Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

7 hours ago, kasijab said:

Hi Jim

Just popping in to say hello, and that I will be following closely 🙂 
You were kind enough to give me some of the suite 'goodies' whilst on Silhouette in April which I very much appreciated. Sadly, my husband passed away 3 weeks after we returned from that trip, so I will be getting my cruise fix vicariously through your good self for a while yet. 

Have a great trip. 

LOL....  I'm glad you enjoyed them.    Thanks for taking them off my hand they were piling up in the room.  

So sorry for your loss.   I'm sure your are devastated and miss him dearly.   I'm so happy you were able to build those memories with him on the cruise.   Those memories will stay with your the rest of your life.   I wish I could give you a big hug but will have to send a virtual one instead.  

• Like 12

15 hours ago, d9704011 said:

I'm sure the guide has a few unusual things in mind and you'll enjoy yourself.  If you go anywhere promising 'Danseuses' be prepared to tip generously.

Just got an e-mail from Tours by Locals that our guide had to cancel but they have found a new guide for us and are giving us the option to cancel.    I guess we will go with the new Guide.    Quite a disappointment as the original seemed so personable.    I've never had a bad guide with them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, lexmiller said:

We will be joining you for your final leg, August 31 - Sept. 11.  We won't be in Retreat Class but I do hope to see you somewhere on the ship!  I feel like the two of you are Cruise Critic celebrities!  Will be interesting to hear how the back to back testing is handled, just because l am curious if the passengers must do the testing the ship provides en masse on the final full day of each cruise or if it is ok, if someone would prefer to test privately using the Binax Emed tests and present the proof for each cruise.  Safe passage and thank you for your posts! 

Having done it 4-5 times the it really varies, possibly by the number of B2B's.   Often they give you a time and you show up to a Meeting Room -  There may be 2-3 people in front of you and they take 2 people at a time in a small room.   You sit down and swipe and it's done.  

One cruise they coordinated with the B2B meeting and after the meting they opened a door to the adjourning conference room and we lined up military style and just walked up to a tech who swabbed our nose.

Another time on a S-Class ship they did it in Cosmos by an appointment time -  Just showed up we were the only ones there they quickly did the swab and we were away.

After your test you are suppose to return to your room until you get an e-mail or phone call with results.

To my knowledge they require that the test must be done by the ships staff and don't allow the eMed test in lieu

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Hi Jim

We are also doing an Arctic cruise this year but on the Voyager of the Seas in September, getting Covid on a cruise only makes your strong right 😉

We have a overnight in Reykjavík, doing Blue Lagoon first night and a Golden Circle tour day2 

We also have a day tour in Akureyri book from a member on the roll call

we figure we will just around in Qaqortoq and  Nuuk 

Will be very interested to your pixs 😁

Getting the 2nd booster is great move , we got it before the Apex TA. My wife test positive, and she only had a runny noise . Still waiting for refund for her time in quarantine 🙄

Mark449BEB42-3754-4CCE-868B-110520EB7A17.jpeg

Mark,

Looks like an incredible cruise.  While this one will be a repeat of all the ports I've scheduled different things each repeat port and figured we could learn from the first visit and modify the second if we find something better to do.

8/4/2022

Yikes -- this is really happening.     Cruises seem so far away and then the last week hits.   This year has been particularly crazy on the last minute stuff.  And I mean last minute due to supply chain and staffing issues.

Laundry and Dry Cleaning -   Usually 2 days -  This time one week and when we went to pickup yesterday they had one piece that won't be ready until after 2:00PM today

Prescriptions -  We get from Kaiser via mail.   Usually 1 day but this time I ordered Sunday and showing out for deliver today. 

• Like 1

I told you yesterday that we booked a Non-Stop from SFO to EWR.   This is one of United's Prime routes and they service with 777-300 ER 3 class service with lay flat business class pods.   Yea.. the reason I booked this flight.    Also flight time is only 5 Hours 35 minutes. 

We prefer to fly out of San Jose (SJC) as it is only 10 minutes away but all flights are connections and add about 3 hours to travel time.

United 777-300ER business class: questionable food in a fantastic seat

• Like 12

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure you will love the RS.   I just wish they had Murano on Summit.

The roll call buddies are probably the best sources around.  

I've stayed in a RS previously.  Yes, it would be nice if they had Murano on Summit.  Or the other lovely specialty restaurant they used to have.  Oh well.

Roll call buddies are awesome.  This one is the same one who introduced you to your current TA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

To be honest I don't know.    I often tell them we would like to see things that aren't the normal tourist sites.    We have always been pleasantly surprised by what they choose.   Normally places that locals go to.  

