Deployment 2024-25 booking season begins

1 hour ago, Ethanol95 said:

Makes it even more likely that Anthem will head to a different market then.

Highly unlikely that a ship deployment depends on a stupid show. Guests on a ship could come from anywhere no matter where it sails from.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Highly unlikely that a ship deployment depends on a stupid show. Guests on a ship could come from anywhere no matter where it sails from.

It's something called localizing the product for the market... 

You can't tell me a ship with a broadway musical in English would serve well in the Chinese market.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I'm curious if WWRY on Anthem will reach the end of the contract in 2025.  Royal seems to be done with Broadway shows or in this case a West End show and paying all those license fees.  That can also hamper deploying a ship if the production company that owns the rights to the show has a say in the region where Royal can offer the show.  

Anthem may have been captive to the greater NYC area and the UK because of WWRY.  If they don't renew it then they are free to send her anywhere.  

IMHO, the Broadway shows are a real draw. How many Royal produced singing/dancing shows can one go to? I love Nick Weir as much as the next guy, but the Broadway shows are better. I would be sad to see them go. I guess we will get some idea this summer when Symphony goes to drydock and, I would imagine, its 5-yr run of Hairspray may be at a "fish or cut bait" point.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

It's something called localizing the product for the market... 

You can't tell me a ship with a broadway musical in English would serve well in the Chinese market.

Nothing in English works in China, this is a bad example. Broadway shows in English work in most other countries around the World. Or do you beliece people from the New York or London area cruise on Anthem because of the show they have at home anyway?

5 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Nothing in English works in China, this is a bad example. Broadway shows in English work in most other countries around the World. Or do you beliece people from the New York or London area cruise on Anthem because of the show they have at home anyway?

If that is the case then tell me why Royal created a new production show for Spectrum post covid to serve the Singapore market, instead of having a broadway show onboard? Spectrum gets a lot of international fly cruisers. The majority of people from Singapore also speak English as their main language. 

2 minutes ago, Ethanol95 said:

If that is the case then tell me why Royal created a new production show for Spectrum post covid to serve the Singapore market, instead of having a broadway show onboard? Spectrum gets a lot of international fly cruisers. The majority of people from Singapore also speak English as their main language. 

And which shows have they created for Oasis class ships when they have send them to the Med? Anyway, I did not say they might not adjust shows to local markets a ship goes to. My point was they will not decide or limit a ships destination purely based on one stupid show on board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Quantum went to Asia they yanked the Broadway show (Mamma Mia!) well short of it's normal contract end. 

I recall during an entertainment tour backstage on another ship the black shirt talking about the process to get the set off the ship and ship it back to the US.  Took a month.  

That's how Mamma Mia! ended up on Allure.

43 minutes ago, twangster said:

When Quantum went to Asia they yanked the Broadway show (Mamma Mia!) well short of it's normal contract end. 

I recall during an entertainment tour backstage on another ship the black shirt talking about the process to get the set off the ship and ship it back to the US.  Took a month.  

That's how Mamma Mia! ended up on Allure.

I remember theater staff making a fairly big deal of this on the TA leg of the repo from NJ. Set and crew disembarked in Barcelona.

15 hours ago, twangster said:

The same Michael Bayley who stated Icon would sail from the UK first?

Yep, that's the one.

Maybe 2 in Amsterdam and start doing the Baltics again.

Royal is the only line not going in 2024.

1 minute ago, bloodyen said:

Is it possible the Odyssey stopping in NY is part of moving the ship to, let's say, PR? I can't see them putting a warm weather ship in NY for the winter.

I don't think Puerto Rico is really on the cards for them any more, it's gradually went down from 2 ships (one year round) to 1 small ship for the winter.

5 minutes ago, bloodyen said:

Is it possible the Odyssey stopping in NY is part of moving the ship to, let's say, PR? I can't see them putting a warm weather ship in NY for the winter.

Anthem has been the only ship in NJ that was built for cold weather.  The Explorer did those winter sailings for years and people booked them.  I will bet that sales go up by putting a new ship in NJ, Anthem has been there too long.

As for Odyssey moving to PR...not a chance

1 hour ago, toad455 said:

Still waiting on a confirmation that Odyssey will replace the Anthem in 2024-25.

I’m pretty confident that it will be Odyssey, as there are lots of little pieces of evidence that help to build a bigger picture.

- November 2024 Madeira port call for Odyssey has destination marked as Cape Liberty, this will be for her TA.

- Odyssey has various bookings in St Maarten throughout January and February 2025, with no mention of Anthem unlike previous years. Two of these calls are 11-days apart, which would tie in with the 11-night Southern Caribbean cruises usually carried out by Anthem.

- May 2025 Madeira port call for Odyssey has origin port marked as Cape Liberty and destination as La Coruna (Then Southampton I presume.)

As I say, I’m pretty confident that this will be the case and would be very shocked if actual deployment differs. Also, I did see a post about a NextCruise employee mentioning a potential ship change for NJ, which would back this up further. 

• Like 1

Any idea when more listings will be announced? There are still some ships 'missing' from the usual European rota and those that are there are silly prices.

I have a newbie who wants to try a cruise in 2024 and the RCI Europe 7 night prices for a week are too high. We might have to look elsewhere (quelle horreur!!)

1 hour ago, NightOne said:

What are you best guesses on WHEN we will see Utopia of the Seas bookings open up?

Also guesses on WHERE it will be deployed?

I’m wondering the same. I’d like to book a transatlantic for next fall. I assume it will sail from Europe to Miami then. Icon was available for booking 15 months out. We’re in that ballpark. But they wouldn’t want to take away from the Icon promotion just yet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vancouver-Cruiser said:

I’m wondering the same. I’d like to book a transatlantic for next fall. I assume it will sail from Europe to Miami then. Icon was available for booking 15 months out. We’re in that ballpark. But they wouldn’t want to take away from the Icon promotion just yet. 

Remember, they are doing non-revenue TA for Icon.  That may be the case for Utopia as well, depending on when she actually has her maiden voyage and where she's headed.  That is, if that's the TA you were thinking--getting her from shipyard to homeport. 

Edited by rockmom

6 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Remember, they are doing non-revenue TA for Icon.  That may be the case for Utopia as well, depending on when she actually has her maiden voyage and where she's headed.  That is, if that's the TA you were thinking--getting her from shipyard to homeport. 

We’re aiming for next fall. Presumably after Utopia has a season in the Mediterranean. But I realize that’s based on speculation. 

• Like 1