Are we crazy...thinking of only bringing carry on bags to Europe!

Cruising7in2017

23 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Now if everyone does this the deplaning process that is already clogged incredibly will get so delayed close connections will now be missed. My flight in late March took 30 minutes just to get off due to all the overhead bags.

Even before Covid every flight I’ve been on, and I fly often, has had every o/h bin filled.  The deplaning time has nothing to do with us smart travelers that know how to pack.

• Like 1

We are true-believers when it comes to Rick Steves' advice on most things, but we haven't tried his packing list yet.  I'm not sure if he has a modified list for cruises since his land based itineraries sometimes have recommended times and locations included for visiting laundromats.

If the airline/luggage issues persist we may give it a shot.  Using the ship's laundry doesn't bother me but my wife is hesitant to send anything.  And, no matter how careful I am in planning, I always come home with things I didn't wear.  If I could just identify those items before we leave it would be easier.😂

One note for those connecting through Heathrow (which requires international connecting passengers to be re-screened):  They are very serious about liquids being in clear plastic bags and their definition of "liquid" is more inclusive than any other we have seen.  

• Thanks 2

We hoped to do carry on for our upcoming trip and will give it a try.  I even purchased a light weight soft bag that attaches to my roll aboard and fits under the seat.

The limiting factor may be the weight restrictions.  While US carriers don’t have many weight limits for carry on bags others do.  We have a limit of 22 lbs in a carry on bag.   The personal item, while not having a weight limit has a size restriction of 11x15 x 6;  that 6” eliminates stuffed backpacks or a oversized purse.

While it was not a cruise. We did 16 nights in England late April with carry-on only. LHR was already have problems back in April. Our next 7 night cruise we are going to do carry-on only. 1 backpack and a 1 carry-on wheeled hardside suitcase.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Even before Covid every flight I’ve been on, and I fly often, has had every o/h bin filled.  The deplaning time has nothing to do with us smart travelers that know how to pack.

Sorry, it does. I’ve been a whole host of flights where all I do is stand and watch the massive amount of overhead bin suitcases being unloaded, many by passengers that can barely lift them and slowly tug them off the plane. I’ve been flying for 45 years snd I remember when the overheads just had briefcases and purses and deplaning took 10 minutes max. Now it’s a joke.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Virginia100 said:

Sorry, it does. I’ve been a whole host of flights where all I do is stand and watch the massive amount of overhead bin suitcases being unloaded, many by passengers that can barely lift them and slowly tug them off the plane. I’ve been flying for 45 years snd I remember when the overheads just had briefcases and purses and deplaning took 10 minutes max. Now it’s a joke.

Not to mention the concussions suffered by innocent passengers sitting in their seats when people haul the overhead luggage out without thinking about how heavy the things are.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

I really don't think you have to worry that this is going to become a trend..... way too many people will continue to over-pack, especially for cruises.  You may as well worry about people not eating enough fat and sugar to support the fast food industry.

Edited by vjmatty
typo
  • Haha 5

The increased use of overhead bins was first caused by airline baggage fees more than anything.  That has morphed some over the years but still is a big contributing factor.  I prefer to do carry-on for most any trip simply because it is often faster than waiting for baggage, especially at my local DC airport (National), where it seems to always take half an hour for bags to appear on the carousel no matter the time of day.

Not helpful is that airlines have gotten rid of the closets that used to be used for storage so now passengers are competing with crew for space above the seats.  Maddening to be in First and not able to use the bin above your row because it is stuffed with equipment.  The size of many bins has also shrunk.  A flight I was on last month had room for a single bag turned sideways above each row and everyone else had to gate check.  More and more you have to fight for space anywhere near your seat and are often out of luck if you have a later boarding group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Virginia100 said:

Then you must be in a rush to do your waiting at the baggage carousel.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, jgmorgan said:

We are true-believers when it comes to Rick Steves' advice on most things, but we haven't tried his packing list yet.  I'm not sure if he has a modified list for cruises since his land based itineraries sometimes have recommended times and locations included for visiting laundromats.

If the airline/luggage issues persist we may give it a shot.  Using the ship's laundry doesn't bother me but my wife is hesitant to send anything.  And, no matter how careful I am in planning, I always come home with things I didn't wear.  If I could just identify those items before we leave it would be easier.😂

One note for those connecting through Heathrow (which requires international connecting passengers to be re-screened):  They are very serious about liquids being in clear plastic bags and their definition of "liquid" is more inclusive than any other we have seen.  

