MSC Relaxes Testing Requirements for US Cruises

JT1962

This would be great news. We have no issues showing our vaccination status but really sucks having to take time off work to get a Covid test done just before a short cruise.  We leave on the 14th so hopefully this news stays current.

• Like 1

Would only go on a cruise if testing is required at the current time. Don't care about masks, capacity, vaccination status, or any of that. Been on multiple cruises since shutdown going back to last September.

Long term won't care about testing either but right now I either want testing or capacity restrictions nothing else really matters to me.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, KyleClark said:

So if I sail on Saturday I have to be tested anytime from Weds or Thursday?

Wednesday, Thursday or Friday.  Theoretically even Saturday would work.  My last test was a Zoom meeting, test took ten minutes for the test and I had the pdf of my test report fifteen minutes after that.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, mizzoufinal4 said:

So does a "lab administered test" mean that the Emed home ones where you have to be on a camera with a person watching you take the test considered ok?

Yes. But check the threads on testing to see of paying $15-$25 to have a (free) home test kit proctored by another lab might be more cost effective. But the eMed/Optum tests have been very popular.

1 hour ago, publicpersona said:

Though it is nice to see progress, the relaxed testing won't really mean much as long as destinations such as the Bahamas (includes any cruise that stops in Ocean Cay) requires it.

Not sure what you mean. "Effective 19 June 2022, fully vaccinated travellers are no longer required to submit to pre-travel COVID-19 testing to enter the country."

"Cruise lines may have different requirements for pre-boarding testing. Please check with your cruise line for specific details pertaining to your cruise."

Both of those from the Bahamas government page.

Bret

10 hours ago, cruiseguyinorl said:

Not sure what you mean. 

Interesting. I'll stipulate that MSC's web advisory makes no reference to test requirements for destinations in Bahamas and Caribbean. However, a couple very reliable cruise bloggers/YouTubers have raised the issue about destination requirements in light of the relaxed ship requirements. Indeed, look at what Carnival says (in an update from 8/1/2022):

carnival.jpg

Edited by publicpersona

I read the official Bahama website and see no Aug.1st update. Could Carnival be wrong or does the Bahama website need to be updated??

I have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19, do I need to take a RT-PCR or Rapid Antigen Test to travel to The Bahamas?

• Effective 19 June 2022, fully vaccinated travellers are no longer required to submit to pre-travel COVID-19 testing to enter the country. Instead, valid proof of vaccination must be presented before boarding a flight to The Bahamas.
  • COVID-19 testing is no longer required for persons travelling inter-island (domestic) within The Bahamas, regardless of COVID-19 vaccination status (unvaccinated or fully vaccinated)

according to the website- unvaccinated do need the test though.

confused.................

1 hour ago, Debde said:

Could Carnival be wrong or does the Bahama website need to be updated??

As usual, these things take a few days to sort out. Here's another cruise vlogger that just says somebody is confused (starting at 0:39).

Cruise News Today — August 3, 2022: Carnival Changes COVID Testing, Again and New NCL Menus - YouTube

I used the chat on the Bahamas website you provided and they responded ...

image.png

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, mwhite991 said:

I saw that statement also and I am confused. I am hopeful the online test still is acceptable.  I guess we will know for sure after the 8th and people are using that type of test. 

There's no reason to believe that there has been any change recently by any cruise line that removes the ability to test at home with a proctoring service that comes with it (e.g. eMed), or with any FDA approved home test kit that you pay a proctor (e.g OnPoint, etc.) to watch you and provide results.

The changes discussed in this thread are along the lines of when providing those test results are no longer required.

Edited by publicpersona

4 minutes ago, Native Floridian 26 said:

Interesting that MSC has not stated that testing is still required for Bahamas as Carnival did.

Discussed a few comments up. It isn't clear that Carnival has a basis for that for the Bahamas.

Still, odd that MSC doesn't really say "except where required by destination protocols". Clearly Canada is such a destination right now (although MSC doesn't have an cruises there in the next 12 months I don't think).

Edited by publicpersona