Is Carnival Allowing Saving Deck Chairs Now?

JT1962

What I did on my Panorama Crusie is put my shirt on my chair and then swam , came back for a bit then went to the spa.  Or I would go up one flight and sit on those comofortable couch loungers one deck up and use that as my area! 

If I see just  a towel and no one there then I am assuming someone forgot their towel and now the chair is mine.  I think Carnival and other cruiselines  are enforcing the not actively using chair crowd who gets up at dawn and hogs three chairs all day long. If its just one chair why would Carnival take away my items? How do they know I am not giving them money at a bar!

6 hours ago, JT1962 said:

I agree and this is what I do. It just appears by posting about saving the lounge chairs on the Carnival Twitter feed that they are encouraging it or at the very least making fun of the fact that they don’t enforce their own rules. 

I mean...you can be in line longer than 15 mins to get food so that's a little unfair don't you think?

5 hours ago, pe4all said:

I did see this done on Serenity -don't remember what ship though.  The towel attendant placed a sticker with the time on it on the towel hung over the lounge, but never came back to re-check.  When the person finally showed up (hours later) she just took the sticker off and threw it away and left again.

Im bringing my own stickers next cruise

Edited by drvmywifecrzy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, travelplus said:

What I did on my Panorama Crusie is put my shirt on my chair and then swam , came back for a bit then went to the spa.  Or I would go up one flight and sit on those comofortable couch loungers one deck up and use that as my area! 

If I see just  a towel and no one there then I am assuming someone forgot their towel and now the chair is mine.  I think Carnival and other cruiselines  are enforcing the not actively using chair crowd who gets up at dawn and hogs three chairs all day long. If its just one chair why would Carnival take away my items? How do they know I am not giving them money at a bar!

Are you saying you reserve your chair with a shirt instead of a towel and that makes it OK? Especially since it is only one chair. Can't three people be giving them money at a bar at the same time? Or did you mean you move all your posessions when you move to another area?

5 hours ago, mz-s said:

The crew don't want the confrontation. I don't blame them. People can turn mean quick when they don't get their way and it's all about me me me.

Agreed. I think part of the problem though is that they don't universally enforce the rules. If people knew Carnival would remove belongings from chairs that were sitting unattended for 60 mins consistently and without exceptions, then it would be hard to argue.

I posted this here before, but when I was in Waikiki last summer, the hotel I was at would periodically go around and put a time card on every unattended chair. You had to physically go to your chair and then return the time card to the towel stand before it expired. If not, the staff would go around and remove the belongings when the time expired. They were strict about it, and since everyone knew the rules after seeing a card the first time, it would make most people at least go to their chairs once an hour.

• Like 1

Well I guess I am prepared to get hit by both extremes, yes it is rude & ridiculous for people to put items on chairs early in the morning & not even come down to the pool till noon, yes it is inappropriate to leave your chair for over an hr while you go shopping or take a nap but I find it equally as inappropriate to take belongings off of a chair that has been idle for 15 minutes.  What are you doing, sitting on a chair with a stopwatch? If I want to get in the pool for 5 or 10 minutes, then go to the bathroom and stop by the bar to get a drink b4 returning to my chair, I would expect my clothes and towel to be on my chair when I return and if I knew who removed them, they would find their belongings in the pool!  Some people have no life and appoint themselves the chair police. If I see saved chairs with no one sitting in them for hours and people are looking for a chair, I would  tell them that no one has been there for hours and it would be up to them to alert staff to decide how to handle it but that’s it. I am having way to good of a time to notice who is in their chair and how long they are gone for the most part. 

• Like 4

The next time I sit in a lido deck lounge chair will be the first time.  LOUD, crowded and no shade.  Not my type of "action".  I fail to see the attraction.  Give me a lounge chair outside on deck 5 of a dream class ship, on the shady side all day long...only if my deck 11 balcony is in full sun at the time.  That said, I am glad so many like it...makes other parts of the ship that much less crowded.

Edited by Badfinger
  • Like 7

7 hours ago, mz-s said:

The crew don't want the confrontation. I don't blame them. People can turn mean quick when they don't get their way and it's all about me me me.

My fear exactly.... With my luck the second I moved someone's ***** they would show up and start a fight

• Like 1

Eventually there will be a huge brawl over this and then maybe something will be done about it. 

5 minutes ago, ober134 said:

My fear exactly.... With my luck the second I moved someone's ***** they would show up and start a fight

Ok, OK.  I think I have a work around for this.   I see greatly reduced rates all the time for a 3rd person in the cabin.  Just find someone who will agree to be a human chair saver in return for a free cruise!  Problem solved!  

Solving the dress code problem won't be so easy, but I"m working on it.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I do like to sit in the front in the theater. I don't have a problem telling three people holding seven seats that house rules are first come, first seated. If they object I tell them I am going to sit and rest a bit. "I am sure they will find a seat when they arrive." Most of the time the party never arrives, and the seat stays empty for the show. 

As far as fighting or even arguing I just don't see it happening. Cruisers are a cool bunch and I like to think everyone is well mannered and always polite. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grambler said:

Well I guess I am prepared to get hit by both extremes, yes it is rude & ridiculous for people to put items on chairs early in the morning & not even come down to the pool till noon, yes it is inappropriate to leave your chair for over an hr while you go shopping or take a nap but I find it equally as inappropriate to take belongings off of a chair that has been idle for 15 minutes.  What are you doing, sitting on a chair with a stopwatch? If I want to get in the pool for 5 or 10 minutes, then go to the bathroom and stop by the bar to get a drink b4 returning to my chair, I would expect my clothes and towel to be on my chair when I return and if I knew who removed them, they would find their belongings in the pool!  Some people have no life and appoint themselves the chair police. If I see saved chairs with no one sitting in them for hours and people are looking for a chair, I would  tell them that no one has been there for hours and it would be up to them to alert staff to decide how to handle it but that’s it. I am having way to good of a time to notice who is in their chair and how long they are gone for the most part. 

We’ll that’s gonna be fun!

12 hours ago, Moviela said:

As far as fighting or even arguing I just don't see it happening. Cruisers are a cool bunch and I like to think everyone is well mannered and always polite. 

Incident one...Carnival Magic  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_VP7LSTVVo

Incident two...RC Navigator OTS   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x5C3Bk1TT8

Incident three...NCL Joy  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9DV2j3MO9Y

All 3 incidents happened within the last few months.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2022 at 10:55 AM, staceyglow said:

Other cruisers moving possessions after just 15 minutes seems a little extreme. It can take  that long to get your drink from a crowded bar and make it back to your chair.

Agreed!

On 7/28/2022 at 7:37 PM, mz-s said:

Just move the towels. I do. I don't care anymore.

While I'm not necessarily against this, it's rarely a good idea when the people start to decide how they want to run things. I have had my towel removed when I literally got up for 10 minutes to get food. 

What if when you leave your chair you take a pic with your phone of you in your chair, getting a time stamp.  That way if anyone moves your stuff before the required time, you can prove you were only gone so long.  Just a thought....