Have done a lot of travel my view of Rick Steve's advice is a bit different.  His recommendations very quickly become the mass gathering spots of US tourists, even if they were not when he made the recommendation.  To us a Rick Steve's recommendation is a sure indicator of a location overwhelmed with tourists and in many cases not the same as when he made the recommendation. Too many just buy his guide book and follow it exclusively.  We mostly use it to identify hotels and restaurants to avoid.

I have done trips covering multiple zones (Mountains, vs ocean vs desert, etc extending longer than 30 days using a carry on and a small backpack.  There are many types of clothing that is quick drying and if you need to can be washed out in a sink and dry overnight.  Even so had plenty of different clothes for different weather and different venues.

6 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Sounds like a nightmare how did you manage? Hope you had good travel insurance but can’t even begin to image trying to shop for all the day wear, evening wear, gym wear, bags, shoes, runners, toiletries to name but a few🫣

Thank heavens for our wonderful roll call! Since we were luggageless before most members flew to Amsterdam, many of them brought items for us to borrow. DH and I shopped in Berlin and Amsterdam, primarily at the C&A stores. We were complimented on our clothing choices and luckily most fellow cruisers were of an age where they didn’t recall our many repetitions. So we didn’t spend a lot of money on the clothes we rushed to buy, which was a good thing since airberlin never reimbursed us a euro! And all our belongings were Intact when we were finally reunited with our bags at AMS.

Actually, one of the more upsetting things about this experience occurred 3 years later when we were on an Avalon tour of Nuremberg and passed by a C&A.

The guide pointed it out to all on our bus, loudly proclaiming the initials stood for CHEAP AND AWFUL!

Okay I just have to respond.  Yes, we do carry-ons, even when we are gone for three weeks.  My wife and I are 76 years old, and I have been flying pretty much all my business life .  When you are gone for three days at a time on business, you get really good at packing quickly and efficiently.  That logic just carries over to our current travels as we enjoy traveling in our retirement years.

Now, we do not take time to retrieve our carry-ons as we deplane.  My personal item is in my left hand (if I am on the left side of the plane), and as I stand up, my right hand reaches up and takes my carry-on from the overhead,  And then I deplane.  No lost motion waiting for me "to get my luggage".  I will say that my wife and I deplane quicker with our carry-ons than most other people do as they leisurely just take their time even grabbing their purse from the overhead.  

I just had to respond.  We deplane as quickly as anyone, as we are conscious that we do have our carry-ons and our personal items with us.  I know this is not a forum to "vent",  but those of you that blame carry-ons for delays in getting off the plane, that may be true, but certainly not for my wife and I.  I too have seen those that wait to get out of their seat until the last moment, then stand in the aisle and reach down for their personal item under  the seat, then have to go a few rows back to get their carry-ons from the overheads.

We are always in the first boarding section after first class, so we always get to put our carry-ons right over our seats or those adjacent to ours.  

Enough.  Let's go enjoy our cruise.  

• Like 2

We have used the ScottyVest line for travel with great success. Many items have up to 23 pockets in their outerwear jackets that can carry as much as a carryon. 
There are no airline restrictions on jackets etc that I know of.

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, lifeisrealygood said:

Okay I just have to respond.  Yes, we do carry-ons, even when we are gone for three weeks.  My wife and I are 76 years old, and I have been flying pretty much all my business life .  When you are gone for three days at a time on business, you get really good at packing quickly and efficiently.  That logic just carries over to our current travels as we enjoy traveling in our retirement years.

Now, we do not take time to retrieve our carry-ons as we deplane.  My personal item is in my left hand (if I am on the left side of the plane), and as I stand up, my right hand reaches up and takes my carry-on from the overhead,  And then I deplane.  No lost motion waiting for me "to get my luggage".  I will say that my wife and I deplane quicker with our carry-ons than most other people do as they leisurely just take their time even grabbing their purse from the overhead.  

I just had to respond.  We deplane as quickly as anyone, as we are conscious that we do have our carry-ons and our personal items with us.  I know this is not a forum to "vent",  but those of you that blame carry-ons for delays in getting off the plane, that may be true, but certainly not for my wife and I.  I too have seen those that wait to get out of their seat until the last moment, then stand in the aisle and reach down for their personal item under  the seat, then have to go a few rows back to get their carry-ons from the overheads.

We are always in the first boarding section after first class, so we always get to put our carry-ons right over our seats or those adjacent to ours.  

Enough.  Let's go enjoy our cruise.  

