Azamara Quest Cabins

tocruiseguy

Hello all, we are looking to get back to cruising we have found a cruise we like on Azamara (over 20 days onboard).  I have read that the cabins are quite small, just wondering about thoughts from those who have cruised on Azamara as to how much a big deal cruising in a smaller cabin is.  We have mostly cruised on Celebrity in the past but are hoping to move a little more upscale, with either Azamara, Oceania or Viking.  We both just turned 60 and are very active and like a bit of night life on our cruises, so any comment on the ambience on the Azamara would also be appreciated.   Thanks!

If it’s a port intensive itinerary, it may not make a big difference.  Inside, ocean view and verandahs are comfortable.  Bathrooms are small.  Club continents are larger with a nice size bathroom. Suites are spacious with very nice size bathrooms 

• Like 1

It depends on so many things. We spend very little time in our cabin, so we’re not worried. I wouldn’t have said they were any smaller than standard cabins on HAL which is the other line we’ve been on. If you don’t want to pay the extra for a Club Continent Suite which has 50% more space than the standard Inside, Ocean View & Balcony cabins, there are 4 Ocean View cabins that are quite a lot bigger. These are the front two side  cabins on Decks 6 & 7 (6004, 6005, 7006, 7007). The cabins next door to them have balconies, but these 4 have that balcony space incorporated inside the cabin.

• Like 5

Data consideration

75% of guests do not occupy suites 

On our current cruise it’s the highest number of repeat cruisers since the pandemic (over 67%)

A large % of them are not in suites

Non suites therefore work for many - you could even say the majority 

• Like 11

Regarding your question on night-life, the evening entertainment onboard follows a pattern of once- nightly shows provided by Cruise Director/Assistant and a small group of dancers and singers and musicians, with an occasional guest entertainer.  No big scale productions.  The atmosphere is more intimate and there is usually something to entertain most tastes.  Pre-dinner music in bar and disco type music after about 10.45 pm.  Depending on the cruise, it can be a lively crowd but sometimes less so, especially if it is port intensive and people are getting up early for tours etc.  I believe bigger ships in the Celebrity fleet have more onboard entertainment.  I remember that Oceania entertainment was similar to Azamara but can’t compare with Viking.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, tocruiseguy said:

Hello all, we are looking to get back to cruising we have found a cruise we like on Azamara (over 20 days onboard).  I have read that the cabins are quite small, just wondering about thoughts from those who have cruised on Azamara as to how much a big deal cruising in a smaller cabin is.  We have mostly cruised on Celebrity in the past but are hoping to move a little more upscale, with either Azamara, Oceania or Viking.  We both just turned 60 and are very active and like a bit of night life on our cruises, so any comment on the ambience on the Azamara would also be appreciated.   Thanks!

I'll keep my reply general. I had cruised exclusively on Celebrity up to 2011. At the age of 38 I decided like you I wanted something more upscale and intimate and was persuaded by a friend to go with her and family on Azamara Journey. 

For me the experience on Azamara is superior, mainly due to the itineraries that take you in closer (and sometimes to ports and routes  the larger ships can't get to) and the friendly.and attentive service I've received from the crew. My biggest fear having been used to Celebrity was the size of the cabins. You will read many posts here of how small the standard cabins are. I needn't have worried. I was in a standard verandah and ok, it's smaller than X, but I got on fine. 

Just a note that I've stayed in all sorts of cabins from inside to Club World Owner's Suite, but am always just glad to be back on the ship whatever stateroom type I'm in. I'll often have a window cabin on deck 4 because I like the location. There is none of this "suite class" nonsense that seems to prevail on Celebrity now. You get treated just the same whatever cabin you have. I like that. 

Give Azamara a try. I'm glad I did. They aren't perfect, but I always enjoy the honest service I receive and the different itineraries. 

Phil 

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

We have cruised Azamara once and have another one booked for 2023, the itinerary is the draw.   (Regent is the cruise line we use most)  The veranda cabins are small.  Our 2023 cruise will be Club Continent which for me seemed worth the increase.  We like to have coffee in our rooms while getting ready and a drink while getting ready for dinner.  Then the extras that come with the Club Continent are also good.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the numbers.

Azamara cabin SQ footage: Interior - 158, Oceanview - 143, Verandah - 175 + 40.

