Self serve laundry on the Equinox?

sinned19

For those who want to do hand washing in their stateroom, here is an item that looks like it would simplify the task.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N68XF0O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I've hand washed clothing in my cabin before and the sinks in the bathrooms are not very big.  I end up making a mess of water sloshing all over the floor when trying to wash in the tiny sinks.  

On 7/28/2022 at 11:28 AM, SusieV said:

Be careful with your laundry and make sure you write a list of what you sent out. We have had missing items before and had to ask them to look.

We always do use the free Elite laundry because it's so handy, but I've had clothes ruined before (which I'll say they promptly paid for) and missing items. It's just wash and fold, not pressed.

I snap a pic of the the sheet with my phone.  I've never had anything go missing, but I have had other people's laundry in my return laundry.  

15 minutes ago, Kmangel said:

For those who want to do hand washing in their stateroom, here is an item that looks like it would simplify the task.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N68XF0O/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_6?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I've hand washed clothing in my cabin before and the sinks in the bathrooms are not very big.  I end up making a mess of water sloshing all over the floor when trying to wash in the tiny sinks.  

Good idea.   I use a flat rubber jar opener that weights about 1oz. Use it to cover the shower drain. 

• Like 1

On Celebrity ships, if a crew member in the laundry chooses to mix together items from two or more passengers, he/she will do something to distinguish between the two batches.

On some ships -- believe it or not -- the crew member will use a permanent black marker and write  numbers or letters on any tag that can be found (usually on the back inside of the neck). 

On other ships, little cloth tabs (with a letter-or-number code on the front and a bit of adhesive on the back) are stuck down on each of a guest's items.  Sometimes, these tabs are annoyingly difficult to remove; if removed with too much force, the garment may suffer a tear.  (The crew member will not remove them!)

Edited by jg51

14 minutes ago, jg51 said:

On other ships, little cloth tabs (with a letter-or-number code on the front and a bit of adhesive on the back) are stuck down on each of a guest's items.  Sometimes, these tabs are annoyingly difficult to remove; if removed with too much force, the garment may suffer a tear.  (The crew member will not remove them!)

Yes, those little tags, usually placed right on the threads of a seam, are tough to remove from some items without ripping threads or the fabric. I don't send out anything that is at all delicate as a result. If the washing/drying doesn't ruin it, the tags will.

2 hours ago, jg51 said:

On Celebrity ships, if a crew member in the laundry chooses to mix together items from two or more passengers, he/she will do something to distinguish between the two batches…….

This reminded me of a post a few years ago. A woman said the reason she’d not use a ship laundry was because she didn’t want her clothes washed with other peoples’, saying “You have no idea what they’ve done in those clothes!”…..

I couldn’t control myself. I pointed out that she should immediately cancel all cruises. Reminded her that the SR towels and robes are washed communally, and so are the SR sheets….and she didn’t Even want to think what people have done between those sheets! I didnt end and had to mention she should also stay out of all hotels, since……

For some reason she didnt appreciate my response. And here I was just trying to warn her!!

Edit: Ive told this story before, but just cant keep from ‘sharing it’ one more time!!!

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2022 at 10:07 AM, Redtravel said:

That service isn’t great. 3 day turn around. Folded even when told to iron.  Had to chance down clothes at end of cruise.  Even free, no worth using.  It used to be really good. Like everything, it isn’t what it was before the pandemic.  Bring clothing that you can wash out yourself.  Leave the heavy clothes home. There lines in the showers. I bring a flexoline that I bought on Magellan.  It comes in handy.  

So pay $10,000 to get free laundry. What a deal.  Lol. I will stay with my common folk cabin and pay for laundry. 

We usually now book RS and PH so have free laundry, we are also E+ so get free laundry and frequently only put in 1 or 2 bags of bits and pieces per cruise.

I guess all the years of needing to pack carefully have paid off…We tend to have darker coloured evening wear, our ‘cruise wardrobe’ only contains fabrics that don’t crease, we only choose lightweight fabrics…

Perhaps next cruise I should pack unwisely to get my ‘money’s worth’ from my suite and Captain’s Club status!

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

This reminded me of a post a few years ago. A woman said the reason she’d not use a ship laundry was because she didn’t want her clothes washed with other peoples’, saying “You have no idea what they’ve done in those clothes!”…..

I couldn’t control myself. I pointed out that she should immediately cancel all cruises. Reminded her that the SR towels and robes are washed communally, and so are the SR sheets….and she didn’t Even want to think what people have done between those sheets! I didnt end and had to mention she should also stay out of all hotels, since……

For some reason she didnt appreciate my response. And here I was just trying to warn her!!

Edit: Ive told this story before, but just cant keep from ‘sharing it’ one more time!!!

den

Den, I also sometimes feel like a broken record repeating the same advice and anecdotes…I remind myself they are hopefully new to the original poster and the old stories are usually the best!

10 hours ago, Denny01 said:

LOL! She should be more concerned what people did in her bed just mere hours before she boarded the ship. Some people... But I know folks who don't like using the bathtub at hotels for example for the same reason, yet they go into a hot tub.

22 hours ago, SusieV said:

That's so, but it isn't specific enough. I know how many of each type of garment was sent out, but not which specific ones. If I send out four sundresses and only get three back, I might struggle to remember which one is missing.

I lay out on the bed any large pieces I would hate to go missing.  I then take a picture of all the items at once as a reference.  Carnival also has self-service laundries on their ships.  

22 hours ago, SusieV said:

That's so, but it isn't specific enough. I know how many of each type of garment was sent out, but not which specific ones. If I send out four sundresses and only get three back, I might struggle to remember which one is missing.

Did this actually happen or are you saying you may not remember a specific missing piece? I know a few posters are saying they lost a piece, and I reported one had to be retrieved, but having used the laundry on many cruises, I havent had losing a piece happen beyond that one time.

den

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Did this actually happen or are you saying you may not remember a specific missing piece? I know a few posters are saying they lost a piece, and I reported one had to be retrieved, but having used the laundry on many cruises, I havent had losing a piece happen beyond that one time.

den

This actually happened to me. More than once, actually.

13 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

And Disney - the laundry rooms on the new ship look luxe….

The day I am tempted to book a cruise based on the luxury level of their self service laundry is the day I will decide I need to cruise no more and spend my leisure time in my utility area…

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

Well who knew, I have been doing it all wrong booking Celebrity when Disney has luxe laundry rooms, I guess I will see you soon Mickey, NOT!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, NanaPam00 said:

Oh, and be on a ship with talking Rats running around looose!?! Nope. Even if the laundry room is luxurious. Didn’t realize that was a phrase I’d ever see…..I need to contact my contractor immediately and order one!

And yes, @NanaPam00, I actually understand what you are describing, but I just couldn’t keep from joking a bit. If a laundry room is going to be added to a vacation experience, nice that it isnt like one of our local laundromats.

Important that this is true since there is No Way my wife would step into one on vacation…which means I would.

den

• Like 1