A number of years ago I was on a business trip with an Associate Commissioner of the FDA to Belgium.  The meeting involved a number of senior level meetings with the EU and Japanese MHW and a reception for the various delegate group.   When we got back to DC and getting ready to leave baggage claim I asked her were her bag was.  She pointed at her large handbag and stated that was it.  This is someone in a 4 day trip attended several meetings and a reception.  Did not appear to repeat what she was wearing.  Always dressed very stylish.  She said it was all in picking things to mix and match.  

For those concerned about toiletries, there are toothpaste pills and mouthwash pills. I’m not sure on the links policy here, but try stuff from By Humankind. They also have travel sized bars of shampoo, conditioner, and soap. I’ve used those before and they last a good week or more. I also am happy to use what’s available on the ship or in a better hotel. 

I do understand sometimes you need specific brands. My spouse needs particular soap and hair products for skin issues so he will always carry his toiletries.

I would really like to travel Carry-on only for the simplicity of it. Waiting for luggage for an hour is a buzz-kill, both at the beginning and ending of a trip. I’m still a bit nervous that I could make it happen. With our trips next year, I’m sure we’ll take one carry-on  between us with 1-2 days worth of stuff in case the checked bags go missing.

I do have some camera gear and a decent camera backpack now (Peak Deisgn) that can handle a lot, so I may yet pull off carry-on only. Even when packing ruthlessly (so I thought), I still had items I wore only once or not at all on the last two trips, so there is room for improvement.

On 7/27/2022 at 4:16 PM, Cruising7in2017 said:

Are we crazy? Anybody else only doing only carry on for European cruise (7 night cruise plus 2 before and 3 after)?

I have had so many friends that have lost luggage this summer traveling or it arrives 10 days late!

I think everything we can fit everything in our carry on if we a launder our sundresses/bring steamer, since it is like 95 degrees in most of our ports, all of the clothes are light. We are a family of 5 (kids clothes are smaller too). Think it is doable? We are traveling 1st class, I am not sure if that helps, 1 roller carry on and personal item (backpack w/electronics/books/empty water bottle)? Has anyone else done this or had bad luck with luggage this summer. 

TIA

I do not think steamers are allowed onboard.  You might want to read the list of unapproved items.  I guess they want their laundry service to get the money instead of you steaming your own items.

• Like 1

Guess the OP will be doing Laundry every night, not my idea of a vacation.   With the summer heat wave it will be even worse and you have children.   When we are in a hot area, we often change clothes twice a day as we hate sitting around in sweaty clothes.   We also change for dinner.   Certainly never shower and put on the same clothes in a hot climate.   A winter vacation would require as many clothes changes.    You would be better off on a line with a self service laundry, that’s not Celebrity.

• Like 1

I travel to Europe only in Spring and Fall so carry/wear a fleece vest which, along with my rain poncho, is my primary layering piece for warmth.  It has loads of pockets.  If necessary, I'll wear it on the plane for flights where my carryon items are weighed.  I stuff every pocket (especially the heavy things = external battery, quart bag of liquids, etc) until I know the carryons will pass.  I've seen others do this, too.  It's an absurdly bulky fashion statement, but it's gotten me by the gate agents in Europe every time.  My personal item is now a zip top tote with zippered expansion which opens wide to hold all the pocketed things once I get aboard.

I've traveled solo twice via train for two weeks precruise with a rollaboard and backpack (shipped my 25" bag to the final hotel each time).  Black walking shoes (mesh which dry quickly), black sandals, black slacks and jeans, black and white button-front and pullover tops w/varying sleeve lengths, black tanks, a vest, rain poncho, and lots and lots of scarves.  That again will be the wardrobe packed in my carryon this October.  I always HOPE my checked bag makes it but if it doesn't, I'll survive.  No one remembers what you wear anyway.  BTW, I've only endured one (knock wood) 15-night TA when my 25" suitcase took an altogether different trip.

When traveling to a warm destination like Europe in summer, I bring a carry-on bag. Summer clothing is light and small. Mixing and matching is key. My trips are usually 3-5 weeks in length. Very doable - even if you're a person who likes to dress up (like me)! I will do laundry a couple of times, but some stuff I bring is so easy to wash and dries so quickly that it's not a hassle to me. Other items like 100% silk, etc. require handwashing anyways, so I'd rather do it myself.

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Guess the OP will be doing Laundry every night, not my idea of a vacation.   With the summer heat wave it will be even worse and you have children.   When we are in a hot area, we often change clothes twice a day as we hate sitting around in sweaty clothes.   We also change for dinner.   Certainly never shower and put on the same clothes in a hot climate.   A winter vacation would require as many clothes changes.    You would be better off on a line with a self service laundry, that’s not Celebrity.

It’s obviously not for everyone.