Too old for European cruising???

gunnywife

I'm 86 and love my independence,  But I sure welcome help with heavy things like luggage and I gladly will be happy for help getting off and on the ship.  But I wouldn't want my kids to tell me what to do insofar as everyday things, like what to eat or not eat, or suggestions when I should get rest. etc.

Let the elders be grateful for help but the younger people have to know there are limits on what they can do for them.

Just my humble opinion

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check on getting a scooter for the ship. A HAL Alaskan cruise I was on May 2022 a lot of scooters. One person I talked to, while playing blackjack, said the scooter helped his wife to be more independent. They both were happier because of the scooter.

Edited by dmnaab
  • Like 1

I'm taking a Tauck European river cruise next month, and my cruise docs specifically say "We regret that this Tauck itinerary cannot accommodate wheelchairs or motorized scooters".  

I just returned from a 23 Day trip in Europe that included a 12 day Rome to Israel cruise. We did it as a 70+ couple on our own. My advice is to carefully consider your physical limitations. Several older people on our tours should have gone on private tours in a car rather then private van or regular ship excursions.

There were some significant snafus on the some tours that required fast paced walking. Istanbul was hugely problematic and both private and ship excursions and taxis were caught in gridlocked traffic on the way back to the ship. People got separated in the crowds. It seems the tram is the best way! We all got off the bus right in the middle of the street and fast walked to the ship. Several struggled.

Many places in Europe are not very accessible, especially ancient sites. Pushing a wheelchair up a hill might be a lot to ask of even family.

We are quite cognizant that our years of more independent travel are soon coming to an end. Some people expect strangers on tours to accommodate their physical limitations. This is only something you might ask of kind family. 

• Like 3

My concern for me and my 89 yo mother is the memory turning sour.  Please check with you physician before sailing.  I am only in my 60s and I always check particularly when traveling outside of modern western style healthcare or for long periods. 

For those who are assisting their more elderly parents or friends: carry an assortment of over the counter meds for your travel group. The ships no longer allow them to be sold in their stores and the pharmacies on land may not carry your preferred items. You may need them on a sea days when a trip to a port pharmacy can't happen. You will be forced to go to the medical center.

The typical ailments are headaches, joint pain,  diarrhea or constipation, scrapes and skin lesions, foot problems, and various types of cruise crud beyond COVID (cough, URI, etc.)  Our physician always prescribes an antibiotic for us which we have rarely had to use. 

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 9/4/2022 at 7:23 PM, SPacificbound said:

We use Cunard's Queen Mary 2 out of NYC to avoid those long and unpleasant flights. Have also booked Queen Mary to come back to the US. The older I get the more I detest flying.

I also love to cruise and have decided at my age and sailing solo Queen Mary 2 out of NYC is the best way for me to see Europe.  You do the round trip so no flights and the atmosphere on the ship is so different than the main lines. More live music, lectures most day, an English pub, ballroom dancing.

• 2 weeks later...

I started this topic last June and now I just want to tell you that I have made the final payments on our cruise to the British Isles.  We're all looking forward to a fun trip.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and suggestions.  They were greatly appreciated.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2023 at 5:30 PM, gunnywife said:

I started this topic last June and now I just want to tell you that I have made the final payments on our cruise to the British Isles.  We're all looking forward to a fun trip.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and suggestions.  They were greatly appreciated.

I hope you have a wonderful time🙂 I am going on cruise to the British Isles too!

On 8/2/2022 at 2:17 PM, Mary229 said:

You know your health and as I often say you should talk to your trusted personal physician.  Your age, your speed, your needs are not the true issue, the issue is if you are in danger of needing serious medical services.   Only you and your physician can make that determination.  

I usually wouldn’t say this but having read so many threads recently I think it needs to be said.  Do not expect medical services from your cruise line any more than you would from your hotel.   

Just now, diogenes65 said:

Health Insurance is a must. On April 29, HH60 Jayhawk helicopters from the US Coast Guard Sector San Diego evacuated four passengers from three cruse ships.  Not bad for  one nights flying.  You'll never know when you'll require medica assistance.

