Had covid beginning of July still test poitive

Jancruz

I just got my test back for a Monday August 1 cruise (tomorrow) on Radiance and it was positive..I had Covid July 8th and took Paxlovid..had a negative home test on July 20th, is there any way I can go on cruise as I feel fine and am told I am not contagious any more..

Jancruz1

You will need a negative test in order to board. Perhaps you could take a rapid test Monday morning. Also is there something your doctor could write for you to say you had Covid but have recovered.  

11 minutes ago, nwcruiselover said:

You can cruise if you have a “document of recovery,” which Carnival defines as a positive test taken 10-90 days before your cruise.  It has to be an official lab test or proctored test, not just one of the free at-home tests.

my home test was negative but I did it on my own

Jancruz1

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

my home test was negative but I did it on my own

Jancruz1

Was your ORIGINAL July 8th test proctored or administered by a health care provider where you have documented evidence?  If it was, you can present that.  If it was a simple 'home test' where you have no lab corroborated results, you do not have the necessary 'document of recovery' and will need to test negative in order to board.

And I'm so very sorry.  You're missing the 'no testing' cutoff by just a few days.

Edited by jsglow
  • Like 2

Sounds like you’re experiencing what they call a rebound after taking Paxlovid.

since that medication is by prescription, I can only assume that you have documentation from a medical professional regarding your original positive?

That might help your case. If not to board the ship, at least with your travel insurance

34 minutes ago, klfrodo said:

Sounds like you’re experiencing what they call a rebound after taking Paxlovid.

since that medication is by prescription, I can only assume that you have documentation from a medical professional regarding your original positive?

That might help your case. If not to board the ship, at least with your travel insurance

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

I just got my test back for a Monday August 1 cruise (tomorrow) on Radiance and it was positive..I had Covid July 8th and took Paxlovid..had a negative home test on July 20th, is there any way I can go on cruise as I feel fine and am told I am not contagious any more..

Jancruz1

You tested positive because you are again positive.  President Biden is back into quarantine due to rebound.  

• Like 3

I have known several people in this situation where they had a positive test, then test negative and then test positive again. I heard several health officials say there is no need to retest after the first positive test for three months since a positive test can appear again. They say it does not mean you are contagious again. So based on Carnival's policy you can sail with a document of recovery as long as you have no symptoms. Good luck and have fun.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I have known several people in this situation where they had a positive test, then test negative and then test positive again. I heard several health officials say there is no need to retest after the first positive test for three months since a positive test can appear again. They say it does not mean you are contagious again. So based on Carnival's policy you can sail with a document of recovery as long as you have no symptoms. Good luck and have fun.

I talked to primary physician who has my tests and results and she is writing a document of recovery..thanks for all your help

Jancruz1

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Jancruz said:

One last question is there a charge for room service on Radiance??

Thanks,

Jancruz1

Yes and no, Somethings are included between 6am and 10pm, while there are a charge for others. After 10pm there is a charge for everything.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

I talked to primary physician who has my tests and results and she is writing a document of recovery..thanks for all your help

Jancruz1

Make sure you sent a nice note to your doctor for making them work on Sunday! 🙂

Enjoy your cruise.

3 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Paxovil has a rebound affect. See the current president. pCR test will detect it 90 days later.  Sorry

8 hours ago, TheSeagoer said:

Paxovil has a rebound affect. See the current president. pCR test will detect it 90 days later.  Sorry

I want to thank all of you for all the help..I shall use as many of your tips as I can..I know we will have a great time with our family..you have all been so helpful and patient!!'

Jancruz1

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 11:25 AM, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

Paxlovid is notorious for rebound infections.

2 hours ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

Paxlovid is notorious for rebound infections.

It's better NOT to take Paxlovid unless you really are in a high risk class.  They seem to be pushing it on everyone.  If you really are in a high risk class, maybe a cruise should wait.

the pcr is more reliable then the home test, to be honest. its not impossible that you caught it again recently and do not feel any symptoms.  i would hope passengers testing positive would not want to go on the ship with others,. yikes. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

the pcr is more reliable then the home test, to be honest. its not impossible that you caught it again recently and do not feel any symptoms.  i would hope passengers testing positive would not want to go on the ship with others,. yikes. 

PCR is not the most reliable after about a week of infection. It can still test positive long after recovery. Antigen test detects current infection

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 1:54 PM, Purvis1231 said:

Here is a scary thought, what if a pax had covid a month before recovered and then tests positive again right before the cruise but in fact does have covid again and the ship lets them on with recovery paperwork?  this can get hairy and would be concerning to older pax on board, 

2 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

PCR is not the most reliable after about a week of infection. It can still test positive long after recovery. Antigen test detects current infection

i see what you mean however 

if so as you say why do airlines and countries require a pcr over the  rapid test?

1 minute ago, seaman11 said:

i see what you mean however 

if so as you say why do airlines and countries require a pcr over the  rapid test?

Most of them no longer require any test and in the earlier days when they made those rules, rapid tests weren’t available. Just a failure to stay up to date I’m guessing

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

Here is a scary thought, what if a pax had covid a month before recovered and then tests positive again right before the cruise but in fact does have covid again and the ship lets them on with recovery paperwork?  this can get hairy and would be concerning to older pax on board, 

Is it possible to be reinfected in such a short time? 

4 hours ago, seaman11 said:

The pcr will detect it 90 days later

Edited by Layashore