Jim_Iain - Summit Live Post B3B Greenland / Iceland / Canada Aug 7, 19 and 31, 2022

Jim_Iain

51 minutes ago, 5:00_Somewhere said:

I really like that feature on newer Hilton properties. I recently stayed at a new Hilton Garden Inn on a business trip and used all those functions, as well as checking out on my phone right before leaving my room so I didn't have to wait in the long line of people at the front desk. Ain't technology grand, sometimes? 😉 Enjoy your stay. 👍

It's amazing how Covid has had some really great impacts on technology.  Personally I love it,  but spoken to some that don't have the technology and really feel left out.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It's amazing how Covid has had some really great impacts on technology.  Personally I love it,  but spoken to some that don't have the technology and really feel left out.

I'm all for technology, but one place I never use it is when checking in at hotels, especially ones where you have some status. More often than not, a friendly chat with the check-in agent gets me a better room than the app would have.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

This is how I'm currently feeling -  Will it all fit in?

image.thumb.png.71af6daead16c8806662485ccfafc74b.png

I was just watching one of those videos about how to travel for 3 weeks with just 12 pieces of clothing - right!!!

I'm sure you will get everything into your allotted luggage - you are an experienced travel pro.

Edited by MarKay525
  • Like 1

Packing is probably easier for us as we can both share clothing as well as being Zenith get free laundry.  

Our strategy has been we pack for 7 days regardless of the length of cruise and then send laundry out ever 2-3 days.   I'm sure that we will not be the only ones that you see wearing the same thing more than once, or twice or three times.   LOL

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

it isn’t cost effective for us to have a data plan on a phone. There is no cell coverage at home and the phone is mostly used in emergencies or tracking guides!   It’s frustrating that more and more requirements for data are showing up as being needed for cruising!  Our phone normally stays in the safe onboard and needed only for pickups when returning home.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GeorgiaPeach51 said:

FWIW, I use Libby and it is just fantastic, IMO.  Have saved a boatload of $ not having to purchase kindle books.  I highly recommend it.

Joanie

I've been using Overdrive through my library but they are changing to Libby. I've enjoyed using Overdrive so it's good to know you like Libby.  Thanks.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bjahil47 said:

@GeorgiaPeach51, have you read Karen Rose books?  I have read them all!  They are excellent!  
Bonnie

Hi, Bonnie, I haven’t read them but will add them to the list.  I’ll wait to repost to see if we get any other suggestions.  Thanks!

Joanie

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimbri said:

I've been using Overdrive through my library but they are changing to Libby. I've enjoyed using Overdrive so it's good to know you like Libby.  Thanks.

Same issue here.  Hope it will be easy to get the Libby..reviews  online have been mixed.  No choice. Change is always hard..

Do you know the end date for Overdrive?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RichYak said:

I'm all for technology, but one place I never use it is when checking in at hotels, especially ones where you have some status. More often than not, a friendly chat with the check-in agent gets me a better room than the app would have.

Often quite true. Pre cruise,  in  San Pedro, Ca cruise folks were  impatiently storming the person at the check in desk.  We let him know we were there, and said we would get coffee  so he could deal with the frantic  mess   ..no rush!

We were rewarded with an amazing  corner 2 room suite..huge with panoramic views !  All for being patient!

Sometimes the personal touch does pay off

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

it isn’t cost effective for us to have a data plan on a phone. There is no cell coverage at home and the phone is mostly used in emergencies or tracking guides!   It’s frustrating that more and more requirements for data are showing up as being needed for cruising!  Our phone normally stays in the safe onboard and needed only for pickups when returning home.  

Perhaps some confusion.  You do not need to have a data plan or use any data to use various cruise technology.  At home you will need to be connected to your internet.  To use the Cruise functions on board you do not even need to be connected to the internet.  no “Data” use required.

Most  of the cell phones are also great for photos.  

But you do need a smart phone.  (Perhaps this is what you meant by Data?)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Perhaps some confusion.  You do not need to have a data plan or use any data to use various cruise technology.  At home you will need to be connected to your internet.  To use the Cruise functions on board you do not even need to be connected to the internet.  no “Data” use required.

Most  of the cell phones are also great for photos.  

