Had covid beginning of July still test poitive

Jancruz

14 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Here is a scary thought, what if a pax had covid a month before recovered and then tests positive again right before the cruise but in fact does have covid again and the ship lets them on with recovery paperwork?  this can get hairy and would be concerning to older pax on board, 

The CDC has long considered that you are covid free up to 90 days post recovery. Which is why the cruise lines allow the recovery letter. The OP has already had a negative antigen test, so there's no real reason to think they have a new infection, especially if they aren't symptomatic. 

57 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

The CDC has long considered that you are covid free up to 90 days post recovery. Which is why the cruise lines allow the recovery letter. The OP has already had a negative antigen test, so there's no real reason to think they have a new infection, especially if they aren't symptomatic. 

Except both Dr. Fauci and President Biden, resumed isolation after testing positive after taking Paxlovid during their first bout with COVID.  There is medical evidence indicating that Paxlovid suppresses the virus and causes a rebound infection unlike having the virus run its course creating immunity.  

16 hours ago, seaman11 said:

the pcr is more reliable then the home test, to be honest. its not impossible that you caught it again recently and do not feel any symptoms.  i would hope passengers testing positive would not want to go on the ship with others,. yikes. 

Our health officials (CDC) say that folks may test positive for up to 90 days without being contagious.  They say they do not recommend taking a test within 90 days of testing positive.  This has been in place for a long time and is the basis for the Document of Recovery.  Most countries have a similar approach.   It was widely accepted for air travel before the testing requirement was lifted.  

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Except both Dr. Fauci and President Biden, resumed isolation after testing positive after taking Paxlovid during their first bout with COVID.  There is medical evidence indicating that Paxlovid suppresses the virus and causes a rebound infection unlike having the virus run its course creating immunity.  

Yes, but then that's still the same old infection, not a new infection. In the early days of covid people stayed in isolation until they tested negative, which took months for some. We know testing positive post infection is common. The only question with Paxlovid is whether you are still contagious during the rebound infection. I can certainly understand why people in high profile positions like Fauci and Biden didn't take the risk. 

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

Yes, but then that's still the same old infection, not a new infection. In the early days of covid people stayed in isolation until they tested negative, which took months for some. We know testing positive post infection is common. The only question with Paxlovid is whether you are still contagious during the rebound infection. I can certainly understand why people in high profile positions like Fauci and Biden didn't take the risk. 

The OP took Paxlovid for the first bout thus still infectious and wants to board a full ship.  

9 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The OP took Paxlovid for the first bout thus still infectious and wants to board a full ship.  

Are you saying he is contagious? If so, how in the world would you know that?

If you’re saying he’s positive, sure. He can do that. It’s literally why they have the 10-90 positive test policy. 

I would 100% get on that ship if I were him and would not feel bad about it because I believe in science. 

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Our health officials (CDC) say that folks may test positive for up to 90 days without being contagious.  They say they do not recommend taking a test within 90 days of testing positive.  This has been in place for a long time and is the basis for the Document of Recovery.  Most countries have a similar approach.   It was widely accepted for air travel before the testing requirement was lifted.  

The pcr test will detect a dead rna cell 90 days out. Doesn't mean you are infected🤦

18 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

Is it possible to be reinfected in such a short time? 

Yes!

Biden has it again.

If the OP had a PCR test done for the 2nd test, it will show positive for about 6-8 weeks.  A Rapid Test 10 or more days out should be negative.  Home test are not infallible and should not be relied on for either positive or negative on re-testing..

4 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Yes!

Biden has it again.

If the OP had a PCR test done for the 2nd test, it will show positive for about 6-8 weeks.  A Rapid Test 10 or more days out should be negative.  Home test are not infallible and should not be relied on for either positive or negative on re-testing..

It's up to 90 days. Very few get the pcr test

3 minutes ago, Layashore said:

It's up to 90 days. Very few get the pcr test

I've been hearing that some places will only give the PCR test.  Unless I get ill I won't be tested again until mid January (will get the new booster for Omicron once available)so not really following what's available locally.  But my county is supposedly a high COVID count county and I know several test sites have closed down.

11 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I've been hearing that some places will only give the PCR test.  Unless I get ill I won't be tested again until mid January (will get the new booster for Omicron once available)so not really following what's available locally.  But my county is supposedly a high COVID count county and I know several test sites have closed down.

You should learn omicron before taking experimental drugs. PCR was never a diagnostic tool, per the inventor

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Layashore said:

The pcr test will detect a dead rna cell 90 days out. Doesn't mean you are infected🤦

??  Not sure why you quoted me, but I agree. Though, I would prefer so say it doesn't mean you are contagious.   

Just now, Hoosierpop said:

You are saying testing positive means you are contagious? 

No it doesn’t mean anything. If the pcr  is run at too many cycles, it picks up dead RNA 90 days out. It is why it was never designed for disagnostics

56 minutes ago, Layashore said:

30 minutes ago, ldubs said:

??  Not sure why you quoted me, but I agree. Though, I would prefer so say it doesn't mean you are contagious.   

25 minutes ago, Layashore said:

That's exactly what it means

contagious? or doesn't mean contagious?

6 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

You are saying testing positive means you are contagious? 

legitimate assumption and mine as well

4 minutes ago, Layashore said:

No it doesn’t mean anything. If the pcr  is run at too many cycles, it picks up dead RNA 90 days out. It is why it was never designed for disagnostics

Layashore: I can see you are a new poster. Welcome. You will quickly learn that the first thing that comes to mind to type may be exactly what you mean but ambiguous statements can be interpreted differently as exhibited above. This happens a lot so we all need to be diligent in rereading our comments to look for different interpretations. And we still sometimes fail.

1 minute ago, 2wheelin said:

contagious? or doesn't mean contagious?

legitimate assumption and mine as well

Layashore: I can see you are a new poster. Welcome. You will quickly learn that the first thing that comes to mind to type may be exactly what you mean but ambiguous statements can be interpreted differently as exhibited above. This happens a lot so we all need to be diligent in rereading our comments to look for different interpretations. And we still sometimes fail.

Thank you

1 hour ago, Layashore said:

It doesn't mean you are safe to cruise. A different test and observation should be required at the port.

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

Are you saying he is contagious? If so, how in the world would you know that?

If you’re saying he’s positive, sure. He can do that. It’s literally why they have the 10-90 positive test policy. 

I would 100% get on that ship if I were him and would not feel bad about it because I believe in science. 

Because they tested positive

image.thumb.png.9c21d4589081311263dacf98e293f672.png

Edited by Elaine5715

3 minutes ago, Layashore said:

Please learn the pcr test.  It does not say you are infected

It doesn't say anything. It is a test. We've already been around this bend in the river in keeping on a cruising conversation.

35 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It doesn't mean you are safe to cruise. A different test and observation should be required at the port.

But unless something significant has changed, the DOR process allows exactly that -- meaning you are allowed to board with a positive test that is move than 10 but less than 90 days old.  

Not meaning you specifically, but this discussion seems to be bouncing all over the place.