Celebrity Silhouette cabin SQ footage: Interior - 183, Oceanview - 176, Verandah - 192 + 54.

Azamara cabins are some 30 sq ft smaller; the difference really shows in the bathroom, which is at least 10 sq ft or 50% smaller; the cabin itself turns out to be only 10% smaller than those on Celebrity ships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andrcan said:

Out of curiosity, I looked at the numbers.

Azamara cabin SQ footage: Interior - 158, Oceanview - 143, Verandah - 175 + 40.

Celebrity Silhouette cabin SQ footage: Interior - 183, Oceanview - 176, Verandah - 192 + 54.

Azamara cabins are some 30 sq ft smaller; the difference really shows in the bathroom, which is at least 10 sq ft or 50% smaller; the cabin itself turns out to be only 10% smaller than those on Celebrity ships.

The OV square footage is a bit misleading because it refers to the deck 6 category 08s that face sideways.  They are the smallest cabins on the ship (although having stayed in one they don't really feel it because of how they are arranged and they don't have a corridor from the cabin door).  The non accessible cat 05s and the cat 06s on deck 4 are the same size as the verandahs pretty much. The cat 04 OVs on decks 6 and 7 are slightly bigger because they have t he extra space that a balcony would take up. 

I'd agree. It's the bathroom, particularly the shower that is most noticeable because it's not totally square, but it works for me fine. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The OV square footage is a bit misleading because it refers to the deck 6 category 08s that face sideways.  They are the smallest cabins on the ship (although having stayed in one they don't really feel it because of how they are arranged and they don't have a corridor from the cabin door).  The non accessible cat 05s and the cat 06s on deck 4 are the same size as the verandahs pretty much. The cat 04 OVs on decks 6 and 7 are slightly bigger because they have t he extra space that a balcony would take up. 

I'd agree. It's the bathroom, particularly the shower that is most noticeable because it's not totally square, but it works for me fine. 

Phil 

Thanks, Phil - I should have mentioned that - this deck 6 "obstructed view" cabin is the one we stayed in and I used its square footage as the worst case scenario. Before the cruise, we were worried about the cabin size and were pleasantly surprised by how spacious it feels when we walked in. Other OV cabins are bigger indeed.

• Like 1

Oceania has recently designated those deck 6 sideways oceanview cabins on their R-ships as Solo Oceanview Staterooms, at a special single fare.  That makes up for the smaller size with a smaller price, and for a single the size should be less of an issue [except the shower, which only 1 person ever uses at a time!]

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Oceania has recently designated those deck 6 sideways oceanview cabins on their R-ships as Solo Oceanview Staterooms, at a special single fare.  That makes up for the smaller size with a smaller price, and for a single the size should be less of an issue [except the shower, which only 1 person ever uses at a time!]

That is a great idea and one that solo friendly Azamara should do. There's no sofa in there, but it's a very useable space. The wardrobe is much easier to access. The bathroom is standard size. I had one of the end cabins and it had a view. Of sort. I'd stay in one again and if they priced it at a cheaper solo rate for those cruises where the single supplement isn't reduced it definitely makes sense. You ought to write to Azamara!  

Phil A9F19610-E529-455D-8A62-0A2D44EEDF9C.thumb.jpeg.f0185346e635d48b5701c69a17026f79.jpegB7A202F8-E5E2-4472-9D73-1272126D50B5.thumb.jpeg.a76521fd473b09fe970f445a84c43a27.jpegD0635DFA-B1C1-4F0B-A102-8A9434D5F31F.thumb.jpeg.432931d8c488bb4cb7aac18d1a7b7c4d.jpeg

• Like 3

On 7/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, tocruiseguy said:

...I have read that the cabins are quite small, just wondering about thoughts from those who have cruised on Azamara as to how much a big deal cruising in a smaller cabin is...

We didn't find the cabin to be a problem per se, but you really don't want to drop your bar of soap whilst in the shower....unless you can do limbo!! We were reminded of this recently on Oceania, where the showers have a perspex door. From memory, Az had a shower curtain which gives a tiny bit of leeway!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 7/27/2022 at 11:32 PM, tocruiseguy said:

.....We have mostly cruised on Celebrity in the past but are hoping to move a little more upscale, with either Azamara, Oceania or Viking....

