  I would imagine the luggage handling is the port's longshoremen, not RC crew.

It was more than once and I don't remember which port. I cruise out of NYC &  Cape Liberty.  Have also done Boston and Philly. 

1 hour ago, poocher said:

But for flights, wine has to be packed in the checked bag.  Happens as much or more on planes than cruises.

True, which is why I buy it at the port city before boarding.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

In January, leaving out of NYC Pier 88, going on an NCL cruise, my slightly used suitcase arrived at our door with 3 wheels ripped off & one side completely cracked. The bottom of the case was also cracked and missing. Except for the one wheel which was still attached. I unpacked & brought the case to guest services & filled out a report. I was told someone would contact me the next day. No one ever contacted me. On day 3 I went back to guest services and I was told my suitcase had been sent to the carpenter to be repaired. I laughed out loud & told the woman at guest services that my suitcase was not made of wood & therefor I couldn’t imagine how a carpenter could fix my damaged case & that I needed to know asap what to do because on day 4 we would be in Puerto Rico & I knew there was a Marshall’s there to purchase a new suitcase. The woman at guest services called the carpentry department & surprise, surprise, he couldn’t fix it. They immediately brought out 2 very nice suitcases which I could chose the one I liked best to keep. Unfortunately, the cases were carry on sized. I was told NCL would give me $100 OBC if I have gave them a receipt from my new suitcase purchase. When we got to San Juan I ran to Marshalls & purchased the cheapest suitcase I could find for $129.99. What I discovered while at Marshall’s looking a suitcases was that there were actually 4 of us that had our suitcases damaged. So my recommendation would be to go to TJ Maxx or Marshall’s & buy a cheap suitcase & hope for the best. I’ve been on 19 cruises & I’ve only experienced this one time. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cram33 said:

Discovered I need a new suitcase for my upcoming cruise.  My last cruise was over 10 years ago.  Then, they stacked a ton of suitcases on a cart so high, many cases on the bottom (including mine) had parts get crushed and cracked.  Should I avoid a hard shell for this purpose?  Are they still destroying bags?  Any suggestions for a solid suitcase that won't cost the price of a cruise?

Costco. 

We have had hard sided luggage damaged. Guest services had the ship's carpenter cover the cracks with marine epoxy which was good enough to get us back home before totaling the case. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cram33 said:

Discovered I need a new suitcase for my upcoming cruise.  My last cruise was over 10 years ago.  Then, they stacked a ton of suitcases on a cart so high, many cases on the bottom (including mine) had parts get crushed and cracked.  Should I avoid a hard shell for this purpose?  Are they still destroying bags?  Any suggestions for a solid suitcase that won't cost the price of a cruise?

Google is your friend and you can find one that won't crush your wallet

Flying to California for a wedding several years ago, both ours and my daughter’s (different flight) suitcases took extended trips.  Arrived at our hotel the day after we did.  Both bags had grease stains & some snagging of the fabric.  Neither were unusable but SWA sent us a link to purchase new bags on line.  I don’t spend a lot on luggage.  My daughter’s was a 4 piece set of Samsonite I bought for less than $100 (got a second set for free because Amazon screwed up the delivery that I gave to my son so 2 sets for under $100!).  Ours was a nicer bag given to me as a gift but the grease came out and the snags are not big.  I know bags are gonna get damaged somewhere somehow.  I don’t pay much for them so I don’t worry about it.

Edited by poocher

Had an issue one time but that was on a Celebrity cruise.  They bought me a new suitcase when we hit port.  With RC, I've never really had an issue.  A scratch here and there but that's about it in almost 50 cruises so far.  

Again, thanks all.  The few times I saw bags crushed in a stack seem to be gone.  Decided to buy in a store and not Amazon to touch and compare.  I bought a nice large Travel Pro Crew VersaPack.  Got a ridiculous deal at Macy's and most of the cash was gift money sitting in a drawer. Hopefully it's a BIFL.