But you do need a smart phone.  (Perhaps this is what you meant by Data?)

And you can use celebrity chat system without data on the ship without data 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Having done it 4-5 times the it really varies, possibly by the number of B2B's.   Often they give you a time and you show up to a Meeting Room -  There may be 2-3 people in front of you and they take 2 people at a time in a small room.   You sit down and swipe and it's done.  

One cruise they coordinated with the B2B meeting and after the meting they opened a door to the adjourning conference room and we lined up military style and just walked up to a tech who swabbed our nose.

Another time on a S-Class ship they did it in Cosmos by an appointment time -  Just showed up we were the only ones there they quickly did the swab and we were away.

After your test you are suppose to return to your room until you get an e-mail or phone call with results.

To my knowledge they require that the test must be done by the ships staff and don't allow the eMed test in lieu

Thanks for the info.  We have done only one B2B since the restart, on the Equinox, and testing was done in Quasar by appointment.  This was before this contagious strain was prominent so out of 130 back to backers, there were zero cases so that was great.  You guys have a COR, so if I’m correct, even if you were to test positive on one of the back to back tests, you would still be allowed to continue, not have to go into quarantine, right?  We don’t have a back to back until the spring of 2023 (a B5B actually) so I won’t fret at this time, but now with these super transmissible yet super mild strains, testing positive on the B2B test is a strong possibility.  Also in our case, New Zealand features prominently in the itinerary - NZ has only just opened up to cruises, 5 days ago.  NZ has a history of implementing super strict covid travel restrictions, basically aiming to achieve a zero-covid policy - so pure speculation of course, but it would be no surprise if NZ closes her doors once again, or for instance, if testing positive on a B2B test, if NZ was involved, who knows what sorts of rules might be imposed - thinking here of Italy and Canada regarding their strict quarantine regs.  If B2B testing is still going on then, (I know, speculation! but this is our “BIG” trip, the one that covid crushed in 2020, that we have tried to reschedule several times, but alas!) we would prefer to use the same Binax emed tests that are acceptable to board the ship, to test ourselves and submit the results for the B2B testing - but sounds like that would not be allowed, which it should be, as the test is accepted to board but does sound like a "nope"……anywho, I appreciate the information! Safe journey and see you on board for your final leg!

22 minutes ago, lexmiller said:

Thanks for the info.  We have done only one B2B since the restart, on the Equinox, and testing was done in Quasar by appointment.  This was before this contagious strain was prominent so out of 130 back to backers, there were zero cases so that was great.  You guys have a COR, so if I’m correct, even if you were to test positive on one of the back to back tests, you would still be allowed to continue, not have to go into quarantine, right?  We don’t have a back to back until the spring of 2023 (a B5B actually) so I won’t fret at this time, but now with these super transmissible yet super mild strains, testing positive on the B2B test is a strong possibility.  Also in our case, New Zealand features prominently in the itinerary - NZ has only just opened up to cruises, 5 days ago.  NZ has a history of implementing super strict covid travel restrictions, basically aiming to achieve a zero-covid policy - so pure speculation of course, but it would be no surprise if NZ closes her doors once again, or for instance, if testing positive on a B2B test, if NZ was involved, who knows what sorts of rules might be imposed - thinking here of Italy and Canada regarding their strict quarantine regs.  If B2B testing is still going on then, (I know, speculation! but this is our “BIG” trip, the one that covid crushed in 2020, that we have tried to reschedule several times, but alas!) we would prefer to use the same Binax emed tests that are acceptable to board the ship, to test ourselves and submit the results for the B2B testing - but sounds like that would not be allowed, which it should be, as the test is accepted to board but does sound like a "nope"……anywho, I appreciate the information! Safe journey and see you on board for your final leg!

That is everyone assumption but some keep saying it would not be accepted by Canada unless a PCR test.    Definitely will know more shortly.

• Thanks 1

8/8/2022 -   Time to jump coasts. 

The count down has begun.    We have our OnTrack test scheduled in one hour.   Just because I have so many tests,  I did a pre-test when I got up, mostly to familiarize myself with the iHealth test.    Glad I did as they are different than the eMed tests. 