Depending on what you mean by 'more upscale', Az may disappoint. The MDR food is no better than most mass cruiselines, and not as good as Cunard. We recently sailed Oceania which is similar to Az in some regards, but their MDR and buffet culinary experience is vastly superior to Az.

So if food is a significant part of your cruise experience, I'd be inclined to pass on Az. 😉

4 hours ago, hamrag said:

Depending on what you mean by 'more upscale', Az may disappoint. The MDR food is no better than most mass cruiselines, and not as good as Cunard. We recently sailed Oceania which is similar to Az in some regards, but their MDR and buffet culinary experience is vastly superior to Az.

So if food is a significant part of your cruise experience, I'd be inclined to pass on Az. 😉

Can’t agree. We’ve sailed on one mass market cruise line, HAL, and the food on Azamara is much, much better!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Can’t agree. We’ve sailed on one mass market cruise line, HAL, and the food on Azamara is much, much better!

I agree.  And we've done several mass market, including Celebrity.  Have no interest in Oceania, as it's big brother, Regent, was a major disappointment in just about every way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hamrag said:

Eating is one of my great pleasures in life. We’ve cruised on Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Costa, CMV, Silversea, Viking, and Seabourn as well as Azamara. It’s very subjective, but I think the food on Azamara has always been very good, and frequently exceptional. Not every menu choice has bowled me over, but that’s true of every other cruise line we’ve tried, as well.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hamrag said:

I have over 40 cruises to my credit on nine different cruise lines, and I would have to say Oceania was the biggest disappointment despite the fact the fact they were the most hyped.

The ships were dead at 10:30pm at night as everyone was wrapped up in bed.The crew were uninspiring,, but the biggest disappointment of all was the food.

I found the food very dated, stuck in the 1970, and 80’s. Yes it was well cooked and well presented but when you have a consultant chef who is well in his 80’s the food just lacked imagination and flair cross the ship.

I have been a regular Az cruise and cruised Az post Covid  twice in the past 10 months and have found the food and the new menus to have what is almost a cutting edge. There are lots of ethnic touches and flavours filled with the spices and discoveries that Azamara is all about.

I know not everyone is thrilled by the infusion of spice, but I think the new approach is clever and setting the mark for destination immersion brand.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

12 hours ago, lisiamc said:

Eating is one of my great pleasures in life. We’ve cruised on Celebrity, Princess, Royal Caribbean, Costa, CMV, Silversea, Viking, and Seabourn as well as Azamara. It’s very subjective, but I think the food on Azamara has always been very good, and frequently exceptional. Not every menu choice has bowled me over, but that’s true of every other cruise line we’ve tried, as well.

That's a much fairer evaluation. Your opinion rather than a statement of 'fact' from the post you quoted "the food is no better than most mass market cruise lines". 

For the record I've always enjoyed food in the MDR, but I eat at every venue when I'm on a cruise, from buffet to Specialties and through The Patio, White Night and sometimes even room service. I like to mix it up. 

Phil 

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 6

Currently on Quest. It’s a different chef from April and the food so far is cooked much better and the menu choices more varied. It’s also way better than pre pandemic. I think as well as personal taste the particular ships can make a huge difference as to whether a dish ticks the box for you or not depending on their approaches to spicing and seasonings. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 8:21 PM, Grandma Cruising said:

I have no problem listening to the views of others, despite the fact that some Azamites seem unable to cope with contrary views. I have respected your opinions about Az before we sailed them, and still do, and most were accurate. For us, having now sailed 16 cruiselines of which 12 were 'mass' cruiselines across 54 cruises, we stand by our Az experience.....The MDR food we experienced was no better than most mass cruiselines, and not as good as Cunard.

We shall probably give Az another try, so it will be interesting to evaluate our culinary experience in such event. 

Edited by hamrag

1 hour ago, hamrag said:

I have no problem listening to the views of others, despite the fact that some Azamites seem unable to cope with contrary views. I have respected your opinions about Az before we sailed them, and still do, and most were accurate. For us, having now sailed 16 cruiselines of which 12 were 'mass' cruiselines across 54 cruises, we stand by our Az experience.....The MDR food we experienced was no better than most mass cruiselines, and not as good as Cunard.

We shall probably give Az another try, so it will be interesting to evaluate our culinary experience in such event. 

Maybe it's not the Azamites who "seem unable to cope with contrary views."

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 3