Why I am so stressed about testing!

I was hoping and praying that the testing requirement would be over by now (we sail in 4 weeks). People on this board act like, “What’s the problem with getting tested?  Easy peasy!”

Here’s our situation:

We drive to PC, so on a Sunday cruise, we drive down on Saturday.  That leaves Friday for testing.

We keep two toddler grandchildren Thursdays and Fridays, so everything we do – testing, packing, etc. must be worked around drives to and from pre-school, baths, naps, etc.

I have read here of issues with Walgreens/CVS, eMed and OnPoint.  And now the pharmacies charge $140/pp for testing.

So I figure we need at least a Plan A and a Plan B. So I’m spending some amount of money that may well be wasted, not to mention the stress of praying that the solutions I choose don’t work out for whatever reason.

Sorry to be so whiny, but I am wishing ow we’d never booked this cruise.

Can anyone help me feel less stressed?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

I was hoping and praying that the testing requirement would be over by now (we sail in 4 weeks). People on this board act like, “What’s the problem with getting tested?  Easy peasy!”

Here’s our situation:

We drive to PC, so on a Sunday cruise, we drive down on Saturday.  That leaves Friday for testing.

We keep two toddler grandchildren Thursdays and Fridays, so everything we do – testing, packing, etc. must be worked around drives to and from pre-school, baths, naps, etc.

I have read here of issues with Walgreens/CVS, eMed and OnPoint.  And now the pharmacies charge $140/pp for testing.

So I figure we need at least a Plan A and a Plan B. So I’m spending some amount of money that may well be wasted, not to mention the stress of praying that the solutions I choose don’t work out for whatever reason.

I have to fly to Copenhagen in 20 days and get tested after arriving.  😉

Your situation is way less stressful. Good luck

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Here’s our situation:

I am really sorry that you are stressed.  I would just do a emed home test whenever it is most convenient for me.  A lot less stress IMO.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Here’s our situation:

Order the emed from Royal. $70 for two tests. Proctors are available 24/7.  Easy peasy once the kids are in bed and fast asleep. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I have to fly to Copenhagen in 20 days and get tested after arriving.  😉

Your situation is way less stressful. Good luck

How bad could it get?

Both my wife and I tested positive in Copenhagen before our Voyager cruise last month.  Instead of hopping in the car and driving home (or better yet, testing before we left), we were stuck in one of the most expensive cities in the world with Covid, nowhere to stay, and a plane ticket home in 12 days.  Now THAT was stressful.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, mil76 said:

How bad could it get?

Both my wife and I tested positive in Copenhagen before our Voyager cruise last month.  Instead of hopping in the car and driving home (or better yet, testing before we left), we were stuck in one of the most expensive cities in the world with Covid, nowhere to stay, and a plane ticket home in 12 days.  Now THAT was stressful.

I am so sorry.  That isn’t any fun at all.

28 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It is stressful.  I suggest you write your cruise line and give your opinion 

31 minutes ago, irishgal432 said:

I think you will miss the ship.🤪

Wow - thanks for the helpful responses! 

I have heard of problems with the eMed tests, too.  If I order two tests, what if one doesn't work?  Should I order more? Thanks to those who are sympathetic.  I know I come across as a nut, but I have been confidently cruising for many years....before COVID.

Just now, handbellplayer said:

I have heard of problems with the eMed tests, too.  If I order two tests, what if one doesn't work?  Should I order more? Thanks to those who are sympathetic.  I know I come across as a nut, but I have been confidently cruising for many years....before COVID.

I was not being snarky.   I think lots of people who think testing is great are making their views heard loud and clear.  I think we need to speak up too.  I know it is stressful.  If they had taken my blood pressure last time I tested I would have been denied travel.   It is horrible and completely destroys the sweet anticipation of a fun vacation.  I have one more cruise past final payment and if it doesn’t end I am going to cancel the other cruises I have booked.  I can go to those places without a cruise ship. They have sucked the joy out of travel

• Like 5

There is a site where you can login( make an appointment) and use the free government issued tests.I believe there is a $15 fee per test.  Sorry I don’t recall the name. It is something like On point or One Point. You can Google it.  Folks have reported  good success. 

The past couple of cruises, we’ve used the RCCL tests with good results. 

m

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I was not being snarky.   I think lots of people who think testing is great are making their views heard loud and clear.  I think we need to speak up too.  I know it is stressful.  If they had taken my blood pressure last time I tested I would have been denied travel.   It is horrible and completely destroys the sweet anticipation of a fun vacation.  I have one more cruise past final payment and if it doesn’t end I am going to cancel the other cruises I have booked.  I can go to those places without a cruise ship. They have sucked the joy out of travel

Sorry! I wish I thought the cruise lines cared what we think.  I'm pretty sure $$ is all that matters to them.

1 minute ago, cruisegirl1 said:

There is a site where you can login( make an appointment) and use the free government issued tests.I believe there is a $15 fee per test.  Sorry I don’t recall the name. It is something like On point or One Point. You can Google it.  Folks have reported  good success. 

m

I was planning to use them until I read many negative  experiences on these boards.

Just now, handbellplayer said:

Sorry! I wish I thought the cruise lines cared what we think.  I'm pretty sure $$ is all that matters to them.

I think they believe we are all happy with the testing because that is who they hear from plus they don’t have to pay for it.  Now that the insurance companies are not required to pay the testing fee and places are closing because cruising is the only activity that needs testing they need to rethink what they are doing.  

• Like 1

It can be stressful, but look on the bright side. You’re driving and you will still be in the US. Like John, I’m flying to Barcelona in Oct. and am taking a test with me. I’m hoping I won’t have to pre cruise test. I have 1 Emed test left and it’s going with me. So far, after 3 Emed test, they have all been fine. I’m going to stay positive and keep my glass half full.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

How is Royal Caribbean profiting from Covid testing? It isn’t. The testing listed on their site is through Optum (UnitedHealthcare). The testing requirement was a response to  a genuine public health crisis (and required of them by the CDC in order for cruise lines to return to service based on that crisis). They believe that requiring customers to test helps keep passengers safe (since we are all sandwiched in there tightly) and helps to keep their business afloat (which is completely reasonable given that they could likely not withstand a repeat of 2020-2021). 

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 6

There are a number of You Tube videos showing people using video-proctored testing.  Perhaps watching a couple of those will ease your mind as to what to expect and how to set everything up so that your testing goes easily.  

I watched this one  and this one 

If you have any of the free tests, you might take one just to get the feel for it.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, handbellplayer said:

Use one if the at home tests the government sent and log onto Rapidtestandtrace.com. It is proctored, costs $20/pp, and you have the results in 30 min.  

• Like 6

33 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

From what folks have posted Onpoint doesn’t have good customer service. People have posted about waiting over an hour for someone to answer.  People have been posting about: https://rapidtestandtrace.com/  and the reviews seem much better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

I have a different situation.  Two cruises coming up (Oct and Dec) but three tests left for me and my wife.  Should I gamble and buy another test or just risk her missing the cruise in December?

Smart… making sure it not the wife who misses the cruise.