In the pack you have the test, a swab and the reagent.    When I first opened the reagent I thought it was empty but then looked and in the plastic bag there's a little dropper bottle you put into the reagent capsule.    After you swab you put it in the reagent and turn 15 times and then squeeze the capsule and put a screw top cap on.   Finally you put 3 drops on the test kit.  

0D6EDAF6-3257-4E5F-9413-462D1B00862B.thumb.jpeg.d5bca952f9b63949ffce5882bcabdfc2.jpeg

After 15 minutes the test is ready to read and Yea... Negative

167A0D46-C13B-40E4-853E-9730C104D77E.thumb.jpeg.37904ff9dba4db67eaa0b59f49edfc7e.jpeg

731425E9-E883-4092-A1CD-835B363FB449.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

8/8/2022 -   Time to jump coasts. 

The count down has begun.    We have our OnTrack test scheduled in one hour.   Just because I have so many tests,  I did a pre-test when I got up, mostly to familiarize myself with the iHealth test.    Glad I did as they are different than the eMed tests. 

In the pack you have the test, a swab and the reagent.    When I first opened the reagent I thought it was empty but then looked and in the plastic bag there's a little dropper bottle you put into the reagent capsule.    After you swab you put it in the reagent and turn 15 times and then squeeze the capsule and put a screw top cap on.   Finally you put 3 drops on the test kit.  

0D6EDAF6-3257-4E5F-9413-462D1B00862B.thumb.jpeg.d5bca952f9b63949ffce5882bcabdfc2.jpeg

F0A3A783-4D9A-4328-A2E2-04CAB56E0002.thumb.jpeg.2b4cb1915f67b394069e495edd948944.jpeg

After 15 minutes the test is ready to read and Yea... Negative

4056AD4B-299F-45E4-AEF9-22ED23B74517.jpeg

Congrats on NEGATIVE.  I will be taking my first proctored test two weeks from today before boarding a cruise on 8/21.  I wish I could do it before flying, but requirements are still two days pre cruise (apparently due to Bermuda restrictions).  Just added stress for someone who hates to fly and is worried everything will fit into her luggage (loved your post yesterday with the guy trying to fit everything into his bag).  Overpack?  Hell yes!!!

Enjoy your cruises.

Susan

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Bags are Ready

150F5660-004C-4E17-A98D-20BEDEBF22FC.thumb.jpeg.a02a417b95695a94ea3cfaabc83c7f2b.jpeg

This is great! We use a similar handle cover with foofy ribbons on either side of the handle and a colorful belt around the suitcase. It is amazing how unaware some people can be when picking up luggage from the carousel.

Hope you have no flight delays and enjoy your pre-cruise time in NY/Philly.

• Like 1

Weather over here on the East Coast is HOT HOT HOT! At least it is down where I am. I think NYC the weather channel said is super hot also and you could probably fly through some thunderstorms on your way from Calif. Here's wishing you a safe and enjoyable flight.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I’ve been using these since the canvas bab was picked up by someone.  Now come on. It’s not the most common of bags. 

150F5660-004C-4E17-A98D-20BEDEBF22FC.thumb.jpeg.a02a417b95695a94ea3cfaabc83c7f2b.jpeg

OMG, that is FANTASTIC! I'd love to know where you found them. I tried Amazon and found something similar on Etsy, but not as eye-catching.

Congrat's on your neg tests, and fingers crossed for your flights. 🤞

Safe travels.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Getting early morning alerts from United about strong Thunderstorms in NY Area today

47C78139-9610-41F1-94D7-438DEC1FF964.thumb.png.3caafc6ae8d80b5cd81b85553712c61f.png

Weather forecast shows rain/thunderstorms through next Thursday.  So glad you're coming in a day early.   Travel safe!

17 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Packing is probably easier for us as we can both share clothing as well as being Zenith get free laundry.  

Our strategy has been we pack for 7 days regardless of the length of cruise and then send laundry out ever 2-3 days.   I'm sure that we will not be the only ones that you see wearing the same thing more than once, or twice or three times.   LOL

Love this Jim! Gave me a nice chuckle this morning. Have a great time...looking forward to travelling vicariously with you and Lain.