Rain???

jp2746

It looks like it is supposed to rain in every port on our cruise next week.  I know it rains for short periods of time in the Caribbean and I know I won't melt. My only concern is snorkeling. I am guessing we can still snorkel as long as there isn't lightning?  

3 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

It looks like it is supposed to rain in every port on our cruise next week.  I know it rains for short periods of time in the Caribbean and I know I won't melt. My only concern is snorkeling. I am guessing we can still snorkel as long as there isn't lightning?  

Tours run rain or shine. 🌦️🌞

2 minutes ago, jp2746 said:

I wouldn’t worry too much.  Unless there is a major system causing a lot of bad weather, rain does come and go quickly in many situations.   No guarantee of course, but I think you are correct in your assumption about lightning (if they even care).   Plus, multi day forecasts are pretty high in potential variance.   Could be nice on your snorkel day.  

Sometimes with the rain it will make for poor water visibility.  Hopefully it holds out and you can have a good snorkeling time!  The tour will determine if it is safe or not to get in the water.  The last cruise I went on it was too bad to get the beach after going snorkeling.  They gave us all a full refund or said told us we could get back on later on the second tour at no cost.

Thanks for the responses.  We have only experienced rain once on a cruise.  I get seasick and I didn't get sick even with the storm.  But it was still sunning in port.  I am not worried about getting wet since we will be in the ocean anyway.  My husband said it would be fine to get into the water with lightning because it is a large body of water.  I don't agree and will stay out if there is lightning.

1 hour ago, jp2746 said:

My husband said it would be fine to get into the water with lightning because it is a large body of water.  I don't agree and will stay out if there is lightning.

I'm with you on this one 😬🌨️🌩️

If there is a threat of rain, they will cancel the excursion. They don't want the snorkelers to get wet.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have never had an excursion cancelled because of rain. I don't know if lightning was ever a consideration.

2 hours ago, jp2746 said:

Thanks for the responses.  We have only experienced rain once on a cruise.  I get seasick and I didn't get sick even with the storm.  But it was still sunning in port.  I am not worried about getting wet since we will be in the ocean anyway.  My husband said it would be fine to get into the water with lightning because it is a large body of water.  I don't agree and will stay out if there is lightning.

We live an hour from the beach, lightening clears the ocean.

Our cruise in July 2019, there was a low pressure system over the Bahamas and it rained everyday, even lightning and thunder, which you don't usually see often.  We have sat on beaches under umbrellas in rain before.  Usually they are in and out fairly quickly.

Out of maybe 100 snorkeling trips the boat had us get out of the water on one with lightning near (in Bermuda).  So we sat by the metal mast on the boat.  The only cancellations we have had were for wind kicking up waves that were dangerous.  Usually they just take you to a different snorkel location.  As BND said, we don't usually see much lightning in storms in the Caribbean while in port.  Nighttime storms can be really spectacular, though.