• Like 2

On 7/28/2022 at 3:53 PM, JER/MPR said:

Go for it you and your family will have wonderful memories.  We have seen many your age having a great time, we hope to be able to travel at that age.  Airports all have golf carts to drive you from the gate, as some are long walks.  Many passengers never leave the ship and are very happy.  

And ensure your travel agent notes on your airline ticket “wheelchair”. Even if you don’t require it during the whole time, many airports are checking boarding passes before you use the golf cart. Can help going through the airport, customs. 

On 8/24/2022 at 12:52 PM, Roz said:

I'm able bodied, but those big cobblestones can really tear up your feet and legs.  They're something a lot of Americans aren't prepared for.

The trick to cobblestones is footwear with a thicker sole and a cushiony insole.  My new favourites for sightseeing are a pair of plain lightweight athletic style shoes. 

I'm only 60 but I have a bum knee and some other issues, so these are some of the things I've come up with:

I go through pages of reviews and photos to find information about the physical difficulty of tours and attractions.  Often people put their gopro on and you can see them, say, walking to the Briksdal glacier.  

If breathless on a hill, stop and pretend your phone buzzed and check it until you catch your breath...or stop and take photos of the buildings! 😄

Take the arm of a family member for extra stability...even at my age I do that for slick or really rough surfaces.  I know my husband is sure-footed...me, not so much! so I use him as a walking banister!

This year I plan to bring one of those plastic folding step stools for getting on and off tour buses...I might chicken out, but that's my plan at this point.  City buses are no problem, but at 5'3" with a bum knee, I find tall long-distance buses difficult to exit without hurting my knee..

Take cabs.  We were never taxi people, but over the past few years we've seen the light.  When giving tourist advice to other friends with bad knees, I'll tell them to take a taxi from Waverly Station to Edinburgh Castle (or from Stirling station to Stirling Castle).  It's not expensive, and then you're fresh for wandering around and it's easier to stroll down the hill after than it is to climb the hill. 

Not only can you get assistance at the airport, but also for trains if you request it in advance, including a ramp...and distance buses have always dealt with your luggage for you.  So will your cabbie. 

I still think you should get off at the easy access ports...even if you read your book at a nearby outdoor cafe or people-watch... I've had some lovely experiences at quiet out of the way patios when we stop for lunch or a coffee. Add some church bells or singing birds and I'm in bliss...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I started this topic a year ago and I just wanted to tell you we returned in July from a wonderful cruise to the British Isles.  I had a great time.  Granted there were things I didn't do or I  did differently than on previous cruises but things turned out just fine.  I had lots of help from family which made things a lot  easier.  My main problems were at Heathrow airport.  If you have any disabilities at all please keep in mind it is a hard airport to navigate.  Help is minimal.  And using wheelchair assistance or using your own walker is very difficult. 

The crew were very helpful when getting on and off the ship. And I must say the crew on the Regal Princess were the very best.  In all my 38 cruises this crew was totally the best.

I'm thinking seriously of taking another cruise.  This one to the Med - Greece and Rome.  I can only hope these airports will be better for the disabled, But who knows.  It is what it is and I'll cope with it.

Just wanted you to know everything went fine for this old lady and i wouldn't be hesitant to do it again.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
On 11/7/2022 at 5:55 PM, gunnywife said:

I'm 86 and love my independence,  But I sure welcome help with heavy things like luggage and I gladly will be happy for help getting off and on the ship.  But I wouldn't want my kids to tell me what to do insofar as everyday things, like what to eat or not eat, or suggestions when I should get rest. etc.

Let the elders be grateful for help but the younger people have to know there are limits on what they can do for them.

Just my humble opinion

I so agree!

I recall a post some time ago, in which a cruiser wrote about the importance of forcing her senior mother to drink gallons of water on the ship and ashore. Being of an age (80) that grew up on the occasional water fountain drink in school, no water til PE class/college sport/aerobics class was over, my first thought was that Mom is going to need a bathroom as soon as they get ashore, and will probably be uncomfortable with what is available (if any).  I know the younger generation now doesn't even go to the store without bottles of water for everyone, but that is just so foreign to me.  So far I have been successful in saying No, but I hope I do not reach the point of not being able to fight back.

However, I do appreciate the help with heavy luggage, and perhaps the occasional arm to steady myself on uneven terrain.

• Like 1