They just broke a delsey hard case on Oasis 7/22/22.  They pulled the handle right out.  First time we used it.  They gave us...$30 onboard credit.  Honestly, they came, they looked at it, they came back, they took it to see if they could fix it.  Then they offered $30
The lines at guest services were ridiculous all week and we were on a family trip.  I should have just went to the diamond concierge and complained but I did not.

If we were not enjoying ourselves with our kids and grandkids I'd give this cruise a 1. 

I have aluminum luggage, I've never had it damaged on a cruise ship but every time I travel by air there's a brand new dent in it. It's like the baggage handlers see my luggage coming and purposely throw it to see if they can dent it. This is the downside of aluminum luggage (it's also very heavy).

The plus side is that no matter how hard they throw it or how big the dent is on the outside, the contents on the inside are completely unscathed. 

If you want to make sure the contents inside the luggage won't break and won't get wet, go aluminum, just know the outside of your $1,000+ luggage will look like crap after the first use, and it weighs about 17lbs unpacked. 

Could be worse.   One day on Rhapsody, when she was still sailing out of PC...I was sitting up in the VCL during sail away, by the window.  

Looked down and then had to call out  "Anyone pack a large purple suitcase"?    Yup, floating along with us out with the tide...a very large purple suitcase trailing a luggage tag.  Surprised it had not sunk yet.  We were half way out...so I guess the luggage handler monkeys did not even notice it escaped off the luggage racks.  😮 

I pity the poor pax who were anxiously waiting for their luggage to arrive at their cabin.  🥺

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

Could be worse.   One day on Rhapsody, when she was still sailing out of PC...I was sitting up in the VCL during sail away, by the window.  

Looked down and then had to call out  "Anyone pack a large purple suitcase"?    Yup, floating along with us out with the tide...a very large purple suitcase trailing a luggage tag.  Surprised it had not sunk yet.  We were half way out...so I guess the luggage handler monkeys did not even notice it escaped off the luggage racks.  😮 

I pity the poor pax who were anxiously waiting for their luggage to arrive at their cabin.  🥺

That's funny, but of course not if it's "my" luggage!  (and I think CC needs a 😮 emoji on the "like" button).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

They dropped a whole pallet of luggage into the water at the nyc port getting on the Breakaway a few years ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ARandomTraveler said:

I have aluminum luggage, I've never had it damaged on a cruise ship but every time I travel by air there's a brand new dent in it. It's like the baggage handlers see my luggage coming and purposely throw it to see if they can dent it. This is the downside of aluminum luggage (it's also very heavy).

When I was in college I dated a guy who worked in baggage part-time at the airport.  He said those Samsonite commercials from the 70's with the gorillas tossing the luggage all over was 100% accurate as to how luggage is treated.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cram33 said:

I bought a nice large Travel Pro Crew VersaPack.  Got a ridiculous deal at Macy's and most of the cash was gift money sitting in a drawer. Hopefully it's a BIFL.

My Travelpro crew bag is over 15 years old, and the only thing that has ever failed were the zipper pulls (which I replaced for under $10 on Amazon).

There's a reason airlinec crews get provisioned with these $250+ bags and not a knockoff from TJ Maxx or Marshall's.  They last.

Edited by Lane Hog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Lane Hog said:

My Travelpro crew bag is over 15 years old, and the only thing that has ever failed were the zipper pulls (which I replaced for under $10 on Amazon).

There's a reason airlinec crews get provisioned with these $250+ bags and not a knockoff from TJ Maxx or Marshall's.  They last.

Travelpro are guaranteed.  The luggage stores fix them for a small fee.  We've had pieces over 15 yrs.

Had the cloth on a suitcase partially ripped when it arrived at our stateroom.  Our stateroom attendant filed a report for us and we were contacted by guest services.  After a short back-and-forth, they gave us 2 brand new suitcases (the damaged one was large, and they only had a medium size) and OBC (can't remember how much it was).  Guest Service rep actually came to our room to solve the issue, so I didn't have to go to them at all.

This was in August 2018 or 2019, out of Port Canaveral.