We specifically tell them we aren't into churches unless they are something spectacular like Sagrada de Familia  or Notre Dame

Well, you at least need to take a peek at that spectacular one in Reykavik.

• Like 1

This morning I got an Email from Hilton that it's time to check in.   We are staying at Embassy Suite Newark Airport.   Through their app you can check in a day in advance and select your room.  They use a touch less system and when you arrive at the hotel you use an electronic key with no requirement of stopping at the front desk.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Phew, I've almost missed it, thinking it's the old one...

Eagerly following, as usual, and thank you for taking us along. Wishing you and Iain a very enjoyable and full B3B 😁

Iceland was one of our best cruises, and we were lucky to have overnights in R & A.

Our all aboard on R was 2.30PM, but we managed to see the Golden Circle before that. It took us 5 hours with a tour arranged through our roll call, and it was understood from the beginning that we're limited in time on our 2nd day in R.

In hindsight, a day in A would have been enough, since we've seen amazing waterfalls on our 1st afternoon in R.

Depending on which tour you're taking in A., there is also an magnificent waterfall there (Goðafoss), and the hot springs.

• Like 3

Can't wait to follow along with you and Iain and your adventures.  I'm hopping on the Summit the day you get off, except my cruise is only 10 nights - it doesn't go to Montreal.  So far, I have nothing planned, except for a trip to Cadillac Mountain - my sister says if you get to the top and the sky is clear, you can actually see the curve of the earth.  So, I will be awaiting your reviews of the places you visit and things you do on your third leg.  (And of course, the rest will be great to read about also, although I don't think my budget will ever allow me to go to Iceland).

• Like 1

I would not like to be tested and told to wait in my cabin for a phone call or email; that would add some stress for sure, but it is Covid.  However, that is how the game is played, so no way out except to not cruise.

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

Well this is exciting news to wake up to! I have fingers and toes crossed for you and Iain to have an uneventful and happy cruise. Looking forward to 'sailing' with you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Phew, I've almost missed it, thinking it's the old one...

Eagerly following, as usual, and thank you for taking us along. Wishing you and Iain a very enjoyable and full B3B 😁

Iceland was one of our best cruises, and we were lucky to have overnights in R & A.

Our all aboard on R was 2.30PM, but we managed to see the Golden Circle before that. It took us 5 hours with a tour arranged through our roll call, and it was understood from the beginning that we're limited in time on our 2nd day in R.

In hindsight, a day in A would have been enough, since we've seen amazing waterfalls on our 1st afternoon in R.

Depending on which tour you're taking in A., there is also an magnificent waterfall there (Goðafoss), and the hot springs.

I know we are going to some waterfalls but I had to create a spreadsheet to keep all of them straight.  I'm getting more excited by the hour.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lastdance said:

I would not like to be tested and told to wait in my cabin for a phone call or email; that would add some stress for sure, but it is Covid.  However, that is how the game is played, so no way out except to not cruise.

Let me tell you.   When we tested positive I received the results by e-mail quickly and I was in shock when the phone range.    Iain thought I was pulling his leg because I had tested negative the nigh before. 

• Thanks 1

I just finished off my last walk before the cruise.   My favorite part of my walk is a stretch along Steven's Creek Trail.   The creek is dry most of the year but have beautiful stretches of California Oaks and Eucalyptus .     Hard to believe that behind the wall on the left is a busy highway.   You don't even hear it. 

• Like 7

On 8/3/2022 at 5:25 PM, Jim_Iain said:

We just recovered from our 2 minor infection with this nasty Covid so hopefully have some good immunity built up.   We also got our 4th Booster 3 weeks ago.    We have a COR but were told we still need to do B2B testing but the COR would cover us if we tested positive. 

I think the testing is done to meet Canadian requirements that all passengers must be tested prior to departure.

Well that works. Hopefully the B2B testing goes away by the time we make our final payment in February or we'll be cancelling. Too risky especially seeing what you guys and others here have gone through on B2B cruises earlier this year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This morning I got an Email from Hilton that it's time to check in.   We are staying at Embassy Suite Newark Airport.   Through their app you can check in a day in advance and select your room.  They use a touch less system and when you arrive at the hotel you use an electronic key with no requirement of stopping at the front desk.  

I really like that feature on newer Hilton properties. I recently stayed at a new Hilton Garden Inn on a business trip and used all those functions, as well as checking out on my phone right before leaving my room so I didn't have to wait in the long line of people at the front desk. Ain't technology grand, sometimes? 😉 Enjoy your stay. 👍

• Like 4

1 hour ago, vickykay said:

If you can, try and go to the Blue Lagoon in Iceland. Amazing experience.

Currently and subject to change we have a walking foodie tour arranged on turn around day. I'm hoping they put on an interesting B2B tour and I would cancel the foodie tour.